View Full Version : Postal Service Ending Saturday Mail Delivery

Pages : [1] 2

OKCTalker
02-06-2013, 07:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/us/postal-service-plans-to-end-saturday-delivery.html?hp&_r=0

WASHINGTON — The Postal Service is expected to announce on Wednesday morning that it will stop delivering letters and other mail on Saturdays, but continue to handle packages, a move the financially struggling agency said would save about $2 billion annually as it looks for ways to cut cost.

The agency has long sought Congressional approval to end mail delivery on Saturdays. But Congress, which continues to work on legislation to reform the agency, has resisted. It is unclear how the agency will be able to end the six-day delivery of mail without Congressional approval.

Raising rates and cutting services. Is there any question how this will end?

Pete
02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
The gov may try to intercede because there will be a massive outcry.

But something clearly has to be done.

Fortunately, most of us are far less reliant on the mail than we used to be. In fact, I can't think of anything other than packages that I can't do without.

frontallobotomy
02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree with Pete. If the 1st of the month falls on a Saturday you may hear an outcry from those that get a government check.

metro
02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Hopefully, they can eventually sell the USPS off or privatize it and make it more efficient.

Just the facts
02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Dup post.

Just the facts
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I agree with Pete. If the 1st of the month falls on a Saturday you may hear an outcry from those that get a government check.

I thought the federal government was switching over to direct deposit for everything. I am not sure they actually mail checks anymore.

On edit. Starting March 1 everything goes electronic only.

Direct Deposit (http://www.ssa.gov/deposit/)

Bunty
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Hopefully, they can eventually sell the USPS off or privatize it and make it more efficient.

Can this be done without a constitutional amendment since the constitution required that the Post Office be established?

On Jan. 31 the Post Office tried to become more efficient by giving eligible clerks $15,000 to retire. Only 20,000 retired. The good pay at the Post Office plus the benefits are hard to let go of.

Unless FEDEX or UPS does the buy out I don't think those two companies want to see the post office go private and so free it to compete better with them. For instance, the Post Office isn't supposed to own its own fleet of planes.

The Post Office is not supposed to suck up our tax dollars to help it operate. So it's a dirty shame Congress has driven the Post Office to near bankruptcy by requiring it to pay more billions of dollars to retired employee health benefits than was necessary.

venture
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Has anyone done a study on what it would do to the economy if they raised postage in increments of 5 cents instead of this penny here and there? At this point we almost might as well be at 50 or 75 cents a stamp for first class mail.

frontallobotomy
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I thought the federal government was switching over to direct deposit for everything. I am not sure they actually mail checks anymore.

On edit. Starting March 1 everything goes electronic only.

Direct Deposit (http://www.ssa.gov/deposit/)

Makes sense... thanks

RadicalModerate
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Fortunately, most of us are far less reliant on the mail than we used to be. In fact, I can't think of anything other than packages that I can't do without.

I know I'll feel like doing some out-crying when we have to wait until Monday for that Netflix disc we asked for . . .

Pete
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
True about Netflix... They will be one of the businesses impacted the most.

RadicalModerate
02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I think we need to keep a close eye on The Redbox Cartel Lobby.

BBatesokc
02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Can only speak to how it would/wouldn't impact me - I can confidently say it wouldn't effect me one bit. All my mail goes to a UPS Store and I only check it once a week. What hits the house is junk mail and I'd love to see less of it. All our bills are paid electronically and automatically.

Larry OKC
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I am old enough to remember when they added Saturday delivery. Got along fine before we had it, will adapt and get along when they take it away.

ON EDIT: Does anyone else remember when it was only 5 days a week? Now I am not so sure...tried to find out what year they started Sat delivery and what came up indicated it has been happening since 1863. It used to be 7 days a week but church groups got it changed to 6 days because church attendance would drop on Sundays as folks gathered at the post office to meet and get their mail. Also, there used to be multiple mail deliveries during the day in larger cities.

Larry OKC
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Also, they said that package delivery will still happen on Saturdays...will that help out the NetFlix folks any??? BY the way, it IS called NETflix, why are you getting a disc in the mail? Would think it would be over the internet (or is that just for ordering it)???

