View Full Version : Dear Dallas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

G.Walker
02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Why must you be so dominant? It seems like you are taking over the world...Driving into your city it seems like the the 20 story towers go on forever. Construction cranes fill your city sky as if they were alive and breathing, as if they were controlling the city. 6 lanes highways grasp me and have me in awe, with 10 story overpasses welcoming me, as if they were saying thank you for coming. Upscale condo towers meet me at every turn...drawing me in...asking me to come in. Your children of tall glass buildings blind me on a sunny day...as if they were spoiled brats taunting me, and I couldn't do anything about it. How hard is it to give up, to just stop building, no more towers, no more roads, no more cars? The sea of roof tops of nice brick homes looks like the ocean...going to the edge of the Earth...as if the Earth was flat...Instead of playing games, my kids count all the airplanes flying into the city, as it never stops. I am coming Dallas...or am I going? I see your city lights in my rear view mirror headed back to my Oklahoma City.

Sincerely,

G.Walker

boscorama
02-16-2013, 07:00 PM
While I have little to no use for Dallas and will never again drive on those interstates, I find it fascinating to look at, preferably from a jet plane.

Give me OKC any day.

RadicalModerate
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Dear Dallas:

Please stay right where you are and resist sprawling.
Think about investing a buck or two into driver's education and the enforcement thereof.
Thank you, in advance, for your careful consideration of my suggestion(s).

OKC doesn't want to be a copycat killer of dreams that really do come true.

(the cowboys were never "america's team" . . . even the soap opera "Dallas" sucked big time.)

RadMod

SOONER8693
02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Dear Dallas, thank you for being the site of the Cotton Bowl stadium and the host of the greatest rivalry game in college football.
As a result of that, you allow us Sooner fans to come down once a year and OWN you. OU owns Dallas.

Just the facts
02-16-2013, 09:00 PM
RIP Dallas - you will never survive $6 gasoline. You have a bad case of the The Sprawl and it is terminal.

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2013, 09:06 PM
I love Dallas! I've lived in OKC all of my life except for 5 years when I lived in Dallas and I was homesick and there is no way I'll ever abandon OKC, but Dallas is freakin awesome. It very might as well be my all time favorite city.

Los Angeles
Houston
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
New York City
Miami
Orlando
Washington D.C.

All time favorite cities..(so far and those are not in order)...

Anyways, I can see OKC becoming something big. We have the potential. Time is the name of the game. The right mix of funding towards urban and suburban agendas is the right way to go. IMO...

ou48A
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
RIP Dallas - you will never survive $6 gasoline. You have a bad case of the The Sprawl and it is terminal.

Wrong^
As CAFÉ standards increase they will be in good shape with their much higher rates of disposable incomes that will only go up if gasoline is $6 The Texas economy is always in boom mode when prices are that high! So is Oklahoma’s!

But short of a war in the Middle East or massive dollar devaluation due to fed monetary policy, because there are massive amounts of new crude supplies coming on line around the world $6 gasoline in Texas is extremely unlikely for the foreseeable future.
GTL will eventually put major pressure on high gasoline prices. It will help hold down prices for many, many decades to come. Fears of outrageously high transportation fuel prices are almost entirely unfounded and are not really a very rational way to think in today’s market place.

Unless we allow our elected leaders to put us into utter national bankruptcy the abundance of relatively cheap transportation fuel puts the American culture of suburbia and the freedom of the automobile in a very secure place for a life time.

ou48A
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
I love Dallas! I've lived in OKC all of my life except for 5 years when I lived in Dallas and I was homesick and there is no way I'll ever abandon OKC, but Dallas is freakin awesome. It very might as well be my all time favorite city.

