View Full Version : City Council Races Starting to Take Shape

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ljbab728
01-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Oklahoma City Council races develop after first day of filing | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-races-develop-after-first-day-of-filing/article/3750182)

kevinpate
01-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Be interesting to see if folks want younger, fresher perspectives regarding MAPs3 matters, public safety, Blvd., etc. or whether the current guard is considered adequate to advance their interests. Four open seats and Shadid offers an opportunity for a new set of gatekeepers at the horseshoe ... if folk want it enough to work the trenches door to door. Necessary as the old guard isn't likely to be outspent, or make any significant changes in city mgmt. style or personnel.

Luck to all as you go forward, whatever path is chosen.

LakeEffect
01-30-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm unimpressed with Ward 1's new candidate so far. His website is slick, but I don't see any issue statements about real City issues, only generalities. We'll see where that one goes.

As for the 3 Ward 7 candidates, it doesn't appear that any have websites at this time.

LordGerald
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm unimpressed with Ward 1's new candidate so far. His website is slick, but I don't see any issue statements about real City issues, only generalities. We'll see where that one goes.

As for the 3 Ward 7 candidates, it doesn't appear that any have websites at this time.

God told him to run for Council?

Quote from his website:

"The most important reason that I am running is I believe that I have been called to do so. So this is an act of obedience, and I am trusting God to take me where He wants me to go. My goal in life is to glorify God in everything that I do, and that’s why I decided to run for Oklahoma City Council."

betts
01-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote from his website:

"The most important reason that I am running is I believe that I have been called to do so. So this is an act of obedience, and I am trusting God to take me where He wants me to go. My goal in life is to glorify God in everything that I do, and that’s why I decided to run for Oklahoma City Council."

I have a couple of questions for him. What is God's plan for Oklahoma City? And, in what church do you worship? There's one church that needs no representation on the council, IMO.

Teo9969
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
If there are any good candidates for these wards, we need to find an easy to explain, well crafted argument in favor of core-first investment being advantageous for those who live in Suburban-OKC.

LakeEffect
01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I have a couple of questions for him. What is God's plan for Oklahoma City? And, in what church do you worship? There's one church that needs no representation on the council, IMO.

Covenant Community Church

CuatrodeMayo
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm getting tea party vibes.

LakeEffect
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm getting tea party vibes.

Maybe? He's got a Brian Walters feel. However, since he's fighting an incumbent, I think it'll be more uphill. Walters won because it was an open race, James will have a tougher time I think.

onthestrip
01-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote from his website:

Great, just what we need in our city government, an extreme fundamentalist...

zookeeper
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Filing goes through tomorrow at 5pm. Surely some of you have considered serving a term or two on the council?

Larry OKC
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
onthestrip: How does the statement: "The most important reason that I am running is I believe that I have been called to do so. So this is an act of obedience, and I am trusting God to take me where He wants me to go. My goal in life is to glorify God in everything that I do..." equate "extreme fundamentalist"?

ljbab728
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
The filings should be complete now.

Seven candidates file for Ward 7 seat on Oklahoma City Council | News OK (http://newsok.com/seven-candidates-file-for-ward-7-seat-on-oklahoma-city-council/article/3750754)

LakeEffect
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Really interested to see how the Ward 1 election plays out. The 3rd candidate has a few actual stances listed on her website. Should be a fun ride.

Ward 7 (my ward) has an incredible amount of candidates. Hopefully I'll start getting literature at home so I can decipher who they all are. Can't find anything online yet.

Larry OKC
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm ok with White but McAtee really needs to go...he has made a few statements during Council that bordered on out-right lies & no one challenges him on it...too bad he didn't draw an opponent.

kevinpate
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
given the relatively light showing during the filing period, I suppose one could opine that the vast majority of folks are ok with the overall makeup of the current city leadership.

Dubya61
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
given the relatively light showing during the filing period, I suppose one could opine that the vast majority of folks are ok with the overall makeup of the current city leadership.

-- or, as has been opined in another thread, no one who is not retired or otherwise wealthy can afford to give up their day job and work on the City Council for free. I hate the job they're doing, but I can't afford to take a lengthy sabbatical from work and do the job.

