View Full Version : Lawn Care

Zuplar
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Figured I'd see if anyone had a really good lawn care company they'd like to recommend. I'm looking for someone to spray my yard. I tried my best to get the weeds under control last year, but because the house had previously sat empty for so long it got out of control and I think it needs some professional treatments to get it under control. I have an acre but really only want to do half of it. Anyone know of anyone really good at a fair and reasonable price?

stick47
03-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Call Don at 405 four 96 333 four
or theweedguyatcox.net (insert @ symbol)

He's a fireman and does my lawn for 2/3 of the price Agrilawn was going to charge.

metro
03-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Baldwin Lawn Care out of Edmond.

stick47
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Zuplar is near Mustang which is where I live Metro so I imagine my guy would be handier than the one in Edmond.

stick47
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I rescind my above recommendation of Don ( theweedguy a tcox.net )

His "professional fertilizer application" consisted of the narrow strip shown here. I fired him and put down 60 lbs of my own treatment to try to blend it together. I asked for a refund but haven't heard back from him.

Zuplar
09-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Wow that is very disappointing. We ended up going with Trugreen (maybe not the cheapest), but honestly have been very impressed with the results. Our house was a foreclosure and the yard had gotten very overgrown. It is 100% better, to the point where I may do one more season with them, then just take care of it myself. I just knew there was nothing I could do to get the weeds under control. It needed commercial care to get it under control.

Roger S
09-06-2013, 06:29 AM
I rescind my above recommendation of Don ( theweedguy a tcox.net )

His "professional fertilizer application" consisted of the narrow strip shown here. I fired him and put down 60 lbs of my own treatment to try to blend it together. I asked for a refund but haven't heard back from him.

You have some LONG legs dude! ;)

ThomPaine
09-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Royal Gardens Landscaping (Rob 405-990-6151) has been spraying, cutting, and seeding my lawn for a couple years. They do a great job.

Easy180
02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Have a question for any lawn gurus. My sod just went in last October. Should I have someone come out and spray now or do I need to handle my brand new lawn differently?

TheTravellers
02-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Dan Hill, Hill's Turf Management, 405-626-1919 - local guy out of Edmond, reasonable price (but I'm a small city lot), actually almost too good (lawn went crazy one year because of the weather and his fertilizer, so I asked him to not come out for a couple of months, and he was OK with that). Monthly applications between March and September, I think, pre-, post-, fertilizer, spot kill, etc.

Garin
02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Some guys will say no spray , some will say it's ok it's gonna depend on the applicator. I might worry since the sod was laid when it was close to being dormant

Zuplar
02-11-2014, 06:07 PM
So since this thread got brought back I'll comment. My neighbor invested in a sprayer and since I'm storing it for him will be getting to use it for free. We plan on doing our own lawns this year so hopefully it turns out well. He has quite a bit more knowledge than me and for the fact no one had lived in his house for a year he did a pretty good job the first year. I think it will end up saving use money since we both have a little over an acre.

rezman
02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
We used to use Steve's Lawn Care out of Mustang for our commercial properties. On my residential lawn, while it is completely dormant, I am going to spray Roundup. This will not hurt the bermuda as long as there is absolutly no green in it, but it will take care any weeds in the yard.

Achilleslastand
02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Have a question for any lawn gurus. My sod just went in last October. Should I have someone come out and spray now or do I need to handle my brand new lawn differently?

I had some Bermuda sod installed last June and for 10 weeks afterwards did nothing but a couple of light fertilizations. I would think 4 months would be enough time until you treat it......idk I assume your putting down preventative weed control?

Easy180
02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
I had some Bermuda sod installed last June and for 10 weeks afterwards did nothing but a couple of light fertilizations. I would think 4 months would be enough time until you treat it......idk I assume your putting down preventative weed control?

That would be my thought. I know if I call the company would just say I need it so I just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good.