RadicalModerate
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
If you knew something about Netflix you wouldn't have asked that question . . . =)

While waiting for the video, go the library and get a copy of "The Crying of Lot 49" by Thomas Pynchon.
Here's the trailer:
The Crying of Lot 49 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crying_of_Lot_49)

Just the facts
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Also, they said that package delivery will still happen on Saturdays...will that help out the NetFlix folks any??? BY the way, it IS called NETflix, why are you getting a disc in the mail? WOuld think it would be over the internet 9or is that just for ordering it)???

Netflix has two delivery options, via mail and streaming.

Lord Helmet
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Netflix has two delivery options, via mail and streaming.

Though they don't have the option to stream everything...

Larry OKC
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Am surprised that thru the mail is popular...why wait days for it to arrive when there are more immediate options available?

Stew
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
About time. Now raise the price of a stamp to a buck and a quarter then call it a day.

Plutonic Panda
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Netflix streaming is very limited. The Dark Night Rises isn't out for streaming and it is almost a year old.

ljbab728
02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I am old enough to remember when they added Saturday delivery. Got along fine before we had it, will adapt and get along when they take it away.

ON EDIT: Does anyone else remember when it was only 5 days a week? Now I am not so sure...tried to find out what year they started Sat delivery and what came up indicated it has been happening since 1863. It used to be 7 days a week but church groups got it changed to 6 days because church attendance would drop on Sundays as folks gathered at the post office to meet and get their mail. Also, there used to be multiple mail deliveries during the day in larger cities.

I'm certainly older than you, Larry, and I never remember a time without Saturday delivery. This link mentions a few short specific instances.

http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/delivery-monday-through-saturday.pdf

Snowman
02-07-2013, 06:47 AM

I think they were trying to do this like five years ago, clearly did not happen then. Though everyone being less dependent on the mail is part of why they have been needing to react for years.

Just the facts
02-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Netflix streaming is very limited. The Dark Night Rises isn't out for streaming and it is almost a year old.

Some studios don't allow Netflix to stream their movies. However, the Saturday delivery stoppage is for first class mail only and Netflix sends their as media mail so they might not be affected at all. And even if they are - so what? It is just 1 day.

Plutonic Panda
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Some studios don't allow Netflix to stream their movies. However, the Saturday delivery stoppage is for first class mail only and Netflix sends their as media mail so they might not be affected at all. And even if they are - so what? It is just 1 day.Exactly, I don't think this will be an extreme burden on anyone, well, as far Netflix goes. It's a movie and having to wait an extra day shouldn't kill anyone.

bombermwc
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I won't personally miss Sat. Delivery. But i only want that to happen if they can say they'll stop raising rates. If you say this is how to save your "company", don't come back and ask for more two weeks later.

The model of the post office is as broken as the rates. And if they were reliable, they wouldn't have some of the issues they have because people would be using them instead of FedEx and UPS for delivering documents....ie tracking that didnt suck, and a transit time that wasn't stupid.

The reduction in service, is really a pay-cut to the workers by removing a day as well. So if they turn around and want to make it up to the employees, again, you lose the benefit. I may sound harsh, but it doesn't really take that much skill to deliver mail. So if you're making 50K a year doing it, that's a problem to me.

Rivalyn
02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Just read an interesting article where the USPS is hoping Amazon might be its savior. Interesting note where it specifies that this type of service would just make use of existing infrastructure and idle time. (The question that remains is... if there's that much idle time, why not just eliminate it in the first place?)

Could Same-Day Delivery Save the Post Office? - DailyFinance (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/03/could-same-day-delivery-save-the-post-office/)

Just the facts
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Big surprise, the mail delivery union came out against eliminating Saturday delivery.

Larry OKC
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Netflix could gain from loss of Saturday mail delivery | News OK (http://newsok.com/netflix-could-gain-from-loss-of-saturday-mail-delivery/article/3752778?custom_click=pod_headline_business)

RadicalModerate
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Big surprise, the mail delivery union came out against eliminating Saturday delivery.

Dang. And here I was expecting a Saturday delivery of one of the last remaining cases of Hostess Twinkies . . . (sumbitch...grumble)

GaryOKC6
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Alright! I can now enjoy a stress free weekend knowing that I won't receive and bills or junk mail. Very cool!

catch22
02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

What do you expect them to do?

