View Full Version : Frontier City memories.

grantgeneral78
01-28-2013, 06:17 AM
My uncle was a gunfighter at Frontier City back in the 1960`s and my grandfather worked out there but I don`t really recall what he worked at there. I do remember my uncle taking me and my brother into the saloon and they had a few pictures of partial nude women hanging up and he would go in there and get himself a cold beer in a frosty mug and me and my brother a rootbeer...oh how this would not work today!

I do remember they had some neat rides but the one that seemed to stick out in my memory was the Model T looking cars that had two rows of seats and you drove around the concrete paved path. Well not actually drove the had a rail down the middle on the path that the car had bumpers on it that kept you from running of the road, but you could still steer them and my grandma and grandpa would sit in the back seat and say " your doing a great job ".

If anyone has any old pics of the park please post up some I would sure love to see them. This last weekend I was able to acquire one of the old cars that used to be at the park, I am so excited to have it for my grandkids to enjoy now. The car was used by the maintenance guys with a wood bed put on it but I got the parts to restore her back to her old glory and if anyone has pics of these please post them up so I can show my children and grandchildren. Here is a crappy cell phone picture of the car more pics to come though as I get her back together.

kevinpate
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM
loved those old cars as a child when we made a rare trip into OKC. Enjoyed them anew when my own children were growing up. Grandbabies are just about big enough to enjoy them if they still exist, though their feet still won't reach the pedals for a while. Then again, that's why poppa or nana will get to call shotgun.

grantgeneral78
01-28-2013, 08:54 AM
loved those old cars as a child when we made a rare trip into OKC. Enjoyed them anew when my own children were growing up. Grandbabies are just about big enough to enjoy them if they still exist, though their feet still won't reach the pedals for a while. Then again, that's why poppa or nana will get to call shotgun.

I think they are gone from there now at least I did not see them last time I was there. Yeah nana will need to drive till the get a little older.

RadicalModerate
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
When I was a child, and we came down here for summer visits, Frontier City was always one of the primary "go-to" destinations. This, despite the fact that there really wasn't much going on there at the time . . . Especially compared to the thrills that could be found at Springlake Amusement Park and the OKC Zoo (or even sitting in a rented boat, out at old Guthrie Lake, catching a truckload of those little "bream/sun perch" on pieces of worms.)

I remember the ironic juxtaposition of a silver flying saucer looking ride with the more traditional old western buildings and gunfights in the streets a few steps to the northeast . . . although the words "ironic" and "justaposition" had not yet entered my vocabulary so I had difficulty describing my impression of all that. Later, I was reminded, by Captain Kirk, that "Space was The Final Frontier" so I guess the owners of the park back then were well ahead of the curve.

Aside from that sort of nit-picky congnitive dissonance I LOVED going to Frontier City and I marvel at how much it has improved over the years. (well at least up to some point maybe fifteen years ago which was the last time I think I paid to go through the gate. Do they still have a Wisconsin Polka Band for Oktoberfest?)

(p.s.: actually having one of those old cars is exceptionally cool.)

ctchandler
01-28-2013, 02:55 PM
One of my memories of Frontier City was hitchhiking from South OKC to the park. A lot of my friends at church were going out there and I decided to see if I could beat them to the park with my thumb. And I did. It was also the day that the gondola(?) ride from the ground to the top of a tower got stuck in the middle and the fire department had to rescue the folks. The park went down hill for quite a few years, but new management/owners made a commitment to add a new ride each year to make it more attractive and sure enough they slowly made the park more competitive with other attractions. I haven't been there in several years but my grand kids have and they enjoyed it. Of course, since I bought them a season pass, how could they not like it? The price was right.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
01-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Well . . . I couldn't find any old pictures of the park when it still had the flying saucer ride, but I did come across this:
The Marshall's stage name was Johnny Ringo.
http://www.cardcow.com/images/set354/card00647_fr.jpg
(I always thought the fall from the balcony during one of the gunfights was extra neat.)