OKCisOK4me
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Is there some place we can go to see what they're for or against in regards to the future of OKC?

LakeEffect
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Is there some place we can go to see what they're for or against in regards to the future of OKC?

Two have websites that I've found:

James Greiner | OKC City Council Ward 1 (http://www.jamesgreiner.com/)

Carolyn Sims for Oklahoma City Council Ward 1 (http://www.carolynokc.com/)

And Skip has a site too.

Ronald Skip Kelly for City Council (http://skipkellyward7.com/)

OKCisOK4me
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, I currently live in Ward 8 but am still registered to vote in Ward 2. Doesn't look like I can vote on anything really...

Midtowner
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Two have websites that I've found:

James Greiner | OKC City Council Ward 1 (http://www.jamesgreiner.com/)

Carolyn Sims for Oklahoma City Council Ward 1 (http://www.carolynokc.com/)

And Skip has a site too.

Ronald Skip Kelly for City Council (http://skipkellyward7.com/)

Good God... Greiner's website looks like a cut/paste from just about every vanilla tinfoil hatter Republican in the state legislature.

Sims though is impressive. It looks like she's accomplished a lot. Her website has coherent, her ideas a lot more real and municipal related than Greiner's "I'm for a limited government" boilerplate pablum. (is there anyone for unlimited government?)

LakeEffect
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Good God... Greiner's website looks like a cut/paste from just about every vanilla tinfoil hatter Republican in the state legislature.

Sims though is impressive. It looks like she's accomplished a lot. Her website has coherent, her ideas a lot more real and municipal related than Greiner's "I'm for a limited government" boilerplate pablum. (is there anyone for unlimited government?)

I do think it's a little funny that one of the pictures of her has downtown in the background, but then all she talks about is how downtown has dominated lately and neighborhoods need care.

onthestrip
02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
onthestrip: How does the statement: "The most important reason that I am running is I believe that I have been called to do so. So this is an act of obedience, and I am trusting God to take me where He wants me to go. My goal in life is to glorify God in everything that I do..." equate "extreme fundamentalist"?

Ha, how does it not? If you "believe" that god spoke to you to run for city council then how do you think he will base his decisions? He will probably be the type that will vote against allowing the gay pride parade. Sorry, people like him probably aren't best for a city council.

LandRunOkie
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Say Hello to Ward 7's next councilman, John Pettis (http://pettisforward7.com/home).

citizenkane
02-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Yeah, notice how that buzzword "common sense" is all over his page. It's even one of his issues.

BBatesokc
02-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm in Ward 4 (for now) and represented by Pete White.

I'll be voting for him.

Don't know a lot about him, but I do know he has worked well with No Boundaries Int'l and their efforts to positively impact the South Robinson Ave. area. He was instrumental in getting the city to agree to let them take possession of the former fire station at SW 34 and Robinson - to be used as a community center and outreach base for their efforts on Robinson.

LuccaBrasi
02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I hear that both Greiner and Sims are both very nice and level headed citizens with integrity and good intentions, but if eithger one manages to upset Marrs, which I seriously doubt, that would likely end any future support for urban related issues from what I've been told. Sure, we all want better neighborhoods, more sidewalks, etc, but not at the expense of the urban core.

Midtowner
02-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Yeah, notice how that buzzword "common sense" is all over his page. It's even one of his issues.

I live in Ward 1 and don't frankly want to be represented by someone who thinks God told him to run for office. Folks who think God really cares whether they win the seat of Ward 1 in OKC frankly scare me and come off maybe as being either mentally ill or having delusions of grandeur. He doesn't have one actual issue on his website which doesn't come right out of the Republican consultant playbook. I don't need another Fallin clone to represent me.

I understand that Sims has a picture of downtown, but I agree with her that places not downtown could use some TLC. Especially in Ward 1. A lot of our neighborhoods are close to 50 years old and infrastructure and roads could use a little attention.

