View Full Version : Bombing Fund Controversy

soonerguru
03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
I just read this story on NBC News. Nancy Anthony does not come across well. Something's rotten in Denmark.

Disaster relief? Dealing with Oklahoma City bombing fund 'horrible,' victim says - Rock Center with Brian Williams (http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/01/17136505-disaster-relief-dealing-with-oklahoma-city-bombing-fund-horrible-victim-says?lite)

Easy180
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Watched the story last night and she doesn't come across very well visually either lol...She looks like someone who enjoys judging whether victims "deserve" money donated to them

Someone needs to come down HARD on this foundation

bucktalk
03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I wish I had not have watched that video. It makes me so angry to see what should have been the best intention of generous people to be handled by a "we know better than you" mentality from those who seem to have a pious attitude.

SoonerDave
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I just read this story on NBC News. Nancy Anthony does not come across well. Something's rotten in Denmark.

Disaster relief? Dealing with Oklahoma City bombing fund 'horrible,' victim says - Rock Center with Brian Williams (http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/01/17136505-disaster-relief-dealing-with-oklahoma-city-bombing-fund-horrible-victim-says?lite)

Horrendous. And more frustrating than anything is that it took NATIONAL media to bring this to light. Not ONE of our local "news" stations, in the midst of the Urgent Live Snow Reports From the Corner Gas Station, ever bothered or had an inkling to pursue this kind of story???

Shame on local OKC journalism.

Easy180
03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Horrendous. And more frustrating than anything is that it took NATIONAL media to bring this to light. Not ONE of our local "news" stations, in the midst of the Urgent Live Snow Reports From the Corner Gas Station, ever bothered or had an inkling to pursue this kind of story???

In their defense they have had live cut ins to the momma owl cam...If that ain't hard hitting I don't know what is

venture
03-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I want to say local media started to pick this up a little big a few months back, but haven't really kept after them.

This Nancy lady sounds like someone who enjoys using the money to keep herself employed and have that nice building they are in. There really is no reason why the Fund is still going unless they are still accepting contributions. However, when they receive those it should be immediately dispersed to the victims that need it.

Horrible, selfish person who finally got caught in the spotlight with her hand in the cookie jar. You could tell from her body language on camera that she knew she was screwed. I would say how could she live with herself, but a person with no conscience can do it pretty easily.

Hawk405359
03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I want to say local media started to pick this up a little big a few months back, but haven't really kept after them.

This Nancy lady sounds like someone who enjoys using the money to keep herself employed and have that nice building they are in. There really is no reason why the Fund is still going unless they are still accepting contributions. However, when they receive those it should be immediately dispersed to the victims that need it.

Horrible, selfish person who finally got caught in the spotlight with her hand in the cookie jar. You could tell from her body language on camera that she knew she was screwed. I would say how could she live with herself, but a person with no conscience can do it pretty easily.

Yeah, there were stories about this some time ago, I remember hearing about it on local news radio. It just didn't seem to blow up.

LordGerald
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM

In all fairness, the Oklahoman has covered this story extensively in the past few months, including revealing Nancy Anthony's salary.

progressiveboy
03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, there were stories about this some time ago, I remember hearing about it on local news radio. It just didn't seem to blow up. So glad to see the national media get involved with this! With this type of exposure, it will certainly show what type of person Nancy Anthony truly is! I smell a scandal brewing and poor pitiful Nancy will have her reputation tarnished. She should be ashamed of herself, however I question if she has any kind of a conscience?

zookeeper
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
What can you possibly say? She admits giving money meant for Murrah bombing survivors and victim families to other disasters and to the museum. But, she kept saying how many they've helped and while that's nice and nothing more than expected, that's not the point. She shows she's too deeply involved to see the problem. They have a very defensive statement up at the OKC Community Foundation website that Nancy Anthony and the trustees (http://www.occf.org/trustees.html) should be ashamed of. She even calls the people who have had trouble getting money to help with surgeries, etc. liars. She uses the phrase "false accusations by a disgruntled few". Anybody that knows people who have been stonewalled by Anthony knows she is the one spitting lies. Time to clean house.

