View Full Version : Citizens Fire Academy

Keith
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
The Oklahoma City Fire Department is accepting applications for the Citizens Fire Academy Classs X.

The Citizens Academy is a program targeted towards adults in the Oklahoma City community. Academy participants will receive an insider's view of the services the Oklahoma City Fire Department provides, fire safety training for the home and work place, and hands on experience in emergency operations.

This program is not an avenue for seeking employment with the OKC Fire Dept.

The class will begin September 8, 2005 and continue every Thursday evening for eight weeks until October 27, 2005, from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.

I personally took the class last year and had a great time learning more about the fire department and what they do. Also, as a student, you get the opportunity to go on a few "ride alongs," which means you get to go to the fire station of your choice and spend 4-6 hours with the firefighters, and go with them on all of their emergency calls.

Not only did I learn a lot from the class, I met some really neat people that attended the class with me, and we still stay in touch with each other. Upon graduation from the academy, you have the opportunity to join the Citizens Fire Academy Alumni Association. The alumni is very involved with helping the fire department in many of their functions.

Just recently, I was appointed by the president of the association to be editor of the monthly newsletter that the CFAAA puts out each month. This newsletter goes to all of the fire stations, as well as all of fire administration downtown. As I said, I had lots of fun with the academy, and now I am having a blast with the alumni association.

If you are interested in this class, contact me by PM, or e-mail me at keith@okctalk.net., and I will make arrangements to get an application to you. The class is limited in size, so if you are interested, now is the time to act.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing....the class is FREE.

mranderson
06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
This sounds like an interesting opportunity and a lot of fun. So, I aked Keith for an application. I will do the same for the police academy when it comes along.

mranderson
06-29-2005, 10:50 AM
I sent my application this morning.

The information you will be given is very valubale. I personally am looking forward to it. Especially the ride along.