View Full Version : Home insurance question....

Achilleslastand
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Just found out that my home insurance company is non renewing all of their customers here in okla. Does anyone have any suggestions on selecting a new company which has reasonable rates?
I think that might be impossible.

s00nr1
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Call Rita Wallenberg - State Farm in Moore. 405-691-2464

BBatesokc
03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
We just signed with Liberty Mutual - Had previously been with State Farm and Liberty Mutual was able to beat State Farm by quite a bit. Our mortgage company and a friend both suggested Liberty Mutual and said for whatever reason they are being very aggressive in Oklahoma. We also dropped Geico car insurance for Liberty Mutual (saved $600 if memory serves me).

Stew
03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
If you qualify for membership USAA is the best thing going.

Servicetech571
03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
If you qualify for membership USAA is the best thing going.

+1

GaryOKC6
03-15-2013, 06:06 AM
I like AAA

SoonerDave
03-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Very satisfied with State Farm.

rezman
03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I was with State Farm for over 23 years. We didn't have much claim activity untill about 2005 we had some storm damage and then again in 2008. The first claim was about $5000 and the second was about $8000. ( What? Storm damage in Oklahoma?) .... then in August 2009, our house burned down and we lost everything. ... BOOM! ... $200,000 claim. State Farm was great. They have they highest rated claims service in the industry, and took great care of us. ... and then canceled us.

Because we had three claims inside of 5 years, and the last one was a biggie.... they didn't want our business any longer. We had everything insured with them. I told my agent that if they wouldn't continue our homeowners policy on our newly built home, then we would pull everyting from then and take it all somewhere else.. my agent's reply was, " well, you'll probably have to do that in order to get coverage somewhere else. ... So now we are with Farmers, and they have been very good ... so far.

Funny thing is, we frequently get solicitations in the mail from State Farm wanting our auto policies back.

SoonerDave
03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I was with State Farm for over 23 years. We didn't have much claim activity untill about 2005 we had some storm damage and then again in 2008. The first claim was about $5000 and the second was about $8000. ( What? Storm damage in Oklahoma?) .... then in August 2009, our house burned down and we lost everything. ... BOOM! ... $200,000 claim. State Farm was great. They have they highest rated claims service in the industry, and took great care of us. ... and then canceled us.

Because we had three claims inside of 5 years, and the last one was a biggie.... they didn't want our business any longer. We had everything insured with them. I told my agent that if they wouldn't continue our homeowners policy on our newly built home, then we would pull everyting from then and take it all somewhere else.. my agent's reply was, " well, you'll probably have to do that in order to get coverage somewhere else. ... So now we are with Farmers, and they have been very good ... so far.

That may have been an agent's choice. The same thing happened to my mom about 15 or 20 years ago - odd circumstance of multiple claims in a short span, and then a notice of cancellation. She called a different State Farm agent, who took her house and wrote her a policy immediately and has had no problem since.

I know very little about the insurance industry, but from that incident I inferred that claims experience ties negatively, in some way, back to the agent, and the agent gladly lets the homeowner believe it was an underwriting decision when it was really an agent's choice (or substantially driven). It wouldn't make sense for an underwriting decision to be negative for a given home/owner through one agent and positive through another if the only variable is the agent.

rezman
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM
That may have been an agent's choice. The same thing happened to my mom about 15 or 20 years ago - odd circumstance of multiple claims in a short span, and then a notice of cancellation. She called a different State Farm agent, who took her house and wrote her a policy immediately and has had no problem since.

I know very little about the insurance industry, but from that incident I inferred that claims experience ties negatively, in some way, back to the agent, and the agent gladly lets the homeowner believe it was an underwriting decision when it was really an agent's choice (or substantially driven). It wouldn't make sense for an underwriting decision to be negative for a given home/owner through one agent and positive through another if the only variable is the agent.

I never thought of that, but thats pretty much what my agent did. Pushed it off on "home office" .

JayhawkTransplant
03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
We just signed with Liberty Mutual - Had previously been with State Farm and Liberty Mutual was able to beat State Farm by quite a bit. Our mortgage company and a friend both suggested Liberty Mutual and said for whatever reason they are being very aggressive in Oklahoma. We also dropped Geico car insurance for Liberty Mutual (saved $600 if memory serves me).

Thanks for this info--I might give them a call and see if they can beat my current home/car insurance premiums with Geico/Traveler's. I just got my renewal package for Traveler's for my house, and my annual premium went up another $250/year, for the second year in a row. I haven't made any claims on my house. I know that the premiums are also based on claims made by others in my zip code, but I feel like I'm getting hosed quite a bit...my car insurance seems high, too, and I have never had a traffic ticket or made a claim on my car. Ever.

Are there any repercussions of switching insurance companies? I know it's bad to be an insurance company hopper, and I am nervous that I go through the trouble of switching companies, and they would give me a great introductory premium, and then increase them in subsequent years...

BBatesokc
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for this info--I might give them a call and see if they can beat my current home/car insurance premiums with Geico/Traveler's. I just got my renewal package for Traveler's for my house, and my annual premium went up another $250/year, for the second year in a row. I haven't made any claims on my house. I know that the premiums are also based on claims made by others in my zip code, but I feel like I'm getting hosed quite a bit...my car insurance seems high, too, and I have never had a traffic ticket or made a claim on my car. Ever.

Are there any repercussions of switching insurance companies? I know it's bad to be an insurance company hopper, and I am nervous that I go through the trouble of switching companies, and they would give me a great introductory premium, and then increase them in subsequent years...

We had no repercussions. We also made sure to go ahead and make any claims BEFORE switching. This way our insurance provider who had been overcharging us paid up before we switched.