View Full Version : Cleveland County Jury Duty

crimsoncrazy
03-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I got a Petit jury summons today. Any interesting cases coming up?

kevinpate
03-06-2013, 01:01 AM
All cases have items of interest, if only to the primary parties. And so many matters settle in the days, hours and minutes leading up to the start of every jury trial docket it'd be difficult to know what will, and won't proceed on to trial.

In any event, the less you know of any particular pending matter before hand, the lower your potential is for being excused from service due to having developed any strong opinion based on out of court information.

crimsoncrazy
03-06-2013, 02:11 AM
How many days can I expect to spend there? I won't be getting paid from work. Do they allow you to bring your cell phone? (Of course not in the court room)

BBatesokc
03-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Just depends. Count on one to two days for the selection process. If picked, depending on the case.... another one to usually four/five days. I've seen case go two weeks or so (but unusual). No idea if you can bring your phone. Not saying I've ever received a jury notice - but, if I did I threw them away because my chances of being picked and not wasting a day or two is ZERO.

RadicalModerate
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Did you know you can be held in contempt of court--and have a warrant issued for your arrest--if you don't show up at the courthouse when summoned? Not sayin' that this would actually happen, but it is a possibility . . .

Achilleslastand
03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
On the other hand if you do get selected they will reward you very well.

BBatesokc
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
*forgot to quote original post - see below.....

BBatesokc
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Did you know you can be held in contempt of court--and have a warrant issued for your arrest--if you don't show up at the courthouse when summoned? Not sayin' that this would actually happen, but it is a possibility . . .

Not gonna happen in Oklahoma County - or any other county where the summons is sent through regular mail - without being certified, they have no idea if you really received it or not. You have to have proof of service to pursue charges.

Midtowner
03-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Of course now, Brian, you have given the D.A. an online confession that you've thrown away notices because you don't think they can prove you got 'em.
I hope an intrepid A.D.A. doesn't stumble across this thread:lol2:

BBatesokc
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Of course now, Brian, you have given the D.A. an online confession that you've thrown away notices because you don't think they can prove you got 'em.
I hope an intrepid A.D.A. doesn't stumble across this thread:lol2:

You need to read my response closer..... "Not saying I've ever received a jury notice - but, if I did I threw them away...." No confession there, as I've never admitted to actually receiving one. FYI, dozens of people never respond or show up after jury notices are sent out and nothing is ever done (costs too much). Which is the reason they don't send them certified like some other counties do. Instead they simply send more notices than they need, to account for those that 'get lost in the mail.'

Trust me, I'm very aware of what I post and who reads it. It never fails, when I post a video on line, there are always a few people who literally contact the police because they feel the video shows I floated a stop sign, didn't initiate my blinker soon enough, blah, blah, blah.

venture
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
The only people that play with words like that are typically those that are guilty of committing the act but are avoiding admitting it. It's obvious what you posted and the wording is well noted. You know what you are doing though and we all can use common sense to read between the lines. :)

PennyQuilts
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Not a good idea, Brian.

BBatesokc
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Not a good idea, Brian.

Not a good idea would be to avoid jury service and specifically mention it online within the statute of limitations.

BBatesokc
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Duplicate

BBatesokc
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
The only people that play with words like that are typically those that are guilty of committing the act but are avoiding admitting it. It's obvious what you posted and the wording is well noted. You know what you are doing though and we all can use common sense to read between the lines. :)

Ya think?

PennyQuilts
03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Not a good idea would be to avoid jury service and specifically mention it online within the statute of limitations.
Being way too clever by half. Comments like this have a way of coming back to bite you even if criminal charges aren't the issue.

venture
03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Being way too clever by half. Comments like this have a way of coming back to bite you even if criminal charges aren't the issue.

Cockiness and arrogance always ends up getting repaid in the end. Things eventually catch up with people.

okc_coder
03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
You mean like people that send out jury notices?

RadicalModerate
03-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Not gonna happen in Oklahoma County - or any other county where the summons is sent through regular mail - without being certified, they have no idea if you really received it or not. You have to have proof of service to pursue charges.

Whew! That must be a relief! . . . So, what about all those parking tickets someone might never have received because well meaning scofflaw passersby removed them from one's windshield before one had a chance to dutifully review them and pay? =)

For the record: I have never ignored a jury duty summons nor have I ever failed to pay a parking ticket. It's not just good citizenship, it's The Law.

b.t.w.: Is a "petit jury", like, six people instead of twelve?

kevinpate
03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
It's best not to be too slow in resolving parking tickets ... lest you offer a ride to someone, right before you step outside and realize you completely lack the ability to fulfill the offer.

I learned to laugh about it. It was not funny at the time, but I did learn an expensive lesson, along with discovering impound fees are not cheap.

boscorama
03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Wasn't going to say anything, but here goes. Once, in the 1980's, I chose to ignore a jury summons. Ordinarily I'd happily serve but that particular day was a clusterf*** of kid reasons I could not be downtown. I don't recall the notice including a phone number for explanation so the summons must have been lost in the mail, ahem. Bear in mind, cell phones and such weren't around. Never head jacksquat about my failure to appear.

BBatesokc
03-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Do you tell those tales around the campfire to scare all the good little boys and girls?

Midtowner
03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
You mean like people that send out jury notices?

How do you figure?