View Full Version : Outlaw Pit Bulls?

Patrick
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
One lawmaker, seeing pitt bulls as nothing more than agressive, is wanting to porpose a law which would ban pitt bulls rom the state of Oklahoma.

What do you think?

-------------
"Legislator speaks out against pit bull terriers

By Robert Medley
The Oklahoman

MOORE - Pit bull terrier dogs are "Frankenstein canines" that should be banned or heavily regulated, a state leader told the city council Monday.

State Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, appeared before the council to encourage the passage of an ordinance patterned after stiff regulations in effect in the city of Denver.

The legislator, who just completed his first regular session, said he hopes to introduce legislation when the new session starts in February that would ban the breed statewide.

He said he feels some urgency to get the legislation passed after the June 12 pit bull terrier mauling of Cody Yelton, 3, in Moore. Cody's arm had to be amputated after the attack.

"This is my constituent," Wesselhoft said. Cody lives part of the time with his father in Moore and part of the time with his mother in Jones.

"We're very fortunate that this young boy lived," Wesselhoft said. He said 12 children die each year in the United States from pit bull terrier attacks.

When this breed was developed, "someone broke a moral law," Wesselhoft said. "When it bites, it does not let go ... it tears, it bites."

Passage of an ordinance by the city of Moore would give some momentum for his proposed legislation, Wesselhoft said.

Denver's ordinance requires pit bull terrier dogs to be neutered or spayed, have rabies shots, and be confined in an enclosure that is impenetrable to children, Wesselhoft said. Chain-link fencing with openings large enough for a child's arm is not allowed, he said.

The dogs' owners, who must be at least 21 years old, are required to carry $100,000 in liability insurance, Wesselhoft said.

The owners are required to pay an annual $50 registration fee and muzzle the dogs each time they are out in public on a leash, Wesselhoft said.

Wesselhoft said Denver's ordinance has withstood court challenges in the state of Colorado.

Wesselhoft said he has found support for his legislation from postal carriers, meter readers and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. He said the OSBI has observed that pit bull terriers are popular with drug dealers.

However, some owners are "innocently ignorant of how this dog can turn on them," Wesselhoft said.

City Manager Steve Eddy said officials are researching whether they can pass such an ordinance. Moore is a home rule charter city, which may give it more leeway in passing a more restrictive ordinance he said.

He noted that a state law is on the books prohibiting cities from passing breed-specific ordinances.

However, Midwest City has an ordinance prohibiting ownership of purebred pit bull terriers, an official there said. "

Patrick
06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Pit bull terriers
LATEST NEWS: State Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, encouraged the Moore City Council to regulate ownership of pit bull terriers.

BACKGROUND: Cody Yelton, 3, was mauled by four pit bull terriers June 12 in Moore.

WHAT'S NEXT: Wesselhoft hopes to introduce legislation that would ban the breed.

mranderson
06-22-2005, 11:07 AM
A friend of mine (two in fact) have Pits. They are among the most gentle dogs I have met. In fact, Charley (the one I know best) will walk up to people just if he was a Poodle or something and ask to play. He loves to frolick in the park, chase the birds, and do... Well, dog things. I don't think he would attack unless he was highly prevoked.

The other is affraid of the seven year old Beagle he lives with. He too is as gentle as a Lamb.

Dogs are as mean as the owner lets them be. Yes, like humans, there are some that have mental illnesses, however, the majority of Pits are gentle. They get a VERY bad rap.

What about that occasional Poodle that turns into an attack Poodle. Or that other small dog. Would you ban them? No. It is unfair to single out a breed.

Write this legislator... And tell them about Charley and his other friends. I would hate to see this lovable dog killed just because he happens to be a Pit Bull. That is doggie discrimination pure and simple.

"THAT AIN'T RIGHT!" Quote from Chris Rock in "Head of State."

Karried
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
When this breed was developed, "someone broke a moral law," Wesselhoft said. "When it bites, it does not let go ... it tears, it bites."

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws.

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Why do we have some of the most uneducated people representing our state? Couldn't he have done some research? Google takes two seconds. Yes Pit Bulls do have a strong jaw and a horrible bite but they can let go, they just might not want to.

