View Full Version : Chef'store

ljbab728
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
This is an interesting new concept for OKC that I hadn't heard about. It's also interesting because this is their second store (the first is in Charlotte) and many complain that we are always one of the last places that national retailers look at. And Tulsa doesn't have one yet. LOL

US Foods' Chef'store in Oklahoma City welcomes foodies, restaurant workers and the public | News OK (http://newsok.com/us-foods-chefstore-in-oklahoma-city-welcomes-foodies-restaurant-workers-and-the-public/article/3759623)

RadicalModerate
02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
very interesting . . .
yet . . . shouldn't it be spelled Chefs'store (to imply non-exclusivness/plurality?) =)

ljbab728
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
very interesting . . .
yet . . . shouldn't it be spelled Chefs'store (to imply non-exclusivness/plurality?) =)

No

RadicalModerate
02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Ok

Roger S
02-28-2013, 03:19 AM
The grand opening is this morning at 7 AM.

I've heard this place described as a US Foods version of Sam's Club.

ctchandler
02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
This place reminds me of the William E. Davis Chef's Market that was on N. E. 122nd and then moved to the Northwest corner of Memorial and Penn. Even the pictures in the Daily Oklahoman looked familiar.
C. T.

metro
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Good for OKC!

old okie
03-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Went there today; were certainly reminded of a Sam's, but if we were having a party--or running a food establishment--we would definitely buy things there. Some prices seemed a bit high, but others were quite reasonable. Nice store and friendly staff.

Roger S
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
They have one thing I have not been able to find in OKC..... Beef Short Ribs! I've always had to settle for back ribs.

They also had CAB briskets for $2.40 a pound and I've been paying close to $3.00 a pound for selects at Sam's. CAB has to be at least choice grade to be certified.

I was hoping they would have pork belly, because I make my own bacon, but if they had it. I didn't find it.

ctchandler
03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I bought pork belly at the Meat House in Edmond.
C. T.

I was hoping they would have pork belly, because I make my own bacon, but if they had it. I didn't find it.

Roger S
03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info... I've been getting it from the markets in the Asian District but I live in Moore so I'm always looking for a closer source for pork belly.

ljbab728
03-02-2013, 08:56 PM
They have one thing I have not been able to find in OKC..... Beef Short Ribs! I've always had to settle for back ribs.

They also had CAB briskets for $2.40 a pound and I've been paying close to $3.00 a pound for selects at Sam's. CAB has to be at least choice grade to be certified.

Is their meat all prepackaged or is there a butcher's counter?

RadicalModerate
03-02-2013, 09:19 PM

not at Chefs'Storé there/it ain't.
(they's still some real good--nearly fair t' middlin'--beef short ribs over there at Homeland, et.al.)

Roger S
03-02-2013, 10:07 PM

All in cryovac. I was hoping they might have a counter but they don't.

progressiveboy
03-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I think this is a great store to have in OKC! Lots of "fledging" chefs and cooks. Sounds like it will be very convienent for chefs and restaurant personnel and foodies in general!

Easy180
03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Nice that it is on the south side as well

Corndog1
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
When ur saying beef short rib, are u talking about a plate rib? Been looking for some reasonable priced good meaty 7 or 9 inch beef plate ribs to smoke. Hard to find beef ribs that haven't been trimmed to th bone. Can anyone shop this store or do u need a membership?

ljbab728
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Can anyone shop this store or do u need a membership?

The news article says "open to the public" and doesn't say anything about needing a membership.

Roger S
03-04-2013, 07:21 AM
When ur saying beef short rib, are u talking about a plate rib? Been looking for some reasonable priced good meaty 7 or 9 inch beef plate ribs to smoke. Hard to find beef ribs that haven't been trimmed to th bone. Can anyone shop this store or do u need a membership?

These ribs had the meat on top of the bone and not on the side like beef back ribs.

It is open to the public. The majority of the items they offer are in bulk quantities. So don't go running over there if you just need a small jar of mayonnaise.

Mastermind
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Went there a few days ago after reading about it in the Oklahoman. It's not one of the best restaurant supply-type stores I've been to, but it's nice to have options other than Sam's Club (though I still pray for a Costco and a Trader Joe's). I was tempted to buy a tub of ice cream, but settled for a jug of Louisiana hot sauce :P I might have to go occasionally to buy that and Mexican Fanta and Sprite, even though it's sort of a pain to get there.. unless there are other places that sell cases of it cheaper? Sam's Club only seems to have Mexican Coke :(

Corndog1
03-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Glad to here they have real beef ribs. Oh I don't mind buying in bulk. Smoker is a 16ft trailer, I always fill it full. If I'm going to spend 15hrs cooking I'm going to fill it up and invite everyone. No need in smoking one rack of ribs. Knew my wife loved me th first time I filled it up and she just shook her head at how much I was cooking for just Easter dinner, she just said whatever makes u happy. Course I also fry a turkey for folks to eat while we fry our other turkeys. Kinda guy I am. Going to go check this joint out soon. Thanks for th info.

