View Full Version : Wet shaving, DE and SB shaving

metro
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Any other OKCTalkers into the retro wet shaving, Double Edge Shaving and Straight Blade throwback shaving ala old school barbershops? I've been wanting to dive into DE and SE shaving for a couple years now, but finally went to Carwins Shave Shop in Classen Curve this weekend and took the plunge. Boy am I ever glad I finally made the switch, definitely won't be going back to the boys way of shaving with a Mach 3 or any other cartridge razor.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
And you pay for this service?

I keep a short beard...pretty much just a 3 o'clock shadow. I got tired of shaving so I just trim it back once a week and then shave above and below. So since I rarely shave, I don't go through the razors like I used to. So basically now, I'm a man shaving with a boys razor :tongue:

Ginkasa
02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Any other OKCTalkers into the retro wet shaving, Double Edge Shaving and Straight Blade throwback shaving ala old school barbershops? I've been wanting to dive into DE and SE shaving for a couple years now, but finally went to Carwins Shave Shop in Classen Curve this weekend and took the plunge. Boy am I ever glad I finally made the switch, definitely won't be going back to the boys way of shaving with a Mach 3 or any other cartridge razor.

:rolleyes:

zookeeper
02-04-2013, 05:47 PM

I'm with you! It's not easy service to find these days though. Many and maybe most barber shops stopped doing it for insurance reasons. One nick, one infection and lawsuit! But I am with Metro, there's nothing quite like it and having it done before a big event like a speech or wedding gives you so much self confidence and makes you feel like a million bucks. Definitely not one of those things you can knock until you've tried it.

ThunderFan
02-05-2013, 04:50 AM
I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE for about a year now. Couldn't imagine going back to disposable razors. I've found feather blades are the best IMO. Also, my favorite cream is from Bath and Body works

SoonerDave
02-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Okay, guys, I'm considering myself in need of an education. These are basic razors where you can buy a box of DE blades for a fraction of the cartridges? I am so sick to death of paying for those stupid things, I'd be delighted to try something different. Old school is fine with me.

frontallobotomy
02-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I remember my dad having several DE razors in his bathroom drawer, wish I would have hung onto them. I cringe every time I have to get new cartridges and how much they cost. I might give DE a try. Here is a shaving forum, yes there is such a thing, I saw recommended.

Badger & Blade - Home (http://badgerandblade.com/)

Mr. Cotter
02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I switched about three years ago to DE. The Shave Shop (attached to Winter's Home) in Classen Curve has a good selection, and I buy my cream there. I buy Truefitt and Hill, but they have a few less expensive options too. It's nice OKC has anything, and I encourage you all to buy your wetshaving needs there.

This makes me think of a Toby Flenderson quote from The Office: "If we don't patronise the only Syrian restaurant in town, there'll be nothing left but pan pizzas and make-your-own salads."

metro
02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
And you pay for this service?

I keep a short beard...pretty much just a 3 o'clock shadow. I got tired of shaving so I just trim it back once a week and then shave above and below. So since I rarely shave, I don't go through the razors like I used to. So basically now, I'm a man shaving with a boys razor :tongue:

No, we're talking about shaving ourselves, although I have no problem paying them for an excellent shave for a special event. If you haven't tried it, you seriously don't know what you're missing.

I've been shaving with a Merkur DE for several years. Face and head. I enjoy playing with different razors and blades but I'm lately on a cream kick. Trying different creams to see what I like the most.

Also, FWIW, I've started to use coconut oil as a pre-shave routine. It's a tad messy but it helps on those days when I've gotten a little behind.

Yeah, I'm using a Merkur as well, bought from the Shave Shop. You can't go wrong with a Merkur. I've tried making my own pre-shave oil and done coconut oil and olive oil. Olive oil is way cheaper and works better than the expensive stuff for me.

I've been using an Edwin Jagger DE for about a year now. Couldn't imagine going back to disposable razors. I've found feather blades are the best IMO. Also, my favorite cream is from Bath and Body works Yeah, I've got some CO Bigelow from BBW, it's made by Proraso and is basically the exact same stuff, but for cheaper! $5 for a big tube, this is a must have in any man's stash.

Okay, guys, I'm considering myself in need of an education. These are basic razors where you can buy a box of DE blades for a fraction of the cartridges? I am so sick to death of paying for those stupid things, I'd be delighted to try something different. Old school is fine with me.

