View Full Version : Jaymie Adams murder (prostitute's husband charged in wife's murder)

BBatesokc
04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Naturally I found this case to be interesting from the very beginning. However, recent events have made it even more interesting - and possibly disturbing as to the prosecution's application of the law IMO.

Jaymie Adams (pregnant at the time) was murdered in late 2011 while working as an online prostitute in the OKC area.

Initially her husband, Justin Adams, was charged with murder. Soon thereafter it became apparent something was amiss when the alleged murderer (Justin) was granted bail (unusual in Oklahoma County).

Most recently a man identified as Joseph Cyr is now being charged with the murder of Jaymie Adams and Justin Adams' charges have been reduced to manslaughter.

It is alleged that Cyr was the last known 'John' to have contact with Jaymie the night of her murder and that his DNA was matched to a v_a_g_i_n_a_l swab taken from Jaymie. Cyr had previously denied ever meeting with Jaymie in person.

Justin faces manslaughter (and life in prison) because he was an active participant in his wife's prostitution activities and therefore responsible for her death.

Read more here.... Charges Pending Against Man Accused Of Killing Jaymie Adams - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | (http://www.newson6.com/story/21872142/charges-pending-against-man-accused-of-killing-pregnant-blanchard-mom)

While I don't have any sympathy for Justin or Joseph, the decision to charge Justin with manslaughter is not sitting well with me. As of now there is no evidence Jaymie was being forced or coerced into prostitution. Both Jaymie and Justin prostituted themselves online and were active swingers. I am well aware that prosecutors often charge co-defendants with murder if one of their cohorts is killed in the commission of a crime - usually some sort of robbery (even if killed by police or over zealous pharmacists) - however, I know of no examples where a husband was charged with the death of his wife after she died allegedly engaging in prostitution. As a matter of fact, I haven't read of any evidence that the prosecution can even prove Jaymie was indeed engaged in a criminal act at the moment when she was killed.

In fact, very recently a local S. Robinson pimp (Anthony Wade, aka 'Big Ant'/'Big Mike') was utilized as a star witness for the prosecution against a 'John' that was eventually convicted of murdering local prostitute Lori Green. Wade admitted to prostituting Green all day and being there when she was allegedly murdered by the John, yet Wade was not charged with any crime related to Green's death.

Additionally, there is evidence that Jaymie was engaging in prostitution before ever meeting or marrying Justin.

I could see charging Justin with pandering, aiding and abetting, felony computer crimes, etc., but not manslaughter.

I agree with Justin's mother when she claimed the DA's office is just trying to save face (it also probably isn't helping that Irven Box is the defense lawyer since he has been banned from the DA's office).

Thoughts? Is this a fair application of the law?

ljbab728
04-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I haven't studied this in detail but, on it's face, I totally agree with you.

MustangGT
04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I am open to discuss the various eventuallities. I really look at it not as a husband and wife situation but a pimp and his prostitute. The fact they are husbnad and wife is irrelevant to me. Now why Wade awas not charged in the event mentioned is a mystery to me. I thought he should have been charged, apparently the DA's office felt different.

His mother does not have the cleanest skirts either which I believe will show in courtroom testimony. It is a bad situation but when you make an unending series of bad aka illegal choices you really should not be surprised at a bad outcome.

Midtowner
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
As a matter of law, I don't get the homicide charge. Felony murder is usually limited to violent crimes like burglary and rape and arson. Aiding and abetting prostitution is a huge stretch.

BBatesokc
04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
As a matter of law, I don't get the homicide charge. Felony murder is usually limited to violent crimes like burglary and rape and arson. Aiding and abetting prostitution is a huge stretch.

How would aiding and abetting be a stretch?

He admitted he aided in the furtherance of her crimes of prostitution with the placing of ads and in some cases took her to her appointments. She checked in with him, etc. I've read PCA's that contained far less and still resulted in aiding and abetting charges. He also admitted to posting some of her ads online for the purpose of prostitution - that is all that is required for the felony computer charge - at least based on my experience.

At this point, I don't think the DA's office is even going to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Jaymie was actually committing a crime when she was killed (unless the killer makes a full confession). Speaking of, obviously the John's defense is going to be "I lied about meeting with her and having sex with her because I have a live-in girlfriend. Sure, I met and had sex with her, but then she left. I have no idea what happened to her."

I hope they have more than seamen as evidence. Every hooker killed had been with multiple men who would lie about being with them soon before they died. That said, I'm sure the John is their murderer, but being 'sure' and proving a case are two different things.

But, that's not really my concern. I feel he should be charged with murder. I don't (based on evidence divulged thus far) believe the husband should be charged with manslaughter.

Midtowner
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
How would aiding and abetting be a stretch?

It's not. I meant to say homicide and had a bout of cerebral flatulence.

kevinpate
04-04-2013, 09:29 AM
FWIW:

21 OS 701.8
Homicide is murder in the second degree in the following cases:

1. When perpetrated by an act imminently dangerous to another person and evincing a depraved mind, regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual; or

2. When perpetrated by a person engaged in the commission of any felony other than the unlawful acts set out in Section 1, subsection B, of this act.