You can't generalize about all dogs - however, having said that, I do fear these dogs - a 12 year old was just killed in SF last month by his family pet - a Pit Bull. So, when it comes to my kids, I wouldn't pick this breed although they rate lower on the safety scale compared to some other breeds.

I personally think the gangbangers walking around and beating and training these poor dogs should be kicked out the state before the dogs are and they need to carry insurance on themselves and wear a muzzle, but that's just my opinion.

mranderson
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws.

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Why do we have some of the most uneducated people representing our state? Couldn't he have done some research? Google takes two seconds. Yes Pit Bulls do have a strong jaw and a horrible bite but they can let go, they just might not want to.

You can't generalize about all dogs - however, having said that, I do fear these dogs - a 12 year old was just killed in SF last month by his family pet - a Pit Bull. So, when it comes to my kids, I wouldn't pick this breed although they rate lower on the safety scale compared to some other breeds.

I personally think the gangbangers walking around and beating and training these poor dogs should be kicked out the state before the dogs are and they need to carry insurance on themselves and wear a muzzle, but that's just my opinion.

I understand your concern, However, you should meet Charley one day. He is a gentle giant of a Pitt.

Karried
06-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't mind meeting Charley, however, even the word 'giant' with or without gentle, makes me really want to not expose my kids to a pit bull. I've heard too many stories about pit bulls, and although I think banning them from the state is just as insane as cock fighting gloves, I will never trust these dogs around small children.

June 4 (AP) — A mother in San Francisco is blaming herself for her son's death. One of the family's own pit bulls attacked and killed her boy.

It was a mauling so horrible, officers that responded to the home are haunted by what they saw.

The dog attack happened in the city's Inner Sunset district inside an apartment at Lincoln Way and Eighth Avenue. A police officer and a woman tried to console the mother of a 12-year-old boy mauled to death inside their own home. The family owned two pit bulls as family pets and investigators say for whatever reason, one - if not both of them - went on the attack.

( But I still believe that gangs and druggies abuse these animals and use them for dog fights and intimidation - they only perpetrate the scary image they have. )

Faith
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
I believe that not all pit bulls are violent. But how would you know if one day they might all of a sudden turn and attack a child or even an adult. I know people who have pit bulls as well, and I know that I would never allow my children around them. It just isn't worth the chance that the pit may be having a bad day and take it out on my child. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I could have prevented that by keeping my kids away from them in the first place. As far as outlawing... maybe not going that far, but ordinances similar to the city of Denver would be reassuring to me as a parent.

mranderson
06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
This is a letter I am about to write concerning this very bad bill.

"Dear, Rep. Wesselhoft:

I am writing to ask you to reconsider your planned introduction of the bill to ban
Pit Bulls.

Let me introduce you to Charley. He is a Pit Bull owned by a friend of mine. Charley
is a very gentle dog who's love for people is very high. His owner and I will walk
in a park, and Charley will run and frolic among the trees, find people to pet him,
and do. Well, Dog things. The first time I saw him, I patted him on the head and he
didn't move once. In fact, he licked my hand.

Another Pit is one currently in the custody of another friend of mine. His attitude
is a lot like Charley except he is in need of training in some areas. He is still a
gentle dog, who enjoys the company of people. In fact, the humerus thing, is he is
afraid of the seven year old Beagle that lives with him. Does that sound like the
Pit Bull that your bill portrays? I think not.

I have met several Pitt Bulls over the years and only met one that displayed a close
temperament to the image the bill is conveying. This particular dog did kill his
canine house mate, however, after it was euthanized, the owner found by autopsy the
fact the dog was mentally ill.

If you will search the INTERNET, you will find clinical evidence that the jaw
strength of the Pitt Bull is not pr oven to be as portrayed by these attacks. The
dog has the capability of releasing their jaws. It was a study by a Dr. Brisbin.

Any breed of dog can turn violent. It is not the breed, it is the owner. At times,
all be it a small number, there are the dogs who develop severe mental problems,
thus creating the violence.

I have personally been chased by a Poodle, Pomeranian, and some other small breeds.
As a child, I had a long haired Lab who had been teased by a large number of
neighborhood kids. He was driven to bite three of them, so we gave him away. He was
later declared vicious and euthanized by court order.

In short, any breed of dog can attack people and even be deadly.

