View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

NoOkie
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
mPING and Twitter reports saying precip in Northern canadian county appears to be moving to all snow now. For the Central part of the Metro area still looks like rain/sleet for awhile.

It doesn't even appear to be raining anymore, where I sit. Might be drizzling, though.

venture
02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Precip is on the increase per Abilene radar, this will help cut off much of the drier air being spun directly into the center over Wichita Falls.

I am thinking SW and SC OK will start filling in with precip. as we head into this afternoon. The storm is moving so slowly that the dry air does not have such an advantage as it would if the system were racing off to the NE.

Yeah. Even right now on FDR seeing more little areas of precip trying to fill in. So there is hope. Also think the more sleet showers we see pop up around here the faster we can get this change over moving as the air cools.

kelroy55
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
It doesn't even appear to be raining anymore, where I sit. Might be drizzling, though.

same here near 50th and May

venture
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Depends where you are. Remember when I refer to the Metro area...I'm talking the actual Metro area not just OKC. So essentially all 7 counties. :)

Decious
02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Precip is on the increase per Abilene radar, this will help cut off much of the drier air being spun directly into the center over Wichita Falls.

I am thinking SW and SC OK will start filling in with precip. as we head into this afternoon. The storm is moving so slowly that the dry air does not have such an advantage as it would if the system were racing off to the NE.

Agreed. The system is kinda stacked and with the amount of lift we have... hopefully the dry air can be overcome. When the hefty band was putting down 2-3 inch per hour rates over the TX panhandle the water vapor image wasn't very impressive looking. System is starting to get good exhaust now so hopefully it'll spit the desert air out. Very dynamic system. I'm only 30 but this is the most fun I've had watching a storm since the Christmas Eve Blizzard. After all... there really are no "changes". It's gonna do what it was gonna do ya know. But it's fascinating to watch and prepare for/react to.

venture
02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Another random thought. Line of severe storms now going from south of Ft. Smith, AR down into NE TX. A lot of times with this strong winter storms we'll see this happen, but in this case they are pretty far removed and out ahead of the main storm. So this should help limit any moisture getting cut off which can happen a lot.

A good pocket of what looks like sleet will be moving through SW OK county near the airport here shortly.

venture
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
ODOT ‏@OKDOT (https://twitter.com/OKDOT)
WNTR TTRAVEL - I-40 heading west into the Texas Panhandle is closed and experiencing large snow drifts. Travel is strongly discouraged.

ou48A
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Mike Morgan CH 4 reports up to 3 inches per hour snow rates.

ou48A
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
ODOT ‏@OKDOT (https://twitter.com/OKDOT)
WNTR TTRAVEL - I-40 heading west into the Texas Panhandle is closed and experiencing large snow drifts. Travel is strongly discouraged.

The TV people are reporting 14” of snow on the ground in Amarillo with 6 foot drifts being common….with several hours more snow left.
The Texas panhandle is for all practical proposes is shut down… The drifting will become much worse.

RadicalModerate
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
(speaking of random thought c. Post #668) . . .

OK . . . near the end of February (winter) . . . sorta cold . . . (12:25pm CST) . . . (winter) . . . What is Winter going to DO?
Is it snow, rain, ice or whut? Can you imagine what folks did or didn't do in the past? (Farmer's Almanac, that's what. =)

Venture: Thank You for being The Best Weatherman Ever. (no kidding. no joke.)
(you make the Purveyors o' MindlessPanic on TV appear just as they are =)

Again: Thanks.
(yet . . . what can we DO about The Weather Dichotomy?--talking [act] doing (something), about it =)
('course where i was raised up we had chinook winds instead of tornados and it was a lot colder with more snow)

OKCRT
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
OK . . . near the end of February (winter) . . . sorta cold . . . (12:25pm CST) . . . (winter) . . . What is Winter going to DO?
Is it snow, rain, ice or whut? Can you imagine what folks did or didn't do in the past? (Farmer's Almanac, that's what.)

Venture: Thank You for being The Best Weatherman Ever. (no kidding. no joke.)
(you make the Purveyors o' MindlessPanic on TV appear just as they are =)

Again: Thanks.
(yet . . . what can we DO about The Weather Dichotomy?--talking [act] doing (something), about it =)
('course where i was raised up we had chinook winds instead of tornados and it was a lot colder with more snow)

That's no joke. I find myself coming here for accurate weather.

Achilleslastand
02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
What time is the snow expected to hit the metro?

Of Sound Mind
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
When it gets here...

venture
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM

A lot is going to depend on this redevelopment in the dry slot. This thing is moving painfully slow to the east.

SoonerDave
02-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Me too. For a long time now.

Achilleslastand
02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
A lot is going to depend on this redevelopment in the dry slot. This thing is moving painfully slow to the east.

Thank you sir.

venture
02-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Screen cap from the latest mPING reports...this is over a 2 hour time period. Most of the snow reports though in the metro are are from the last 30-60 minutes.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/disc/mping-1238.png

RadicalModerate
02-25-2013, 11:39 AM

without implying "selfishness" . . . I am glad that we agree. =)

tillyato
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I find myself coming here for accurate weather.