Jesseda
01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Well . . . I couldn't find any old pictures of the park when it still had the flying saucer ride, but I did come across this:
The Marshall's stage name was Johnny Ringo.
http://www.cardcow.com/images/set354/card00647_fr.jpg
(I always thought the fall from the balcony during one of the gunfights was extra neat.)

I take my kids all the time to frontier city, The old cars that you are talking about, i believe they are the same ones that circle the ferris wheel now, they are still in operation.. opps i just noticed I commented on this picture and not about the old cars

grantgeneral78
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I take my kids all the time to frontier city, The old cars that you are talking about, i believe they are the same ones that circle the ferris wheel now, they are still in operation.. opps i just noticed I commented on this picture and not about the old cars

I guess when they open for the season I am going to go out there and take the grandkids and check them out then, a good excuse to have some fun with the kiddos!

I am sure if anyone knows where some pictures are it would be Doug or Steve.

Gene
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Very cool, I didn't even know Frontier City was that old.

I hope to see more photos.

SOONER8693
07-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Very cool, I didn't even know Frontier City was that old.

I hope to see more photos.
Frontier City opened in 1958. The original Marshall was Jim Rollins. I and a good buddy of mine worked on the gunfight/stunt crew frow 82-89. We were all part of a group called Colonel Colt's Company. We were very good at what we did. We were national champions many times over against gunfight/stunt crews from all over the US. Jim Rollins was the Pres of our group. A number of us ended up with some movie and stunt work in other events and branched off into Civil War reenactment and Texas revolution reenactment. Out during the week crew at FC consisted of 7 people and we did a show every 2 hours on Front street or Fort street until a complete new set was built for us in about 85/86 maybe. On week-ends, most everyone in our group came out to "play". We would have 30-40 people show up and we had some colosal, big shows. We had over 80 shows we could do. In some the law/good guys won and in some the outlaws/bad guys won. Things were good while we worked for and the park was owned/managed by Premier Parks and Gary Story. They then sold out to Six Flags and the managemnet changed and the philosophy of the shows changed. No longer were the outlaws/bad guys to win in a gunfight/stunt show. Within a couple of years Colonel Colt's was out and they went to hiring college kids to do comedy type gunfights. It was great while it lasted. Great times and good memories with many good folks. p.s. The pic from above was probably from the 60's. As you can see, most of the guys in the pic are not in totally authentic clothing and gear. By the 80's and Colonel Colt's days, everything we wore had to be authentic and period attire. I also should add, that is where I met my wife. I was a gunfighter in the gunfight/stunt shows and she was a singer/dancer in the music hall/saloon shows.

Gene
07-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Frontier City opened in 1958. The original Marshall was Jim Rollins. I and a good buddy of mine worked on the gunfight/stunt crew frow 82-89. We were all part of a group called Colonel Colt's Company. We were very good at what we did. We were national champions many times over against gunfight/stunt crews from all over the US. Jim Rollins was the Pres of our group. A number of us ended up with some movie and stunt work in other events and branched off into Civil War reenactment and Texas revolution reenactment. Out during the week crew at FC consisted of 7 people and we did a show every 2 hours on Front street or Fort street until a complete new set was built for us in about 85/86 maybe. On week-ends, most everyone in our group came out to "play". We would have 30-40 people show up and we had some colosal, big shows. We had over 80 shows we could do. In some the law/good guys won and in some the outlaws/bad guys won. Things were good while we worked for and the park was owned/managed by Premier Parks and Gary Story. They then sold out to Six Flags and the managemnet changed and the philosophy of the shows changed. No longer were the outlaws/bad guys to win in a gunfight/stunt show. Within a couple of years Colonel Colt's was out and they went to hiring college kids to do comedy type gunfights. It was great while it lasted. Great times and good memories with many good folks. p.s. The pick from above was probably from the 60's. As you can see, most of the guys in the pic are not in totally authentic clothing and gear. By the 80's and Colonel Colt's days, everything we wore had to be authentic and period attire.