Architect2010
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm glad Pete White ran again for Ward 4. His brother, Mike or Michael, lives about 8 houses down from us in the home he and Pete grew up in [which is the South Walker neighborhood in Ward 4]. Our family was very close with theirs as my mother tells me, and I believe it as Pete has been my mother's lawyer to this day. He even used to babysit my mother and his brother back in the 50's when he was a teen. He's true to the Southside neighborhoods that he grew up in and I'm very glad he is able to represent a part of town that I'm sure is very sentimental to him.

LandRunOkie
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
So what are people's thoughts on John Pettis for Ward 7? Seems like just the fresh blood the council could use?

adaniel
02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
So what are people's thoughts on John Pettis for Ward 7? Seems like just the fresh blood the council could use?

I think he would be pretty good. I'm pretty sure if elected he would be the youngest on the council.

I will add my extended family is pretty involved in the Eastside community and they are doing everything in their power to get Skip Kelly out of office. I was shocked he even decided to run considering he would have to relinquish his seat if/when he is convicted.

LakeEffect
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

I don't see anything specific about issues. I see a lot of "I want more ... and more ..." but not the how.

With that many candidates in my ward, I'm going to be looking for a lot more information from all of them.

OKCTalker
02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Why do we even care about party affiliation at the horseshoe? It brings nothing in my opinion, except the opportunity to fragment those trying to unite behind visions to move our city forward. Those pushing party agendas are usually the craziest nutjobs out there, all heat and no light, and they always attract media coverage which detracts from coverage of the real issues.

Larry OKC
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Ha, how does it not? If you "believe" that god spoke to you to run for city council then how do you think he will base his decisions? He will probably be the type that will vote against allowing the gay pride parade. Sorry, people like him probably aren't best for a city council.

That same quote could have come from any person of faith...doesn't automatically equate to extremism on either side, conservative, liberal or even Christian. What it means is that they will prayerfully consider their actions. Just as many of the founding fathers and elected officials have done running the whole spectrum of religious and political beliefs.

Larry OKC
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm in Ward 4 (for now) and represented by Pete White.

I'll be voting for him. ...

No need, since he is running unopposed, you don't get to vote for or against him...he & McAtee are automatically retained.
http://newsok.com/seven-candidates-file-for-ward-7-seat-on-oklahoma-city-council/article/3750754

LakeEffect
02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
That same quote could have come from any person of faith...doesn't automatically equate to extremism on either side, conservative, liberal or even Christian. What it means is that they will prayerfully consider their actions. Just as many of the founding fathers and elected officials have done running the whole spectrum of religious and political beliefs.

But that doesn't explain how he'd vote on a city issue at this point... I'd really like to see him put some concrete examples on his website. For instance, answer a policy question like "Oklahoma City saw a large increase in violent crime and homicide last year. OKCPD requests 40 new officers in the budget. Should we add them and how?"

Midtowner
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM

It's indicates either narcissism in that God actually cares who Ward 1's city Councilor is or insanity, which is common with people who have chats with God. Neither of which I'm particularly interested in.

But you're right, his website, aside from going on and on and on about God takes no positions on anything except..more police. Yeah, I suppose that's good.. and also, I think he could run on a platform of more ice cream for everyone 'cuz that'll poll about the same.

On the one hand, you have your God fearing, possibly insane graphic designer. On the other hand, there's Carolyn Sims, who actually talks about the city, talks about parks and open spaces and walkability (very needed in Ward 1--why no bike trails or sidewalks on NW Expressway?). She's an advocate for OKC's neighborhoods, which frankly could use some TLC about now. In short, Sims' website is about the Ward and its needs. Greiner just seems very young and inexperienced and out of touch with what city government is even about.

CaptDave
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Isn't it odd how the far right always wants more police, but then turns around and refers to them as "jack booted thugs"? Interesting......

Ms Sims appears to be a pretty reasonable choice. I think she recognizes a thriving city core is important for all the Wards but has some good ideas for improvements in her ward.

Larry OKC
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Please understand, I don't know anything about him or what his beliefs are, I was just trying to point out that it is a mistake to jump to the conclusion that someone is a extreme fundamentalist because they are a person of faith. Maybe he falls into the category. Maybe he doesn't.

