View Full Version : CNN anchor suggests meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 09:28 AM

A CNN anchor has asked on live television whether a meteor hurtling past Earth was the result of global warming.

Deborah Feyeric made the faux pas when she transitioned from a discussion about global warming and the blizzard that struck to east coast into a a segment about Asteroid 2012 DA14 - which is projected to pass just 17,200 miles from Earth on Friday.

'We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,' Feyerick says. 'What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps, global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?'

Nye, who has an engineering degree from Cornell University, tries to cut Feyerick off before she even finishes asking the question.

'No, no, no,' he says.

For a moment, he fumbles to answer the ridiculous question.

'... except it’s all science. The word meteorology and the word meteor come from the same root, so, uhh...' he says.

Nye, who applied several times to become a NASA astronaut, seems flabbergasted that the CNN anchor seemed to equate a climatological phenomenon on Earth with an astronomical object traveling through the solar system.

Feyerick, who has worked for CNN for nearly 13 years, graduated from Columbia University in New York City with a degree in English literature.

Popular Science noted that Nye was charitable to his fellow Ivy League grad as he answered her preposterous question.

'Nye was good enough to respond with what sounded like a non-sequitur... instead of saying, "No, dummy,"' noted Popular Science.

The asteroid in question, 2012 DA15, is about 150 feet wide and will be passing closer to Earth than the orbit of many satellites - a close shave by astronomical standards.

If it stuck the surface of the planet, it would likely impact with a force 1,000 times greater than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.

A similar meteorite strike in a remote part of Russia in 1908 flattened 820 square miles of forest.

CNN anchor suggests meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277529/CNN-anchor-suggests-meteor-hurtling-Earth-result-global-warming.html#ixzz2KzATuqSI)

Just the facts
02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Globa Warming - the cause of everything. That is how you know it is true.

Anonymous.
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Too much precipitation? Answer: Global Warming

Too little precipitation? Answer: Global Warming

Too low of temperatures? Answer: Global Warming

Too high of temperatures? Answer: Global Warming

poe
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Kim Kardashian filing for emergency divorce? Global warming.

Hawk405359
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, no one said CNN was the smartest of the news outlets.

OKCisOK4me
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Kim Kardashian filing for emergency divorce? Global warming.

^^^nice!

I'll tell ya, I wonder about the people on newscasts sometimes...

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Or that you know, some times people say things they really don't mean. Especially when you are paid to talk non-stop.
So you're excusing her ignorant question? Is she a professional or not?

Could it be that in the absence of a teleprompter telling the anchor exactly what words to speak, he/she will sometimes say things accidentally that betray his/her true self — like how ignorant he/she really is?

venture
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
So you're excusing her ignorant question? Is she a professional or not?

Could it be that in the absence of a teleprompter telling the anchor exactly what words to speak, he/she will sometimes say things accidentally that betray his/her true self — like how ignorant he/she really is?

Vast majority of news media is crap. They are hired based on how they look on TV and how well they can read a teleprompter. Was the question stupid? Absolutely. Is this an isolated instance? Definitely not. You can turn to any of the 3 major cable news networks and hear ignorant statements/questions at least a dozen times an hour. :-P

The funny thing here is people faking outrage over what is pretty much the norm in US TV news.

ShiroiHikari
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
The economy is in the toilet? Global warming.

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Vast majority of news media is crap. They are hired based on how they look on TV and how well they can read a teleprompter. Was the question stupid? Absolutely. Is this an isolated instance? Definitely not. You can turn to any of the 3 major cable news networks and hear ignorant statements/questions at least a dozen times an hour. :-P
I do not disagree with that. It certainly reflects the state of today's journalism (or purported journalism). 24-hour news networks have done more to dumb down the news than anything else.

The funny thing here is people faking outrage over what is pretty much the norm in US TV news.
I'm not "outraged." It was just a very stupid thing to say.

There are many things that global warming does contribute to. I was simply using someone's ignorant question to illustrate something everyone should be able to agree that global warming could not and does not contribute to.

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Oh come on. You say that with a tone like people don't make mistakes or if they are a professional, they are incapable of it.

Record yourself every day, several hours a day, for a few years and then come back and let me know if you goofed or not.
Oh come on. The differences are:

I'm not paid to be a professional journalist — or at least give the appearance that I'm a professional journalist — on a purportedly journalism media outlet — the same could be said for this networks two chief competitor networks.
I'm not attempting to interview an expert without knowing at least the bare minimum on the subject for which I'm inquiring.
I'm not highlighting every goof and mistake this anchor has made for the last few years.

I'm actually believe in global warming and I am equally bemused by global warming skeptics. However, this raises to a higher level than a simple goof or mistake because of its absurdity on its face. And if you want to put yourself out there as an informed professional journalist, you should be open to criticism when you make a significantly stupid statement on the air in the course of your professional duties.

Jersey Boss
02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Oh come on. You say that with a tone like people don't make mistakes or if they are a professional, they are incapable of it.

Record yourself every day, several hours a day, for a few years and then come back and let me know if you goofed or not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

Just the facts
02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Give her a break - it isn't like she took a drink of water.