Yes, cheaper and a MUCH better shave, and less irritating. You can actually afford to change out blades regularly unlike cartridge razors (Mach 3, etc.)

I remember my dad having several DE razors in his bathroom drawer, wish I would have hung onto them. I cringe every time I have to get new cartridges and how much they cost. I might give DE a try. Here is a shaving forum, yes there is such a thing, I saw recommended.

Badger & Blade - Home (http://badgerandblade.com/) Too bad, those would have been sweet. Yep, I already post on B&B, it's got a HUGE worldwide following.

I switched about three years ago to DE. The Shave Shop (attached to Winter's Home) in Classen Curve has a good selection, and I buy my cream there. I buy Truefitt and Hill, but they have a few less expensive options too. It's nice OKC has anything, and I encourage you all to buy your wetshaving needs there.

This makes me think of a Toby Flenderson quote from The Office: "If we don't patronise the only Syrian restaurant in town, there'll be nothing left but pan pizzas and make-your-own salads."

Yep, as stated earlier, I went to Shave Shop this weekend, met Jim, the owner. Good stuff. I've been wanting to try Truefitt and Hill, especially their Grafton fragrance. What fragrances have you tried and how is the quality compared to other creams like Art of Shaving, etc?

Mr. Cotter
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Art of Shaving is really over priced. It's good, but not great. I use the Truefitt and Hill "Ulitimate Comfort" shaving cream, which is unscented (that's not to say it doesn't have a scent, there just isn't any fragrence used.) I try My second favorite isn't carried at Shave Shop, and that's Taylor of Old Bond Street's Avacado cream. I've probably tried a dozen or so different brands, and landed on Truefitt. It lathers really well and gives a lot of "cushion."

metro
02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I agree on AoS, it's a little too pricey, but it performs well and still gets high rankings with B&B posters. I've heard great things about TOBS Avocado scent. I want to try the Grafton and Trafalgar from T&H, and Barber Shop from TOBS.

Mr. Cotter
02-05-2013, 01:03 PM
TOBS Avocado is nice because it's not scended, it has avacado oil in it. That is one of my favorites, but I can't buy it locally.

frontallobotomy
02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
You can get it on Amazon.com

Mr. Cotter
02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I know, I'm just doing my part, $30 at a time, to keep nice things here.

metro
02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Anyone know of any other shops in the metro carrying shaving and barber supplies similar to Carwin's Shave Shop in Classen Curve?

AltusBorn
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
You might also want to check out the Dollar Shave Club (http://www.dollarshaveclub.com). It's a website that sells disposable razors through the mail at a fraction of the cost of brand name disposables. I've been using their '4X' blades for over a year now and love them. They're as good as the Gillette razors and at just $6 a month for 4 blades they're a huge bargin.

metro
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm familiar with DSC, they have hilarious commercials, but not the type of shaving I'm referring to, and I'm also looking for local shops. Thanks for the reco though.

AP
02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I've recently started using a shaving brush and soap but haven't gotten into switching from cartridges yet. I want to, I just don't know what would be a good DE razor to start off with. Any recommendations?

Midtowner
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I had a straight edge shave the other day at the Barber Shop in the Sandridge Amenities Building. It was a nice shave and it's a really nice and professional place. They recently relocated from the old barber shop in First National. The place was designed by an NYC architect and had more frills than I've experienced. Cost wasn't bad either.

Can I see myself geeking out about straight edge and switching from my "boy's shave"? Not really. My face is mostly bald, I swap razors in and out with ease, the cost isn't that bad if you buy from Sam's. I'm pretty sure my confidence isn't going to be affected one way or the other because of facial hair.

kelroy55
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I've recently started using a shaving brush and soap but haven't gotten into switching from cartridges yet. I want to, I just don't know what would be a good DE razor to start off with. Any recommendations?

I recently got the Edwin Jagger De89lbl and I'm happy with it. I may have got the one with the longer handle but oh well.

kyle
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Merkur makes a very nice DE razor. I've used nearly every model they make and can't complain about any of them. A common favorite is their Heavy Duty model. I can't remember for sure, but it seems like Carwin's had this model last time I went through.

metro
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I had a straight edge shave the other day at the Barber Shop in the Sandridge Amenities Building. It was a nice shave and it's a really nice and professional place. They recently relocated from the old barber shop in First National. The place was designed by an NYC architect and had more frills than I've experienced. Cost wasn't bad either.

