View Full Version : Oklahoma Tax Commission/motor vehicles Question

OKCJapan
04-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I have a question. I am currently living in Japan but will be coming home to our great city for about 10 months. While I am home, my brother-in-law has agreed to let me use his car. His car are registered in Florida with Florida plates. I have read the rules and regulations on the OTC home page but I have not found an an adequate answer to my situation as I am not owning the car. If anyone has any answers/suggestions, it would be appreciated.

OKCJapan
04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
My question is would I have to register the vehicle in Oklahoma during the 10 month period? After which the car will be returned back to my brother-in-law.

JayhawkTransplant
04-07-2013, 09:14 PM
No, you're okay. But does your brother-in-law live here? If so, he should probably register the car here.

One of my coworkers was given a car by her sister. The car was registered in Arkansas. My coworker decided just to wait until the tag expired to transfer it over to Oklahoma. But when she did register it, they charged her like 8 months of late fees, because you are supposed to transfer the vehicle within 30 days.

So, if your BIL does live here, he should look into getting one of our pretty license plates. :)

OKCJapan
04-08-2013, 04:20 AM
No, you're okay. But does your brother-in-law live here? If so, he should probably register the car here.

One of my coworkers was given a car by her sister. The car was registered in Arkansas. My coworker decided just to wait until the tag expired to transfer it over to Oklahoma. But when she did register it, they charged her like 8 months of late fees, because you are supposed to transfer the vehicle within 30 days.

So, if your BIL does live here, he should look into getting one of our pretty license plates. :)

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my brother-in-law lives in Florida.

rezman
04-08-2013, 04:54 AM
If the brother in law, and the car are both registered in Florida, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure everything is straight for you and the car on the insurance for your long term visit.

BoulderSooner
04-08-2013, 07:55 AM
If the brother in law, and the car are both registered in Florida, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure everything is straight for you and the car on the insurance for your long term visit.

as long as his brothers insurance covers "guest" drivers he would be fine for the entire time