View Full Version : Aldi / Trader Joe's

Hondo1
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Just came from a shopping trip to Aldi. Commented to an employee that I really liked the organic products they have been featuring over the past few weeks and that I hoped they would continue carrying them on a regular basis (doubtful as they offer these on only an irregular basis). He said many customers have expressed the same and maybe they would regularly carry them as "several big names in the company have been here this week and they're looking at putting in more stores." Not sure what this might lead to but in addition to the small stores we have here, Aldi also has very large stores, so maybe they're talking about more smaller stores, or...maybe they're considering the larger markets...or, maybe they're ascertaining the viability of a Trader Joe's as, if I'm correct, Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by the Albrecht Corporation. Don't know what this means but maybe there's a glimmer of hope that we're getting closer to what? More smaller Aldis, larger Aldis, or maybe a Trader Joe's?

MDot
01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
It's no secret that Trader Joe's wants to open a store here. They've supposedly been scouting for a location since last year. Hope this is a sign that they're closer to starting construction on a TJ pretty soon if Aldi and Trader Joe's are indeed owned by the same company.

Soonerman
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Wonder if they will be allowed to sell wine??

ljbab728
01-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Wonder if they will be allowed to sell wine??

Not unless the state law gets changed.

bchris02
01-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Trader Joe's has great cheap beer and wine, but I don't think they will be able to sell any of it in Oklahoma unless the law gets changed. I'm not sure if their beers come in 3.2 varieties.

Bunty
01-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Just came from a shopping trip to Aldi. Commented to an employee that I really liked the organic products they have been featuring over the past few weeks and that I hoped they would continue carrying them on a regular basis (doubtful as they offer these on only an irregular basis). He said many customers have expressed the same and maybe they would regularly carry them as "several big names in the company have been here this week and they're looking at putting in more stores." Not sure what this might lead to but in addition to the small stores we have here, Aldi also has very large stores, so maybe they're talking about more smaller stores, or...maybe they're considering the larger markets...or, maybe they're ascertaining the viability of a Trader Joe's as, if I'm correct, Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by the Albrecht Corporation. Don't know what this means but maybe there's a glimmer of hope that we're getting closer to what? More smaller Aldis, larger Aldis, or maybe a Trader Joe's?

Aldi will be opening a store in Stillwater later this year. Don't know size of store. It was attracted by a local tax incentive.

ljbab728
01-27-2013, 12:40 AM
I've been in an Aldi store once and never had a desire to go back.

mcca7596
01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Aldis are not visually appealing on the inside (perhaps in a 80s/90s Germanic/Scandinavian modern way), but they have some interesting international brands and a fair amount of natural/organic products.

kevinpate
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
We don't have an Aldi in Norman, nor a WF, nor a QT, nor an Avalon Supper Club, circa 1980. Only the last one has ever really caused me any sadness.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
If they open an Aldi in Norman, I would suggest you avoid disappointment by not visiting it.
(somehow, the one and only time i went in the one on N. Penn, it seemed like the type of place The Soup Nazi would be running if he got tired of selling soup.)

If they ever open a "Seeds" (that is, the next logical progression in the devolutionary process from "Sunflower" to "Sprout" to . . .) it is worth a visit.

bombermwc
01-28-2013, 07:12 AM
I've been very happy with the Aldi in MWC. No, you probably haven't ever heard of most of the brands in there, but that doesn't mean the food isn't good. Not everything is good, just like any grocery store. But you can come out with a lot more food for a lot less, and a better quality product than say WalMart or Crest. I'm looking #1 at produce.

Some major difference in Aldi and what you're probably used to:
1 - You do things yourself, which is why it can be cheaper. They don't have the overhead of sackers, cart-jockies, etc.
2 - You get your cart with your quarter, you get your quarter when you put it back. BEST IDEA EVER! I HATE people who leave their cart in the middle of a parking lot, you lazy crapfaces.
3 - You do sack it yourself. And since you pay extra for bags, it's a great incentive to get yourself some re-useable bags....again, what a concept folks. You go to the grocery store every week....why not get some? At Aldi, they're $1, not $4 like they are at other stores.

If you watch their ads, you'll also be pleasantly surprised with the variety...especially in the flex spaces. Check out the freezer section and look at the awesome stuff. Where else can you get lobster tails for that price?

Now if you dont like it, ok that's fine. I'm not going to shove it in your face or anything. But i would encourage you to go if you haven't been. I think you would be AMAZED at the savings, without a loss of quality. And in some instances, it's better.