I feel this would be a very bad law, and discriminate against some very loving and
kind animals. It is over reaction by a small group of people.

I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter."

Keith
06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
I believe that not all pit bulls are violent. But how would you know if one day they might all of a sudden turn and attack a child or even an adult. I know people who have pit bulls as well, and I know that I would never allow my children around them. It just isn't worth the chance that the pit may be having a bad day and take it out on my child. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I could have prevented that by keeping my kids away from them in the first place. As far as outlawing... maybe not going that far, but ordinances similar to the city of Denver would be reassuring to me as a parent.
I agree. I have seen many happy pit bulls, however, they are so unpredictable. There have been too many cases where dogs have attacked people for no reason, and it always seems to be a pit bull that does it. I don't ever want to own one, or even be around one.

escan
06-23-2005, 09:32 AM
I grew up with Pitt Bull Terriers. They can be some of the most gentle, loyal dogs ever. They are not any more unpredictable than any other breed of dog. No child should ever be left alone with ANY dog; Yorkie, Lab, or Pitt Bull Terriers. All dogs are considered "unpredictable" around children. They could feel threatened by their size or a child may touch them in a way that makes the animal uncomfortable.

Each dog is a product of its environment. If a dog is shown love, respect and appropriate boundries, it will respond in kind. We shouldn't blame any dog breed for these tragedies (and they are very tragic), instead the blame is on the owners of the dogs for how they are brought up and the parents of the children who left them alone with these animals. In the case where the 12 year old was killed, the mother actually locked her 12 year old in the basement to keep it away from the dog. Was that a good decision or good parenting?

I just hate to see one breed of animal villified. It's unfortunately a knee-jerk reaction to very tragic circumstances.

Karried
06-23-2005, 11:44 AM
That is truly an excellent point. No child should ever be left alone with a dog - any breed has the tendency to overeact if cornered or threatened and a child is the perfect size. I had a German Shepherd that reached out and bit my neighbor's daughter ( age 4) in the stomach while on the leash, no provocation, thank God she was okay.

Regarding the mom who left her child, I can't believe that if the mom felt so threatened to begin with she would ever have left the home with her child in the basement??

I also agree that it is unfair to single out a breed - unfortunately the media picks up on pit bull attacks and tends to sensationalize the story.

I just heard another story today of a 5 year old who was attacked this week here in OK. The uncle stabbed the dog 7 times - why was the dog off his leash is the question?

mranderson
06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I urge everyone to write the Rep who wants this bill and ask him NOT to introduce this bill. It is not fair. What is next? Banning Poodles?

escan
06-24-2005, 07:56 AM
The police have charged the woman who left her child alone in the basement. She is to blame.....it's so awful.

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy fatally mauled by the family's pit bulls was charged Thursday with child endangerment.

Nicholas Faibish was killed June 3 by one or both of the family dogs when his mother went out to run errands.

Maureen Faibish, 39, found her son in a bedroom, covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

One of the dogs was shot and killed by a police officer shortly after the attack. The other remains in animal control custody.

"His parent made the decision to leave (Nicholas) alone in a situation that endangered his life and ultimately led to his death," prosecutor Kamala Harris said in a statement.

Maureen Faibish told the San Francisco Chronicle she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him. She said the male dog was acting possessively because the female was in heat.

An arraignment will be scheduled for next week. Faibish faces a maximum ten years in prison if convicted.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Faith
06-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I seen on the news last night where Animal Control stated that the pit bull breed isn't their biggest problem when it comes to vicious attacks. According to AC pit bulls only account for 15% of dog attacks in Oklahoma.

mranderson
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
I seen on the news last night where Animal Control stated that the pit bull breed isn't their biggest problem when it comes to vicious attacks. According to AC pit bulls only account for 15% of dog attacks in Oklahoma.

That has been our point all along. A lot of people hear about these attacks, which are reported on the news as being one specific breed, and they get the idea that all dogs of that breed (or what they THINK is that breed) are vicious.

Just imagine what you would think if someone tried to outlaw your race because most crime reports on the news just happened to include members of it. Think about that.

windowphobe
06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
"Pit bull" is a flag these days. Most other breeds, or good old-fashioned mutts, get no news coverage, but if it's a pit bull, or is slightly related to a pit bull, suddenly you have a story.

