View Full Version : Silver dollars question.

SOONER8693
03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a number of silver dollars my dad bought for me when I was younger. Seems like he would always get them when we were on vacation in Colorado. Anyway, one of them is dated 1880, another is 1885, and another is 1886. Does anyone know what the value of such would be today? Anything good or just a good $1 worth? Thanks for any help.

MikeLucky
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a number of silver dollars my dad bought for me when I was younger. Seems like he would always get them when we were on vacation in Colorado. Anyway, one of them is dated 1880, another is 1885, and another is 1886. Does anyone know what the value of such would be today? Anything good or just a good $1 worth? Thanks for any help.

Well, if they are pre-1960s age then they are 90% silver which is currently selling for just under $30 an ounce... so they would be worth AT LEAST the value of the silver. But, just as collector coins they could also be worth more, but I don't really know for sure.

Zuplar
03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I always found this helpful. It gives the % of silver in each coin and calculates value based off of that daily.

US Silver Coin Melt Values (http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/silver-coin-price-guides/us-silver-coin-values/)

Jim Kyle
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I have a number of silver dollars my dad bought for me when I was younger. Seems like he would always get them when we were on vacation in Colorado. Anyway, one of them is dated 1880, another is 1885, and another is 1886. Does anyone know what the value of such would be today? Anything good or just a good $1 worth? Thanks for any help.I have a similar collection of 19th-century silver dollars, and got an appraisal a couple of years ago. At that time they averaged $50 each (collector value). Dunno what they would bring today but I'm sure it would not be less...

Much would depend on the coin's condition. Mine are all "circulated, good" but if yours are in better shape they would be worth more. Get a quote from one of the gold-and-silver buyers that advertise in the daily paper. The ones I have contacted all keep tabs on the collector market.

zookeeper
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Since we're discussing precious metals, is there a walk-in location in Oklahoma City where someone can buy American Eagle gold coins? Everything I can find is online purchasing. Some banks do, at least in other cities, do any here?

OKCisOK4me
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Depends on what their condition is. If they're worn, then they're not going to have a high value. Now if they're brand spanking new, no scratches, no nothing, then hold on to them suckers. Go to the "collectibles" section of any new bookstore...Full Circle Books, Barnes & Noble, etc. and find a coin collectors guide for 2013 values.

Zuplar
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Since we're discussing precious metals, is there a walk-in location in Oklahoma City where someone can buy American Eagle gold coins? Everything I can find is online purchasing. Some banks do, at least in other cities, do any here?

I know my bank doesn't, and really haven't heard of many that do. You may even try calling pawn shops that buy and sell gold and silver.

blangtang
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM

i believe this is a pretty decent sized gold and silver dealer

Trading Offices
APMEX
226 Dean A. McGee Avenue
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102

Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com (http://www.apmex.com/)

I've never purchased from them, but I believe they are downtown next the the Federal Reserve Bank building. Maybe see if they do local pick ups.

ljbab728
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I have similar silver dollars (oldest is 1883) and took them to a coin dealer last year to evaluate at no cost. The most valuable were worth about $20 each.

metro
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Gold stores on about every corner these days, and most have American Eagle's you can walk in and purchase for a nominal fee over spot value.