View Full Version : The Bible (Mini-Series)

G.Walker
03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Just finished watching Part 4 of the History Channel's mini-series of The Bible. Great adaptation from book to television and the touching of many lives. Glad to see this happening....

OKCJapan
03-25-2013, 06:46 AM
I have heard about it, but I am a bit skeptical because I have found most of the bible based movies or mini-series take to many liberties. However, if I have a chance I will check it out.

SoonerDave
03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I have watched all of it, and given that it is a dramatic adaptation of the entire Bible into a ten-hour television movie, I believe they have done a credible job. There have been some omissions, liberties, and dramatic license taken, but my best assessment from what I've seen so far is that it is a sincere and good-faith effort to represent the broad Biblical timeline from Moses to Christ.

In the past, I have found many of these productions wanting, but I think one feature that has compelled my interest is this particular series is the way the characters are drawn. By that I mean the prominent figures in these stories have not been depicted as some glowing, heroic, "beautiful people," but as flawed, everyday people chosen by God to play amazing roles in His history. They've been decidedly understated in the use of grandiose special effects, which I think is also to their credit.

I think last night's episode was particularly compelling in that it depicted the paradoxical parallels in how Caiaphas, the Jewish leader who answered to Pilate, really believed he was doing the right thing in getting rid of a "blasphemer", but could not comprehend that he was blinded to the reality of Christ's identity.

In general, I think its well done. By no means perfect, of course, some omissions I certainly would not have chosen, but in the broader view of what they're trying to accomplish, I think the production is good.

BBatesokc
03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
I have heard about it, but I am a bit skeptical because I have found most of the bible based movies or mini-series take to many liberties. However, if I have a chance I will check it out.

What? An interpretation of the Bible taking 'liberties'? Say it isn't so.......

kelroy55
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
What? An interpretation of the Bible taking 'liberties'? Say it isn't so.......

Hard to believe isn't it

Rover
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I am curious what "liberties" are being taken with the Word? Specifically? Non believers will believe the whole thing is "taking liberties". Biblical scholars already disagree over certain interpretations. But, in fact, the Bible is the most documented and authenticated ancient history that exists.

GaryOKC6
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
I have watched the all and so fay they are pretty close to the bible. This actually surprises me because anytime you have filmmakers trying to make a movie to sell to the public they try to change it to be more dramatic. I have really enjoyed them.

SoonerDave
03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Rover,

Can't speak for anyone else other than myself, but the things I am referring to as "liberties" are generally under the heading of things in Scripture that the series chose not to depict, or things depicted in the series depicted that are not explicitly delineated in Scripture. But please don't take that to suggest I think they're omitting things malevolently. There are obvious practicalities involved in condensing the breadth of the Bible into a ten hour series.

One example: When Moses faced the burning bush, God told him to remove his sandals, for where he was standing was holy ground. This was not depicted. Did it diminish from the broader representation of the burning bush experience? No, but were I involved in the production, I would not have omitted that. Some will say that's being nitpicky, some not.

Either way, I don't mean or want to start any kind of theological fight. What I've seen so far has been good, and am looking forward to the finale next week. It is very refreshing to see a secular representation of the bible not predisposed to trashing or ridiculing it.

traemac
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
for anyone who has watched them all, i have them on dvr now and trying to watch them in order. i have only seen the beginnings one but in it, there was no reference to the creation of the world, adam and eve. there was only about a one minute clip of noah. is there an episode before this that i am missing? i felt like the beginnings episode started with the story of abraham.

Dubya61
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
They sort of talked through the creation story while Noah's story was coming to the screen.

kelroy55
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I am curious what "liberties" are being taken with the Word? Specifically? Non believers will believe the whole thing is "taking liberties". Biblical scholars already disagree over certain interpretations. But, in fact, the Bible is the most documented and authenticated ancient history that exists.

People have taken liberties with the Bible for many many years, depends on what agenda they have.

SoonerBeerMan
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I like it. The only thing that gets me is everyone has a British accent! That just rubs the historical/OCD side of me the wrong way. :)

PennyQuilts
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I guess it is the audience they are pitching to, but it seems like a lot of the more decadent stories were glossed over - and a lot of those particular stories went a long way to rounding out important characters in the bible. I took some pre-seminary classes in college and that really forced us to dig into the bible. I learned a lot that I never was taught in Sunday School and this series skips over a lot of rough details, too. I know they have to edit for the sake of time and continuity, but I think they've also edited to make it something you can show in Sunday School. It seems pretty white washed but I know a lot of people/families have really enjoyed it.

sacolton
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I stopped watching it after episode two with Lot and Sodom & Gomorrah. They really took a lot of liberties in that story. First of all, the men of Sodom & Gomorrah wanted to have sex with the angels. Lot begged them to leave his guests alone, but ... hey ... how about my virgin daughters? Do whatever you want with them. Go crazy! No? How about my wife? Not interested?

No mention of Lots daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him either?

This is our Holy Book. If we can't stomach the real story ... why even bother telling it? This mini-series is way too Disney.