View Full Version : Memorial and Penn update

Patrick
08-30-2004, 05:58 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Circuit City is locating next to Super Target on Memorial Road, and Best Buy is locating next to Gordman's in the old Target store.

Two new stores were announced over the weekend.

Aldi, the German store chain with stores down south and on NW Expressway, is locating across from Wal-Mart Super Center on Penn and Memorial.

Fireside Mountain restaurant is locating on a pad on the premises of the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Penn and Memorial. The building is almost complete and should be open soon.

okcpulse
08-31-2004, 01:42 AM
Thank you, Patrick. I'll relay that to my family when they get here in less than four weeks.

Patrick
08-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Here's an article revealing more info on the Memorial Square Development. Looks like a new Italian restaurant (new to the market) will be added (boy we have a lot of new Italian restaurants coming to the OKC market, as I mentioned the other one coming to the Penn Square site). I like the concept that's designed....all of the restaurants overlooking a center courtyard area. Also, a not yet named steak place will be added. I tend to wonder if this will be another Shake n Steak, or whatever they're called (mranderson would know what I'm talking about). They seem to be sprouting up around strip malls around the country.

"Activity progressing at shopping center
By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

P.F. Chang’s China Bistro’s signature white horses are the newest sign of change in the Memorial Square Shopping Center on the northeast corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Memorial Road.
The horses arrived Monday at the site where P.F. Chang’s is building its first Oklahoma City restaurant.

Construction in the center of a Bravo! Cucina Italiana restaurant will begin in October.

A Circuit City store already is under construction in the complex. A third free-standing restaurant - a to-be-named steak eatery - and between 15 and 20 tenants also are planned for the 100,000 square feet of retail space, said developer Tom Blanton of Blanton Property Co.

The redevelopment takes the place of a building that once housed an AMC movie theater, a Black-eyed Pea restaurant and various retail shops. That building met the wrecking ball in late 2003.

Blanton said he struggled to find a use for the original building but eventually was convinced a complete redesign would breathe the most life into the area.

Blanton is developing the property with Sam Hunsaker of Dallas. Construction is financed by MidFirst Bank.

“This will be a positive for Oklahoma City,” Blanton said.

P.F. Chang’s spokeswoman Laura Cherry said about $2.4 million will be invested in the 7,600-square-foot Oklahoma City restaurant, which will seat 166 in the dining room, 41 in the bar and 40 on the patio.

The Scottsdale, Ariz.-based restaurant will be open for lunch and dinner, and employ about 150 people, Cherry said.

The 8,600-square-foot Bravo! Cucina Italiana will seat 284 between an interior dining room and bar and two outdoor terraces, Blanton said.

Nicole Roope, spokeswoman for Bravo Development Inc., said the restaurant will carry an ancient Roman temple theme. It will be open for lunch and dinner, and carries a full children’s menu. The restaurant also offers catering and private party capabilities.

The three restaurants each will have outdoor seating overlooking a courtyard centered by a fire and water fountain, Blanton said. Valet parking will be available, he said.

P.F. Chang’s and Circuit City expect to open by mid-December. Bravo! plans to open by March. Completion of the development is targeted for fall 2005, Blanton said.

Jim Thompson, president of New Century Investments Inc., recently opened a La Quinta Inn & Suites on Memorial Road and is surrounded by new restaurants and office buildings. He said the redesigned Memorial Square will be a welcome addition to the busy corridor.

“The more variety the better. I’m sure a lot of people who stay with us will be glad,” Thompson said. "