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Give her a break - it isn't like she took a drink of water.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

Of Sound Mind
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
sorry... dup

Just the facts
02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
KThBCn_xJOY

Plutonic Panda
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
An new tower not being announced this year? Gloooooobal warming ;)

TAlan CB
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Too much precipitation? Answer: Global Warming

Too little precipitation? Answer: Global Warming

Too low of temperatures? Answer: Global Warming

Too high of temperatures? Answer: Global Warming

Well, one suspects you are being sarcastic ... but you realize that in this case the answer is 'yes' - probably not in the same place, at least not at the same time.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
My opinion of CNN remains the same.
My opinion of Bill Nye remains the same (except for I hate to see him get so old. he was the Steve Martin of Science for awhile)
My opinion of "News Presentation in General" remains unchanged: It gets worse and more idiotic every day.
(but that's just my opinion and that's the way it is.)

Plutonic Panda
02-15-2013, 11:04 PM
It's unchanged because it's changing? 0_o

RadicalModerate
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Yes. It's much like the difference between banter and blather and the inability to know--or discern--the difference.
(all of which revolves around the misuse of those pesky pronouns like it.)

Just the facts
02-15-2013, 11:25 PM
My opinion of CNN remains the same.
My opinion of Bill Nye remains the same (except for I hate to see him get so old. he was the Steve Martin of Science for awhile)
My opinion of "News Presentation in General" remains unchanged: It gets worse and more idiotic every day.
(but that's just my opinion and that's the way it is.)

Courage.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Courage.
In the face of Global Warming.

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2013, 01:41 AM
Yes. It's much like the difference between banter and blather and the inability to know--or discern--the difference.
(all of which revolves around the misuse of those pesky pronouns like it.)Give me a day or to, two ponder upon that, if you don't mind. ;P

kelroy55
02-16-2013, 06:01 PM

two dozen if you watch FOX morning show.

Tritone
02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
And, it's not just national television, either. I've heard some real gems out of the mouths of...er, newsreaders.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2013, 06:47 AM
The rush to be the first clever person in the room to point out the connection between the event of the day and global warming is probably one of the biggest reasons people might be skeptical. First off, it is GW pollution. It never, never stops, like a tween age girl in love with the current pop star. Second, most of the comments we hear, correct or otherwise, tend to be uttered by people we wouldn't trust to water our plants for a weekend. Finally, it is delivered as if it is gospel - as if the speaker is an evangelist and true believer who can't handle skepticism. Do YOU know where you are going to spend eternity!? And, btw, let me tell you a little story about a man with a young family who failed to buy insurance...

bandnerd
02-17-2013, 07:31 AM
The obesity epidemic? Global Warming.

RadicalModerate
02-17-2013, 08:32 AM
"Coming up after the break . . . Has an overindulgence in Global Warming stories caused the outbreak of a rash of fat-headed newscasters that some link to the the obesity epidemic? Skeptics disagree."

kevinpate
02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Second, most of the comments we hear, correct or otherwise, tend to be uttered by people we wouldn't trust to water our plants for a weekend.

:tiphat:

TaoMaas
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Once upon a time, a wise man said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." An electrician was working upon the circuits controlling the lighting in our tv studio years ago. One of our crew members said, "Have you ever shocked yourself?" The electrician said, "What do you do here? Push buttons? Have you ever pushed the wrong button? Well...there's your answer."

PennyQuilts
02-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Once upon a time, a wise man said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." An electrician was working upon the circuits controlling the lighting in our tv studio years ago. One of our crew members said, "Have you ever shocked yourself?" The electrician said, "What do you do here? Push buttons? Have you ever pushed the wrong button? Well...there's your answer."

Hahaha, well, I understand the sentiment and normally I would agree with you about cutting someone some slack - except in this case, it was just such a strange comment that it is difficult to believe it was just jabbering - it would be like confusing your dog with a hammer. Moreover, there is SUCH crap out there about global warming that whenever someone says something so incredibly stupid, there is a certain level of piling on. And when I say crap - that doesn't mean I don't think it is happening (note - I don't know if there is "global warming" as it is preached even if I am convinced we are undergoing climate change). What I mean is the fact that some people attribute EVERYTHING to global warming, even if it is an event that is typical for the region/within the range of normal. If there is a storm, if there isn't, if it rains, if it doesn't, if it is hot, if it is cold - GLOBAL WARMING!

Just the facts
02-17-2013, 02:21 PM

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Demtri Martin says you shouldn't throws stone regardless of your housing situation.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Every time I point out the blatant idiocy of something said by newscasters or the advertisers that support them it pisses off my wife . . . then, she thinks for a moment and either plugs in the newly arrived DVD from Netflix or switches to Create or some other educational channel. It's a type of unspoken agreement. Without her having to agree with the fact that I mocked the bullschite rather than buying into it . . . =)

i'm fairly certain that Demitri Martin broke into George Carlin's and or Steven Wright's house to steel that joke.
(Breaking Nooz: Demitri Martin has been exposed as a plagiarizing glass breaker . . . etc... and so forth... which end of this hose do i hook up to the spigot . . .?)