Unions do keep a lot of jobs in America, they are a necessary evil. I hate seeing money out of my check go to my union every month, but they do offer me a lot of job protection when my employer gets happy about cutting costs without any regard to the families those cost cuts affect.

Jersey Boss
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM

You realize that the members who pay dues expect the union to be an advocate for them, right? I would expect nothing less. Would you pay an attorney to represent you and expect the attorney to acquiesce to the demands of your opponent? Sheesh.

zookeeper
02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
You realize that the members who pay dues expect the union to be an advocate for them, right? I would expect nothing less. Would you pay an attorney to represent you and expect the attorney to acquiesce to the demands of your opponent? Sheesh.

Agreed except that the postal workers union put them in the crisis they're in now by getting their health insurance benefits paid for life and all the retroactivity with that. Literally from what I understand anyway is nobody else is forced to do that. Without that albatross they would still be in trouble but within manageable means.

Bunty
02-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Agreed except that the postal workers union put them in the crisis they're in now by getting their health insurance benefits paid for life and all the retroactivity with that. Literally from what I understand anyway is nobody else is forced to do that. Without that albatross they would still be in trouble but within manageable means.

But Congress is requiring the Post Office to pay $5.5 billion for retired employee health care every year. Surely that would drive most big corporations into bankruptcy.

bombermwc
02-08-2013, 07:02 AM
AMEN - the "Union" that is the postal worker's union is in the same boat the GM workers were. The best thing that ever happened to GM was to go into bakruptcy and force the Union to break out of their gold plans. I won't re-has that whole argument here...i said my piece in that thread. But suffice to say, i feel like the contracts need to be re-worked in a way that doesn't force bankruptcy on the "company" as Bunty said.

Just the facts
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Unions are doing the membership a favor? Rule #1 in negotiations - the other party has to be able to live up to their half of the deal. Unions seem to have skipped that rule. They make deals that can't be met by anyone.

Bunty
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
AMEN - the "Union" that is the postal worker's union is in the same boat the GM workers were. The best thing that ever happened to GM was to go into bakruptcy and force the Union to break out of their gold plans. I won't re-has that whole argument here...i said my piece in that thread. But suffice to say, i feel like the contracts need to be re-worked in a way that doesn't force bankruptcy on the "company" as Bunty said.

UPS employees get a pension plan and probably pay is as good as at the Post Office. Yet UPS is doing fine and profitable. No wonder. The Post Office was never allowed to compete better with UPS by acquiring its own fleet of jets.

Jersey Boss
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Unions are doing the membership a favor? Rule #1 in negotiations - the other party has to be able to live up to their half of the deal. Unions seem to have skipped that rule. They make deals that can't be met by anyone.

So are you saying that managerment has entered into a deal in which they are able to live up to their half? To this observer it seems as if management is not able to live up to their end of the deal. With all the lock outs in pro sports, companies declaring bankruptcy while featheing the beds of upper management at the same time (see HOSTESS) it is the unwiilingness of management to live up to their end of the bargain.

kevinpate
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Not sure I really grasp the concept of paying into the pension plan for employees which do not yet exist, but then, I grew up in OK where most govt. connected pensions are not very well funded for the employees that actually already exist.

Snowman
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
So are you saying that managerment has entered into a deal in which they are able to live up to their half? To this observer it seems as if management is not able to live up to their end of the deal. With all the lock outs in pro sports, companies declaring bankruptcy while featheing the beds of upper management at the same time (see HOSTESS) it is the unwiilingness of management to live up to their end of the bargain.

It is hard to say the the pro sports lockouts where the groups were arguing who gets what percentage of the profits and the Hostess lockout where the company was insolvent were in the same league.

ShiroiHikari
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
So where does that annual 5.5 billion bucks for "pensions" go? Why would Congress require something so ridiculous? No wonder the USPS posted such huge losses.

catch22
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM

That's management's problem. They agreed to that half of the deal.

If the company couldn't do it, they shouldn't have agreed to it.

Just the facts
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM

No, what I am saying is if you make deal with someone part of your due diligance to ensure they have the means to live up to their end of deal. If I sell you my computer for $500 now and $1 million you are to pay me in 6 months, it is incumbant upon me to make sure you have the million dollars. This has been especially true in the public employee unions who most negotiate with "management" that doesn't manage anything very well.

catch22
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
It's not the union's responsibility to know how they can come up with the money or benefits, if they agree to sign a contract for it they are responsible to fulfill it.

