View Full Version : Former OU QB Steve Davis dies in plane crash...

Soonerus
03-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Very sad deal...

ljbab728
03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Airplane crashes into three homes in Indiana - FOX23 News (http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Airplane-crashes-into-three-homes-in-Indiana/ERdetTeTiUSvfcPz-Gx2Kw.cspx)

This is tragic. He was always a class act and a great representative of all that was good about athletics and the university.

This in an interesting short perspective from a few years ago about Steve.

JAMES STEVEN DAVIS | News OK (http://newsok.com/james-steven-davis/article/2725153)

SoonerDave
03-18-2013, 07:09 AM
As a ten year old kid, I remember watching Steve Davis play QB for OU and win national titles, and he was among the players who spoiled me rotten on OU's winning tradition.

This is a tremendous loss not just for the University of Oklahoma football program and its history, but for the state as well. Amid all the negativity we typically hear about many athletes at the pro and college level, Steve Davis was a tremendous ambassador for OU, and a tremendous representative for the good things and strong people that can come out of collegiate athletics.

Prayers to his family. Tragic, tragic loss.

rcjunkie
03-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I was on the practice squad during Steve's Sophomore year. What a class act he was, very humble. Definitely a sad day for Sooner Fans

PennyQuilts
03-18-2013, 08:07 AM
OMG, I had no idea. What a shame.

kelroy55
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
My thoughts and prayers to the family.

venture
03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Heard about the crash when it happened, didn't realize who was in it. Thoughts with those on board and also those on the ground who were injured.

ou48A
03-18-2013, 10:42 AM
RIP Mr. Steve Davis.

What a great person he was! He positively impacted the lives of many people long after his football days, including myself.
The Sooner nation will dearly miss this great man….. but heaven is a better place now.

On the field he was the best example of how important persuasive leadership can be when leading a great team. Steve was a good, but not great wishbone QB. But it was Steve’s leadership that was such a huge key on some of OU's very best teams.

The news of his death saddens me a great deal. My thoughts and prayers go out to all family and friends.

SoonerDave
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
As I heard on the radio this morning, Steve Davis was a great tactician with the wishbone even if he might not have been the most physically or athletically gifted one to run it. He was able to take advantage of defenses that would quickly key on Joe Washington on the corner and put on some pretty nifty inside cuts upfield. One of his most memorable runs was on a simple QB sneak against Nebraska in, I believe, 1973, that he broke some 30-40 yards for a touchdown. You could tell by his reaction even during the play that he was stunned to find the line so wide open.

What will to me epitomize the kind of man Steve Davis was is in the story from last fall in the way he reached out to Landry Jones amid all the criticism Jones faced for his play, encouraging and exhorting him to keep playing hard, to just have fun with the game, and forget about the external nonsense. It was that very kind of advice that led Davis to guide OU to two national titles in '74-'75, particularly after the '75 Kansas game where Davis endured a great deal of criticism for a very rough game he had in a loss against what should have been an overmatched Jawhawk team. But he came back to shrug off the naysayers and win a title.

As a ten-year-old, college football players seemed larger than life to me, and the first few times I walked into OMS to watch them play in person rather than on TV are fun childhood memories I hope I never forget. Thanks, Steve.

MonkeesFan
03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Terrible news! I met him once, he bought me a beer! He was a class act and a very nice man, he will be sorely missed

What a very sad day! :(

Thank You Steve for bringing the Sooners 2 Championships and you are one of the greatest Sooners and you will never be forgotten!

ou48A
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
OU released this statement

Sooners Mourn the Passing of Steve Davis - SoonerSports.com - Official Athletics Site of the Oklahoma Sooners (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031813aaa.html)

OKCisOK4me
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
My condolences to the OU family. As we have lost many due to plane crashes at oSu, this hits heavy.

ou48A
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
This video was shot between Steve's junior and senior OU seasons.... doing what he absolutely loved the most.
For his age he was extremely poised and very well versed in preaching the lords word and it was very genuine.
It’s easy to see how he could have inspired others on the football field to play to the very best of their abilities. But it’s this side of Mr. Davis that’s seen on the video where he probably had the most profound impact on people’s lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ujddhoHog

ou48A
03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Former OU Quarterback Steve Davis talks about his time as a Sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgMgDNIMCsc

Dubya61
03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
So many fascinating people in that room, right down to Bob Barry.

OKCTalker
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
NTSB preliminary accident report was just released. A very strange chain of events leading to the crash, and lots of unanswered questions...

NTSB Identification: CEN13FA196
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, March 17, 2013 in South Bend, IN
Aircraft: Hawker Beechcraft Corporation 390, registration: N26DK
Injuries: 2 Fatal,3 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On March 17, 2013, at 1623 eastern daylight time, a Hawker Beechcraft model 390 (Premier IA) business jet, N26DK, serial number RB-226, collided with three residential structures and terrain following an aborted landing attempt on runway 9R located at the South Bend Regional Airport (KSBN), South Bend, Indiana. The private pilot and pilot-rated-passenger occupying the cockpit seats were fatally injured. An additional two passengers and one individual on the ground sustained serious injuries. The airplane was registered to 7700 Enterprises of Montana, LLC and operated by Digicut Systems of Tulsa, Oklahoma, under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 while on an instrument flight plan. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the business flight that departed Richard Lloyd Jones Jr. Airport (KRVS), Tulsa, Oklahoma, at 1358 central daylight time.

According to preliminary air traffic control information, at 1610:31, the accident pilot established radio communications with South Bend Approach Control while at 11,000 feet mean sea level (msl). The air traffic controller cleared the flight direct to KNUTE intersection and told the pilot to expect a visual approach to runway 9R. At 1611:44, the flight was cleared to descend to 10,000 feet msl. At 1613:06, the flight was cleared to 3,000 feet msl. At 1615:00, the approach controller told the pilot to make a 5-degree left turn to align with runway 9R and asked the pilot to report when he had the airport in sight. At 1615:07, the pilot declared an emergency because of a lack of engine power, reporting that they were "dead stick" and without any power. About 23 seconds later, at 1615:30, the pilot transmitted "we've lost all power, and we have no hydraulics." When the controller asked if the airplane remained controllable, the pilot replied "ah, barely controllable." The controller advised that all runways at KSBN were available for landing and issued the current winds, which were 130-degrees at 10 knots. At 1615:22, the pilot transmitted that the airplane’s navigational systems were inoperative and requested a radar vector toward the airport. The controller replied that the airport was 9 miles directly ahead of the airplane’s current position. At 1616:12, the controller told the pilot to turn 10-degrees left to intersect runway 9R. At 1616:15, the pilot replied "26DK, turning left." No additional voice communications were received from the accident airplane. The approach controller continued to transmit radar vectors toward runway 9R without any response from the accident pilot. At 1618:58, the approach controller told the accident airplane to go-around because the main landing gear was not extended. (The tower controller had informed the approach controller that only the nose landing gear was extended) The accident airplane was then observed to climb and enter a right traffic pattern for runway 9R. The airplane made another landing approach to runway 9R with only the nose landing gear extended. Several witnesses observed the airplane bounce several times on the runway before it ultimately entered a climbing right turn. The airplane was then observed to enter a nose low descent into a nearby residential community.