View Full Version : John Doak

HangryHippo
03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like he's getting some attention: Feds to take broad control enforcing insurance law in Oklahoma | News OK (http://newsok.com/feds-to-take-broad-control-enforcing-insurance-law-in-oklahoma/article/3768046)

OKCisOK4me
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
"Ritze is the author of a bill nullifying the Affordable Care Act in Oklahoma."

Does this bill mean that I can't shop for that affordable health care outside of Oklahoma, thru the federal government?

onthestrip
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Nothing like failing to uphold the oath of their offices of obeying the constitution so they can pander some more to their conservative base...

Dubya61
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Nothing like failing to uphold the oath of their offices of obeying the constitution so they can pander some more to their conservative base...

I don't believe that the action Oklahoma undertook to not set up state exchanges is contrary to the constitution. It is a clear option in PPACA.

Larry OKC
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I am no fan of Mr. Doak but, the article also mentioned that Gov Henry's (a Democrat) administration was of the same mind

In 2010, then-Oklahoma Secretary of State Susan Savage also wrote to federal officials that state law did not allow the insurance commissioner to enforce federal laws.
Read more from this Tulsa World article at Oklahoma on notice: Feds to take broad control enforcing insurance law in state | Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=504&articleid=20130321_504_0_Federa107118)

OKCTalker
03-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Doak is dirty and I can't wait until his re-election bid. He packed his office with former legistlator buddies, bought a bunch of law enforcement-grade vehicles as staff cars, flies around in state aircraft (including multiple helicopter tours of storm damaged areas) and even has an arsenal of weapons. The state INSURANCE office?

He's cut from the same cloth as Gene Stipe.

SoonerDave
03-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Reality is that he is upholding what the state constitution limits him to do.

Midtowner
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Reality is that he is upholding what the state constitution limits him to do.

I hate to break it to ya, but the state constitution can't override the federal one. Basic federalism, 8th grade civics. Since Obamacare has been declared constitutional, Doak is definitely violating his oath of office.

SoonerDave
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
I hate to break it to ya, but the state constitution can't override the federal one. Basic federalism, 8th grade civics. Since Obamacare has been declared constitutional, Doak is definitely violating his oath of office.

I'm talking about his state constitutional latitude to enforce federal law, that's all. I understand Obamacare is the law, Mid.

Dubya61
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM

How so? Perhaps I'm ignorant on this subject, but If PPACA permits the state to waive the creation of a state-run exchange and let the feds do it, clearly not setting up a state-run exchange is a legal and constitutional option.

Midtowner
03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
The Medicare opt-in wasn't the only aspect of ObamaCare. I'm talking about mandates as to coverage and the treatment of preexisting conditions, etc.