View Full Version : Worst U.S. cities for allergy sufferers

kelroy55
04-02-2013, 06:58 AM
OKC made the top 10 in both top 10 worst allergy cities for 2013 and The Asthma and Allergy Foundation list of the worst cities for fall allergy sufferers.

Worst U.S. cities for allergy sufferers - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/health/worst-allergy-cities/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Bunty
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
So use corticosteroid nasal spray for nasal allergies. Works as good or better than antihistamines with less likelihood of your body growing resistance to it.

BBatesokc
04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
So use corticosteroid nasal spray for nasal allergies. Works as good or better than antihistamines with less likelihood of your body growing resistance to it.

Wish it were that simple. Doctor has recommended several and none work for me, and more than half made me too tired to function. Have to rely on a netti pot and/or just suffer through it.

HangryHippo
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Haha, this isn't true at all. And nasal sprays do little for allergy sufferers.

bombermwc
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Sprays are much like a netti pot, they simply rinse out what particles are currently in your sinuses. That does help, but i by no means, cures anything. Allergies are one of those things that change over time as well. Most people develop them as they get older rather than getting over them. Honestly, i'd try to not use an antihistimine unless it's really bad. If it's clear, just let it flow. You can always go for a decongestant for that pressure. A little local honey will help with a cough...just take a spoonful by itself. It's mostly urban rumor that the local stuff helps with allergies, but you feel better from the placebo affect anyway :) <-I've personally tested this for years....it's bull for everyone i've ever tested with....but it sure is a tastey test.

mkjeeves
04-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Absolutely! At least ten years ago after some severe ear infections from allergy sinus problems and decades of misery, I started using Beconase AQ and it changed my life. (prescription required.) I still have some problems but nothing like I did before. There has been a couple of days of high tree pollen in the last weeks that have been tough though. I am seeing some changes with lung and bronchial reactions to irritants as I get older too.

kelroy55
04-03-2013, 07:16 AM
I've been lucky and I don't have allergies or what my dad called hay fever.

mkjeeves
04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Hay fever is a specific allergy to grass pollen. There's other pollens some people have allergies too as well as dust, animal dander, mold, both household and things like leaf molds that happen a lot in the fall, not to mention chemical irritants like cleaners and air fresheners. I get hit spring and fall the hardest. Formerly would get an annual ear infection every fall from it but haven't in quite some time.

Bunty
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Haha, this isn't true at all. And nasal sprays do little for allergy sufferers.
Then why do corticosteroid nasal spray work for me? Because I'm quite a highly remarkable exception to the rule? Antihistamines work for me until I grow resistance to them, and so the need for the corticosteroid spray.

Anonymous.
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Are there any incentives for people and farmers to remove cedar trees? Every summer during fire season, I celebrate on the inside when I see a cedar go up in flames.

Dubya61
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Are there any incentives for people and farmers to remove cedar trees? Every summer during fire season, I celebrate on the inside when I see a cedar go up in flames.

Smart land-owners do remove them, when they can. NOBODY wants a can-of-gasoline-on-stick growing on their land during fire season.

bluedogok
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I've been lucky and I don't have allergies or what my dad called hay fever.
My sister has had allergies since she was a baby (almost 12 years younger than me) but neither my father nor I had any kind of sinus allergies (I had a couple of drug allergies) until the early 90's. I started getting them when I moved back to OKC from Dallas in 1993. To me Austin has been the worst place for allergies, cedar didn't bother me much down there for the first 4 years but after that the "cedar fever" was bad for me. My wife and I are doing better up here in Colorado but still have them, just not as bad as in Austin.

Then why do corticosteroid nasal spray work for me? Because I'm quite a highly remarkable exception to the rule? Antihistamines work for me until I grow resistance to them, and so the need for the corticosteroid spray.
Because different things work for different people. I could rotate Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec (all the D versions with pseudoephedrine) or Flonase about every 4-6 months and then they would quit working. Up here we can stay pretty much with Zyrtec-D without rotating.