Easy180
05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Ok...Bermuda grass...Should I keep watering on odd days or dial it back to twice a week? Buddy telling me Bermuda doesn't need that much water.

Achilleslastand
05-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I would think 2 times a week would be adequate. I might also add some light fertilizer 13-13-13 and water It in as well.

betts
05-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Ask them to use organic fertilizer and please don't use any pesticides/insecticides. That stuff is poison for beneficial I sects too and all the bees dying threatens our food supply in the not too distant future.

mkjeeves
05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Ok...Bermuda grass...Should I keep watering on odd days or dial it back to twice a week? Buddy telling me Bermuda doesn't need that much water.

I'm trying to re-establish fescue areas that have taken a beating over the years and particularly in the last couple. My land is sloped and shady, so bermuda is out but something to hold the dirt from erosion is critical.

Found a couple of things on the watering end that interest me for sprinkler systems, smart controllers take weather information from sensors at your house, from NOAA or similar, or both and adjust your watering schedule. WaterSense Labeled Irrigation Controllers | WaterSense | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/products/controltech.html)

Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/RainMachine-Forecast-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Controller/dp/B00CT5PNBU

Since they get that through the internet, most of them are designed where you can do set up and adjustments to them from a computer or a phone.

Or you can do some of that information gathering about how long to water and how often yourself with the help of the mesonet calculator: SIP (http://sip.mesonet.org/)

RadicalModerate
05-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Water is for drinking, washing dishes, and maintaining your herb garden.
Plant more rocks. Instead of watering a pet lawn. -)

mkjeeves
05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Water is for drinking, washing dishes, and maintaining your herb garden.
Plant more rocks. Instead of watering a pet lawn. -)

Meh. I've lived on this acre for nearly two decades and water for the lawn has been minimal. Almost none since the well silted in and we connected to city water. (I can't remember when the last time we watered anything but the flowerbeds in the last 15 or so years.) However, the grass is there for a reason, to knit the dirt together and keep it from blowing away or moving into my neighbors yard when it does rain. It needs a little helping along, reseeding, some water to get it going again and probably more general care than we've given it in the past. Worse case, it might be time to replace that well.

TheTravellers
02-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Probably need to get the yard at our new house sprayed (and figure out what to do with all the massive bald spots in the yard - it's fun to inherit a place where maintenance (on everything, not just the lawn) was ignored for years), want to use organic/as-natural-as-possible stuff, and I see a few companies out there that do that, anybody ever use any of them? Hate to just blindly pick one...

Looks like these are the top/only companies in the area (we're on NW 36th/May, so Norman and Edmond companies might not want to come that far, but don't know that for sure):

https://naturalawn.com/oklahoma-ok
http://www.urbanlawnandgarden.com/
https://www.trugreen.com/products-and-services/natural-lawn-care

I'm sure there are others, but this is just what turned up after a couple of hours of googling. Thanks for any clues...

TheTravellers
03-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Well, here's my experience with the 3 I listed above after I filled out the "Get a quote" on all 3 of their websites.

TruGreen - first to call back (within a couple of hours), but seriously aggressive sales pitch and callbacks. Told him I'd look at the email he sent when I got home (I don't have access to home email while at work since I work for a bank, and my home email is IMAP and redirects incoming mail to different folders, not all of which I have access to on my phone) and that I was waiting on 2 other companies so I could compare all 3. Called me back at least 8 times Sat morning until I blocked him, so not dealing with them, that's way out of line.

Urban Lawn and Garden - no response from the website form, so I tried looking up their number on their website, but it's gone (HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.), so looked up their number elsewhere and left a message. Never heard back, not dealing with them.

NaturaLawn - got an email from them a day after I filled out the form, said he had been by our lot and could do my yard for $65 (corner lot), so emailed him back asking him to call me so I could discuss further. Took a day to get a callback due to spring break and him being busy with work and kids, but it all sounded reasonable. Have to use pre- (corn gluten meal) and post-emergent (not organic, chemicals, but not the most horrible ones) because we've had so much bad stuff come up already. Once we get the first application down and maybe some fertilizer (everything they do except post-emergent is organic/natural), we should be in good shape.