The unlawful acts reference to Section 1, subsection B covers specific felonies which make out the crime of felony murder 1st degree under 21 OS 701.7. Those include:

B. ... the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances or synthetic controlled substances, trafficking in illegal drugs, or manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance.

Midtowner
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
How about this:

OUJI-CR 4-92

MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE

BY FELONY MURDER - ELEMENTS

No person may be convicted of murder in the second degree unless the State has proved beyond a reasonable doubt each element of the crime. These elements are:

First, the death of a human;

Second, occurring as a result of an act or event which happened in the commission of a felony;

Third, caused by [the defendant(s)]/[a person engaged with the defendant(s)] while in the commission of a felony;

Fourth, the elements of the [Specify Underlying Felony] defendant(s) is/are alleged to have been in the commission of are as follows:

[Give Elements of Underlying Felony]

They're going to have trouble with that third element I'm guessing.

MikeLucky
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I think Justin needs a better lawyer... Obviously he cut a deal. And, it follows that even when reducing the charge in a plea deal, the DA is still going to try to get the highest charge he can. It SEEMS like this manslaughter charge IS a bit more elevated than it could be.

Jersey Boss
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
FWIW:

21 OS 701.8
Homicide is murder in the second degree in the following cases:

1. When perpetrated by an act imminently dangerous to another person and evincing a depraved mind, regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual; or

2. When perpetrated by a person engaged in the commission of any felony other than the unlawful acts set out in Section 1, subsection B, of this act.

The unlawful acts reference to Section 1, subsection B covers specific felonies which make out the crime of felony murder 1st degree under 21 OS 701.7. Those include:

B. ... the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances or synthetic controlled substances, trafficking in illegal drugs, or manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance.

The thread is going off the rail. The widower is charged with manslaughter, the Skiatook fellow will be charged with
murder 1. There is no murder 2 in any news report.

ljbab728
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I hope they have more than seamen as evidence. Every hooker killed had been with multiple men who would lie about being with them soon before they died. That said, I'm sure the John is their murderer, but being 'sure' and proving a case are two different things.

She was involved with sailors? LOL

Sorry, Brian. I just couldn't resist.

BBatesokc
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
She was involved with sailors? LOL

Sorry, Brian. I just couldn't resist.

You never know! (I'd like to blame autocorrect, but I'm not 100% certain)

Bunty
04-04-2013, 11:58 PM
It was pretty dumb in the first place to make a craig's list ad about wanting to pimp your wife.

kevinpate
04-05-2013, 05:18 AM
dumb and the internet ... hump buddies deluxe.

FFLady
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
It was pretty dumb in the first place to make a craig's list ad about wanting to pimp your wife.

.......to make Christmas a little brighter.......

BBatesokc
04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Update: I've spoken to someone very close to the case and they tell me there is more that has not yet been divulged. Apparently (according to one source, whose information cannot be verified) prosecutor's suspect that Justin was directly involved with the death of his wife Jaymie - as in he knows and was in contact with the now primary suspect. And that this is why Justin remained charged even as detectives were pursuing a new murder suspect.

I could see this scenario playing out, but I also don't exactly see Justin as someone bright enough to mastermind the planned death of his wife using a 3rd party. If true, then the primary suspect will surely testify against Justin to avoid the death penalty.

Midtowner
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
If true, then the primary suspect will surely testify against Justin to avoid the death penalty.

Well, in any event, the primary suspect is going to do that regardless if it keeps him alive. I would think a jury would be slightly skeptical of the testimony of someone given a deal like that.

BBatesokc
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Well, in any event, the primary suspect is going to do that regardless if it keeps him alive. I would think a jury would be slightly skeptical of the testimony of someone given a deal like that.

True, but telling a tale to save your life is quite a bit different than being able to establish a credible link to a co-defendant (especially one who claims to have never met you before).

Midtowner
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
All I'm saying is they're going to need some corroboration for this guy to be very effective.

BBatesokc
04-09-2013, 06:49 AM
All I'm saying is they're going to need some corroboration for this guy to be very effective.

Oh, I agree. If the murder suspect keeps his mouth shut, I'm not even confident the prosecution can show he did anything but have sex with a Internet hooker and then lied about it to keep out of the news and the fact away from his girlfriend.

I'd place my money on that bet if it were not for the fact people have a right to remain silent, but often lack the ability.

Midtowner
04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
It seems, fortunately or unfortunately, that too often, my clients have confessed on KFOR before they bothered to schedule an appointment with me. I doubt this case is much different.

BBatesokc
06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
I attended the prelim today. Justin Adams was bound over - however, there is no link between him and the accused murderer.

The prosecution's case relies solely on the allegation Justin was aiding and abetting his wife in her prostitution and that she died as a result of that prostitution.

I heard nothing in the prelim that established any factual evidence the prosecution can even prove Jaymie was engaged in prostitution at the very moment she was killed.

I think this will be difficult to win for the prosecution unless they can simply make the jury despise Justin so much they'll convict him of anything (which is not unlikely).

kevinpate
06-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Haven't followed this close, not even back in earlier days. But wasn't the hub/defendant giving statements back a ways that he did not kill his spouse, but knew she was off turning a trick when she went missing and admitted that tricks were not an unknown aspect of their lives? maybe I am mixing up more than one case though.