View Full Version : New Business in Moore

Intrepid
06-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi...

Does anyone know what is going to be built in the area behind the Super Wal-Mart in Moore?

They have been clearing out trees and leveling dirt for some time.

Rumors are that there is a new movie theater coming in - WOO HOO!

But, an employee with Home Depot (and boyfriend of my supervisor at work), says that his store on S. Shields and I-240 is closing and relocating to Moore.

Any thoughts??

Thanks...

Jay
06-26-2005, 12:46 AM
I think that is kind of crazy for Home Depot to do that. They would have a reasonable buffer between the two stores.

The distance between the two stores is the about the same as the three NW OKC stores.

I think this is nothing more than a rumor. Home Depot would lose business to Lowes. Most people who live southside will not drive to I-40 and Rockwell or to 19th street for Home Repair stuff. Let alone contractors that are working southside on home repair or home building.

Closing the Shields store would be a stupid move. Relocating to another location on 240 I could believe but, not a move clear to Moore.

Besides, if I remember right it was listed in the paper. That Home Depot is going on the southwest corner of 19th and Telephone Rd. I think the article also mentioned that the Norman and Shields store would operate as usual. For the fact that the Moore Home Depot will be smaller than the other OKC stores.

Intrepid
06-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Ok then...I wasn't crazy. I knew I had read something about this in the paper some time ago, but couldn't remember.

This SW corner of 19th and TElephone is the same location I'm speaking of. Now, whether or not this person's store is still closing, I do not know. I haven't asked my supervisor about it lately. But, I would say that he should know as he is one of the store managers. He was saying that the Lowes on I240 and Santa Fe was already putting a big hit on the Home Depot at I240 and Shields and that was one of the reasons for the move. But, as we all know, things change, and the company may indeed be keeping the Shields store open.

I think that is kind of crazy for Home Depot to do that. They would have a reasonable buffer between the two stores.

The distance between the two stores is the about the same as the three NW OKC stores.

I think this is nothing more than a rumor. Home Depot would lose business to Lowes. Most people who live southside will not drive to I-40 and Rockwell or to 19th street for Home Repair stuff. Let alone contractors that are working southside on home repair or home building.

Closing the Shields store would be a stupid move. Relocating to another location on 240 I could believe but, not a move clear to Moore.

Besides, if I remember right it was listed in the paper. That Home Depot is going on the southwest corner of 19th and Telephone Rd. I think the article also mentioned that the Norman and Shields store would operate as usual. For the fact that the Moore Home Depot will be smaller than the other OKC stores.

soonerdm
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Quick update.

I drove by today as they were unveiling a sign that said
Luxury theatre 20 screens
So looks like a grand theatre going in also

Intrepid
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Quick update.

I drove by today as they were unveiling a sign that said
Luxury theatre 20 screens
So looks like a grand theatre going in also

Yes! They are formally announcing it tomorrow morning @ Moore City Hall.

I have not yet found out who the entertainment group is. But I did see an email from the Moore Chamber stating that it was a "major entertainment company"

This is something that I have been waiting on for years!! And remember that this is one of the very reason I voted for our current mayor. Years ago, he promised that a new movie theater would come to Moore. Better late than never I always say!!!

Pete
07-08-2005, 10:54 AM
On another board I read there is a new billboard on this site claiming it will be:

www.warrentheatres.com

I think this may be the company trying to get permits to build at McArthur & Memorial.

From their site, their theaters are impressive, although it looks like they only have 3 locations currently, all in Wichita.

jbrown84
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
If it really is a Warren Theatre then that is great. I have family in Wichita and they are VERY nice theatres. Fancy art deco inside with cool murals all over the walls. And they have a big main theatre in the middle similar to the Cine Capri at Harkins but it has a balcony which is for adults only and serves refreshments including alcholic beverages. I also wondered if they were the ones trying to go head to head with AMC out there at MacArthur and Memorial.

Pete
07-08-2005, 12:14 PM
After re-reading this 7/2/04 article from the Oklahoman, Warren must be the theater chain the developers are hoping to include at the SWC of Memorial & McArthur:

Homeowners irked by plans for movie theater

By Tricia Pemberton
Business Writer

Some residents near Memorial Road and MacArthur Boulevard are opposed to a developer's plans to build a 20-screen theater on the southwest corner of the intersection.
The developer promises, however, the theater will be upscale and unlike anything else currently in the Oklahoma City market.

