View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ZYX2
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Very heavy sleet in Bixby right now. Just started.

venture
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Pretty good plume of moisture coming up into the Metro area. Moving NW it stretches from Duncan up to Pauls Valley/Purcell up to Shawnee. Seems to be a lot of mixed precip in it but if we continue to see a change over occur this could result in some very heavy snow.

ZYX2
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Sleet has now stopped but was heavy enough for about 5 minutes to accumulate lightly. I assume it will melt quickly.

sacolton
02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I want my snow day! No work! Bring it on!

venture
02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Side note. I think this thread was at 14K views as of yesterday, and we'll break 30K here soon. May have to split March off after all. LOL

adaniel
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I want my snow day! No work! Bring it on!

Unfortunately some of us will still be required to work remotely. Damn you technology!

At least if I don't come in tomorrow I won't have to put up with one of my twerp coworkers who is driving me up the wall!

venture
02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Matt Mahler ‏@themahler (https://twitter.com/themahler)
Report from Seiling of a bank roof caving in. 12-15" in northwestern Oklahoma with drifts from 3 to 5 feet. And it's still snowing. #okwx (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23okwx&src=hash)

zookeeper
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately some of us will still be required to work remotely. Damn you technology!

At least if I don't come in tomorrow I won't have to put up with one of my twerp coworkers who is driving me up the wall!

Unless there's a loss of electricity. OG&E never holds up just real well to ice & snow as there's too many overhead lines. Sorry to bring up that awful possibility!

OKCTalker
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
The radar I'm watching depicts OKC in the tight, dry center of a low, with a rain cell coming in from Shawnee. The N-S freezing line is close, and moving in quickly from the west. They appear to be headed for a convergence over OKC, meaning a heavy dump of ice/freezing rain/snow arounnd 6:00 p.m. Is this a fairly accurate picture of what everyone else is seeing?

stratosphere
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
got stuff to make chili and some booze, let it snow X 3

Anonymous.
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
The dry pocket over OKC has got to be a joke... The precip. surrounding EVERY SIDE of OKC is actually having trouble filling in... This will definitely lower accumulations as this is the precip. we are missing to knock the temperatures down to freezing and below.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
got stuff to make chili and some booze, let it snow X 3

Same here - and stuff for stew, too.

adaniel
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Just something I noticed, since I have pretty much given up on working today, and most of my office has left for the day anyway....

Looking on Google Maps traffic mode, you can tell where the heaviest snow is falling. There are no traffic readings in areas with snow since everyone with common sense has gotten off the highway.

This morning there were little to no traffic readings west of the OK state line; by noon that had shifted to Clinton; now it looks like anywhere west of Weatherford is reporting no or sporadic traffic readings.

It will be something to watch as the main band of snow begins moving into OKC.

zookeeper
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Remember to charge up all electronic devices in case the power lines don't hold up to ice or the heaviness of large snowfall. Charge up laptops, phones, kindles, all that stuff so you can maybe communicate by cell, and at least entertain yourself with movies with fully charged laptops.

silvergrove
The dry pocket over OKC has got to be a joke... The precip. surrounding EVERY SIDE of OKC is actually having trouble filling in... This will definitely lower accumulations as this is the precip. we are missing to knock the temperatures down to freezing and below.

Lol still think it's a coincidence?

OKCRT
This dry pocket around the metro is being stubborn.

Andrew4OU
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Noooo, Anonymous! You've been the voice of hope for me! Please tell me we'll get decent accumulations!

SomeGuy
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Noooo, Anonymous! You've been the voice of hope for me! Please tell me we'll get decent accumulations!

I'm pretty sure we will Channel 5 and 9 has said we would around the 6 o clock hour

venture
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
The radar I'm watching depicts OKC in the tight, dry center of a low, with a rain cell coming in from Shawnee. The N-S freezing line is close, and moving in quickly from the west. They appear to be headed for a convergence over OKC, meaning a heavy dump of ice/freezing rain/snow arounnd 6:00 p.m. Is this a fairly accurate picture of what everyone else is seeing?

The low center is actually in Southern OK, that is just a pocket of dry air mixed in there.