Dallas is fun place when you are young and have money to burn but after a while a person can get burned out on the superficial and pretentious parts of Dallas society that they are so well known for.
But there are very nice areas and very nice people doing very good things in the DFW area.
I like the slower pace of Norman much better.

ou48A
02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Dear Dallas, thank you for being the site of the Cotton Bowl stadium and the host of the greatest rivalry game in college football.
As a result of that, you allow us Sooner fans to come down once a year and OWN you. OU owns Dallas.For the attending fans I don’t think sports is capable of being any better for the fans of the 2 teams involved than what takes place at Fair Park for the OU Texas game. + They are getting ready to make some more major stadium improvements.
I have walked out of that stadium to many times on the wrong in of the score to ever say OU owns Dallas. One of these days Stoops won’t be around and Texas will finally have a good head coach and things won’t be the same…. Savor each win.

Dustin
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
I love Dallas. I never understood the Texas vs. Oklahoma crap and still don't. I go every year for a giant gaming convention called Quakecon. It's held at the Hilton Anatole which is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen.

I much prefer OKC over Dallas though. I just can't stand the traffic and the sh!tty drivers.

Just the facts
02-16-2013, 10:36 PM

Los Angeles
Houston
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
New York City
Miami
Orlando
Washington D.C.

All time favorite cities..(so far and those are not in order)...

Anyways, I can see OKC becoming something big. We have the potential. Time is the name of the game. The right mix of funding towards urban and suburban agendas is the right way to go. IMO...

I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.

OKCisOK4me
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Los Angeles
Houston
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
New York City
Miami
Orlando
Washington D.C.

No love for Chicago??

progressiveboy
02-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I love Dallas. I never understood the Texas vs. Oklahoma crap and still don't. I go every year for a giant gaming convention called Quakecon. It's held at the Hilton Anatole which is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen.

I much prefer OKC over Dallas though. I just can't stand the traffic and the sh!tty drivers. I agree about the traffic in Dallas. Horrible to say the least. It is not going to get better either. The drivers in Dallas can be a little edgy and agressive. Dallas wants to continue to grow and grow with urban sprawl. They are very agressive at landing major corporate relocations and good paying jobs. Two weeks ago it was announced that Amazon would locate a large office and distribution center. Dallas wealth is quite phenomenal with lots of wealthy people with high disposable incomes. The upscale restaurants and shops are always busy as "many" Dallasites love to dine well and shop in high affluent shops. The new Perot Science Museum and the Winspear Opera House showcases Dallas as a very forward thinking, cosmopolitan city.

adaniel
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Dallas is fun place when you are young and have money to burn but after a while a person can get burned out on the superficial and pretentious parts of Dallas society that they are so well known for.

This! The traffic and the crowds don't really bother me. The general attitudes, however, annoy the hell out of me. I've been out of Dallas for a few years now, and while I doubt I will stay in OKC forever I'm in no hurry to move back. Very materialistic, lots of conspicuous consumption, not uncommon for people to be carrying serious credit card debt. It should be no surprise the term "credit card millionaire" was first used to describe the douchey club scene in Uptown Dallas. Just yesterday I saw on my facebook feed a friend from high school cheesing in front of a brand new BMW 5 series. I know for a fact this guy makes at most 50K but he is buying (or likely leasing) a car worth that much? This is not uncommon at all.

I still enjoy going down there to see my parents and get a quick "big city fix" but I have been travelling to more cities in the past few years and I'm finding that the things DFW offers usually doesn't measure up for a city of its size. Its like the city has grown so big so fast the cultural attractions really haven't caught up. My friend, also a DFW expat, put it best. There are no Santa Monica Mountains or Carnegie Hall in Dallas. The only thing to do for fun is spend money.

Anyway, this thread is very odd. But hey I responded to it.

Teo9969
02-16-2013, 11:48 PM
My friend, also a DFW expat, put it best. There are no Santa Monica Mountains or Carnegie Hall in Dallas. The only thing to do for fun is spend money.

I will have to remember this quote in the future. I hope as OKC matures that we keep that little nugget tucked into the back of our mind so that we can develop some things that have charm, character, and singularity.

