View Full Version : New PDL Soccer Team announced for OKC

Decious
02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
United Soccer Leagues (USL) (http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/695817.html)

BlackmoreRulz
02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
How in the world could they use an old pic of the skyline with a release like this?

Praedura
02-16-2013, 12:06 PM
United Soccer Leagues (USL) (http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/695817.html)

Cool! The Oklahoma City FC (Football Club).

From the new teams' press release (http://www.oklahomacityfc.com/OKC_Lands_PDL%20Franchise_Feb13_2013.pdf):

Oklahoma City has been awarded a Premier Developmental League (PDL) soccer franchise and will open its inaugural season
at home on May 11 versus the Austin Aztex.
Home games will be played at Stars Field on the campus of Oklahoma City University.

Don't know much about soccer, but this sounds like a good thing.

theparkman81
02-16-2013, 03:30 PM
This is awesome.

Just the facts
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Looking forward to some soccer.

Dustin
02-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Awesome! I love soccer so I'm looking very forward to this!

I can see them doing well since we have a very large Hispanic population here.

Mississippi Blues
02-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Very cool. I'm big on soccer so I'm pretty pumped for this.

Midtowner
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Just a few years ago, we were in the running for an MLS team. This is possibly a step back.

mcca7596
02-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Just a few years ago, we were in the running for an MLS team. This is possibly a step back.

That was before the Thunder, right?

plmccordj
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM

If I recall correctly, they wanted to put a MLS team here but since Mick Cornett was trying to get the Thunder situation ironed out, he said he was not interested. Then someone suggested they play at the UCO stadium in Edmond. Shortly after that, it died out. I think this news is great news. There is not a stadium there at all but our level of support for this team could be under review for greater things later. :)

dmoor82
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
With the Hispanic influence only growing stronger in OKC,I see this being somewhat popular.Maybe someday a soccer stadium could be built along th OK river?

Mel
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Do they bring their own hooligans or do they recruit locally?

CaptDave
02-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Do they bring their own hooligans or do they recruit locally?

Like the ones shooting up Bricktown?

(Sorry - cheap shot reply to a cheap shot statement.)

andrew3077
02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm a big fan of soccer, so this is awesome news! Any idea of who our rivals will be and when games start?

EDIT: Never mind read the article haha

Mel
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't think soccer hooligans use firearms. Has to be fist and feet. I think it's in their union by-laws.

Zuplar
02-19-2013, 08:17 PM
I didn't really know there was that much interest in soccer here. I know a few guys that are interested in it, but I thought that was only cause they played it in school. I'll have to forward this on.

zookeeper
02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
It surprises me how many kids play soccer over other more traditional sports. The support might very well surprise many of us.

Zuplar
02-19-2013, 10:17 PM
It surprises me how many kids play soccer over other more traditional sports. The support might very well surprise many of us.

Yeah I live close to South Lakes park and it has a huge soccer complex. During the summer it's always busy.

Mississippi Blues
04-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Sorta but not really old news. No one posted it so I'll go ahead & post it.

Club America to play soccer match vs. Oklahoma City FC in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/club-america-to-play-soccer-match-vs.-oklahoma-city-fc-in-oklahoma-city/article/3787408)

TAlan CB
04-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Are they kidding using Oklahoma City University facilities? Geographically it is a good location being more centralized than UCO, but if they want anyone to attend - I suppose they can bring in portable stands. I realize this picture from 'Maps' may be dated, but where is there room for people to watch? 3678

Just the facts
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I love that they are using OCU. Bringing in portable stands, bathrooms, and food vendors shouldn't be a problem.

Fantastic
05-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm a little late posting this, but I'll post it anyway...

I took my son to the first regular season game last week, and I have to say, I was impressed by the presentation and the crowd. Sure it's lower level than the Thunder, Barons, and RedHawks, but I truely enjoyed it, and the soccer was well played, so, props to the players! Also, got a sweet OKC F.C. shirt that I wear proudly around town. Stars Field is extremely small, and it was pretty much standing room only (which was fine, because my son is 2 and probably wouldn't have sit still anyway), but as I said, I was impressed with the crowd. I have no idea what the number in attendance was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was between 1500 and 2000 (pretty good if you ask me). This weeks game had fewer fans (just over 1100), but a drop off is expected after the first game.

Anywho... it was quite awesome, and I really enjoyed it, as did my son. We only made it to the 50th minute before he was too wound up, and it was past his bedtime, so we left. When we first got there, my son didn't understand, but once I showed him that there was a ball on the field he was hooked, and everytime it went out of bounds he would wave at it and say "Bye, bye ball!" So freaking cute.

Ok, way too off subject there... the point is, this was a great experiance, and if you get a chance, go check it out!

Mississippi Blues
05-21-2013, 03:13 PM
This morning while I was on my way to school, I was sitting at a red light & noticed a sticker on the back of an SUV in front of me & it was an OKC F.C. sticker with the #8 underneath it. Even though it was probably a player, it's still cool to see the logo starting to pop up around the city.