Larry OKC
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
I go to Aldi from time to time but have ALWAYS been disappointed with the quality of the produce. They will have really good prices on some stuff but the quality is so bad it isnt worth buying. i take a pic of the price and go to Walmart and they will do a price match. Often the same "brands" but much better in size & quality.

soonermike81
01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Trader Joe's stores are owned by Aldi, but they are owned by Theo Albrecht. Theo owns Aldi North and Karl owns Aldi South. They operate independently from each other, and they do not enter into each other's markets. Aldi USA is a part of Aldi South, and has no affiliation with Trader Joe's. Not only that, but they have completely different philosophies regarding operations. So, if Trader Joe's is planning to expand into OKC, it will have nothing to do with the Aldi stores we currently have. Nor will any of those employees have direct knowledge of TJ expansion. Also, Aldi does not operate very large stores in other markets. Some stores may be slightly bigger than others but not by much. All Aldi stores in the US are anywhere from 4-6 aisles, and the ones that have 6 aisles are not as deep. They usually have around 10,000 square feet of sales floor space, give or take a couple of of hundred. Just throwing in my two cents.

zookeeper
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Trader Joe's stores are owned by Aldi, but they are owned by Theo Albrecht. Theo owns Aldi North and Karl owns Aldi South. They operate independently from each other, and they do not enter into each other's markets. Aldi USA is a part of Aldi South, and has no affiliation with Trader Joe's. Not only that, but they have completely different philosophies regarding operations. So, if Trader Joe's is planning to expand into OKC, it will have nothing to do with the Aldi stores we currently have. Nor will any of those employees have direct knowledge of TJ expansion. Also, Aldi does not operate very large stores in other markets. Some stores may be slightly bigger than others but not by much. All Aldi stores in the US are anywhere from 4-6 aisles, and the ones that have 6 aisles are not as deep. They usually have around 10,000 square feet of sales floor space, give or take a couple of of hundred. Just throwing in my two cents.

Aldi and Trader Joe's are in many markets together. Kansas City, Chicago and lots more. I was curious and looked it up and Trader Joe's is in Houston and Aldi announced 2 months ago they're opening 30 stores in Houston.

In other words, Trader Joe's and Aldi can be in Oklahoma City together, just like the other cities.

soonermike81
01-31-2013, 02:39 AM
Aldi and Trader Joe's are in many markets together. Kansas City, Chicago and lots more. I was curious and looked it up and Trader Joe's is in Houston and Aldi announced 2 months ago they're opening 30 stores in Houston.

In other words, Trader Joe's and Aldi can be in Oklahoma City together, just like the other cities.

I guess I should have been more specific in trying to make my point. Aldi North and Aldi South will never enter into each other's market. The brothers operate 2 different Aldis, and those stores will never be in the same market together. Theo purchased Trader Joe's after they had already been established, and way after the brothers created Aldi. Since Trader Joe's and Aldi arent truly direct competitors of each other, they are in many of the same markets together. And I'm not certain, but I believe Theo purchased Trader Joe's around the same time that Karl established the first Aldi.

GQofOklahoma
01-31-2013, 03:47 AM
I have a friend that works for the company, and she told me last week that they are looking into Downtown/Bricktown or Nichols Hills, FWIW.

soonermike81
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
And I'm not certain, but I believe Theo purchased Trader Joe's around the same time that Karl established the first Aldi.

I meant when Karl established the first US Aldi.

bombermwc
02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I go to Aldi from time to time but have ALWAYS been disappointed with the quality of the produce. They will have really good prices on some stuff but the quality is so bad it isnt worth buying. i take a pic of the price and go to Walmart and they will do a price match. Often the same "brands" but much better in size & quality.

That's interesting since i just commented on how it's so much better than Crest or Wal Mart, and much cheaper.

ereid
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Aldi is coming to Norman. It is going in by Whataburger. For what it's worth, I love going to Aldi's anytime I am entertaining. I can get Carr's crackers a lot cheaper and from time to time they have a decent selection of cheese.

Larry OKC
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
bombermwc: that has just been my experience with the 3 Aldi's I have been to (Memorial & Penn, NW Expressway and SW 59th & Penn). Cheaper yes, quality no. Produce is the only issue that I have had with them. Have been pleased overall with all other products (dry, frozen, canned etc)

RadicalModerate
02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
http://t.fod4.com/t/5f1787a578/c480x270_25.jpg
so . . . jist how cheap is them frozen lobster tails at Aldi?
('n is they "Rock" Lobsters or real lobsters? =)

zookeeper
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
So many people don't give Aldi a chance. I love the store and agree though that produce should probably be bought elsewhere. But the canned and packaged goods that we call staple items are dynamite deals. Read this from Aldi, they say just how it is - ALDI - Do The Math (http://aldi.us/us/html/company/shopping_smarter_3212_ENU_HTML.htm)

bombermwc
02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Hm, i guess the one in MWC and the one in Moore get a better stock of produce than the other stores then. Those are the only two I've been in, so i can't speak to the others.

Bunty
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Article on Aldi's coming to Stillwater: Grocery store chain coming to Stillwater - ocolly.com : Stillwater (http://www.ocolly.com/news/stillwater/article_8467a718-6c04-11e2-818f-0019bb30f31a.html)