MadMonk
02-16-2013, 11:52 PM
For me, Dallas exemplifies the phrase, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there", much like a few other cities like NYC , Chicago and Los Angeles.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 12:20 AM
I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.The only other cities I've ever been too is Tehran. The pollution there alone is enough to make me say that is not on my favorite cities. Almost all cities in Europe are extremely urban(which, again, I am a suburb guy :p ) and I have never to been to them, so I can't accurately judge them. I've been to Tunis, Rio, and Medina. They're okay, but not my favorites.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 12:25 AM
No love for Chicago??TBH, I haven't been to Chicago.

Edit: I've been to O'Hare. Does that count? ;)

ljbab728
02-17-2013, 12:34 AM
TBH, I haven't been to Chicago.

Not unless you love it.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Well, I don't know. Our layover lasted for about 5 minutes so I didn't really get to look around. :p

betts
02-17-2013, 06:04 AM
The only reason I occasionally visit Dallas is because it's close. It's not on my favorite city list, I don't like the weather or the traffic and it has nothing to offer that other cities don't. Chicago is my favorite US city, followed by NYC and San Francisco. I like Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Portland and Seattle, even Atlanta. Not Dallas.

dcsooner
02-17-2013, 06:20 AM
The only reason I occasionally visit Dallas is because it's close. It's not on my favorite city list, I don't like the weather or the traffic and it has nothing to offer that other cities don't. Chicago is my favorite US city, followed by NYC and San Francisco. I like Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Portland and Seattle, even Atlanta. Not Dallas.

Agree, as a transplanted Washingtonian, (and many Oklahomans are here) the allure of Dallas is very overrated. I can easily concur with your list including DC (minus the traffic)

kevinpate
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
My youngest lived in Dallas from end of high school until last month. He's fairly happy to be back in Oklahoma.
He'd likely be happier about it if he'd brought all his heart with him. These things happen.

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
TBH, I haven't been to Chicago.

If you landed the lunar module on the moon but didn't get it out, would you tell people you went to the moon? I would.

catch22
02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Chicago is one of my favorite cities. Love it, love it, love it.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.Out of curiosity, what are your favorite cities?

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
If you landed the lunar module on the moon but didn't get it out, would you tell people you went to the moon? I would.Yeah, esp. if I'm $200,000 a pound to get me there. lol ;P

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Out of curiosity, what are your favorite cities?

That I have actually been to?

Here is a list based on my experiences.

Cities:
1) London
2) Montreal
3) Philadelphia
4) Chattanooga
5) Charleston
6) Savannah
7) NYC
8) Seattle
9) Reno
10) Salt Lake City

Small towns:
1) St. Augustine, FL
2) Key West, FL
3) Fernandina Beach, FL
4) Gatlinburg, TN
5) Chico, CA
6) East Grinstead, UK

I was in Fernandina yesterday and as we 'speak' I finishing off the last of the fudge I bought at Fantastic Fudge. This stuff is off the chart good.

http://www.flyfishingameliaisland.com/graphics/Fudge.jpg

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice. I just did a little research about Chattanooga, and that place looks awesome! I'm pretty interested in visiting there now. I've heard Savannah is really nice and I've the exact opposite about Reno(assuming you're talking about Nevada). The only other cities I've been to on your list is NYC and Key West. I might have passed through St. Augustine. Nice list though. :)

p.s. I looooooove fudge so when I go to Savannah or Jacksonville I'll definitely take drive down there. The pictures from there look like you could actually make a special trip and stay there for about a week. Very nice little town.

SOONER8693
02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Chicago is one of my favorite cities. Love it, love it, love it.

Pizzeria Uno alone should put it near the top of many folks list.

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice. I just did a little research about Chattanooga, and that place looks awesome! I'm pretty interested in visiting there now. I've heard Savannah is really nice and I've the exact opposite about Reno(assuming you're talking about Nevada). The only other cities I've been to on your list is NYC and Key West. I might have passed through St. Augustine. Nice list though. :)

p.s. I looooooove fudge so when I go to Savannah or Jacksonville I'll definitely take drive down there. The pictures from there look like you could actually make a special trip and stay there for about a week. Very nice little town.