There is still a lot of moisture making a run at it to try to break it down, so we'll see what happens. The main snow band out west looks find still. A little less intensity to it, but not quickly falling apart. The strong precipband from El Reno to Duncan is firming back up after cycling down some.

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure we will Channel 5 and 9 has said we would around the 6 o clock hour

KFOR's Mike Morgan is doubling down on his earlier Metro forecast. He is adamant there WILL NOT be a Winter Storm in the Metro even after dark, seems confident the temps are too warm and will not drop enough, and now says wet or slushy roads at the worst for the morning drive tomorrow in OKC Metro.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
5:01 - light sleet in SW OKC. Still waiting on the wind. Still 33 degrees but seems to be dropping.

chrisok
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
The force field around OKC strikes again!

Mississippi Blues
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
KFOR's Mike Morgan is doubling down on his earlier Metro forecast. He is adamant there WILL NOT be a Winter Storm in the Metro even after dark, seems confident the temps are too warm and will not drop enough, and now says wet or slushy roads at the worst for the morning drive tomorrow in OKC Metro.

I'm wondering if he's the voice of reason or the voice of crazy... I can't tell.

venture
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
5:01 - light sleet in SW OKC. Still waiting on the wind. Still 33 degrees but seems to be dropping.

Wind won't really start kicking in for us until the Low moves past I-35. Once that happens we'll start getting winds howling from the North.

SomeGuy
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM

He's the only one who has been saying it so I highly doubt it where as England said by 10 the temps will be at freezing and still snowing until around 6 am

Uncle Slayton
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM

I guess he's going the anti-hype route, but telling people the roads won't be bad is edging into irresponsibility.

Although the only thing the four salt/sand trucks I saw between downtown and Norman were plowing through were fuel and overtime.

WilliamTell
Will you guys seriously drop it. News 9 has been on this since 4am with doom and gloom for the metro and 13 hours later we havent had any snow at all in OKC.

We arent getting any snow in the metro.

Stop being wasting your time and move on.

venture
OKLAHOMA CITY, February 25, 2013 – Will Rogers World Airport is open with most flights operating on schedule or with minimal delays.
As of 5pm, the airport anticipates the rest of the day’s departures will operate as scheduled.
Some arrivals later this evening will be impacted. Delta Air Lines has cancelled their last four arriving flights tonight. Earlier in the day, American Airlines cancelled all afternoon and evening flights. As a result of these cancellations, three Delta and five American flights will also be cancelled Tuesday morning. A total of 23 flights have been cancelled from 1PM today through 10:40am tomorrow morning.
As this weather system continues to move through the metro area, there may be additional impact. The airport urges anyone traveling to or from WRWA today or tomorrow to check flight status prior to coming to the airport.
Airport maintenance crews are ready to clear runways and taxiways and make every effort to keep the airport operational. Additional airport and parking staff stand ready to clear sidewalks, roads in front of the terminal, and parking lanes.

PennyQuilts
Wind won't really start kicking in for us until the Low moves past I-35. Once that happens we'll start getting winds howling from the North.
Ahhh. Well then.

At 5:13, sleet had turned to snow - temperature still dropping - now at 32.

OKCRT
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
He's the only one who has been saying it so I highly doubt it where as England said by 10 the temps will be at freezing and still snowing until around 6 am

Temp in NW OKC is at 35 now so it has been slowly dropping but still sitting in a dry zone. The blob seems to be closing in so it appears that it's just a matter of time before the metro dry zone is knocked out.

Light mix now starting in NW(lake Hefner area) OKC. 5:15

Feed the beast!

venture
02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Will you guys seriously drop it. News 9 has been on this since 4am and we havent seen anything in OKC.

We arent getting any snow in the metro.

The metro is bigger than just Oklahoma City proper. :)

WilliamTell
02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY, February 25, 2013 – Will Rogers World Airport is open with most flights operating on schedule or with minimal delays.

Thats what really gets me about these two bit hack meteorologist who cant predict snow worth a sh*t. Thunderstorms and tornadoes i trust them with but all the local guys have proven time and time again that they dont understand snow.

You had flights cancelled this morning because these hacks were telling everyone to prepare by the minute for snow. 13 hours later nothing besides millions of dollars in lost revenue and headaches for travelers.

