View Full Version : Home Depot or Lowes?

bucktalk
01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Went to both stores today. But I must say each time I go to both stores I come away thinking Lowe's has Home Depot beat with facilities, inventory and employee assistance.

What about you?

Easy180
01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Prefer Lowes as well as I have always had good experiences there...With that said Home Depot ain't bad either I just tend to head to Lowes

BBatesokc
01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I always shop them both to see if one is having a better sale than the other. Don't really prefer one over the other. 99% of the time they both carry what I'm looking for. However, when it comes to a real hardware store need, I go to ACE.

Hollywood
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Used to patron Lowes when the wife worked there. Since she moved on to her career I've found myself shopping exclusively at Westlake ACE Hardware. Just feels more local.

Bill Robertson
01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
I always shop them both to see if one is having a better sale than the other. Don't really prefer one over the other. 99% of the time they both carry what I'm looking for. However, when it comes to a real hardware store need, I go to ACE.Exactly

GaryOKC6
01-29-2013, 08:51 AM
They all have their advantages. I will price shop them all if I have a big project that will cost a lot. For nut, bolts and fasteners Ace Hardware has them all beat hands down. I like the Behr paint with built in primer at home depot. Lowes has a better selection of appliances.

Roger S
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Pretty much only go to either to buy charcoal. Around the summer holidays they usually have good deals on the 2-16lb bags of Kingsford.

SoonerDave
01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Used to patron Lowes when the wife worked there. Since she moved on to her career I've found myself shopping exclusively at Westlake ACE Hardware. Just feels more local.

Interesting - ACE is typically much higher than either Lowe's or HD in my experience with drastically smaller selection. If there's a substantial purchase involved, I'll drive the extra few miles to Lowe's.

I've been a fan of Lowe's ever since they went what I considered to be above and beyond the call to get a new freezer delivered to my house before a pile of food went south on us. They didn't have to do it; the clerk who rang up the purchase called the delivery center, asked if he could get in an immediate delivery, and from what I could tell had to enter a bit of a verbal sparring match with whom I presume was the dispatcher, but got it done for us, which saved me from having to take a day off work to wait for the delivery. That's awesome service in my book. He didn't *have* to do any of it. So that gets Lowe's a long-term +1 from me.

HD is okay, but its just that extra fraction less convenient for us to reach. We have bought some things there that Lowe's didn't offer in the particular brand or variety I needed (garage door openers come to mind). If I really need some unusual tools or hardware, I head over to Steve's Wholesale Tools on Santa Fe. Really broad selection, locally owned.

RadicalModerate
01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Pretty much only go to either to buy charcoal. Around the summer holidays they usually have good deals on the 2-16lb bags of Kingsford.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you use charcoal briquettes rather than real hardwood charcoal. =)
(on the other hand, i don't think Home Depot, Lowes or Ace carry it so i generally use the briquettes too)

The hardware selection at Ace--as compared to Home Depot OR Lowes is close to phenominal. I actually found some obscure components that allowed me to rig up sort of a repair to an old rocking recliner. To me, the problem with Ace (at least the one I go to from time to time) is that it just seems sort of . . . dead. I can't exactly explain why I feel like that, but it may have something to do with the staff who just don't seem real enthusiatic about being there. They aren't "bad" . . . they are just there.

SoonerDave
01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised that you use charcoal briquettes rather than real hardwood charcoal. =)
(on the other hand, i don't think Home Depot, Lowes or Ace carry it so i generally use the briquettes too)

The hardware selection at Ace--as compared to Home Depot OR Lowes is close to phenominal. I actually found some obscure components that allowed me to rig up sort of a repair to an old rocking recliner. To me, the problem with Ace (at least the one I go to from time to time) is that it just seems sort of . . . dead. I can't exactly explain why I feel like that, but it may have something to do with the staff who just don't seem real enthusiatic about being there. They aren't "bad" . . . they are just there.

Radical, could you and the other guys who have posted similar observations re Ace give me some more ideas how Ace's selection is better?

I get so frustrated with the Ace near my house I almost get to the point of not trying, and just going to Lowe's directly. I wonder if we're talking about different Ace stores that are organized/stocked differently? The Ace over on SW 119th and Western is barely useful most of the time for me. I find myself going in there to check merely because its closer, then get all grumbly when they don't have what I want, and end up going to Lowe's...and their garden stuff is usually a *lot* higher compared to Lowe's...so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing!

Roger S
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

It depends on what I'm cooking.

For long cooks like briskets or pork butts the lower temp, slower burning, briquettes work perfectly when I need them to burn for 12+ hours. I have gotten up to 16 hours on a single load of Kingsford.

For poultry or shorter cooks like pork spareribs I will use lump charcoal.

I actually prefer a brand of charcoal called OCC Rancher but no one in Oklahoma carries it anymore. Last time I saw it was at a Trader Joe's in California. It's a briquette but it doesn't have all the binders in it like Kingsford does and leaves very little ash after it burns. Last time I found it in OKC was about 5 years ago at Home Depot.

