View Full Version : 4th of July Plans

Intrepid
06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi all...

Just curious to know everyone's plan for the 4th of July.

I'll be spending the weekend with my daughter at my mom's house. We'll be out by the pool and will probably go to the Buck Thomas park festivities on 12th street here in Moore.

Keith
06-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi all...

Just curious to know everyone's plan for the 4th of July.

I'll be spending the weekend with my daughter at my mom's house. We'll be out by the pool and will probably go to the Buck Thomas park festivities on 12th street here in Moore.
I will probably be mowing most of the day, with a break for lunch, and then I have to go work the 4 PM- Midnight shift at work. No fireworks for me this year.

mranderson
06-27-2005, 08:17 PM
watching the daytime television shows i miss while i work.

John
06-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Edmond LibertyFest parade in the morning, downtown at night for fireworks/drinks/etc.

Karried
06-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Where is the best fireworks? I'm in Edmond and will probably watch them again this year. I want to see an airshow this year.... does anyone know for sure if we are having one?

okcpulse
06-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Ugh.... Karried, you live in the suburb where I grew up. Back in the 1980's, when I was in elementary school, everyone called it "Deadmond". Been living in Oklahoma City proper since 2000.

Anyhow, back to the subject... Edmond does have one of the nation's top Independence Day celebrations, however I would have to say the best fireworks show is from the roof of the Power Alley parking garage next to the Bricktown Ballpark. From there, you get to enjoy the Bricktown fireworks show, Frontier City's show, the Tinker A.F.B. show, and all the fireworks to the south in Valley Brook.

I don't have much planned this weekend. My wife is headed to Lone Star hell with friends, and I work all weekend. After work, I'll most likely be at home drinking and playing Halo 2. I might go out of Oklahoma County with my brother and some friends to pop our own show.

okcpulse
06-28-2005, 12:43 AM
I believe Tinker is having an airshow, but Aerospace America was cancelled.

Dungeon Master
06-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Yes to both on the last post. Aerospace America was cancelled and Tinker's airshow is July 2nd. The're having the Thunderbirds this year. Nothing special that I heard of for Tinker on July 4th though.
Here is their link for the airshow. http://www.starspangledsalute.com/
Hope this helps.

Dungeon Master

Patrick
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Here's info on Tinker:

"Tinker plans aerial demonstration

By Jay F. Marks
The Oklahoman

For the first time in nearly two decades, the Air Force's elite aerial demonstration team will grace the skies above Tinker Air Force Base.

A performance by the Thunderbirds is one of the scheduled highlights for Saturday's Star Spangled Salute, the annual Independence Day celebration hosted by the base and Eastern Oklahoma County Tourism Council.

Gates open at 9 a.m., with air and ground demonstrations beginning at 11:40 a.m. and continuing until 8 p.m. The hourlong Thunderbirds demonstration is set to begin at 1:30 p.m.

There also will be performances by Air Force entertainment troupe Tops in Blue and country music artist Lee Greenwood before a fireworks display that organizers are billing as one of the largest in central Oklahoma.

"This is really an opportunity for Tinker to thank our employees and the surrounding community for all of the support we've received," Tinker's commander, Col. Joan Cunningham, said in a news release. "It is an excellent opportunity to invite your family, friends and neighbors out to see how well Tinker and the Air Force accomplish their missions and help keep the world safe."

The event is free.

All guests must enter through Hruskocy Gate (off Interstate 40), or Lancer and Liberator gates (off Douglas Boulevard).

Following the fireworks, Lancer and Liberator gates will become one-way outbound traffic. Lancer traffic must turn north, while Liberator traffic must turn south. "

Patrick
06-28-2005, 09:13 AM
We may go to the Star Spangled Salute on Saturday. I think on July 4th we're gonig to try to go to Tuttle this year. For years now, I've been wanting to go to the annual Braums Ice Cream Festival in Tuttle.

Karried
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the link, I couldn't find an admission price - does anyone know the charge? Thanks...

Patrick
06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Starspangled salute is free.