As of now the 2nd biggest snow that we've had this season caught them off guard a few weeks ago (i think it was friday night). You had people calling in to literally tell the weathermen that it was snowing.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Venture, where is the low, now?

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm wondering if he's the voice of reason or the voice of crazy... I can't tell.

Not sure, but he's going to end up being one or the other by the time it's all over with. He seems awful confident. I would say even borderline smug...as if he knows in advance that the other guys are going to be wrong.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
The dry slot over the city looks, to me, like she is getting an hourglass figure.

OKCMallen
Pretty big bust at this point. Hard to believe this is the same storm that blizzarded and buried Amarillo.

OKCTalker
Not that we're on the back side of this thing, but I'm glad we got some liquid precip out of it.

venture
02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Thats what really gets me about these two bit hack meteorologist who cant predict snow worth a sh*t. Thunderstorms and tornadoes i trust them with but all the local guys have proven time and time again that they dont understand snow.

You had flights cancelled this morning because these hacks were telling everyone to prepare by the minute for snow. 13 hours later nothing besides millions of dollars in lost revenue and headaches for travelers.

As of now the 2nd biggest snow that we've had this season caught them off guard a few weeks ago (i think it was friday night). You had people calling in to literally tell the weathermen that it was snowing.

Well with all do respect...know what you are talking about before you make yourself look like an ass. Airlines employee their own meteorologists that handle forecasting with the airline. They also work some with the NWS and independent weather companies. So I'm not really sure which "two bit hack"s you are attacking, but you have a very wide group responsible. Sure some of the flights today were cancelled that didn't need to be, but they last thing they want is an aircraft stuck in OKC interrupting operations downline. Millions of dollars were not lost by the airlines here today, but I'm guessing you are talking about other companies all together.

It is what it is. By most accounts we are running a bit behind in the change over. I could point out that about 20 miles west of the airport itself, there is heavy snow falling and near 40 mph winds...but considering the attitude we are dealing with... //rollingeyes

venture
02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Pretty big bust at this point. Hard to believe this is the same storm that blizzarded and buried Amarillo.

Not really. Strong storms like this always have multiple modes to them. I would be shocked if there was a band of severe storms on one side and heavy snow on the other. Bust depends on how you look at it. I personally expected change over by now, but not really shocked.

venture
02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/fxc/oun/graphicast/image4.jpg

Uncle Slayton
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
While Tell's message was poorly 'told' and his font set to 'douche', I share some of his frustration. I have said this before, I work in the science field where we are held to exacting standards for performance, on the order of a few hundredths of a part per billion, often times. If we miss, we lose certification.

I realize it's apples and oranges with meteorology, but astrology sometimes seems more accurate at predicting things, and there seems to be absolutely no accountability beyond "whoops, we muffed that, sorry, folks, it's not an exact science."

That does wear a little thin at times, given the reams of corrective actions I have to write if one of my scientists blows a PT test, let alone the gratuitous Lumberghian ass-chewings.

I guess, as Billy Bob Thornton said in one of those asteroid movies: "with all due respect, Mr. President, that's one big-ass sky."

WilliamTell
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Well with all do respect...know what you are talking about before you make yourself look like an ass. Airlines employee their own meteorologists that handle forecasting with the airline. They also work some with the NWS and independent weather companies. So I'm not really sure which "two bit hack"s you are attacking, but you have a very wide group responsible. Sure some of the flights today were cancelled that didn't need to be, but they last thing they want is an aircraft stuck in OKC interrupting operations downline. Millions of dollars were not lost by the airlines here today, but I'm guessing you are talking about other companies all together.

It is what it is. By most accounts we are running a bit behind in the change over. I could point out that about 20 miles west of the airport itself, there is heavy snow falling and near 40 mph winds...but considering the attitude we are dealing with... //rollingeyes

I work on the west side of the airport, in operations. I know a little a bit about airlines and how the industry works.

Edit - for the sake of discussion. I agree with you guys and im secretly hoping to jinx this thread and OKC's luck and bring us snow. I know I want tomorrow off work just like everyone else does. It just seems like we have alarmist weathermen who start weeks out and then at the last minute it all falls through.