"Several neighborhoods are opposed to this," said Greg Schmidt, who lives on Mayberry Place in the Northlake subdivision, directly behind the building site.

"The traffic over there is bad now," he said. "The car wrecks at the intersection are unbelievable."

He's also concerned with the noise and how the theater will look.

"I'm kind of disappointed that that's what that site is being used for. I think there would be better uses for the community, more upscale retail maybe, like Spring Creek (Plaza) in Edmond," Schmidt said.

Krista Pippin, another Mayberry Place resident, said she'd like something nicer to look at and more time-controlled than a movie theater.

"We're worried about crime that might come with late-night movies," she said.
Bob Stearns, with developer Sooner Investment Co. that is planning the $25 million site with partners under the name Westlake Development Co., said the site already is zoned for a theater; the issue is only the size.

"We want to put in a large, upscale theater, unlike anything we have in the market now," Stearns said.

Plans also call for additional retail and restaurant space, he said. He would not disclose which theater company or other tenants are being considered for the site.

Stearns said the group is attempting to get a special exception from the city to build a larger-than-average theater.

"We're trying to build a nicer theater than what we'd be allowed to build. We could put a Wal-Mart there, but we have to get a special-use permit to build a bigger theater," he said.

Bob Tener, an Oklahoma City planner, said the property is zoned commercial, which can include a theater, but with capacity of more than 500 patrons, a special exception is required.

Before the exception is granted, however, affected homeowners are invited to a public hearing where they will be given an opportunity to voice their concerns, Tener said.

fromdust
07-08-2005, 09:06 PM
the news out there is that theaters are doing horrible we do not need another right now. ( about the propessed theater on memorial.)

Pete
07-08-2005, 09:34 PM
It does seem that any new theaters just cannalbilize the existing ones.

The Moore project will probably kill the screens at Crossroads.

Pete
07-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Kansas businessman announces he will build world's largest 20-Plex theater in Moore; 'Yesteryear' theater project to cost $30 Million

Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005

by Pamela Grady

pgrady@okcbusiness.com

Warren Theatres, out of Wichita, Kan., announced today it will be building a 150,000-square-foot, 20-plex movie theater in Moore off Interstate 35.

The estimated cost for the theater is $30 million and it is scheduled to break ground within five months and be completed next December.

The theater will be situated off 19th Street in south Moore on a 25-acre site west of I-35 and off Telephone Road. The 20-plex will sit behind a Wal-Mart Superstore and be the north anchor of the growing commercial development off 19th Street, including the Riverwalk retail area.

Warren Theatres Founder and President Bill Warren said his theaters are distinct in that they are reminiscent of the grand cinemas of yester-year, including art deco architectural elements, luxury terrazo marble and granite flooring and detailing and plaster sculpted ceilings. However, he said his theaters have the modern touches, as well, and include custom-designed, high-back recliner seats.

As well, the theater will be the metropolitan area's first theater to include balcony seating (for an extra $15 fee), custom designed love seats, at-your-seat dining and cocktail services, a lounge, and an intimate sitting area featuring a fireplace. The theater also will house a "Forties-style" soda fountain, game room and crying room for families.

In an Oklahoma City press conference today, Warren said the theater will be the largest 20-plex in the world, complete with 80 foot wide wall-to-wall screens and waterfall draperies which will rise when the movie is about to start. And, unlike other cineplexes, the Warren Theatre will not feature advertising on its screens prior to movie showings.

However, Warren said, his theater's tickets prices will be comparable to other theaters in Oklahoma.

Currently, Warren Theatres is comprised of a handful of theaters in the Wichita, Kan., and Springfield, Mo., areas. As to why Warren chose Moore to build his company's largest theater he said: "We really looked around and because of Moore's growth and the highway access and certainly because of the warm reception from the mayor and all of the people, it was a really good choice."

Warren, who used to own some years ago a theater in Tulsa and the former Shepherd Twin Theater at Shepherd Mall, added: "I love Oklahoma City, always have. We've been looking to come to the Oklahoma City area for 24 months.

When the Warren Theatre in Moore is completed next year, it will employ about 200 people dressed in "uniforms reminiscent of Radio City Music Hall," be safety patrolled, be equipped with automatic ticket machines and conduct ticket sales via the phone and Internet, as well.

Spangenberg Phillips Architecture, out of Wichita, KS is heading the design of the complex, Warren said, and the bidding for a general contractor soon will commence.