View Full Version : Water Consumption?

bucktalk
01-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm greatly concerned we are in deeper trouble than we realize with the severity of the drought continuing. As I was out and about today I noticed several water sprinklers throwing out precious water only to keep winter grass green??? I began to wonder what limits, realistically, would there actually be regarding water rationing?

No lawn/yard sprinklers?
No car washes?
No water recreational pools/parks?
No water served at restaurants?

Where does most of our water consumption take place?

Easy180
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Look for odd/even flushing to begin by May

Snowman
01-26-2013, 06:05 PM
If the soda served at restaurants comes from our local bottler then it would be better to not stop serving water in restaurants, while it should vary by brand, it can take up to 33 gallons of water in the production of what will fill a 16 oz glass.

ljbab728
01-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm greatly concerned we are in deeper trouble than we realize with the severity of the drought continuing. As I was out and about today I noticed several water sprinklers throwing out precious water only to keep winter grass green??? I began to wonder what limits, realistically, would there actually be regarding water rationing?

No lawn/yard sprinklers?
No car washes?
No water recreational pools/parks?
No water served at restaurants?

Where does most of our water consumption take place?

I'm not defending those who might be watering grass this winter but to keep grass healthy it also needs some water in the winter when it's brown.
I don't know now how you could justify totally putting car wash owners out of business but banning washing cars in your yard might be viable.
Banning water served at restaurants wouldn't make a blip on the water conservation screen. You would also have to ban tea and anything else that involved water or ice. That just doesn't make sense. It would only be a feel good statement to say look what we're doing.

Questor
01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Many metro communities are already under water restrictions... I think much stricter ones (like all out watering bans) than what we have in the summer, if I remember correctly.

bucktalk
01-27-2013, 07:00 AM
My concern is if we go to a 'even/odd' watering rationing format - will that we enough to curtail a water shortage crisis? What if this drought weather pattern is in a 10 year cycle? If it is how would we prepare for it? I have my doubts that 'even/odd' rationing will be enough to curtail the amount of water we might need.

law
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Brown grass and dormant trees do need some water, but not very much and nothing like the amount delivered by an automatic sprinkler system.

What about the businesses in Canton and surrounding communities? Don't they deserve the same consideration as car washes in OKC? And yes, car washes are a much more efficient way to wash your car.

We often visit areas much more water challenged than OK. Restaurants there do not automatically serve water to everyone at the table. They are happy to provide water for anyone who requests it. It saves a lot of water, not only ice and water poured down the drain, but water to wash unused glasses.

The current water restrictions odd/even days do not save water, those restrictions simply spread peak use. It does place water issues in the public eye. OKC officials were not talking to the public about the seriousness of the situation. They are still downplaying the problem.

What if this drought weather pattern is in a 10 year cycle? Isn't it better to conserve now, and try to save and protect all water assets for as long as possible, rather than continue on the current use trend, and then, shock and surprise! No water.

Isn't it better to err on the side of too much water conservation, rather than not conserve enough?

ljbab728
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Brown grass and dormant trees do need some water, but not very much and nothing like the amount delivered by an automatic sprinkler system.

We often visit areas much more water challenged than OK. Restaurants there do not automatically serve water to everyone at the table. They are happy to provide water for anyone who requests it. It saves a lot of water, not only ice and water poured down the drain, but water to wash unused glasses.

For your first point, that depends entirely on how often the sprinkler system is used.

As for water in restaurants, it is my experience that most here in OKC do not automatically serve water. Depending on the circumstances, sometimes I request it and sometimes I don't. If I'm having a glass of wine I also like a side glass of water. If I'm having tea or a soft drink, I don't. It's not really an issue.

Bunty
01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
For your first point, that depends entirely on how often the sprinkler system is used.