If I sign a contract saying I am to pay you $1,000,000.00, I am liable for that regardless if I have it. I shouldn't have signed for it if I couldn't do it. That's management's fault.

catch22
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
If the company couldn't provide it, they should have told the unions they are unable to provide it. Offer a solution, and if neither side can agree, they take the case to a judge.

Just the facts
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
At the end of the day, if you can't be paid for a job you already performed, whose problem is it?

catch22
02-08-2013, 09:02 PM
At the end of the day, if you can't be paid for a job you already performed, whose problem is it?

The company's because I'd be going on strike.

Bunty
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
So where does that annual 5.5 billion bucks for "pensions" go? Why would Congress require something so ridiculous? No wonder the USPS posted such huge losses.

Republicans ruled the house and senate in 2006, so I simply assumed it was a good time for them to get back at the Post Office. Many Republicans feel the Post Office should be privatized. Surely union activity in favor of Democrats at the P. O. greatly irritated Republicans.

ShiroiHikari
02-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Why am I not surprised?

kevinpate
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
As seldom as I receive anything on a Saturday that could not easily wait until the following Monday (any of the next several Mondays actually), I won't have any need to up my pepcid count should Saturday service go away.

Just the facts
02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
The company's because I'd be going on strike.

Maybe you aren't getting it. The Post Office doesn't have enough money. They promised more than they can deliver. They aren't going broke, they are broke. Strike all you want but it doesn't change the fact they don't have enough money. If losing Saturday delivery generates this kind of debate I can't wait until austerity comes to America in full force. There is no doubt in my mind why some in Congress don't want the people armed.

I wonder how long it will take someone to propose a fee for paperless billing and on-line bill pay to support the office.

kelroy55
02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I wonder if this will affect PO Boxes since they aren't delivery.

NoOkie
02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Maybe you aren't getting it. The Post Office doesn't have enough money. They promised more than they can deliver. They aren't going broke, they are broke. Strike all you want but it doesn't change the fact they don't have enough money. If losing Saturday delivery generates this kind of debate I can't wait until austerity comes to America in full force. There is no doubt in my mind why some in Congress don't want the people armed.

I wonder how long it will take someone to propose a fee for paperless billing and on-line bill pay to support the office.

What about the part where they're required to fund their pension program for employees 75 years from now? No other organization has this requirement. It's crushing them.

trousers
02-10-2013, 09:34 AM
What about the part where they're required to fund their pension program for employees 75 years from now? No other organization has this requirement. It's crushing them.

Pretty sure this was from Congressional action in 2006. But I think it's more fun to blame the unions.

kevinpate
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I wonder if this will affect PO Boxes since they aren't delivery.

While slipping mail into the PO boxes doesn't involve walking house to house, outside of Hogwarts mail just doesn't get from sorter machine to box via owls. It takes quite a few hands on folks to make that happen.

Just the facts
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't think PO Boxes will be affected.

Just the facts
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM

The Post Office already stopped making those payments so they are not the source of their problem.

bombermwc
02-12-2013, 07:08 AM
PO Boxes are not affected because the Post Offices will be open on Sat. Only delivery will be cut.

JustTheFacts - also, why would anyone be able to add a fee for online bill pay? The bank sure wont do it because they see it as a cost SAVER for them by doing it all electronically. The payee certainly doesn't care either. The only one that loses is the post office. And since billpay is free, it's a better answer than anything the post office could ever hope to offer. Remember, while first class deliveries of letters is down, delivery of packages with USPS is supposedly up. USPS is still cheaper for anything under a couple of pounds...and FedEx and UPS will NEVER be able to touch that price point. The Flat Rate Priority Boxes are still cheaper as well. They just dont have the volume to make up the difference in lose first class letter deliveries (stamps).

It's a simple problem. More is going out to pay for running the place than comes in for income. If it were a private business, it would have filed for bankruptcy.

Just the facts
02-12-2013, 08:00 AM
JustTheFacts - also, why would anyone be able to add a fee for online bill pay?

Why does the government need a valid reason for any fee? Give it some time, someone will try to get a fee added to save the post office. They will probably call it the "Post Office Sustainability Transaction Fee" or POST Fee for short.