RadicalModerate
01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Radical, could you and the other guys who have posted similar observations re Ace give me some more ideas how Ace's selection is better?

I get so frustrated with the Ace near my house I almost get to the point of not trying, and just going to Lowe's directly. I wonder if we're talking about different Ace stores that are organized/stocked differently? The Ace over on SW 119th and Western is barely useful most of the time for me. I find myself going in there to check merely because its closer, then get all grumbly when they don't have what I want, and end up going to Lowe's...and their garden stuff is usually a *lot* higher compared to Lowe's...so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing!

Home Depot and Lowes stock only the most basic, common, hardware--and by "hardware" I'm talking primarily about fasteners and components of various kinds made of metal or some composite. If you go to the Ace at Britton and Waverly and start exploring all the things they have in the bank after bank of hardware in drawers you might be amazed. I don't buy tools or anything like that at Ace: Their prices and selection aren't as good as either Home Depot or Lowes. Or Steve Wholesale (where I must admit I've never been.) My favorite tool buying place used to be Builders Square, and I sure miss REAL lumberyards like Carey, Big L and even Payless Cashways, but this isn't a nostalgia thread. =)

woodyrr
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Home Depot vs Lowes also depends on what brand you prefer. Using electrical as an example. If you prefer Leviton switches, and AV supplies it's Home Depot. Lowe's has some other brand. For electrical tools, Home Depot has Klein and Lowe's doesn't. The same is true for a lot of other items such as doors and windows.

Matt
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Men shop at Home Depot. Lowe's is for the lady-folk.

OkieHornet
01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
at one of the home & garden shows a few years back, paul james from hgtv (and is from tulsa) was giving a demonstration and he would refer to the stores as either the "orange" or "blue" store, never mentioning either by name. so when i'm going to one or the other, that's what i call them and my wife automatically knows.

kevinpate
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
HD gets more of the party crowd, but both can have decent sales from time to time.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/3779711/50+Shades+of+Party+in+Aisle+15/

Easy180
01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Men shop at Home Depot. Lowe's is for the lady-folk.

Well I am in banking lol

BBatesokc
01-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Same goes for what brand of 'shop vac' you've got and need parts for.

ou48A
01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Home Depot and Lowes stock only the most basic, common, hardware--and by "hardware" I'm talking primarily about fasteners and components of various kinds made of metal or some composite. If you go to the Ace at Britton and Waverly and start exploring all the things they have in the bank after bank of hardware in drawers you might be amazed. I don't buy tools or anything like that at Ace: Their prices and selection aren't as good as either Home Depot or Lowes. Or Steve Wholesale (where I must admit I've never been.) My favorite tool buying place used to be Builders Square, and I sure miss REAL lumberyards like Carey, Big L and even Payless Cashways, but this isn't a nostalgia thread. =)

As you say Ace has always carried a much larger selection various fasteners than practically anyone else.
If they don’t have it and you really need it then you are pretty much down to your last choice and that’s having it machined, which is exactly what I have done on rare occasion.

It’s too bad that the Norman Ace store closed.

SomeGuy
01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Home Depot, they some better sales and deals on certain items like I got one of those little cans of paint for 2 dollars, I also get my christmas trees there for reasonable prices, but I get most of my tools at Ace Hardware because it' s cheaper and closer to my house ( in case I break a screwdriver or drill). Lowes is ok but they are way better than Sears imo simply because I have always had problems with Sears hardware.

UncleCyrus
01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Home Depot vs Lowes also depends on what brand you prefer. Using electrical as an example. If you prefer Leviton switches, and AV supplies it's Home Depot. Lowe's has some other brand. For electrical tools, Home Depot has Klein and Lowe's doesn't. The same is true for a lot of other items such as doors and windows.

You mentioned Klein tools and AV supplies...Synergy Datacom downtown has both, at much better prices usually. I have always found that any type of AV supplies at any big-box retailer are excessively marked-up.

As far as the original topic, I have to agree with the others above and say that I go to Ace. I actually like the smaller stores and I think many of their products are higher quality than what I have purchased from L or HD. Also, at the Ace I visit I usually get better service.

BBatesokc
01-30-2013, 04:53 AM
I go to the ACE at SW 44 and Western often. The manager is very nice and greets many people (myself included) by name. He also has the ability and willingness to lower a price on the spot for items they need to rotate out of the store. He made me a great deal (40% off) on 6 huge ceramic pots when they were needing to take down their outdoor plant area and a great deal on a charcoaler at the end of summer.

They also have parts for things like lawn sprinkler tractors, and you can usually park by the door and be in and out in 10 minutes.

Another good thing about ACE is if you sign up for their shopper loyalty card. I get $5/$10 redeemable cards in the mail or email all the time and exclusive sales not advertised in the stores.