Bellaboo
03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
I use Weed Man.

I choose the 5 application plan, while they also have a 7 application plan.

This is my second year and was happy how things turned out last year. I prepay for the year, so it's $40 per application.

If any weed shows back up I call and they come out within the next week and hit it again at no charge.

FighttheGoodFight
03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Well, here's my experience with the 3 I listed above after I filled out the "Get a quote" on all 3 of their websites.

TruGreen - first to call back (within a couple of hours), but seriously aggressive sales pitch and callbacks. Told him I'd look at the email he sent when I got home (I don't have access to home email while at work since I work for a bank, and my home email is IMAP and redirects incoming mail to different folders, not all of which I have access to on my phone) and that I was waiting on 2 other companies so I could compare all 3. Called me back at least 8 times Sat morning until I blocked him, so not dealing with them, that's way out of line.

Urban Lawn and Garden - no response from the website form, so I tried looking up their number on their website, but it's gone (HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.), so looked up their number elsewhere and left a message. Never heard back, not dealing with them.

NaturaLawn - got an email from them a day after I filled out the form, said he had been by our lot and could do my yard for $65 (corner lot), so emailed him back asking him to call me so I could discuss further. Took a day to get a callback due to spring break and him being busy with work and kids, but it all sounded reasonable. Have to use pre- (corn gluten meal) and post-emergent (not organic, chemicals, but not the most horrible ones) because we've had so much bad stuff come up already. Once we get the first application down and maybe some fertilizer (everything they do except post-emergent is organic/natural), we should be in good shape.

I think a lot of lawn care guys just dont use the web. Then again when I was getting set up with a company I called 5 places and only one called me back. He is still my guy.

Super Green Lawns -- Mike Hall -- 405-905-8460

Midtowner
03-16-2017, 06:36 PM
We were with All Green and switched to True Green.

I am overall satisfied with True Green. True Green's service is a little more chemically tailored to my lawn, which is needed as I have a pecan and sweetgum tree, both which produce high acid fruit which needs to be neutralized.

That said, my biggest problem with True Green is that they milk the hell out of that relationship. I did buy insulation from them because it was actually a great deal, but just the other day, they called hocking an insect control service. The salesperson was obviously following a script, but it just set me off when they asked me what objections I might have to buying for their services. I was pissed that they called me and I was actually being told to justify to them why I would not buy their stuff. Maybe I'd just had a bad day. That poor guy at the call center...

TheTravellers
03-16-2017, 06:53 PM
I think a lot of lawn care guys just dont use the web. Then again when I was getting set up with a company I called 5 places and only one called me back. He is still my guy.

Super Green Lawns -- Mike Hall -- 405-905-8460

Yeah, lots of small-ish businesses don't use the web, but if you're going to ignore anything sent electronically, just don't even pretend to care about that part and take the "contact us" part of your website out and just list a phone number. Of course, it also helps if you actually call back the people that want to give you money, but maybe they don't need any more customers.

Just had NaturaLawn come out and spray post-emergent today, probably going to go through the whole plan this year and see how it goes and maybe scale down from then on since the previous tenants didn't do much to the yard for the past few years, so it needs lots of help.

Zuplar
03-16-2017, 07:06 PM
I've been spraying my yard with a pull behind sprayer my neighbor and I invested in. The sprayer has been the biggest crap and with how much a PITA it is to fix and how expensive the chemicals are, I'm thinking about going back to have mine done. Problem is I have an acre and I know it's not going to be cheap.

stick47
03-23-2017, 05:23 PM
One acre here too Zupler. I'm using Barefoot Turf to treat my lawn. Scott is always timely with the applications. If rain is due later in the week he's here before then. 10K sf front is $75 for fert. Preemerg for all runs $135 per treatment.