As for water in restaurants, it is my experience that most here in OKC do not automatically serve water. Depending on the circumstances, sometimes I request it and sometimes I don't. If I'm having a glass of wine I also like a side glass of water. If I'm having tea or a soft drink, I don't. It's not really an issue.
I think the Picasso Cafe on Paseo does. Their macaroni and cheese is pretty good, because there's a lot more to it than just that.

NoOkie
01-28-2013, 08:09 AM
If the soda served at restaurants comes from our local bottler then it would be better to not stop serving water in restaurants, while it should vary by brand, it can take up to 33 gallons of water in the production of what will fill a 16 oz glass.

Are you sure about that figure? When I home brew, I probably use 15-20 gallons of water to produce 5 gallons of beer. Most of that used for cleaning and sanitizing. I can't imagine soda would have a much greater ratio.

Snowman
01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Are you sure about that figure? When I home brew, I probably use 15-20 gallons of water to produce 5 gallons of beer. Most of that used for cleaning and sanitizing. I can't imagine soda would have a much greater ratio.

I do not know how it was calculated so I take it with a grain of salt but I have seen similar huge numbers by a different source when calculating what goes in to a 2 liter as well.

bucktalk
01-28-2013, 06:07 PM
We wrongly assume that each time we open up our water tap that water will always flow freely as though it magically appears. The fact is unless the drought releases its grip on us or we truly see water conservation take place - there may come a day when water may not flow so freely. Yes?

law
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
We wrongly assume that each time we open up our water tap that water will always flow freely as though it magically appears. The fact is unless the drought releases its grip on us or we truly see water conservation take place - there may come a day when water may not flow so freely. Yes?

This is very true. Especially for some whose only water source is Hefner. I cannot speak for other parts of OKC whose water comes from other places like the Atoka pipeline. But for those completely dependent on Hefner, without rain, they may be in trouble in the near future.

With real conservation, and hopefully some rains, it may be possible to save Canton's water for a later, and maybe even greater need. But, to make this happen, OKC must start now.

Larry OKC
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Look for odd/even flushing to begin by May
I laughed but it isn't that bad of an idea...I know it sounds gross but if you only flushed when solid waste is involved, a lot of water would be saved...don't leave the water running when brushing your teeth...turning the water flow off in the shower while lathering up/washing your hair etc

...The current water restrictions odd/even days do not save water, those restrictions simply spread peak use. ...
To a certain degree you may be right, but I think odd/even does save water as folks with automatic sprinklers often have them set to water daily...by making it odd/even, it theoretically cuts their usage in half (unless they water twice as long on the days they are allowed). I do agree that the odd/even doesn't have near the impact during the winter as it would during the summer.

BBatesokc
02-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Somewhere I remember reading some article/study that showed sometimes that odd/even water rationing actually increased use because of some psychological effect...... "if its being rationed and I'm being restricted, I'd probably better be using it when I can" (though prior use was non-existent before the rationing). I guess sort of like when stores ration certain items and then everyone thinks they'd better buy them before they are gone.

I think price is a better influencer than most anything else. Make it more expensive and I'm going to do less of it.

Snowman
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Somewhere I remember reading some article/study that showed sometimes that odd/even water rationing actually increased use because of some psychological effect...... "if its being rationed and I'm being restricted, I'd probably better be using it when I can" (though prior use was non-existent before the rationing). I guess sort of like when stores ration certain items and then everyone thinks they'd better buy them before they are gone.

I think price is a better influencer than most anything else. Make it more expensive and I'm going to do less of it.

Till they did some upgrades the southwest corner of the city to get a larger percentage from Draper, it seemed like in half the odd/even day rationing in recent years a primary reason was peak demand flow rates were causing little flow in that area rather than a total lack of water, granted they were probably not far from calling them based on levels at Hefner anyway.

Larry OKC
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM

I can see how your 1st point is a distinct possibility. And I agree that price can definitely be a motivator. Think it was this past year where the City raised the rates and then when demand lessened, they tacked on a low water usage fee to the bill to make up for the lost revenue!