+1. Thanks for everyone who has taken the time to provide insightful weather updates on this thread.

Anonymous.
02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
This storm is an animal. It is feeding itself moisture from... itself. Looking @ water vapor, it is pulling moisture off of the tail end in SW TX and pulling it directly into the low's center over Wichita Falls.

Per radar, precip. is increasing over NW TX into SW OK. This will spread east into SC OK where the dry air will rapidly cool from evaporation and help everyone in the western 2/3 of OK drop below freezing.

venture
02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
NWS Norman ‏@NWSNorman (https://twitter.com/NWSNorman)
Dry air moving into S/C OK may affect snow transition, but additional cooling and progression of upper low expected to overcome that

venture
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Rick Smith ‏@ounwcm (https://twitter.com/ounwcm)
Latest data suggests higher snow totals may occur farther S and E than previous model runs. Transition to snow slower alg/E of I-35#okwx (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23okwx&src=hash)

Decious
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
This storm is an animal. It is feeding itself moisture from... itself. Looking @ water vapor, it is pulling moisture off of the tail end in SW TX and pulling it directly into the low's center over Wichita Falls.

Per radar, precip. is increasing over NW TX into SW OK. This will spread east into SC OK where the dry air will rapidly cool from evaporation and help everyone in the western 2/3 of OK drop below freezing.

Word! It's awesome. Looks like we may get the full "comma head" holding together and really popping us in OKC. Maybe.... maybe even see a pivot point close by. Could happen. :-)

venture
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
NWS bumped their snowfall totals for Norman up to 3-7".

venture
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
DualPol is almost nailing the rain/snow transition area. Okarche in Kingfisher County has 1-2" on the ground already.

Starting to see the dryslot SW of the metro area fill in now.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radar/ktlx_hca1.png

Edit, so right after I posted that it decided to change everything to snow. Sigh.

Decious
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
The wraparound in the Texas panhandle is WAY further south than any of the models have projected. The snow is clear down to Midland and was barely progged to reach Lubbock as recent as last night. WOW! Powerful system. The low IS where it's supposed to be... but it's throwing snow off of it's backside way south and hasn't even started to reach peak strength. Don't see this every year. That's not hype. That's what it's doing.

wdj
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
So, if I'm sitting around I-44 & Broadway Ext., what time should I plan to pack up and head home to Norman?

SoonerDave
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Maybe.... maybe even see a pivot point close by. Could happen. :-)

'Splain, please?

So this thing is regrouping and diving south and east, which changes the ballgame for OKC, it sounds like.
BTW, Tinker just announced they're closing at 2pm

BoulderSooner
02-25-2013, 12:17 PM
'Splain, please?

So this thing is regrouping and diving south and east, which changes the ballgame for OKC, it sounds like.

Yep and most sq commanders already sent most personal home

venture
02-25-2013, 12:17 PM
'Splain, please?

Pivot point is essentially where the precip is wrapping back around and not really moving.

Tom Niziol's Winter Weather Blog : NORTHEAST SNOW STORM - THE PIVOT POINT | Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/tniziol/show.html?entrynum=3)

OKCRT
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
The wraparound in the Texas panhandle is WAY further south than any of the models have projected. The snow is clear down to Midland and was barely progged to reach Lubbock as recent as last night. WOW! Powerful system. The low IS where it's supposed to be... but it's throwing snow off of it's backside way south and hasn't even started to reach peak strength. Don't see this every year. That's not hype. That's what it's doing.

Cool,I hope we get a foot of snow in okc. It looks like when it starts it could stay around a while.

Plutonic Panda
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
So what's the word? Are we going to get slammed by this? :D

OKCisOK4me
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
So, if I'm sitting around I-44 & Broadway Ext., what time should I plan to pack up and head home to Norman?

When you see snow falling.

poe
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
NWS in Amarillo is reporting 17 inches so far. It really is insane; haven't seen it this bad in a long time. Get ready if it heads your way.

jn1780
02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Its amazing seeing the storm system spit out that big line of storms out east that are correctly on the state borders.

zookeeper
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Remember that good and bad is in your own perspective. This is GREAT for the ongoing drought!

venture
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Okay so the wind component seems to be getting overlooked by us so I'll tap into that. Right now it looks like the 25 kt winds will get into Central OK between 6 and 8PM tonight. They will continue, as it looks like right, though much of the night. We could still see some light snow going well after Midnight tonight, but there is going to be a lot just blowing around. Remember for Blizzard Criteria we need 35 mph winds and visibility under a quarter of a mile for a 3 hour period. Wind gusts are already 30-35 mph in Kingfisher and Canadian Counties. Do not be shocked if they inch the warnings a bit more east as the criteria is met.

venture
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Official state of emergency out for...

