|sq. feet=96,439
|acreage=
|other=130 employees; $110 million total investment
|
|image=http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gewiki1.jpg
|

Information & Latest News
4/18/14: Permits filed for construction trailers
3/21/14: Incentives for GE to be considered (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-economic-development-trust-to-consider-incentives-for-ge/article/3945802)
12/5/13: GE to build research facility (http://newsok.com/ge-to-build-research-facility-near-research-park-in-okc/article/3911662)
Gallery

nyAfe9W-8U8

sgt. pepper
04-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Governor Mary Fallin
6 hours ago.

Tomorrow, we'll have a major jobs and economic development announcement for Oklahoma! Stay tuned for the details!

That is from Gov Fallin's facebook page.

Maybe the jobs are coming to Tulsa, or Enid...Lawton...Ada....Bowlegs??

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Don't know if it is related, but the CEO of the global corporation I work for is coming to our plant in OKC today and supposedly there is a big announcement to be made.

Lots of speculation of a land purchase or acquisition...

The all hands meeting starts at 2pm.

EDIT: Someone heard a rumor that Fallin is supposed to be at our meeting today as well.

Bellaboo
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Don't know if it is related, but the CEO of the global corporation I work for is coming to our plant in OKC today and supposedly there is a big announcement to be made.

Lots of speculation of a land purchase or acquisition...

The all hands meeting starts at 2pm.

EDIT: Someone heard a rumor that Fallin is supposed to be at our meeting today as well. I really wish there was a way to post confidentially.

Can you tell us who you work for ? Or what industry related ?

Zack232
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Gov. Fallin Planning Announcement On Major Economic Development - News9.com (http://m.news9.com/story.aspx?story=21864155&catId=112032)

Just the facts
04-03-2013, 07:46 AM
If that story is correct I suspect it is not tower related but maybe OKC will see a new auto plant building CNG cars.

CaptDave
04-03-2013, 07:51 AM
"Fallin is to appear with GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt Wednesday to announce the next step in the company's global oil and gas strategy. Specifics have not been disclosed, but officials say it's designed to strengthen GE's portfolio of cleaner, more efficient technologies."

GE O&G plant expansion? Relocation of GE O&G to OKC? A new GE Gas Turbine factory? Any of these would be great news but probably not tower material - but it would be cool to see GE in neon at the top of a downtown building.

Is there enough of a shift away from off shore drilling in the Gulf to justify a HQ relocation to OKC? Here is some basic information:

http://www.ge-energy.com/content/multimedia/_files/downloads/Focused%20on%20the%20future%20-%20GE%20Oil%20%26%20Gas.pdf

http://www.offshore-mag.com/articles/2009/03/ge-oil-gas-opens-regional-headquarters-in-houston.html I was a bit surprised they had 2000 employees in Houston.

Spartan
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Just saw Fallin's twitter and saw that the announcement is 30 min away. OKC Talk will be interesting today.

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 08:17 AM
"Fallin is to appear with GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt Wednesday to announce the next step in the company's global oil and gas strategy. Specifics have not been disclosed, but officials say it's designed to strengthen GE's portfolio of cleaner, more efficient technologies."

GE O&G plant expansion? Relocation of GE O&G to OKC? A new GE Gas Turbine factory? Any of these would be great news but probably not tower material - but it would be cool to see GE in neon at the top of a downtown building.

Is there enough of a shift away from off shore drilling in the Gulf to justify a HQ relocation to OKC? Here is some basic information:

http://www.ge-energy.com/content/multimedia/_files/downloads/Focused%20on%20the%20future%20-%20GE%20Oil%20%26%20Gas.pdf

http://www.offshore-mag.com/articles/2009/03/ge-oil-gas-opens-regional-headquarters-in-houston.html I was a bit surprised they had 2000 employees in Houston.

I will go ahead and say that we are not moving O&G from Houston to OKC. That would be a ridiculously huge move, and none of the current rumors lean towards that. I would assume no turbines as well, as all that manufacturing happens in South Carolina and NY, and requires a lot of infrastructural to move parts and units around.

Right now, the only GE presence in OKC is the Artificial Lift company near Tinker. There is also a small healthcare office.

I don't think the press conference will be anything more than a technology announcement, but that may mean they are opening a new facility here. There may be another announcement later in the day though, not sure if it will be public or not. Lots of rumors going around now.

