View Full Version : Pork Loin

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm going to smoke a stuffed pork loin this weekend and wanted to know if anybody knew if it's ok to freeze a cooked loin without hurting the flavor.

Roger S
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Nothing frozen is ever going to taste as good as it did when you cooked it but if you have a Foodsaver your results will be better. If you don't have a foodsaver get as much air out of the bag/container you are using to freeze it in because air is the enemy in the freezer.

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
I was only going to freeze it long enough to overnight some to a friend if DFW so it's not going to be long term. Thanks for the info :)

BlackmoreRulz
02-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Undercook it just a shade and let it finish cooking when you bring it back up to temp

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Undercook it just a shade and let it finish cooking when you bring it back up to temp

Good idea... Since I'm smoking it I can take it off after 3 hours and freeze the part I'm sending south and finish the rest up in the oven.

Roger S
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Yep, I agree with this technique.

I'm curious as to how you plan to ship it.... You need to make sure that the temperature in the shipping vessel remains below 40 degrees or you might be sending your friend to the hospital with food poisoning.

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
After freezing it solid I'll wrap it in foil and also wrap a towel around it and place it in a small styrofoam cooler. That should hold it for less that 24 hours. I've sent frozen chicken soup up to a friend in S Dakota and it was still frozen when it got there.

kevinpate
02-26-2013, 10:17 PM
maybe utilize some dry ice?

RadicalModerate
02-27-2013, 07:08 AM
maybe utilize some dry ice?

exactly what crossed my mind . . . but where does one buy dry ice?

kevinpate
02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Check with Wal-Mart. West side in Norman has it.
Maybe a Homeland or other grocer.

Cha Cha says AirGas at 2505 Purdue in OKC, phone 681-8250

If none of the above work, take a stroll via Dry Ice Directory - Where to buy Dry Ice (http://www.dryicedirectory.com)

on edit"
[whut da freaky deaky was that?!?!?!]

Roger S
02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
I think all of the Crest grocery stores sell dry ice.

kelroy55
02-27-2013, 09:08 AM
another good suggestion

OKCRT
02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
another good suggestion

Buy For less store on NW Expressway around Portland has dry ice. You wanna know how I know? I will tell you. When we had a hail storm a couple years ago I tried the dry ice trick to see if it would pull out the dings on a PU. Didn't work for me so I wasted a few bucks on the ice but now I am much wiser than before.. But if you do the dry ice make sure you where some gloves and put it in your cooler and seal it tight. Take your ice chest to the store with you BTW.

Dry ice will do the trick and it's cheap.

RadicalModerate
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
If I were in the market for dry ice, I would buy some extra just for its entertainment possibilities.
The first time I ever saw dry ice was in a First Grade Class at a little sub-sub-urban primary school.
We--that is, we the students--marvelled at how it seemed to "smoke" while still being cold!
And we were astounded by what occured when you put some dry ice in some water (bubbling, etc.).

At some point, the "class clown"--not me, really, not me--grabbed a chunk of it, stuck it in his mouth, and proceeded to do a fair impression of Groucho Marx using a pencil as a cigar, replete with the Grouchocroucho walk. Yet not for long. =)

This vague memory helps to add an extra layer of appreciation, texture and meaning to that "Flagpole Scene" in "A Christmas Story" . . .

Anyways . . . it's a good idea to keep meat products in transit at or below 40F. Especially pork. Probably horse too. If dry ice works for that, as well, at least now I know where to get some.

kelroy55
02-28-2013, 06:50 AM
How did the class clown, not you, make it out of his dry ice experience?

RadicalModerate
02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
After that episode we all referred to him as "The Quiet Kid." (remember: this was around '58)
When we weren't bullying and making fun of him on the playground.
(just kidding) (no damage done in the making of memories)
(many examples of the same stunt are available on Youtube . . . involving older people who should know better)
(except without using one of those massive pencils they used to try to make us use to learn to print)

Never let Pork get above 40-deg. (F) during The Shipping Process.
It isn't a Law . . . It IS the difference between a Gift and a Gag gift.
--The Reform Rabbi o' Refrigeration Standards Approaching Kosher.
Don't be selfish . . . Send some shellfish . . . i mean without a pope, whaddya gonna do fer cryin' out loud?