Midtowner
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Larry, if you follow political races in Okieland, you'll notice that all of their campaign materials sound --exactly-the-same-- I mean to the letter. This sort of content feels like something developed by a consultant. Sims actually has issues to talk about because she brings something to the table. It's even quite possible that she's a religious person.

We're not electing the best preacher, we're electing the best person to represent the Ward.

Larry OKC
02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Midtowner, I agree but to automatically dismiss someone because they are a person of faith is a mistake. Can't someone believe in God and all of what that entails AND be the best person to represent the ward? There are many great elected leaders that it would leave out. Wouldn't it? I take it much the same as party affiliation etc, it gives you an insight to the person but just as a D or R next to a persons name doesn't tell you the whole story it gives you a starting point. That is why I have never voted straight party, but vote for the person instead. Sometimes that means I voted all for one party. Most often it does not.

Midtowner
02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Midtowner, I agree but to automatically dismiss someone because they are a person of faith is a mistake.

I don't care whether they are a person of faith. I find it completely irrelevant. The fact that he talks more about his faith and that God told him to run than actual city issues, and really we need more police? What derp of a consultant came up with that?

Can't someone believe in God and all of what that entails AND be the best person to represent the ward?

Yes. Except this guy is a graphic design major who presumably has quite a bit of experience in marketing. It shows youth and inexperience to launch a bid for city council, be an actual professional website designer, and still not have a position of substance on any issue except... we need more police (but how to pay for them, he doesn't have a plan).

There are many great elected leaders that it would leave out. Wouldn't it? I take it much the same as party affiliation etc, it gives you an insight to the person but just as a D or R next to a persons name doesn't tell you the whole story it gives you a starting point. That is why I have never voted straight party, but vote for the person instead. Sometimes that means I voted all for one party. Most often it does not.

It's totally irrelevant. But I can tell you that in the context of government candidates who seem fixated on their own religion score in the 20-30% range in recent years. Ask Hearron how it all worked out for him.

zookeeper
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Isn't it odd how the far right always wants more police, but then turns around and refers to them as "jack booted thugs"? Interesting......

Ms Sims appears to be a pretty reasonable choice. I think she recognizes a thriving city core is important for all the Wards but has some good ideas for improvements in her ward.

I agree. Carolyn Sims is the easy choice for me in this race. Ward One has many problems that are going unaddressed yet it's not either/or with her. She was President of the Myriad Gardens Foundation at one time, she obviously loves what we're doing downtown. Ward One needs an advocate though and I think she makes it pretty clear she would be one. In my opinion it's time for Marrs to go as he's a City Manager and establishment lackey and seems to give very little thought to anything, he's just kind of there.

s00nr1
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
It appears to me that Midtowner should have filed to run for a seat considering his passion in this thread.

LandRunOkie
02-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Well John Pettis never got back to me on a range of issues. I asked him what his positions on the quiet zone, boulevard, and the convention center were but didn't get a response. So my enthusiasm for Big John has waned and now I'm just hoping for "anybody other than Skip."

Wish the Oklahoman would pick up coverage of the council races. There are some good candidates that need the exposure, especially Ms. Sims.

Urban Pioneer
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Last night, all three Ward 1 candidates were on the Gwin Faulconer Lippert Show. Very insightful.

kevinpate
02-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Interesting conflict regarding political coverage. Just how much position and background information should the media be expected to seek out and report as contrasted to how much position and background information should fall to the campaigns via funding and distributing their respective messages through paid political space?

Dubya61
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Interesting conflict regarding political coverage. Just how much position and background information should the media be expected to seek out and report as contrasted to how much position and background information should fall to the campaigns via funding and distributing their respective messages through paid political space?

In other words, does the organization make money by being a great provider of information thereby attracting subscribers and advertisers? or by being a mediocre provider of information with a percieved monopoly on local info that defaults to a few subscribers and advertisers?

ljbab728
02-26-2013, 11:50 PM
It's not surprising that fund raising favor the incumbents.

Incumbents lead in the Oklahoma City Council money race | News OK (http://newsok.com/incumbents-lead-in-the-oklahoma-city-council-money-race/article/3759389)

I'm not sure how much difference that makes though. I, personally, have seen no campaign promotions for any candidate so far.