I don't think it is a tower the more I discuss it with people. Sorry to get people excited if I did.

CaptDave
04-03-2013, 08:23 AM
I will go ahead and say that we are not moving O&G from Houston to OKC. That would be a ridiculously huge move, and none of the current rumors lean towards that. I would assume no turbines as well, as all that manufacturing happens in South Carolina and NY, and requires a lot of infrastructural to move parts and units around.

Right now, the only GE presence in OKC is the Artificial Lift company near Tinker. There is also a small healthcare office.

I don't think the press conference will be anything more than a technology announcement, but that may mean they are opening a new facility here. There may be another announcement later in the day though, not sure if it will be public or not. Lots of rumors going around now.

I don't think it is a tower the more I discuss it with people. Sorry to get people excited if I did.

No worries - SWAG's and speculation is the best, most fun, part of this thread. I like the "what if" dreams of what might be in OKC's future even if it may not be in the immediate future. When I saw the Houston O&G HQ was opened in 2009, I assumed it was not likely for it to move to OKC unless there was a drastic shift in business strategy. At any rate, I think it is a good sign for GE to be investing in OK/OKC regardless of the size or business unit. I worked for GE a very long time ago when they had a semiconductor plant in Research Triangle Park, NC - excellent company to work for then I would guess it is the same today.

Pete
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Fallin tweeted this yesterday, so the announcement today will have at least something to do with new job:

Tomorrow, we'll have a major jobs & economic development announcement for Oklahoma! Stay tuned for the details!

Just the facts
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Is there any live coverage of this press conference on radio? KTOK maybe?

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
well, @OKenergybeat will be covering it, and may live tweet the announcement...

UnFrSaKn
04-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Steve is live blogging.

catch22
04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I thought Steve was live blogging from the place making conference in Norman.

BrettM2
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I thought Steve was live blogging from the place making conference in Norman.

He is. I just checked to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Steve is covering the norman conference.

Anonymous.
04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
There are currently 44 users browsing this thread. (20 members and 24 guests)

OKC. Fever.

Harvey Hudson
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I am betting it will be a GE production plant. The plant will produce the home version of cng pumps....

UnFrSaKn
04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Oh sorry about that for assuming. Didn't really read it but skimmed over.

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Nope. Its going to be a research facility. They arent sure of a location, but hopefully it would be in OKC since the only other plant is in OKC.

Big deal though, lots of jobs will be coming.

LocoAko
04-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Jay F. Marks ‏@OKenergybeat 38s
. @generalelectric to build global #oilandgas research center in Oklahoma, company announces with @GovMaryFallin

Pete
04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Jay F. Marks ‏@OKenergybeat 38s
. @generalelectric to build global #oilandgas research center in Oklahoma, company announces with @GovMaryFallin

I'm hearing they've bought land for this new facility; won't be downtown.

Not sure where, though.

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Nothing has been released, but they say they will release the location in a few weeks once its final. Nothing indicated a city, just that the center will be in Oklahoma.

tillyato
04-03-2013, 09:13 AM
This is great news. Any idea how many jobs will be created by the new research center?

Rover
04-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Not sure where, though.

But in OKC?

Just the facts
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Not sure where, though.

Probably on Memorial Road.

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
~125 engineering jobs, no clue how many support roles.

Thundercitizen
04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
So.........do these research facilities require 40 or 50 floors?

:)

vaflyer
04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
$110 million investment

Will be located in OKC metro (via Gov. Mary Fallin Twitter)

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Governor Mary Fallin ‏@GovMaryFallin
New @GE_oilandgas research center will be in OKC metro area. Other centers in Munich, Shanghai, Bangalore ... And now Oklahoma!

Rover
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Broadway extension would be good, if not downtown. It feeds downtown well. Any chance Aubrey is involved?

OSUPeterson
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
GRC centers are not normally partnered with anyone. They may work on projects that are involved with other companies, but the GRC itself would be a GE only thing.

jsandmann
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
General Electric media information for journalists and the press - Press-Releases - GE to Build Oil & Gas Global Research Center in Oklahoma - General Electric media information for journalists and the press (http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Releases/GE-to-Build-Oil-Gas-Global-Research-Center-in-Oklahoma-3ef1.aspx)

GE to Build Oil and Gas Global Research Center in Oklahoma.