I used to know a thoroughly unpleasant Pomeranian. He couldn't do too much damage, but he threw himself wholeheartedly into taking chunks out of passersby. You won't see Poms on Eyewitless News, though.

mranderson
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
"Pit bull" is a flag these days. Most other breeds, or good old-fashioned mutts, get no news coverage, but if it's a pit bull, or is slightly related to a pit bull, suddenly you have a story.

I used to know a thoroughly unpleasant Pomeranian. He couldn't do too much damage, but he threw himself wholeheartedly into taking chunks out of passersby. You won't see Poms on Eyewitless News, though.

Yet again, our point.

Jay
06-24-2005, 10:50 PM
In my opinion as far as the situation with Moore kid is concerned, both parties were at fault. Responsible dog ownership means you make good on bad deeds performed by your dog. You also alert your neighbors to the fact that you have potentially viscious dogs. So that they know to keep young kids away.

The parent should have been supervising the three year old. The dog was not the only danger in the yard. I am sure their were plenty of other hazards in that yard. Who in their right leaves a small child unsupervised.

mranderson
07-03-2005, 11:45 AM
In an article published today in the Sunday Oklahoman, State Representitive Paul Wesselhoft has admitted the problem with Pitt Bulls is NOT the breed, but the owners who teach these dogs to attack.

The paragraph is as follows:

"... The above story (he cited a case of attack) is factually based on newspaper accounts. A more recent stiory is also illustrative of how a loving and gentle creature can become a monster. Like Dr. Frankenstein, who pressed his skills too far, stepped over the line and broke a moral law, Pitt Bull breeders have intentionally or unintentionally created a monster."

Humm. I thought he said Pitt Bulls were born that way.

Representitve Wesselhoft, I suggest you get your story straight.

http://www.newsok.com/article/1542038/?template=news/main

mranderson
07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
The following is a letter written by a friend of mine concerning the Pitt issue. She has given me permission to post anything she has on the issue.

A better way to handle dog problem
In response to state Rep. Paul Wesselhoft (Opinion, July 3): Although I agree that steps must be taken to prevent another child from experiencing the horror Cody Yelton suffered on June 12, I would urge Yelton's parents to reconsider having a breed-specific bill named in honor of their son. Instead, I suggest endorsing a bill holding owners of dangerous dogs of any breed responsible for the actions of their animals. Breed specificity in such a bill won't stop the owners of such animals from abusing the privilege of pet ownership. It will only ensure that they'll find another large breed of dog to exploit. Then we'll be faced with the same dilemma again -- what to do about the newest "monster."

Why penalize responsible citizens of our state simply for owning a particular breed of dog? They should be held as examples for the community that owning an animal is a privilege. It entails responsibility to teach and nurture the animal in a safe, loving environment in which it can thrive -- not unlike raising a child. Support for a bill to hold the owners of any dangerous dog accountable will more effectively ensure that other families don't have to suffer the heartache that Cody's family has.

Kristi Walker, Oklahoma City

travich
07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm what people call a "pit bull apologist." I have two german shepherds and while they're big, scary dogs, they're much kinder and gentler than some of the smaller breeds that I've seen. (For some reason, I always think Chihuahua...).

That said, GSDs (German Shepherd Dogs) are just as dangerous and have been known to kill people. Same with rots. Why are these dogs not up for bannishment?

As I've said on other message boards, irresponsible owners produce irresponsible dogs. I would wager my house that my dogs wouldn't bite or attack any of you if I met you on the sidewalk. My dogs are well socialized and well taken care of...

I know this is kind of rambling... I just don't believe these dogs are the cause of the problem. Every story that I've heard, the owner knew the dogs was aggressive and did nothing about it. Or rather tried to mask the problem (by fencing them in the backyard, etc.) Any vet will tell you that at the first sign of aggression (growling, snipping, etc.) that you need to get help with your dog.

That's just my two cents...

travich
07-11-2005, 06:00 PM
aureen Faibish told the San Francisco Chronicle she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Case in point of my previous statement.

Karried
11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I've heard of quite a few recent attacks, regardless of what you feel about pits, please be aware that they can be very dangerous to children.