If you make it down this way let me know - I'll give you the grand tour (bring walking shoes).

Zuplar
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree with the sentiment of Dallas can be a nice place to visit, but the traffic all over the Metroplex is just too much for my liking. The only major city I've been too that I could see myself living, or around for that matter is Denver. Chicago, NYC, and San Diego are all nice places to visit, but I can't imagine living there.

ou48A
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I can handled the Dallas traffic but I sure would sure hate to deal with it every day.
There are tons of interstate rebuilding in various stages of reconstruction in the DFW area.
Houston and Austin traffic is probably worse. The smaller Texas City’s generally have a very good network of wide streets and roads with good interstates expressways that are almost always very well maintained.

ou48A
02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I agree about the traffic in Dallas. Horrible to say the least. It is not going to get better either. The drivers in Dallas can be a little edgy and agressive. Dallas wants to continue to grow and grow with urban sprawl. They are very agressive at landing major corporate relocations and good paying jobs. Two weeks ago it was announced that Amazon would locate a large office and distribution center. Dallas wealth is quite phenomenal with lots of wealthy people with high disposable incomes. The upscale restaurants and shops are always busy as "many" Dallasites love to dine well and shop in high affluent shops. The new Perot Science Museum and the Winspear Opera House showcases Dallas as a very forward thinking, cosmopolitan city.

When I said that there were very good people doing very good things in the DFW area the Winspear family came to mind. Many years ago I met some of them. There was a Winspear presents at my wedding representing my wife’s side of the family. I lost track of what they were doing after the connection got a divorce but the older folks were very nice and generous people. I wish the OKC area had more people with that same type of civic generosity.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
If you make it down this way let me know - I'll give you the grand tour (bring walking shoes).Yeah, definitely. I walk alooooooot lol.... I have plenty of walking shoes. :)

Bunty
02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.

Some of us haven't been to the thousands of other great cities in the world to make a well qualified judgment as to where to rate them.

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Some of us haven't been to the thousands of other great cities in the world to make a well qualified judgment as to where to rate them.

I get that, when I started reading his list I thought he was just picking based on what he knew of the cities, not spcifically the ones he had been to. I think Paris is a great city and I am sure I would love it there - but I've never been there myself.

Of course, there is a fine line between a great city and a city with great areas which is why Chicago didn't make my list. Downtown (and surrounding areas are very walkable) but suburban Chicago sucks. I would never live in Tampa again but the Hyde Park, Bayshore, and Channel Side/Harbor Island areas are off the chart awesome.

ljbab728
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I get that, when I started reading his list I thought he was just picking based on what he knew of the cities, not spcifically the ones he had been to. I think Paris is a great city and I am sure I would love it there - but I've never been there myself.

Of course, there is a fine line between a great city and a city with great areas which is why Chicago didn't make my list. Downtown (and surrounding areas are very walkable) but suburban Chicago sucks. I would never live in Tampa again but the Hyde Park, Bayshore, and Channel Side/Harbor Island areas are off the chart awesome.

Have you seen suburban Paris? If it sucks would that negate your opinion just like Chicago?

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Have you seen suburban Paris? If it sucks would that negate your opinion just like Chicago?

Do you have a section of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.

RadicalModerate
02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Do you have a secton of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.

No . . . sorry . . . i've never been to paris . . .("but i've been to Oklahoma" c/o Hoyt Axton plus a lotta years)

Yet . . . Dealy Plaza--in dallas--is amazingly pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Especially when encountered unexpectedly and unintentionally with a sense of deja vu.
And in real life, it looks much smaller than in all the videos and pictures and whatknots . . . might lead one to believe.
(oops . . . sorry . . . i thought this was a conversation about dear dallas as compared to Paris (or jacksonville/atlanta/orlando) . . . my bad . . . =)

the commerce street, 3-D, real life walk prior to the OU/Texas Game on the cusp of the State Fair ain't no slouch either.
especially with all of the cops in texas providing a thin, multi-colored line protecting the public from jay-walking and having uncontrolled fun.
(OU lost that year . . . and the texas fans didn't gloat. it was like a miracle, right under that big statue they us'ta have at the fairgrounds adjacent to the Cotton Bowl Museum)

sorry . . . i didn't intend to say something positive about dallas . . . ok?