Pete
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Press Release

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

GE to Build Oil & Gas Global Research Center in Oklahoma
$110 Million Investment to Drive Best-In-Class Technology, Create 125 High-Tech Jobs

OKLAHOMA CITY – General Electric (NYSE: GE) today announced that it will build a new Global Research Center in Oklahoma dedicated to driving innovation and technological advancements in the oil and gas sector and bringing products to market faster. The new facility, which is GE Research’s first sector-specific Center, represents a $110 million investment by the company and will result in the creation of 125 high-tech engineering jobs initially, in disciplines ranging from mechanical and electrical to systems and software engineering. These researchers will join GE’s global network of 50,000 world-class scientists and engineers who are working to solve some of the world’s toughest challenges.

GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt and Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin made the announcement at the state capitol here today. The launch of the new Center comes as the availability of unconventional resources, such as shale gas, is changing the global energy landscape and has the potential to create jobs, fuel innovation and lead to greater energy independence. The Center will initially focus on technologies that enable safe, efficient and reliableproduction, delivery and use of unconventional oil and gas.

GE Oil & Gas is the company's fastest-growing business, with revenues of more than $15 billion and earnings and new orders having each grown 16 percent in 2012. GE has grown its oil and gas portfolio to win in today's dynamic landscape, bringing to bear industry-leading technologies and services in turbomachinery, subsea drilling, pressure control, remote monitoring and diagnostics.

“Unconventional resources, and shale gas in particular, may be one of the biggest productivity drivers of our lifetime,” said GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt. “At GE, we see a tremendous opportunity in the oil and gas space. Since 2007, we have invested $11 billion to build broad technical capabilities that can deliver productivity gains and foster innovation for our customers. Collaboration is key to leading the unconventional resource revolution, and in Governor Fallin and the people of Oklahoma, we’ve found excellent partners.”

Oklahoma City is home to GE Oil & Gas’s Artificial Lift business, which is a recognized leader in electric submersible pump (ESP) manufacturing and services with more than 550 GE employees located here. The search for a specific site for the new center is under way and expected to be completed soon. GE is currently evaluating locations that will help the company capitalize on the renowned academic institutions, including the University of Oklahoma, as well as the skilled workforce in the Oklahoma City area. To learn more about the new Center, please visit Oklahoma City OKUSA : Locations : GE Global Research (http://ge.geglobalresearch.com/locations/oklahoma-city-ok-usa).

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin said, “In Oklahoma, we know that America’s energy security and economic well-being demand more domestic energy production. Technology continues to be the key to unlocking new energy resources and effectively utilizing those we have already discovered. I am thrilled that GE, with its rich history of innovation, has chosen Oklahoma as the home for these new technologies. Their announcement today is one more indication that our state is nationally and even internationally recognized as a leader in energy and the home of a dynamic and robust economy. Whether it’s international powerhouses like GE or small businesses, Oklahoma is a fantastic place to locate and to invest in.”

The new research center will become part of GE’s growing global Research network. With Centers around the world, GE Global Research is the hub of technology development for all of GE's businesses, acting as an innovation incubator to bring products and solutions to market faster.

Mark Little, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, GE said, “The ability to access substantial new oil and gas resources will require significant investments in new technology over the next decade. At GE, we’re meeting this challenge head on, investing more than $10 billion annually across the company to launch new products and build global capability. This new Center is another step in that commitment and helping create the next generation of technologies, which will make this ‘unconventional’ energy source conventional and ‘sustainable.”

GE Oil & Gas’s Artificial Lift business will benefit from the close proximity to the new center. Artificial lift technologies are of growing importance as they can make new oil fields more efficient and mature fields that were once viewed as depleted, productive again.

Daniel C. Heintzelman, President and CEO, GE Oil & Gassaid, “Advancements in technology are revolutionizing the way energy is produced, whether it be deeper subsea fields, hard to reach unconventional resource sources, or mature oil fields getting a second life. The creation of the new Center, in close proximity to many of our customers, will allow us to accelerate the development of new technologies and enable GE to deliver even more advanced solutions to our customers faster.”