Can I see myself geeking out about straight edge and switching from my "boy's shave"? Not really. My face is mostly bald, I swap razors in and out with ease, the cost isn't that bad if you buy from Sam's. I'm pretty sure my confidence isn't going to be affected one way or the other because of facial hair.

Try a DE razor, it's similar to cartridges, a more enjoyable and smoother shave, better for your skin (less irritation, etc.) and as easy to replace blades as a cartridge razor, and MUCH cheaper.

metro
02-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah Merkur's are excellent razors, that's the type of DE razor I bought from Carwin's Shave Shop. I recently bought a new one there as well. They have an international reputation for being the best due to their time-tested German engineering. Price isn't too bad either. Swing by Shave Shop and ask for Jim, tell him I sent ya.

okcboomer
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Great thread! For many years I've been using all the multi blade options and have recently got to thinking about switching. A few (dumb) questions.......

Is DE the same as "safety" razors?
Are brushes worth it? If so, what are some recommendations.
Will this type of shaving cut down on razor bumps and ingrown hairs?

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I've been shaving with a Merkur DE for several years. Face and head. I enjoy playing with different razors and blades but I'm lately on a cream kick. Trying different creams to see what I like the most.

Also, FWIW, I've started to use coconut oil as a pre-shave routine. It's a tad messy but it helps on those days when I've gotten a little behind.

I've been using Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream with a brush and like it.

kelroy55
02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Great thread! For many years I've been using all the multi blade options and have recently got to thinking about switching. A few (dumb) questions.......

DE just stands for Double Edge so yes.
I like the brush and shaving cream but also used Edge gel before with no problems.
Can't answer the last question.

okcboomer
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Kelroy. I'll need to go visit classen curve soon. Went to a site mentioned on this thread and holy cow, can't believe there's so much I didn't know about shaving!

OKCRT
02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks Kelroy. I'll need to go visit classen curve soon. Went to a site mentioned on this thread and holy cow, can't believe there's so much I didn't know about shaving!

Gillette-"The best a man can get" Just ask them.

That's what I use and they work fine but I don't have a thick beard either.

Gillette disposables and Edge shave gel.

kelroy55
02-27-2013, 07:11 AM

I used those for many years

metro
02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

No, DE is Dougle Edge. Brushes are worth it, but start with an inexpensive boar or badger and see what you like, get some feedback since as they say YMMV (your mileage may very). Your skin type, water hardness/softness, products you use will all give you a custom shave.

As far as cutting down on razor bumps and ingrowns, absolutely. Mine has been night and day difference. Stop by Carwin's in Classen Curve and tell him I sent ya, ask for Jim.

metro
02-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from the best shave. Unless you're using a DE with Gilette 7 o clock blades. Once you try DE shaving with quality blades and creams, you'll never go back to anything else.

kevinpate
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Grow a beard. Problem solved. The rest of the face and neck can be easily trimmed with shears and and just about any inexpensive product. When shaving becomes a near art form, it might be time to evaluate anew what's what in life. Just a furry face opinion. Use, modify or discard as you elect.

Matt
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Still no idea what "DE and SB shaving" means.

Matt
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Just Google DE and SB shaving

I just did. The first result was this thread. I'm in a endless loop of confusion.

AP
02-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Grow a beard. Problem solved. The rest of the face and neck can be easily trimmed with shears and and just about any inexpensive product. When shaving becomes a near art form, it might be time to evaluate anew what's what in life. Just a furry face opinion. Use, modify or discard as you elect.

Growing a beard isn't really an option for me right now, though I wish I could. So, I can't take your approach. I don't think this thread is about shaving becoming an art form as much as it is about using quality products to create a better shave. As in, one that can actually be enjoyable as opposed to being painful.

metro
02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Growing a beard isn't really an option for me right now, though I wish I could. So, I can't take your approach. I don't think this thread is about shaving becoming an art form as much as it is about using quality products to create a better shave. As in, one that can actually be enjoyable as opposed to being painful.

this

metro
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Still no idea what "DE and SB shaving" means.

