View Full Version : Wholly Guacamole

Lauri101
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Just opened in Midwest City on 2/1 at Douglas and SE 29th. Anyone eaten there yet?

One of my co-workers went there yesterday and said it was "da bomb" - pretty sure he meant in a good way.:wink:

The menu looks really good!

Here is the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wholly-Guacamole-Kitchen/518739834823589?ref=stream

venture
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Why does this just scream trademark infringement. Hope they have a good lawyer. LOL

Easy180
02-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Why does this just scream trademark infringement. Hope they have a good lawyer. LOL

Was thinking the same thing...Maybe their strategy is to be out of business before the big brother finds out

Lauri101
02-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I give up - why? There appear to be a chain of these across U.S.

Dustin
02-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I give up - why? There appear to be a chain of these across U.S.

http://elaneymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/all_wholly_guacamole_products.jpg

Wholly Guacamole - America?s #1 Guacamole | Best Guacamole Dip | Avocado Dip | Easy Guacamole (http://eatwholly.com)

Lauri101
02-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Mexican Restaurant, Mexican Cuisine, Arroz con Pollo. Greensboro, NC (http://www.wholly-guacamole.com/)

The logos aren't identical, but I would think a trademark case would have happened by now. Whitsett, NC restaurant has been open a couple of years.

There does not appear to be a connection between the two companies - this could get interesting!

BBatesokc
02-04-2013, 04:35 AM
My understanding is it doesn't just come down to identical names alone. Depends how the names were originally protected (classified for TM) and if you can show the average person would confuse the two companies as being one-in-the-same. Personally, I wouldn't risk it - pretty expensive thing to undo.

In my work I've protected several terms, including 'Video Vigilante' - However, there is another company called Video Vigilante that has a series of books and some marketing materials. I had the name first, but my TM doesn't keep them from doing their unrelated business under that name. However, several media/production companies do pay me so they can license and use the term Video Vigilante for their use in television shows and such that could be confused with what I do.

This new restaurant is in my neck of the woods, I'll have to check it out soon.

metro
02-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Was thinking the same thing...Maybe their strategy is to be out of business before the big brother finds out

I was thinking the same thing, bad naming choice, trademark infringement lawsuit and name change to come soon?

John1744
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
It appears to be owned by the same family that owns El Nino's in Harrah and Queso's in Choctaw, curious if it has a similar menu to those two restaurants and I think that they are completely adequate mexican food places.

Lauri101
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Comments on their Facebook page indicate that people are really enjoying the food! I'm going to try and go by there this weekend and check it out.

okiegirl424
02-23-2013, 07:31 AM
well it's actually called Wholly Guacamole KITCHEN...just wanted you to get your info right

okiegirl424
02-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Why don't you try eating there before you decide they should close solely based on their name. It's not part of any chain and the named would't have been legally APPROVED if they were infringing on a trademark. It's a small family restaurant just trying to do what they love. There's no bitter family rivals going on and it's ridiculous to jump to conclusions when you don't have all the facts. Go try WHOLLY GUACAMOLE KITCHEN you won't be disappointed!!!

venture
02-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Why don't you try eating there before you decide they should close solely based on their name. It's not part of any chain and the named would't have been legally APPROVED if they were infringing on a trademark. It's a small family restaurant just trying to do what they love. There's no bitter family rivals going on and it's ridiculous to jump to conclusions when you don't have all the facts. Go try WHOLLY GUACAMOLE KITCHEN you won't be disappointed!!!

WTF are you going on about? This pretty much just screams to be coming from someone connected to the business itself. No one is talking the business down, but just highlighting there is an obviously trademark issue when using the name. Putting "Kitchen" doesn't necessarily save them. They should have shown better judgement to avoid any similar names especially when they are dealing in roughly the same market - food.

Roger S
02-24-2013, 07:16 AM

You might want to take a look at the Blu's BBQ & Burgers thread before you come in here and get to aggresive with the locals.

I don't know your relationship with Wholly Guacamole Kitchen but I would be cautious about getting overenthusiastic defending them on any public forum.

I'm all about mom and pop places making it in the OKC area and we all know that Midwest City needs some good restaurants but a lot of us shy away when a family member or a friend of the family begins creating drama on the internet.

I also wondered about the possibile legal ramifications of the name. Especially knowing the history of how Del Taco in Del City had to change their name due to another companies trademark.

bandnerd
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
WTF are you going on about? This pretty much just screams to be coming from someone connected to the business itself. No one is talking the business down, but just highlighting there is an obviously trademark issue when using the name. Putting "Kitchen" doesn't necessarily save them. They should have shown better judgement to avoid any similar names especially when they are dealing in roughly the same market - food.

Yeah, the fact that she has all of two posts on OKCTalk, and both are in this thread, leads me to believe she's affiliated. Which is fine, but she needs to take a page from Tuck's approach to social media.

Lauri101
02-24-2013, 03:21 PM

If anything, her little rant would be enough to keep me from going to the place. I want some good Mexican food, hold the drama please.

I am still planning on giving them a try, simply because friends are telling me it's good stuff. Okiegirl424 - welcome to the board - pitch in and have a look around!

Stew
02-24-2013, 03:47 PM
If anything, her little rant would be enough to keep me from going to the place. I want some good Mexican food, hold the drama please.

I am still planning on giving them a try, simply because friends are telling me it's good stuff. Okiegirl424 - welcome to the board - pitch in and have a look around!