Nancy, it's not what you've done, which was expected.
It's what you have not done, which was certainly not expected.

Al Capone used to talk about what good deeds he did for the city of Chicago, how much he gave to the charities, and he did. But that was beside the point.
A despicable defense.
Time to clean house at the foundation.

soonerguru
03-02-2013, 03:10 PM
What can you possibly say? She admits giving money meant for Murrah bombing survivors and victim families to other disasters and to the museum. But, she kept saying how many they've helped and while that's nice and nothing more than expected, that's not the point. She shows she's too deeply involved to see the problem. They have a very defensive statement up at the OKC Community Foundation website that Nancy Anthony and the trustees (http://www.occf.org/trustees.html) should be ashamed of. She even calls the people who have had trouble getting money to help with surgeries, etc. liars. She uses the phrase "false accusations by a disgruntled few". Anybody that knows people who have been stonewalled by Anthony knows she is the one spitting lies. Time to clean house.

Nancy, it's not what you've done, which was expected.
It's what you have not done, which was certainly not expected.

Al Capone used to talk about what good deeds he did for the city of Chicago, how much he gave to the charities, and he did. But that was beside the point.
A despicable defense.
Time to clean house at the foundation.

She does reveal a nasty patrician attitude. What I found weird was she was pleading for "respect" for the donors' wishes. I find it hard to believe that the donors who gave to the fund would have wanted her to be so greedy when it came to helping people in need.

anniemae
03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I saw local tv coverage on this sometime back. I was amazed to learn there was a lot of money still in the fund. There was a woman interviewed who said she had received no help from the fund and might not have had her home repossessed had aid been forthcoming. If what we are hearing is true someone or maybe several someones should be doing some jail time. As for the administrator saying they had helped "others" I do not think that appropriate, there are still many family members who were impacted by the bombing and the money should go to them, at this point perhaps they don't "need" it but if it was given for them then it should go to them.

fromdust
03-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Here's the video from Rock Center

NBCNews.com Video Player (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/51014957#51014957)

kelroy55
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Shameful...

Jersey Boss
03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
The OKAHOMAN would rather investigate the Workers Comp court than go after someone with influence. Mr. Prater, it is time for a grand jury to be called.

soonerguru
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
The OKAHOMAN would rather investigate the Workers Comp court than go after someone with influence. Mr. Prater, it is time for a grand jury to be called.

Why stop there? The IRS should probably investigate as well. If I had given money to that fund and found out: 1) a significant amount of the money was donated to other disasters; and 2) people with legitimate need were turned away, I would ask for my money back. Civil litigation could and possibly should result.

As for the Oklahoma City Community Foundation, their name is tainted by this scandal. What a terrible public representation of the organization. Anthony should be fired.

RadicalModerate
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
In England, they might call this entire affair a "conTROVersy" . . .
I think our pronunciation--"CONtroversy"--is probably more appropriate.
Perhaps "CON-TROUGH-versy" might sum it up best?

oops . . . i guess i was too quick to judge:
http://foundationcenter.org/pnd/newsmakers/nwsmkr.jhtml?id=25800043

I did, however, appreciate--at the risk of misapprehending--the above use of the word "patrician" in a previous post, in a proper context, and this error on my part probably served to cloud my judgment.

kelroy55
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
OCCF response...

We are disappointed the March 1st, 2013 episode of “Rock Center with Brian Williams” failed to provide a more balanced approach in their story about the Oklahoma City Disaster Relief Fund.

http://www.occf.org/documents/StatementforNBCNews.pdf

OKCTalker
03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I fear that OCCF's response doesn't go far enough to quell suspicions and criticism. A "voluntary, independent forensic accounting review" is far less comprehensive than an audit by the state auditor and inspector, which might be appropriate at this time.

A favorable light has shone on Oklahomans as a result of the bombing - what became known as the "Oklahoma standard," the comparatively fast development of the beautiful memorial and grounds, good management of the Memorial Foundation, and even the nationally-recognized Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. It is tragic to have those things diminished by questions about disbursement of victim recovery funds, and a half-hearted review.