The executive order allows state agencies to make emergency purchases related to disaster relief and preparedness. It also is a first step toward seeking federal assistance, should it be necessary.
Oklahoma County is among the counties covered in the declaration. Other counties are Adair, Alfalfa, Beaver, Beckham, Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Cherokee, Cimarron, Cleveland, Comanche, Cotton, Craig, Creek, Custer, Delaware, Dewey, Ellis, Garfield, Grady, Grant, Greer, Harmon, Harper, Jackson, Kay, Kingfisher, Kiowa, Lincoln, Logan, Major, Mayes, McClain, McIntosh, Muskogee, Noble, Nowata, Okfuskee, Okmulgee, Osage, Ottawa, Pawnee, Payne, Pottawatomie, Roger Mills, Rogers, Seminole, Texas, Tillman, Tulsa, Wagoner, Washington, Wa****a, Woods and Woodward.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I was helping out at the shop near 63rd and May. It is just cold rain, there. They were surprised when, at 12:30, I packed up and bid them adieu. I didn't want to have to deal with traveling to SW Oklahoma City later in the day. Not sure if that was necessary but would just as soon be home and not out in this unless I have to. We've gotten just over an inch of rain, so far. It was 41 degrees at 63rd and May. By the time I got to Council and 152 HWY, it was down to 36.

kelroy55
02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Better safe than sorry PQ

Andrew4OU
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I was just browsing the KOCO Live Wire. It's interesting to me that I see a tweet from a met. from the NWS calling for higher snow totals south and east, yet Damon Lane on KOCO calling for lesser totals due to the dry slot. Confused!

adaniel
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Just heard that Devon is closing at 2, and several businesses downtown are closing at 3.

If you want a view of what might be coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAKvn1rdaDI

venture
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I was just browsing the KOCO Live Wire. It's interesting to me that I see a tweet from a met. from the NWS calling for higher snow totals south and east, yet Damon Lane on KOCO calling for lesser totals due to the dry slot. Confused!

NWS is probably in a more real time mode. TV mets are more reactive with their forecasts.

PennyQuilts
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Better safe than sorry PQ

Glad I had the flexibility. I imagine there are a lot of worried parents who have to work and who are wondering how this is all going to effect child care. That being said, I was surprised that at the shop, no one besides me had been paying the slightest attention to the weather, weren't keeping up with it, and didn't even know we had bad weather on the way. They figured we get an inch of snow, or so, and that would be it.

OKCisOK4me
02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Black fog?

ou48A
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
CH 9 is getting reports of light snow in Moore and Mustang

silvergrove
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
OUHSC campus is now preparing to close. 2:00 pm classes are cancelled and the campus will shut down at 3:00 pm.

Decious
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
It's snowing here in Edmond. Little bit of sleet mixed in.

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 12:48 PM
NWS is probably in a more real time mode. TV mets are more reactive with their forecasts.

Speaking of TV Mets, Morgan at KFOR has now dropped his snow totals for Metro to 1-3 due to "warmer" temps above freezing he believes will prevail even after dark. He just said he thinks roads may only be wet or slushy in the Metro even as late as 8PM. He even said he believes the "Winter Storm Warning" criteria might not even be met in the Metro when it's all said and done.

venture
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Speaking of TV Mets, Morgan at KFOR has now dropped his snow totals for Metro to 1-3 due to "warmer" temps above freezing he believes will prevail even after dark. He just said he thinks roads may only be wet or slushy in the Metro even as late as 8PM.

/headbash

With the way trends are going it looks like it might be worse. Why does it seem what he say here, TV always does the opposite. We'll say it is slacking off, they call for the end of the world. We say it might be a bit heavier than previous expected, they call for sunshine and daisies.

SoonerDave
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
/headbash

With the way trends are going it looks like it might be worse. Why does it seem what he say here, TV always does the opposite. We'll say it is slacking off, they call for the end of the world. We say it might be a bit heavier than previous expected, they call for sunshine and daisies.

Wondering if he's just WAY behind on the models/forecasts. They were backing off totals last night, maybe he just got around to them :)

I'm sticking with what I see here.

SomeGuy
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
/headbash

No Offense but I never have trusted channel 4 honestly, I usually watch KOCO. I'm going for 2-5 inches

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
/headbash

I tend to agree with you. I sure wouldn't make plans this evening based on his forecast of only "wet and/or slushy" roads.

jn1780
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
/headbash

If he turns out to be wrong to downside, he will use it as an excuss to be more doomerish in his predictions in the future.

Video Expert
02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
If he turns out to be wrong to downside, he will use it as an excuss to be more doomerish in his predictions in the future.

More doomerish??? Is that even possible? :wink:

ou48A
02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
The low still looks like it’s moving south of due east but it may be moving faster now?
Can anyone else verify?

poe
02-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Forgot to mention there was a 77 mph wind gust at the Amarillo airport earlier today.

kelroy55
02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
No Offense but I never have trusted channel 4 honestly, I usually watch KOCO. I'm going for 2-5 inches

I watch Emily in the mornings but KOKO for more accurate forecast.

venture
02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The low still looks like it’s moving south of due east but it may be moving faster now?
Can anyone else verify?

Looks like it is still just over Northern Clay Co, TX. Not really picking up any speed.

FritterGirl
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
So far, downtown is still wet, but no current precip falling. Of any kind.