(perhaps visiting the tunnels in paris might not be such a good idea? whether in an enclosed vehicle or other alternative? just a thought . . .? why . . . there might even be Phantoms of Oprahs lurkin' about . . . aboot: Canadian Spellin')

Celebrator
02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
That I have actually been to?

Here is a list based on my experiences.

Cities:
1) London
2) Montreal
3) Philadelphia
4) Chattanooga
5) Charleston
6) Savannah
7) NYC
8) Seattle
9) Reno
10) Salt Lake City

Small towns:
1) St. Augustine, FL
2) Key West, FL
3) Fernandina Beach, FL
4) Gatlinburg, TN
5) Chico, CA
6) East Grinstead, UK

I was in Fernandina yesterday and as we 'speak' I finishing off the last of the fudge I bought at Fantastic Fudge. This stuff is off the chart good.

http://www.flyfishingameliaisland.com/graphics/Fudge.jpg

Montreal is SUCH an underrated city. Well worth a visit for that European experience if you can't spare the money or time to go across the pond to France. Highly recommend it!

RadicalModerate
02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
(oops . . . almost forgot)

Dear Dallas:
I know that you love.
I hope that you know you do.
Please be kind and don't steal our water.
thx.
OKC

eta (edited to add): Thank you Celebrator!
(pps: what was the carbon footprint tax on that visit?)
(have you considered . . . Dallas?? (torea) =)

ljbab728
02-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Do you have a section of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.

No, I've been to Paris several times and never spent time in the suburbs. It was a hypothetical question. I have, however, spent time in the suburbs of London when visiting my cousin who lived there and it was not much different than the suburbs of US cities. Would you downgrade London because of some suburbs that weren't walkable?

OKCisOK4me
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Chicago is my favorite US city

You just like it cause your daughter lives there :p

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Yet . . . Dealy Plaza--in dallas--is amazingly pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Especially when encountered unexpectedly and unintentionally with a sense of deja vu. And in real life, it looks much smaller than in all the videos and pictures and whatknots . . . might lead one to believe.
(oops . . . sorry . . . i thought this was a conversation about dear dallas as compared to Paris (or jacksonville/atlanta/orlando) . . . my bad . . . =)3355

Just the facts
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice.

I posted this several years ago. This is a 20 megapixel photo of London. Very very cool.

London World Record Panoramic Photo: See Big Ben, London Eye, Tower Bridge, and more than you can imagine. (http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html)

ourulz2000
03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Fort Worth > Dallas.

bluedogok
03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
For me, Dallas exemplifies the phrase, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there", much like a few other cities like NYC , Chicago and Los Angeles.
Lived in Dallas for two years, then moved back to OKC for ten. I had a chance to move back to Dallas (from Austin) in 2004, a couple of weeks of working there I decided that I had no desire to move back to Dallas.

progressiveboy
03-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Lived in Dallas for two years, then moved back to OKC for ten. I had a chance to move back to Dallas (from Austin) in 2004, a couple of weeks of working there I decided that I had no desire to move back to Dallas. I am starting to grow weary of Dallas myself. The traffic is horrendous and lots of road rage. Lots to do here, however if I decide to stay in Texas, I would definitely choose Austin or Galveston. Galveston has so much history and I happen to love all the Victorian architecture. They just completed "Pleasure Pier" on the Sea Wall with replaced boardwalk and rollercoasters and rides. The Moody Gardens are beautiful. I really like Austin because it's much more diverse than Dallas with a highly educated workforce. The economy is still doing quite well in Austin!