Intrepid
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the link, I couldn't find an admission price - does anyone know the charge? Thanks...

I heard someone at work (or maybe it was on the radio) say that it was free admission.

Faith
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
For those who may go to the Tinker Air Show here are some things you need to be aware of to help the process go as smooth as possible.

* All guests must enter through Hruskocy Gate (off I-40), or Lancer and Liberator Gates
* Be prepared to follow signs to alternate off-base parking if on -base lots become full
*Seatbelt use is mandatory on Tinker. Please ensure all passengers are buckled up. No passengers may ride in teh bed of a pick-up
*Motorcyclists must wear protective gear including helmets
*Please have your driver's licenses available for the gate guards.
*Random full-vehicle inspections will be conducted.
*Park vehicles in designated areas adn proceed to teh gated entryway.
*All visitors will proceed through a security check point where they will board a bus and be transported to the event. (Buses will run continously to transport guests back and forth from the parking lots to the event area.)
*Please do not bring pets, coolers, backpacks, or glass containers
*Diaper Bags and purses are permitted but are subject to search.
*Firearms, knives or fireworks are prohibited
*A simulcast of the air show and performances will be broadcast on WKY AM 930. Guest are encouraged to bring small handheld radios.
*Lawn chairs and blankets are permitted
* No persons, including Tinker Employees will be permitted access to air logistics center buildings from noon to midnight July 2.
* Please use the trash cans located throughout the flight line. properly discarding garbage will prevent aircraft from ingesting foreign objects and damaging their engines.
*The Flight Line is an industrial area with many potential hazards. Please obey warning signs and avoid all unauthorized areas.
* Use extreme caution when walking around and under static display aircraft. Many aircraft have low wings and protrusions which create potential hazards.

Karried
06-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like fun! I wish is wasn't 9 million degrees out though, I wonder if there is any shade? Misters? Sprinklers?

mranderson
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like fun! I wish is wasn't 9 million degrees out though, I wonder if there is any shade? Misters? Sprinklers?

Plus do not forget the ten million percent humidity.

Patrick
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM

You can catch some shade is some of the hangers. Other than that..... ouch! Hot!

Keith
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Do what I do when I am mowing.....I have a mister bottle with a fan that is battery operated. You fill the bottle up with cold water and then, when you turn on the fan, you position it in front of your face, and pull the trigger on the spray bottle. You have a nice cool mist spraying on your face. You can get these at Wal-Mart. I use one everytime I mow, and it does cool you off.

Pete
06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm bringing a little of Oklahoma to Southern California by organizing a big block party in my neighborhood.

When I moved to my present house about 3 years ago, we did an impromptu gathering and I made a bunch of homemade ice cream, reminiscent of my childhood in NW OKC. We had low expectations but ended up having about 40 people show up!

So, it's become a bit of an annual tradition and this year we're adding a full-on cookout.

From a particular point in my cul-de-sac you have a great vantage point for a public fireworks displace, so that's a big part of the draw.

windowphobe
06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I'll be visiting my kids (and their kids).

Jay
06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I will be working from 1-7:30. I will then probably come home and go to sleep or watch the televised version of the Boston Fourth of July.

I just hope CBS is not airing it this year. Harry Smith ruined it last year by adding his stupid little side comments and interviews every thirty seconds. Oh and of course they had two run two hundred commercials during the firework.

Basically all you got to see was about five minutes of a Fireworks show is that last at least a half hour.

Patrick
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm bringing a little of Oklahoma to Southern California by organizing a big block party in my neighborhood.

When I moved to my present house about 3 years ago, we did an impromptu gathering and I made a bunch of homemade ice cream, reminiscent of my childhood in NW OKC. We had low expectations but ended up having about 40 people show up!

So, it's become a bit of an annual tradition and this year we're adding a full-on cookout.

From a particular point in my cul-de-sac you have a great vantage point for a public fireworks displace, so that's a big part of the draw.

Hey MalibuSooner, how cool is that! I wish I was as outgoing as you to organize something like that.