View Full Version : Michael's Is Gone?

Okiezmom
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I was driving down 15th this weekend and saw that the space where Michael's was is empty. Does anyone know what happened other than it really kinda sucked?

Plutonic Panda
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
I heard somewhere that a few Michael's were going to close around town.

woodyrr
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
In the case of the Midwest City Michaels store. The people that own the Uptown Shopping Center raised the rent and Michaels decided to bail.

Rumor is that a Family Dollar is going to move into the center.

bombermwc
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
North Star Realty is just stupid these days. They do work on the least occupied building, then put the least amount of work (a crappy looking coat of paint) on the most occupied building, raise rent, then expect people to be interested in staying! What a let down. They obviously still want too much for Phase 1 of uptown's remodel since so many slots are empty. It would have been better to bulldoze the place and start over given the amount of work they did....and then left the most vulnerable part, the roof, intact. The whole thing was stupid. At least with Phase 2, they got smart and just gave the front side a facelift....even if it's cheap looking in comparison to phase 1....but 10 times better than phase 3. And the Oklahoma Journal building....still totally empty years later.

They suck, flat out. Definitely NOT the real estate mogul that their Dad was....Mr Atkinson himself.

Lauri101
03-05-2013, 08:06 AM
What he said ^

Michaels did close several stores-likely eitehr low performers or, as in MWC, more expensive leases. The entire Uptown situation is a fiasco. That section used to be full of viable businesses and there are still plenty of customers who would go there should there be anything to go to.
Wish we could move our office to Oklahoma Journal building- would be perfect size and plenty of parking!

Watson410
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Rumor is that a Family Dollar is going to move into the center.

Yeah, Family Dollar is moving in the southeast suite.

bombermwc
03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
So i take it they didn't actually get Old Navy after all huh? Shock...NOT!

anniemae
03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
They raised the rent on that shabby place? Weird!

mmonroe
03-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I do part time business consulting, and when I called Joe A. over at North Star to talk about the available suites he had in the Uptown plaza, he didn't seem interested in getting any business in there. This was six months before the A+ tutoring went in, which failed, and now Family Dollar. I can't understand the Family Dollar though. It feels like he's renting out to tenants, not matter the standard of business, for the money. But then he doesn't rent them out to anyone... seems more like it would be easier to sell the building to an interested buyer if there were no tenants, unless those tenants where a national chain. eh, m.o.

bombermwc
03-15-2013, 06:59 AM
North Star just sucks. They've failed at every project they have.....Copper Point at 240/Sooner for example. They really have no business being in business. An Atkinson, he is not.