RadicalModerate
03-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Glad to here they have real beef ribs. Oh I don't mind buying in bulk. Smoker is a 16ft trailer, I always fill it full. If I'm going to spend 15hrs cooking I'm going to fill it up and invite everyone. No need in smoking one rack of ribs. Knew my wife loved me th first time I filled it up and she just shook her head at how much I was cooking for just Easter dinner, she just said whatever makes u happy. Course I also fry a turkey for folks to eat while we fry our other turkeys. Kinda guy I am. Going to go check this joint out soon. Thanks for th info.

Since Coit's decided to throw in the towel . . . maybe an opportunity could be provided to rent a park or dining facility somewhere on the west side and arrange a little "OKCTalk" block party? of course it would have to be one of those informal RSVP deals . . . Perhaps Ingrid's Kitchen would be willing to get involved vis-a-vis parking lot rental (with a strict beverage and side-dish providance agreement, based on the honor system? =)? Nah . . . Too much like an unauthorized "food truck". =)

MadMonk
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Has anyone been into the US Food's Chef Store (http://www.usfoods.com/about-us/chef-store.html) on I-240? From what I can tell, it's like a Sam's club for restaurants. Is it worth a look? It's out of my way, but I have driven by it several times in the past few weeks and have been meaning to ask about it on here.

I'm interested in getting some good quality, heavy baking sheets to replace our old, crappy ones. Any better alternatives on where to find these besides Bed, Bath & Beyond?

Jeepnokc
04-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Definitely go! I like their meat better than Sams and there are all types of food you would see in the restaurants for appetizers, condiments, etc. They have a decent selection of commercial kitchen gear. Some of their prices are higher though so need to watch prices. For example, I think their spices are extremely high. I have started buying my coffee for the office there as they have individual packs in the bulk size at decent prices.

Jeepnokc
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Check their hours though as they close early and also have different closing times depending on day of week.

MadMonk
04-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Monday—Wednesday, Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Yeah, I'm only near there during the workday occasionally. I guess I'll have to check it out at lunch or on the weekend.

It doesn't say anything about a membership on the website. I guess none is required then.

Roger S
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
You might give this thread a look.... http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/33398-chefstore.html

There is also a restaurant supply store that is open to the public about midway between NW 23rd and NW 36th on May Avenue.... They only sell equipment. No food.

Martin
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
i really love this place and go pretty regularly. you're buying in restaurant quantities but don't need a membership like sam's. they have a decent selection of equipment and have baking sheets, but i mainly go for the food. -M

MadMonk
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
You might give this thread a look.... http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/33398-chefstore.html

There is also a restaurant supply store that is open to the public about midway between NW 23rd and NW 36th on May Avenue.... They only sell equipment. No food.

Thanks. I did do a search before posting, but didn't take into account my misspelling of the title. :)

Martin
04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
but didn't take into account any misspelling of the title.

even though it looks weird, that's how the company spells it. -M
CHEF'STORE | US Foods (http://www.usfoods.com/about-us/chef-store.html)

mmonroe
04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
These guys came around to all the restaurants in the city recruiting business. They have ours now, replacing SAMS thats for sure.

Pete
04-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Didn't realize this is only one of three locations in the entire U.S.

U.S. Foods is the owner and they are an absolute monster in food distribution. They were recently purchased by Sysco for $8.2 billion.

Pete
04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Here is a link to their periodic circular where you can see some of their items and prices:

US Foods CHEF'STORE (http://www.usfoods.gaprc.org/Oklahoma_City/)

Roger S
04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks. I did do a search before posting, but didn't take into account my misspelling of the title. :)

It was buried a few pages deep but I knew it was in there somewhere. ;)

Pete
04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
I didn't realize a Restaurant Depot opened in OKC last September on NE 36th just east of Lincoln:

Food Service Wholesale Cash and Carry Bulk Foods Food Service Equipment (http://www.restaurantdepot.com/home)

X4qwuBdYcj8

Roger S
04-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Yep but I believe you have to meet some requirements in order to get a free membership to get in there don't you?

Pete
04-02-2014, 02:51 PM
^

Yes, you have to own a restaurant, food business or nonprofit.

Or know someone who will lend you their card. :)

Mastermind
04-12-2014, 04:31 AM
I didn't realize a Restaurant Depot opened in OKC last September on NE 36th just east of Lincoln:

Food Service Wholesale Cash and Carry Bulk Foods Food Service Equipment (http://www.restaurantdepot.com/home)

Oh my gosh I didn't see or read anything about this until now!
This is why I'm grateful this board exists, otherwise I'd be completely clueless on what's happening around this darn city :bow:

I use to go to a Restaurant Depot in my previous state of residence and it was glorious.
I thought Chef'Store would be as good, but it's always underwhelming :/

And so like the rest of you guys I will now need to find someone who will lend their card. If they sell Orangina, then I'm gonna completely ditch Chef'Store :tongue:

EDIT: Just looked through RD's flyer and they sell green tea ice cream. GREEN. TEA. ICE. CREAM. Plus the prices seem better than Chef'Store.