View Full Version : Just Curious

Charlie40
02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a question I was wanting to throw out to the group to see others thoughts on this. Well anyway we have a forclosed house across the street and down a bit from my house, an out of state investment company purchased it and I guess are leaseing it out. A family moved in a few months ago, there are quite a few of them and they park in the yard and are always working on junk cars all hrs of the day and night which gets annoying. One day I noticed they removed the house numbers from the house and this struck me as strange, why would someone do that? It makes me think something illiegal may be going on or they dont want to be reported for some reason using there house number. Does anyone know any legitimate reasons a person would remove the house numbers off there house? I would really like to run these people off any ideas on how to do that as well?

Thanks

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Not sure about the house numbers but many cities have ordnances about parking in the yard and such. Is there a home owners association in your area? Or drop a dime on them to the police tip line lol

Charlie40
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
No, We do not live in a neighborhood with a homeower association.

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
A call to City Hall might get your other questions answered.

Achilleslastand
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
You might try the OKC action center....
City of Oklahoma City | Action Center (http://www.okc.gov/action/index.html)

Zuplar
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I believe if you live in OKC city limits you are not supposed to park cars on unimproved surfaces. Maybe go introduce yourself, doing the "neighborly thing" and see if you can get a feel for what is going on.

BBatesokc
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Only 'reason' I can come up with is to make it difficult for others to report the house.

We had a similar house at the end of our street, but it was the actual home owner living there. I learned City Action is often a waste of time other than to keep a record of citizen complaints. Myself and others would call about yard parking, garbage in his yard and vehicle with flat tires. 99% of the time City Action would simply give him a warning with so many days to rectify the problem. He'd literally push even more garbage out into his yard until the last day just to piss off whomever called in on him. Then on the last day he'd pick it all up and then do it all over again 30 days later. Took photographing his home on a near daily basis and calling police and insisting on being allowed to sign a ticket to ever get anything done.

Another problem with yard parking is that if the cars are gone when the inspector drives by, then the complaint is voided. This is common when people only park in the yard in the evenings and leave for work the next day. Also, the neighbor found some way around the yard parking because his garage sticks out further than the rest of his house - so, technically he could park in the part of his yard that is within the furthest point his home protrudes (probably didn't explain that very clear).

We have 3 Section 8 homes on our cul-de-sac and on occasions the renters are horrible. Fortunately I don't live next to any of them. The neighbors that do make it a point to call the homeowner and tell them "If your renter is going to wake me up at 2am with loud music and parties then I'm going to wake you up too!"

Easy180
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Neighbors two doors down had to leave quickly and unfortunately rented to what appears to be a football team based on the amount of trucks parked in the driveway and street

Not too horrible for us but our next door neighbor who has been with us since we both built are now considering moving...I understand folks may have to rent but damn

kelroy55
02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
I believe if you live in OKC city limits you are not supposed to park cars on unimproved surfaces. Maybe go introduce yourself, doing the "neighborly thing" and see if you can get a feel for what is going on.

My neighbor is a plumber and he parked his plumbing truck in his back yard on a gravel area and they made him put in a concrete slab to park it on. Not sure if it was the city or a neighborhood association.

OKCTalker
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Contact the owner and have a phone conversation with the person in charge, if he/she can be found. Be familiar with specific municipal codes the renters are violating, and also with the process for declaration of a public nuisance. Let them know that this is a friendly call to inform them about things they not be aware of, with the hopes that they will correct things. Express that future responses by you and other neighbors will be less friendly. Get a telephone number and email address to report problems that you observe. Then confirm your discussion in writing with a copy to your neighbors.

Zuplar
02-27-2013, 08:07 AM
My neighbor is a plumber and he parked his plumbing truck in his back yard on a gravel area and they made him put in a concrete slab to park it on. Not sure if it was the city or a neighborhood association.

I would think gravel would be considered improved, so I bet it's a neighborhood thing. I know my HOA doesn't allow gravel even though people just drive on the grass instead, which isn't supposed to happen. I'd honestly rather people gravel then rut up their yard. Sometimes it doesn't make the most sense to spend thousands on concrete.

BBatesokc
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I would think gravel would be considered improved, so I bet it's a neighborhood thing. I know my HOA doesn't allow gravel even though people just drive on the grass instead, which isn't supposed to happen. I'd honestly rather people gravel then rut up their yard. Sometimes it doesn't make the most sense to spend thousands on concrete.

I know the city has some sort of requirement of gravel or pavement. Friend has a mechanic shop and the city made him put gravel down where he was parking customers cars (previously on the grass). His property is zoned commercial vs. residential however.

rezman
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
In Oklahoma City, you can put gravel down in the area you wish to park. I think there are stipulations on how you have to go about it, but it doesn't have to be concrete.