Yeah, the pic reminds me of Bonanza - great show, but maybe a bit light on authenticity. I didn't frequent Frontier City until I was old enough to be dropped off there - after your time. I remember the shows going on in the early to mid 90s, but what you're describing is on a much larger scale than anything I witnessed.

When I was a kid the usual family vacation would go through Colorado, and we always made a stop at "Buckskin Joe's". I later learned it was where they filmed Cat Ballou, which is among my favorite westerns. I wonder if you or any of your crew ever worked that gig? I think they closed recently, which is a shame.

mkjeeves
07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Loved Frontier City, the gunfights and train robberies when I was I was a kid. Lot of good memories of going there with my grandmother. Did I dream it or was there a burning covered wagon out front at one time up to around the mid '60s? Seems like it actually caught on fire one night we were there and that was the end of it. But maybe I remember that wrong and it was just a wagon.

Buckskin Joe was bought by one of the Koch brothers, who moved the entire town to his ranch. He collects western antiques and memorabilia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/william-koch-billionaire-_n_1819744.html

Gene
07-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Loved Frontier City, the gunfights and train robberies when I was I was a kid. Lot of good memories of going there with my grandmother. Did I dream it or was there a burning covered wagon out front at one time up to around the mid '60s? Seems like it actually caught on fire one night we were there and that was the end of it. But maybe I remember that wrong and it was just a wagon.

Buckskin Joe was bought by one of the Koch brothers, who moved the entire town to his ranch. He collects western antiques and memorabilia.

William Koch, Billionaire Brother Of Charles And David Koch, Builds His Own Private Old West Town (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/william-koch-billionaire-_n_1819744.html)

That makes me sick.

bluedogok
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I guess when they open for the season I am going to go out there and take the grandkids and check them out then, a good excuse to have some fun with the kiddos!

I am sure if anyone knows where some pictures are it would be Doug or Steve.
There is an article about it by Steve on the OKC History - Frontier City: Looking Back 50 Years (http://www.okchistory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=251:frontier-city-looking-back-50-years&catid=42:places&Itemid=78) website.

Jeepnokc
07-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Frontier City opened in 1958. The original Marshall was Jim Rollins. I and a good buddy of mine worked on the gunfight/stunt crew frow 82-89. We were all part of a group called Colonel Colt's Company. We were very good at what we did. We were national champions many times over against gunfight/stunt crews from all over the US. Jim Rollins was the Pres of our group. A number of us ended up with some movie and stunt work in other events and branched off into Civil War reenactment and Texas revolution reenactment. Out during the week crew at FC consisted of 7 people and we did a show every 2 hours on Front street or Fort street until a complete new set was built for us in about 85/86 maybe. On week-ends, most everyone in our group came out to "play". We would have 30-40 people show up and we had some colosal, big shows. We had over 80 shows we could do. In some the law/good guys won and in some the outlaws/bad guys won. Things were good while we worked for and the park was owned/managed by Premier Parks and Gary Story. They then sold out to Six Flags and the managemnet changed and the philosophy of the shows changed. No longer were the outlaws/bad guys to win in a gunfight/stunt show. Within a couple of years Colonel Colt's was out and they went to hiring college kids to do comedy type gunfights. It was great while it lasted. Great times and good memories with many good folks. p.s. The pic from above was probably from the 60's. As you can see, most of the guys in the pic are not in totally authentic clothing and gear. By the 80's and Colonel Colt's days, everything we wore had to be authentic and period attire. I also should add, that is where I met my wife. I was a gunfighter in the gunfight/stunt shows and she was a singer/dancer in the music hall/saloon shows.

We would have been out there about the same time. I worked in games and then dj'd at rock mountain summer 84 and then ran the fireworks show the summer of 85. Gary and premier parks were still running everything and we had a lot of fun those two summers.

Bear
04-15-2015, 06:38 AM
I worked there for several years about the time you have referred to and was involved in the founding o
f Col. Colt's Co. I may know you.