soonerguru
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
No love for Barcelona, Madrid, Paris? Here's how I would rank the cities I've visited or lived in:

1. NYC -- The greatest city in the world (that I've been to / lived in)
2. Paris (this could easily be my first choice)
3. Barcelona
4. Amsterdam
5. Jerusalem
6. Prague
7. Madrid
8. Berlin
9. San Francisco
10. Athens

Note: No London or Asian cities here; haven't been to either....yet. Hoping to change that in the near future.

bluedogok
03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
I am starting to grow weary of Dallas myself. The traffic is horrendous and lots of road rage. Lots to do here, however if I decide to stay in Texas, I would definitely choose Austin or Galveston. Galveston has so much history and I happen to love all the Victorian architecture. They just completed "Pleasure Pier" on the Sea Wall with replaced boardwalk and rollercoasters and rides. The Moody Gardens are beautiful. I really like Austin because it's much more diverse than Dallas with a highly educated workforce. The economy is still doing quite well in Austin!
Before we moved to Denver I would have moved to the Houston area (Clear Lake/Galveston area) before I would move back to Dallas. When we got tired of the heat/humidity in Austin, I told my wife if we were going to put up with it I would rather move to Port Aransas where we could at least have the sea breeze effect and work in Corpus Christi...or we move to Denver. She made her choice.

OKCisOK4me
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Dear Dallas, you suck...

With your high volume traffic, your over priced alcohol and your lack of residents who think Oklahoma is a tick trying to suck the lifeblood out of Texas. I only visit you if I have to. I'd rather vacation in Baghdad than have to be within your city limits. I do like Fort Worth, though ;-)

Teo9969
03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I was in Dallas most of last week and spent almost all my time in the Arts District...I get why New Urbanism is such a big deal to some here now. It was really difficult to find food after 4 and I saw nearly no retail in the areas that I walked. I also got the sense that nobody really walks around down there, even when it's absolutely gorgeous outside.

Nice looking skyline and all, but just really impractical for anyone not in an office building to be in downtown Dallas.

RadicalModerate
03-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Dear Dallas, you suck...

With your high volume traffic, your over priced alcohol and your lack of residents who think Oklahoma is a tick trying to suck the lifeblood out of Texas. I only visit you if I have to. I'd rather vacation in Baghdad than have to be within your city limits. I do like Fort Worth, though ;-)

Why don't you say what you really mean? . . . =)
[Like]

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2013, 12:54 AM
I like Dallas and that's just my opinion. Here's a new bridge if anyone hasn't seen it. Very nice and I wish they would do something really unique with the I-35 bridge near downtown when it comes time to widen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZv3It6uQc&list=FLO8tx46Kpo2WQASjJbQxldw&index=8

ljbab728
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Plupan, I can't imagine any time during the next 50 years that the I35 bridge over the river would need to be widened.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Well, it would be nice if they would do something unique with the current bridge then. Maybe build a pedestrian bridge across the river and do something cool with it.

ljbab728
03-20-2013, 11:43 PM
That would be nice but you can't make every bridge an icon. We have the Skydance Bridge and that may be our last one like that for quite a while. Dallas has plenty of boring bridges also.

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I was thinking about the Skydance bridge as well. Would be kind of awkward (I guess????) putting another expensive and "iconic" bridge in that close to one we just built. I would still vouch for it though. My thinking would be doing something unique for the I-35 bridge and then building a low key, yet cool, pedestrian bridge near the AICC (if that ever gets done :p).

G.Walker
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
I was in Dallas most of last week and spent almost all my time in the Arts District...I get why New Urbanism is such a big deal to some here now. It was really difficult to find food after 4 and I saw nearly no retail in the areas that I walked. I also got the sense that nobody really walks around down there, even when it's absolutely gorgeous outside.

Nice looking skyline and all, but just really impractical for anyone not in an office building to be in downtown Dallas.

+1