Frustratedoptimist
03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
The Ward 7 candidate that will commit to and coordinate a joint monthly meeting with the school board reps, principals, PD, clergy, businesses, and neighborhood leaders within the Ward would have my vote if I lived in it. Ward 7 has some serious problems to contend with and these leaders need to communicate and come up with a joint plan for addressing them.

ljbab728
03-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is anyplace on line to go to that would give unbiased accounts of the views on the issues by the candidates?

LandRunOkie
03-05-2013, 07:31 AM
It looks as though the mainstream media has decided to "overlook" the elections today. Don't overlook your right to vote today!

Larry OKC
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
the Oklahoman had a good piece in Monday's paper with each of the OKC Council candidates, their views etc. The printed version was evenly balanced as to candidates pictures space alloted etc
http://newsok.com/council-seats-are-up-for-grabs-in-election/article/3761116

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-election-takes-place-tuesday/article/3760964

And in Tuedays paper (haven't finished it yet), they had front page "Vote Today" tease (3A) reminding folks to vote in the various metro area races.

Midtowner
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is anyplace on line to go to that would give unbiased accounts of the views on the issues by the candidates?

The only one I pay any attention to is Ward 1. Greiner is a BSer or a whackjob. Either way, I never trust a politician who talks more about God than their views on issues which matter, so for me, it's between the incumbent and Sims. Sims has a lot of passion. Marrs has been there long enough and in his time in office, we haven't seen a lot of things addressed in Ward 1 which need addressing. I feel nothing bad about Marrs, but it seems he has become more "Team OKC" rather than representing Ward 1's best interests. I think downtown is in all of our best interests, which is why I was active in the Maps III campaign, but let's give our neighborhoods some TLC before we start to experience suburban decay, which I think is going to come on pretty quick in a lot of Ward 1's aging homes.

LandRunOkie
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I see the articles now in News >> Politics. I was looking for it in News >> Local & State. I try to avoid the Politics section at all costs. "Mainstream media" also includes the TV stations ...

Larry OKC
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
LandRunOkie...I understand (I had trouble finding it on NewsOK myself), if they would only organize it like they do the paper...not sure what the TV stations are doing...seems they give you after-the-fact reporting/results and not what leads up it it (unless there is some major controversy...like MAPS 3)...but then again, i would think there would be plenty to talk about in Mr. Kelley's race. Probably will be a story or two tonight on the 10 o'clock news after the polls close.

ljbab728
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
The only one I pay any attention to is Ward 1. Greiner is a BSer or a whackjob. Either way, I never trust a politician who talks more about God than their views on issues which matter, so for me, it's between the incumbent and Sims. Sims has a lot of passion. Marrs has been there long enough and in his time in office, we haven't seen a lot of things addressed in Ward 1 which need addressing. I feel nothing bad about Marrs, but it seems he has become more "Team OKC" rather than representing Ward 1's best interests. I think downtown is in all of our best interests, which is why I was active in the Maps III campaign, but let's give our neighborhoods some TLC before we start to experience suburban decay, which I think is going to come on pretty quick in a lot of Ward 1's aging homes.

Somewhat of a surprise in Ward 1. Runoffs are coming.

OKC council races headed to runoff | News OK (http://newsok.com/okc-council-races-headed-to-runoff/article/3761734)

LandRunOkie
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
A little disappointing results in Ward 1 but it is good to see incumbents drawing resistance, given their uncooperative attitude.

rezman
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

So the fact that he is a Christian makes him unfit to hold a position on the city council? And you base this on the assumption that will "probably" vote against the gay parade.

DoctorTaco
03-06-2013, 09:58 AM
My guess is that Sims and Marrs split the non-fundamentalist vote in Ward 1, and that Greiner was only able to squeak into the front because of Sims playing spoiler. My hypotheses will be tested in the runoff election, though. If I'm right Marrs should win in a landslide, barring new developments.

Edit: And I'll add I was a bit surprised that Sims didn't do better. I felt like she had a good message and good branding.