I tried it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I got the loco pollo which was a bit too cheesy for my taste but was original and fresh enough to spark my interest for a return trip. The service was outstanding. Oh yeah their guacamole is big league and quite different than most. It's very chunky and delicious. Shoot I'd go for the guac alone.

Right now their menu is somewhat limited but I was told they will be expanding it as they build their business. They plan on adding Peruvian chicken which is a fave of mine that I fell in love with in the DC area. I hope they score with that.

I'd recommend giving the place a try.

RadicalModerate
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
In order to avoid confusion, and/or charges of misrepresentation regarding what they actually have available and serve at this fine establishment, perhaps they might consider changing their name to "Holy Guacamole (!y otra comeda también!) Kitchen"? Why, this might even allow for tax exempt status!

!and bring in those notoriously bad tippers known as "the church crowd" on sundays!

Wholly Guacamole, Batman!!!: Guac in a Box!!!
(for the sake of Punctuational Correctness . . . what is the Alt. Key Code for the upside down ! . . . ?)
(would an upside down ! technically be the symbol for ennui?)

Is this restaurant where Lupe's used to be half a lifetime ago?
I would seriously like to give it a try.
(welcome aboard, okiegirl424! ?or should that be bienvenidos? =)

Corndog1
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Any truth to this being attached to quesos or el niño in harrah. Quesos has really gone down hill lately lots of new faces and th manager that opened it isn't there any longer. Wonder if he is at this new joint. According to th website for them it doesnt show this place as being one of theres.

BrettM2
02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Any truth to this being attached to quesos or el niño in harrah. Quesos has really gone down hill lately lots of new faces and th manager that opened it isn't there any longer. Wonder if he is at this new joint. According to th website for them it doesnt show this place as being one of theres.

Not sure if there is a connection but a coworker said it was someone from Choctaw who owns the building. Don't know any more than that.

JamesFiend
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM

I'm pretty sure after whatever 'build your own burrito' place it was, it briefly turned into a Calico Joe's, the place right next door to El Nino in Harrah. I always wondered if it was part of the same establishment but based on the food I've had from Calico Joes/El Nino in Harrah, I wasn't really interested in finding out.

UncleCyrus
02-26-2013, 02:43 AM
(for the sake of Punctuational Correctness . . . what is the Alt. Key Code for the upside down ! . . . ?)
(would an upside down ! technically be the symbol for ennui?)

¡ = 173

Roger S
02-26-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm pretty sure after whatever 'build your own burrito' place it was,

I believe it was called Taco Del Mar and they offerered the Mondo Burrito

This building also appears to be Midwest City's restaurant black hole. Much like the building in Norman that was most recently Cajun King and the building on NW 39th which is currently an Italian restaurant. Nothing seems to be able to last there long.

I wish the new owners the best on their endeavor here and hopefully they can keep family/friends under control on the internet and win over their customers by just putting out great food, along with great service, and remember that you can't make everyone happy and it's best not to confront those that you can't make happy in a public forum.

okcboomer
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Went there a few days ago....... Not impressed. Food was ok, staff seemed way over the top to the point it was annoying. I'd go back if a group was going but would not be a choice of mine.

John1744
02-26-2013, 09:14 PM

I live in Harrah and Calico Joes / El Nino's website has a section for Wholly that hasn't really been updated. And you have to know the URL to get to it, there is no link to it from the main site, so it looks like maybe they are trying to keep the relationship quiet for now?

Wholly (http://www.calnino.com/wholly.html)

Calico Joe's | El Nino's | Queso's (http://www.calnino.com)

WilliamTell
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
We had a To-go order of 2 menu items from this place last night and my wife came home with 6 bags of food! It was excellent and I would highly recommend it to everyone. Excellent salsa, cheese sauce, mexican potatoes, beans and entrees and my wife and I still have a whole other meal for our lunches today. She had chicken fajitas and I had a beef burrito that had chili on one side a Queso on the other. I was surprised because I was expecting ground beef but it was tender steak instead. By far the best Tex mex place on the east side of town.

amandagall5
05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I just had lunch here today and thought it was good. I had the chicken quesadilla lunch with rice and corn. My friend had the chicken fajitas which she said were good too. The food was not greasy at all and she said the salsa was the best she's had recently. Give them a try!

WilliamTell
05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I drive by that location atleast every couple of days and they look like they are building a pretty good business. Even outside of lunch and dinner there has always been a few cars in the parking lot. We've had it 3 times now and so far its been extremely consistent each time. They will even give you sopapias (SP) to go if you ask for them.

Head
12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I went there yesterday for the first time. Loved it! The young man that waited on me, filled me in on the fact that his family is Peruvian, and have restaurants in Choctaw and Harrah, as well (o, tambien).
Had the fish tacos, and was able to TASTE the fish. Everything was very fresh, the place was clean and bright, the staff were friendly. I'm gonna go back and try the ceviche. Apparently, it's prepared a little differently than the Mexican variety. A pretty pleasant surprise, since I thought it was a fast food place, and was just going to grab a burrito er sumpn while out shopping.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
This is good to know. I drive by it all the time and never have bothered to stop.

Not sure about it though...That joing in Harrah. Yeesh. They're terrible. Tried it 3 times and won't be back.

Dubya61
12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
This is good to know. I drive by it all the time and never have bothered to stop.

Not sure about it though...That joing in Harrah. Yeesh. They're terrible. Tried it 3 times and won't be back.

Right there with ya. Their other two restaurants in Harrah are non-starters for us.