AURORA, Colo. -- Neighbors of a 10-year boy mauled by three dogs in his own back yard said he appears to be doing better.

One neighbor told 7NEWS that Gregg Jones Jr. is in critical but stable condition at Children's Hospital.

On the 911 calls, which were released publicly Thursday, you can hear the panic and the horror as neighbors tried to fight off the dogs as pit bulls continued to gnaw on the boy.

"There are three dogs attacking this little kid! There are three pit bulls, three big dogs attacking him!" said Jerrome Millard on one 911 call.

As dogs barked in the background, Millard told the dispatcher, "Hurry, hurry ... they won't let go. Ma'am, he's not going to last."

Millard called 911 while his sister, Tish, who happens to be in nursing school, ran to help the boy.

"Once we got the dogs away, I elevated his feet so blood could rush to his organs. I was surprised that he could respond to us when we were asking him questions," said Tish Millard.

The Millards and the other neighbors who used a baseball bat and big sticks to fight off the dogs, are being hailed as heroes.

"People keep saying that we did best we could ... but I want him to do the best he can, and if he survives, then I will feel much better," said Jerrome Millard.

The fourth-grader at Yale Elementary was bitten on his head, face, throat, chest, arms and legs.

Tish Millard visited Jones on Thursday at Children's Hospital. She said it was great to see him look so good the day after the brutal attack.

"I got chills because I was doubting myself, 'Maybe if I was a little bit earlier?' But now, seeing him, I was like, 'I did good.' It was good. I think he is going to be OK," said Tish Millard.

Two of the dogs involved in the attack Wednesday remain in quarantine at the Aurora animal shelter. The third was euthanized after being shot by police. Aurora police are continuing to conduct their investigation into the attack and have not determined whether charges would be filed against the child's parents or the owners of the dogs.

The attack came more than a week after the Aurora City Council banned new pit bulls and other fighting dogs.

Despite the mauling, some pit bull owners in Aurora say they will still ask the city to revisit its ban on the dogs.

Faith
11-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't just single out pit bulls. I keep my children away from any and all dogs that I don't personally know. I think all parents should be cautious and do the same.

sweetdaisy
11-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Wow. What's going on with the pit bulls recently? This was from Tuesday's (11/8) news:

CARY, Illinois (AP) -- A 10-year-old boy was in critical condition Sunday after three pit bulls escaped from a home and went on a rampage, attacking six people before police shot and killed the dogs, authorities said.
No charges had been filed Sunday, but McHenry County Sheriff Keith Nygren said it was being investigated as a crime scene.

Neighbors said the attacks started late Saturday afternoon when children going door-to-door for a fund-raiser arrived at the home of Scott Sword, 41, who owned the dogs.

"We had music playing, and I heard this bizarre sound," said Debby Rivera, who lives three houses away. "I looked out the window, and I saw a young boy. The dogs were just jumping on him."

"The screams were horrible," she said. The dogs were "relentless, like they were possessed."

The pit bulls attacked the two children, and when the dogs' owner tried to stop them, the dogs turned on him and bit off his thumb, Nygren said. The boy's father also tried to protect his son and was attacked. The dogs went after another neighbor as well.

"The scene sprawled over a couple blocks; it was a very chaotic scene," said Lt. Michael Douglas of the Cary Fire Protection District.

Residents threw rocks at the dogs and honked car horns to try to distract them from attacking before police arrived and shot the animals.

Jim Malone said he and a neighbor tried to beat the dogs back with baseball bats. "He'd hit them, they'd run, and they'd come back," Malone said. "This went on for 15 minutes."

The boy who was attacked, Nick Foley, was hospitalized in critical condition Sunday. His friend Jordan Lamarre, also 10, was in serious condition. Nick's father was listed in good condition. Sword and two others were treated for injuries and released.

Last week, another 10-year-old boy in Colorado was mauled by a pack of pit bulls that attacked him in his own back yard. The boy was in critical condition after the attack, and the hospital said Sunday his family had requested no further information about his condition be released.

The attack in the Denver suburb of Aurora came two days after the City Council banned pit bulls and other "fighting dogs." Owners who already had the dogs could keep them if they paid a $200 annual license fee.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/06/pit.bulls.ap/index.html