Steve
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Both The Oklahoman and The Tulsa World have done extensive coverage of this story, starting in early November. I believe all the tv stations have done stories as well. There is NOTHING in the NBC news report that hasn't been reported by both papers, and there is plenty that has been reported by both papers that WAS NOT in the NBC news report.

kelroy55
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
We're doing a big Poker Run next month to raise money for the Memorial, I hope it goes to the memorial.

Jim Kyle
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
OCCF deals only in large sums. Check this link to their fee schedule (warning: large PDF file): http://www.occf.org/documents/FundFees2012_000.pdf

And they do everything first class; their annual report rivals that of any megacorporation for bling and glitter...

zookeeper
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
OCCF deals only in large sums. Check this link to their fee schedule (warning: large PDF file): http://www.occf.org/documents/FundFees2012_000.pdf

And they do everything first class; their annual report rivals that of any megacorporation for bling and glitter...

They've certainly made sure the Bombing Fund account has a large sum. It should be the opposite. It doesn't surprise me their materials are first class. It's the old saying If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance, Baffle Them With Bull****.

RadicalModerate
03-04-2013, 10:05 PM
OCCF response...

We are disappointed the March 1st, 2013 episode of “Rock Center with Brian Williams” failed to provide a more balanced approach in their story about the Oklahoma City Disaster Relief Fund.

http://www.occf.org/documents/StatementforNBCNews.pdf

Would it be fair to suggest that the use of the term "disappointed" might be a bit of an understatement, bordering on a Freudian slip, serving only to fuel the fire of the non-patricians (a.k.a. plebians)?

Frankly, I am generally disappointed by anything emanating from "Rock Center" (especially from the southbound end of a northbound BrianWilliams) so I really don't know.

Yet, I wonder . . . Who "appointed" them (a.k.a. "We") in the first place, thereby setting them up for the "dis-"?

(c.r. anthony's was always one of my favorite places to shop. and i hate shopping. but it was more of a family store than a corporation.)

(or was dis-appointed a subtle prophecy for resigning/being fired?)

(and is use of the "royal" "We" symbolic of carrying a $10 million dollar turd in their pocket?)

[Suggested Reading (again): The Mark Inside by Amy Reading]

Of course, one would be unwise not to remember the fact that the Rockefeller and Carnegie Foundations were also built on other people's money and continue to serve us today. Especially in terms of P.B.S./O.E.T.A. and N.P.R./offshoots. so who am i to judge? still . . . Doubtin' [Abby] is better than the alternative . . . isn't it? =)

RadicalModerate
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Cool Logo. Sort of a Celtic/Germanic Fusion Deal.
May they live long and prosper. And keep people just as happy as they ought to be.

Note to ZooKeeper: IYCD'eMwB***S,D'eMwBS has always been one of my "mottos"/"warning signs" =)
(much like SOSDD or even: SOSDDPHD . . . =)

ljbab728
03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
An update after an independent audit.

Oklahoma City bombing fund audit reveals no improprieties | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-bombing-fund-audit-reveals-no-improprieties/article/3768266)

BBatesokc
03-22-2013, 05:37 AM
I'm glad the audit was done. While I agree the funds should not go towards efforts not directly related to survivor needs I also agree that it shouldn't be treated like a lottery jackpot and just handed out.

There are most always two sides to a story and the story told was pretty one-sided. I was not surprised to see certain people leading the charge amongst the bombing victims/survivors/relatives. I worked at Children's & University Hospital during the bombing in the PR and marketing department and we dealt directly with one of the more high profile relatives of a high profile survivor and that person had us at wits ends making demands for this and that (including wanting a larger home, wanting a very expensive van, cash, etc.).

MustangGT
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Sadly there has been a schism in the Bombing Survivors Group almost from the beginning. Those that want a little bit of assistance to get on with their lives and those that want to profit from their loss. Those in the former have moved beyond the tragedy and have not let it brand them for the rest of their lives. Many of the latter were so called tv darlings for quite a while.