Double Edge (two sided razor), SE straight edge (knife style razor) or it can also mean single edge razor, similar to your cartridge (Mach3) style razor, only one razor blade, a real razor blade. Google pics or go to Badger and Blade Forum or go to Shave Shop in Classen Curve to see in person. Basically it all boils down to a MUCH more enjoyable shave, and better skin.

okcboomer
02-28-2013, 05:52 AM
No, DE is Dougle Edge. Brushes are worth it, but start with an inexpensive boar or badger and see what you like, get some feedback since as they say YMMV (your mileage may very). Your skin type, water hardness/softness, products you use will all give you a custom shave.

As far as cutting down on razor bumps and ingrowns, absolutely. Mine has been night and day difference. Stop by Carwin's in Classen Curve and tell him I sent ya, ask for Jim.

Great info, thanks!

okcboomer
02-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Exactly

okcboomer
03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
I took the plunge and have done to DE shaving. My face is loving it! Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I too highly recommend Carwin's!

The one thing I didn't ask about is after shave balms. Curious what you all use.

flintysooner
03-06-2013, 08:52 AM
The one thing I didn't ask about is after shave balms. Curious what you all use.
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Gel

Mel
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I've started visiting Carwin's at Classen Circle. I got a DE Merkur and Feather blades. Took a while for the muscle memory to kick in. I found a wee Merkur razor just for getting a close shave around nose and lip areas. I really like this shop.

flintysooner
04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
I have a Futur but the Feather blades are too sharp for me. I've had better luck with Astras, Sharks, and Bics.

Lately I've been using an old Schick E Injector that I think is actually giving me best results.

I ordered a Cobra Classic though and am eager to try it. I thought about going to a straight but decided the Cobra Classic was about as close to straight as I should try.

I've settled on a Badger brush with Proraso soap. I've decided I prefer shaving at night and using Witch Hazel and Nivea right after with Old Taylor balm in the morning.

Wish I'd never switched to the cartridges.

Midtowner
04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
I have the very occasional shave at The Barber Salon at 324 N. Robinson, but generally only when I get a haircut. This is the outfit which used to operate out of the barber shop up on the (I think 14th or 15th floor) of the FNB building.

Aside from that, my Mach III triple vibrating blade thingy and whatever shaving cream I have get the job done just fine.

flintysooner
04-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I've been shaving more than 50 years. I did have a beard for a decade and a half or more but still shaved. And I was using the latest greatest cartridge. But I started having more and more skin problems on my face and just dreaded shaving. Going back to wet shaving - which is where I started - has definitely improved the skin and I look forward to shaving now.

Maybe it is the art of shaving, or maybe it is the appreciation of the craftsmanship of the old handles, or the fascinating ingenuity of King Gillette or Col Schick, or a certain kind of nostalgia, or maybe even other reasons but I've surely enjoyed returning to wet shaving.

kelroy55
04-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I use a DE Merkur and Feather blades and learned last week it's not a good idea to use those when you have a hangover. Almost needed the Red Cross.

flintysooner
04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
I use a DE Merkur and Feather blades and learned last week it's not a good idea to use those when you have a hangover. Almost needed the Red Cross.
I really do understand. Those blades are really sharp. Have to admire Feather.

On the Futur I have shaved at 4 with Astra blades but with the Feather blades it is just too aggressive even at 1 for my current proficiency.

okcboomer
04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
So thankful I made the switch to DE. I was using those 4 to 5 blade razors and it was killing my face. (Razor burns, cuts, irritation, ingrown hairs). After shaving with DE, I've had none of it. And when I say none, I mean NONE. It was like night and day difference. I suggest to anyone who is having those types of problems to try DE shaving. I couldn't be happier about it!

flintysooner
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Received my Cobra Classic the other day and shaved with it using the Feather Professional. I was a little intimidated by the width of the Cobra and the reputation of the Feather Pro. However, once I got past the initial nervousness I really enjoyed an excellent shave. I did my normal 3 pass and was BBS in about 1/2 the time. The width and sharpness make this thing exceedingly efficient. I think I could have stopped at the 2nd pass and been pretty happy.

Not sure if I will use any of my other razors now - at least for a while.

I did buy a Gillette Aristocrat from about my birth year and I also bought a nice example of an adjustable Slim from 1962. But I think I am just going to own them and not shave with them. The engineering and craftsmanship is so nice with these examples.