So almost 14 hours of solid coverage for snow that hasnt hit the city. Its just crazy.

venture
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Venture, where is the low, now?

HPC is now putting it over Johnston County just past 35 now. So things should start speeding up on the change over.

Mississippi Blues
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Mixture of sleet & snow starting to fall in the 122nd & N. May area.

silvergrove
02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
20 miles over and we would all be applauding the weather models. That's a razor thin difference. Better safe than sorry I presume?

venture
02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
While Tell's message was poorly 'told' and his font set to 'douche', I share some of his frustration. I have said this before, I work in the science field where we are held to exacting standards for performance, on the order of a few hundredths of a part per billion, often times. If we miss, we lose certification.

I realize it's apples and oranges with meteorology, but astrology sometimes seems more accurate at predicting things, and there seems to be absolutely no accountability beyond "whoops, we muffed that, sorry, folks, it's not an exact science."

That does wear a little thin at times.

While I appreciate the frustration, perhaps we let this play out completely before starting the all out bitch fest? We can look back and discuss then why things went a certain way and such. At this point we are just getting off track when things are still progression through the metro area.

I work on the west side of the airport, in operations. I know a little a bit about airlines and how the industry works.

Then perhaps a little better thought will be put into your next statement about it. Again, this is off track but we can debate it after the storm passes tomorrow.

GoOKC1991
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
RickMitchellWX For my OKC friends, the snow is coming. You will see significant snow & wind. Don't be fooled. #okwx

zookeeper
02-25-2013, 04:38 PM
20 miles over and we would all be applauding the weather models. That's a razor thin difference. Better safe than sorry I presume?

This is the truth and I've noticed Tell is always a very angry poster. Some expect block by block forecasts. A very few miles separate heavy snow and winds and OKC proper.

Mississippi Blues
While I appreciate the frustration, perhaps we let this play out completely before starting the all out bitch fest? We can look back and discuss then why things went a certain way and such. At this point we are just getting off track when things are still progression through the metro area.

Then perhaps a little better thought will be put into your next statement about it. Again, this is off track but we can debate it after the storm passes tomorrow.

*double like*

venture

Can't please everyone. Some don't understand models have an inherent margin of error with the forecasts and they are not going to be pin point accurate.

So back to what is going on now. Wrap around Central OK is starting to take a more southerly direction showing the low has pushed off to the east now. Many more reports of snow along and west of I-35 now.

Uncle Slayton
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Probably best. At any rate, we got a lot of nice slow soaking rain and I (thus far) have got a free four hours off tomorrow morning, with hopes that it goes to the full ten by the time the last flake flies.

Mississippi Blues
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
It's actually funny to watch. I'm watching it out my window & sleet is falling towards the east & snow is falling towards the west.

Achilleslastand
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Regardless of how much snow we get in the metro we should be thankful for the nice precip weve got so far ....especially during the drought.

OKCRT
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Snow getting heavier and flakes getting bigger. All we need now is for the temp to drop a few more degrees to get some accumulation. At these temps Mike Morgan may have it correct about the slushy roads in the morn. Nice big flakes coming down in NW OKC now,I would say light to moderate and gaining steam.

Mississippi Blues
02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
I for one have appreciated the precipitation. It's been a drizzle to heavier rain for most of the day & I love it! On top of that, it appears this storm is really starting to ramp up here in the city.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
5:42 - Our snow is turning into real snow - coming in fast and still small from the north but the flakes are growing. It isn't accumulating, yet. Our barometric pressure inched slightly higher. Does that mean anything related to the current system or is it just something that happens, sometimes? 32 degrees.

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Increased reports are now coming in of snow starting to fall in several parts of the Metro proper.

venture
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
The remaining dry spot over Central OK is filling is very fast right now. Western edge of the snow shield out west has come down a bit more, but seeing more precip develop out east wrapping back in. So we'll just have to see how this all plays out. If the low moves a bit faster the snow will taper off faster out west.

Mississippi Blues
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm just curious if the ground will get cold enough for any accumulation. I imagine it would, but you never know.

SomeGuy
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I live on the far west side of OKC and when I just looked out the window I saw Snow! not rain mixed with snow or sleet but Snow :D