This center represents another major GE investment in U.S. technology research. In the past three years alone, GE has established an Advanced Manufacturing and Software Center outside of Detroit, Michigan; started a new global software center in Silicon Valley; and added 100 new researchers to its global research headquarters in upstate New York. Taken together with the new Center, the total number of R&D jobs being created will exceed 2,300 and represent an investment totaling hundreds of millions of dollars.

betts
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
It would be nice if they bought land on Lincoln. If they're not going downtown. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see it on Britton and Broadway either.

Just the facts
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Three words: University North Park.

sgt. pepper
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Maybe in the area of the paycom office? Out there in no man's land?

DoctorTaco
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Pete, at this point methinks the GE announcement should be moved to its own thread. This nis fantastic news but obviously not a new tower, as the lab is going to need space for heavy equipment, warehouses and such.

Rover
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Interesting. Why do you say?

vaflyer
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

That was my thought. It is also next to a general aviation airport which would benefit GE. If true, that might explain the delays in approving the advanced manufacturing facility there.

CurtisJ
04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I would just add, these Global Research Centers that GE has, don't employ your run of the mill engineers (run of the mill engineer speaking here), these centers are staffed with PhD scientists and engineers, some of the best and brightest around. The extra cash injected by these positions into Oklahoma City's economy could be significantly more than your average 125 job addition.

Also, they are a significant draw to GE's customers, who like to see the shiney new toys that they will get to play with in the future.

Teo9969
04-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Maybe in the area of the paycom office? Out there in no man's land?

I would guess Memorial is out of the question, since it's nowhere near a major university nor is it on an artery that leads to one.

Bellaboo
04-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Probably out by Tinker near their submersible pump facility.

Just the facts
04-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Interesting. Why do you say?

Just a guess, but they did single out OU in their press release.

HangryHippo
04-03-2013, 10:00 AM
JTF's idea of University North Park makes a lot of sense, but so does space out by Tinker since they already have their lift facility there. No matter where, this is a big win for the OKC metro.

vaflyer
04-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Just a guess, but they did single out OU in their press release.

I did not see Mayor Mick in the picture Gov. Fallin posted on twitter and the Gov office said OKC metro and not OKC. That supports University North Park as a possible location.

LakeEffect
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Nm

LakeEffect
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I did not see Mayor Mick in the picture Gov. Fallin posted on twitter and the Gov office said OKC metro and not OKC. That supports University North Park as a possible location.

The Mayor might be at the OU Placemaking conference...

dankrutka
04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Why not at OU's south research campus off highway 9?

Pete
04-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Yep. Makes a lot of sense, although I'd prefer to see it in OKC.

G.Walker
04-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Yes, I would suspect either there or University North Park.

bchris02
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Ill really be surprised if its not in Norman.

adaniel
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM

I think this would be a great place for it. There really isn't a big name tenant in that area.

I think GE will decide on Norman to, for nothing else, be near the "brain power" of the Mewbourne School of Earth and Energy and the Sarkeys Center.

And while I would love for it to be in OKC, Norman hasn't had too many economic development wins as of late. Here's hoping Cindy Rosenthal is phoning Jack Welch.

LordGerald
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I think this would be a great place for it. There really isn't a big name tenant in that area.

I think GE will decide on Norman to, for nothing else, be near the "brain power" of the Mewbourne School of Earth and Energy and the Sarkeys Center.

And while I would love for it to be in OKC, Norman hasn't had too many economic development wins as of late. Here's hoping Cindy Rosenthal is phoning Jack Welch.

Actually, Norman just received (Oct. 2012) a $2.5 million grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration for construction of the University North Park project.

ou48A
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
University North Park makes the most long term sense.
There is a nice nearby hotel and airport. Traffic is not horrible.

OU graduates would develop a high familiarity with this facility leading to internships and employment possibilities.
There are respectable Norman schools. Quality affordable housing and other PHD’s in the Norman area to hang with.
The GE / ESP lift center doesn’t really do PHD level work.
This is exactly the type of jobs that Norman & OU should be going after with incentives.
It could lead to research collaboration with OU.

onthestrip
04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Oh, another thread speculating on the location of something...I think Im done with this thread for a while.

Jersey Boss
04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Jack retired from GE over 10 years ago.

Pete
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
The only thing about the South OU location would be GE's stated intention to have access to OKC's labor force.

It still may be their choice, but it's pretty darn far from where the majority of people live in the metro.

Anonymous.
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Nevermind. Already posted.