Hollywood
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Interesting - ACE is typically much higher than either Lowe's or HD in my experience with drastically smaller selection. If there's a substantial purchase involved, I'll drive the extra few miles to Lowe's.

True. Personally I prefer paying a little more than support Lowes given some policies they have I don't agree with. As for Home Depot,never really cared for the business however I will go there every so often. When not in a rush though, I'll wait and swing by ACE.

RadicalModerate
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
I honestly and respectfully disagree with the OPs initial observations, based on personal experience, regarding the relative shopping quality of the two MegaHomeImprovementCorps under discussion. I haven't sent foot back in a Lowes since that time they "dissed" me regarding a bit of help with locating in the aisles a simple plumbing item that I had already been assurred, by phone, was in stock and ready for me to simply come in and purchase.

Home Depot can be hit or miss . . . Depending on the variables such as the location, the phase of the moon, the management and staff.

ACE (at least the one I go to wearing my zombieguard and equidistant driving in any direction) may not exactly be "the place with the helpful hardware man"--dang . . . how could a company slogan get more genderist that THAT? =) but they have a better selection of some things.

If you are seriously interested in this sort of thing, have you ever checked out Rockler?
They don't have actual stores around here, but they are like the mail-order bride of your dreams.

(dang I miss Evan's Hardware in MWC and Koelches over there on the fringe of Del City or whatever . . .
yes, johnny . . . there was a time when a small number of nails didn't come pre-packaged from china . . .=)

ewoodard70
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
RM, why do you miss Evan's Hardware. My dad goes there all the time for lawn mower and plumping parts. It's off Douglass next to the old Bowling Green Bowling alley.
I also miss Koelches off of Reno and Sooner, however their prices were a little high on most things.

ctchandler
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Ewoodard70,
I went to Koelsch a lot and I liked there slogan, "If we don't have it, and we can't get it, you don't need it".
C. T.
I also miss Koelches off of Reno and Sooner, however their prices were a little high on most things.

ctchandler
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
RM,
They changed their jingle about twenty years ago, it's now "the place with the helpful hardware folk(s)".
C. T.

ewoodard70
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Ewoodard70,
I went to Koelsch a lot and I liked there slogan, "If we don't have it, and we can't get it, you don't need it".
C. T.

Remember that well, and from what I can remember it was pretty much true.

RadicalModerate
02-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Why do I miss Evans Hardware?: I don't live anywhere near Midwest City anymore . . . =)
Besides that, from everything I've picked up over the years, Evans Hardware is "Evans" Hardware in name only since Mr. Evans either sold it or passed away. Of course, that may be a misconception on my part.

Prunepicker
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
... However, when it comes to a real hardware store need, I go to ACE.
I like ACE and it's only a few blocks away. They have peanuts, too.

Tritone
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Peanuts?!

The Ace I visit has popcorn. I'd rather have the peanuts; popcorn hulls get stuck in my teeth. I'm a bit off topic, am I not?

Lowe's or Home Depot? They've both done me right and they've both botched things miserably. I frequent them both and buy from both as well as Ace and the local hardware store.

RadicalModerate
02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Peanuts?!

The Ace I visit has popcorn. I'd rather have the peanuts; popcorn hulls get stuck in my teeth. I'm a bit off topic, am I not?

Lowe's or Home Depot? They've both done me right and they've both botched things miserably. I frequent them both and buy from both as well as Ace and the local hardware store.

And there, my friends, are planted the roots of Moderate Hardware StoreShoppingism!
(whatever you do, do not drag politics into the hardware biz: ALL of it is Made In China. =)

Why, even the boxes that used to say: "Hecho de Mexico" now say "Hecho en Chine" . . . and that is a good thing . . . isn't it?
(at least for The Western Hemisphere) btw: word to the wise: the only tools worth buying are labeled, "Milwaukee" . . . and I'm sure you know why . . .

Prunepicker
02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Peanuts?!
The Ace I visit has popcorn. I'd rather have the peanuts; popcorn hulls get
stuck in my teeth. I'm a bit off topic, am I not?

Lowe's or Home Depot? They've both done me right and they've both botched
things miserably. I frequent them both and buy from both as well as Ace and
the local hardware store.
I've not been pleased with either hd or lowes. I'd rather have a root canal
than go to hd or l's.

The ACE at 23rd and N. Rockwell has peanuts. In fact you can eat your
weight in them if you can manage to stand around and act like you're a
potential customer.

Plutonic Panda
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Somewhat irrelevant, but, I'll post it anyways. Home Depot to hire 80,000 seasonal workers | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/feed/496959?slideout=1)

so1rfan
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I always felt that Home Depot caters to men, Lowe's caters to women. If you look, Lowe's has small appliances, lamps, and better selection of throw rugs and window blinds.

Main reason I don't shop at Lowe's is because I can't stand that cheater Jimmie Johnson.