SOONER8693
04-15-2015, 08:10 AM
I worked there for several years about the time you have referred to and was involved in the founding o
f Col. Colt's Co. I may know you.
Yes Bear, I know you. I won't give my real name, but, my show name was Jake McAlister. I was Mike Adkins/Ike Claburne's sidekick/best friend. Mike got me started with Col. Colt's in the summer of '82. Mike and I taught together for 23 yrs and were best friends for 32 yrs. You probably know that Mike passed away about 6 years ago from cancer. Those were great times with great/good people at FC. The parties at the Big House/Bunk House were epic.

Bear
04-15-2015, 11:06 AM

William Koch, Billionaire Brother Of Charles And David Koch, Builds His Own Private Old West Town (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/william-koch-billionaire-_n_1819744.html)

I don't remember it burning for real, but there was a covered wagon up front (visible from I-35) with 3 "flaming" arrows sticking up out of the top. It was there for years and it looked pretty real after dark.

okatty
04-18-2015, 04:08 PM
My memories of Springlake are more vivid than FCity. But yes, the gunfights were cool and recall those! Enjoyed reading the recollections here. Thanks for the memories!

ctchandler
04-18-2015, 04:23 PM
My memories of Springlake are more vivid than FCity.

Okatty,
I spent much more time at Springlake. I loved the swimming pool with the huge slide, the Big Dipper of course, and the Fun House. And I saw Marty Robbins and and several others who's names escape me at the moment.
C. T.

SOONER8693
04-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Okatty,
I spent much more time at Springlake. I loved the swimming pool with the huge slide, the Big Dipper of course, and the Fun House. And I saw Marty Robbins and and several others who's names escape me at the moment.
C. T.
I loved Springlake as a youngster. The Big Dipper and the Fun House were the best. At about the age of 7 or 8, I went with my parents and older brother and his wife to see Johnny Cash there. Johnny Cash was a rock and roller at that time. I think his big hit at that time was "Ring of Fire".

okatty
04-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Okatty,
C. T.

Yes, C.T. - Big Dipper and Fun House were GREAT! Lincoln Park golf early in the day and Spring Lake later was pure heaven for me at about 12 when we'd come up to the big city!

mkjeeves
04-19-2015, 08:58 PM
We had family reunions at the covered pavilion at Spring Lake and visited it regularly otherwise too. Loved the slide in the funhouse, the arcade and the coaster.

Reading the history upthread of Frontier City, I see it was the child of Jimmy Burge. In the 80's there was a guy named John Burge who participated in the gunfights. Anyone know if there was a relationship between the two?

Bear
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
I was told a few days ago that Jim Rollins is no longer with us. Do you know if that's true? I saw him last at Whit Edwards' funeral in Sept. 2013. He was having difficulty breathing and left in an ambulance, but I understand he was back home in short order. I have heard from several Frontier City alumni since then and can't imagine nobody letting me know. I've known Jim since 1972.

Just the facts
04-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I got engaged at FC on the old Ferris Wheel in August '92.

SOONER8693
04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
I was told a few days ago that Jim Rollins is no longer with us. Do you know if that's true? I saw him last at Whit Edwards' funeral in Sept. 2013. He was having difficulty breathing and left in an ambulance, but I understand he was back home in short order. I have heard from several Frontier City alumni since then and can't imagine nobody letting me know. I've known Jim since 1972.
Bear, I've not heard that about Jim. I would be shocked if he had passed and no one notified me. I did not know of Whit's passing and funeral until about a month ago. I must be out of the loop. I will have my wife check with Bobby Garrett about Jim. My wife and Bobby graduated from Del City High in the same year.

SOONER8693
04-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Bear, I've not heard that about Jim. I would be shocked if he had passed and no one notified me. I did not know of Whit's passing and funeral until about a month ago. I must be out of the loop. I will have my wife check with Bobby Garrett about Jim. My wife and Bobby graduated from Del City High in the same year.
Bear, my wife talked to Bobby. Jim is still among the living. As you know his eye sight is almost completely gone. Bobby is living with Jim and Linda to help out since Jim is not good. But, he is still with us.