View Full Version : Luther Trent is retiring

Patrick
06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Hooray! For those that want a bigger, better, and expanded airport, Luther Trent, director of the airport trust is retiring. One can only hope he'll be replaced with someone with bigger and better plans for our airport.

I will give him some credit. The airport now is much nicer than the old facility. But, I still think we can do better, and think bigger.

----------
"OKC public works, airport chiefs plan to retire

By Steve Lackmeyer and Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Paul Brum, Oklahoma City's longest serving director of public works, and Luther Trent, director of the city's airports, announced Tuesday they will retire in September.
The announcements surprised city council members, and likely will lead to the hiring of outside leadership in both departments. Deputy officials in both departments have indicated they too are preparing for retirement.

Brum, who worked 45 years at City Hall, was named city engineer and public works director in 1987. He retires after overseeing construction of three consecutive record-setting public works bond issues and playing a key role in both MAPS and MAPS for Kids.

Trent, hired to the city's airport division in 1980, was named director in 1993 and has overseen a $100 million reconstruction and expansion of Will Rogers World Airport.

"Both Luther and Paul have left their mark on this city," City Manager Jim Couch said Tuesday. "They've seen us change and helped us grow into the thriving, vibrant city we have today. They will both be missed in many ways."

Trent's last day will be Sept. 15, and Brum's will be Sept. 30.

"I think both of these positions will attract talented people," Couch said.

Trent, 60, described his decision to retire as being "very difficult."

"It's been a marvelous career," Trent said. "Every day that I've gone to work, I've gone to work on the same floor of the same building for 25 years. I love airports and I love aviation."

Brum, 67, hinted at retirement during budget talks in March.

His involvement in the city's development included planning an extension of Classen Boulevard and other, related improvements to accommodate demolition of the abandoned Belle Isle Power Plant and construction of the Belle Isle Station shopping center in its place.

He also helped coordinate emergency responses to the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building and the May 1999 tornadoes that devastated south Oklahoma City.

In the combined position of city engineer and public works director, all public projects must be signed by Brum before construction can proceed.

"I hope we've built it into our budget," Councilman Jerry Foshee said. "When we get rid of Paul Brum we are probably going to have to hire four people because of the amount of work he does."

Brum was 22 when he sought his first job with Oklahoma City's engineering office. He wanted the job because he was unhappy about working Saturdays for a paving company.

Brum witnessed a rapid expansion of the city in the 1960s, when areas such as Quail Creek turned from a barren pasture to a tree-covered upscale neighborhood.

He has enjoyed the job, even while enduring criticism during the early slow-going days of MAPS, the city's downtown revitalization program.

"It's not often a city engineer gets to be involved in a program like that," Brum said. "You have heartburn and problems during construction, but you know what it's going to look like."

Brum is known for being able to immediately provide a status report on at least a dozen different major capital improvements.

"He bleeds Oklahoma City," Couch said. "He has really become an icon with the Public Works Department in Oklahoma City. Paul is going to be a very tough act to follow." "

mranderson
06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
What great news for a upsetting day! Now I will not have to call for his resigination.

Pete
06-22-2005, 12:29 PM
"...likely will lead to the hiring of outside leadership..."

I sure hope that proves to be the case. With a great foundation almost in place, it should be easy to recruit an agressive up-and-comer with fresh ideas.

brianinok
06-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Hopefully, they will go after the 2nd in command at a great, forward-thinking airport. Like Denver, Orlando, etc. Or Patrick! :)

mranderson
06-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Hopefully, they will go after the 2nd in command at a great, forward-thinking airport. Like Denver, Orlando, etc. Or Patrick! :)

Ooooo! Ooooo! Pick me! Pick me!:congrats: :bow:

On a serious note. We should all write the council and Mayor Cornett urging them to hire a forward thinker. One who has vision.

okcpulse
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I second that motion, mranderson.

Luke
06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Can you imagine someone with the forsight and vision to shove Will Rogers World Airport into a major player in the airline market? I think it's doable. It just has to be the right person... I mean, who would have thought to dig a canal downtown? Look at it now. We need someone like that.

mranderson
06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
This is the email I sent to Mick Cornett and most of the council.

Dear, Mayor Cornett:

I first would like to introduce myself. I am known as mranderson on OKCTalk.com.

It is a very high honor to have you as a viewer on our forum. It says we are being listened to, and that speaks a lot.

As you probably know, I have been lobbying via OKCTalk for quite some time (years, in fact) to gain a lot more gates for Will Rogers and establish Oklahoma City as a hub, with a second terminal feeding from SW 104. Some of the airlines I have suggested for this are Alaska, America West/US, JetBlue, and others.

I am among many people who feel Mr. Trent has not served this city well, and although I wish him well, feel his departure is way over due. We could have a crown jewel of a commercial airport if the trust would work on better service and a larger terminal. 17 gates is the least number of any city our size in the nation.

What I am laying the foundation for is this. I am suggesting a nationwide search for a replacement be launched with the criteria that he or she will openly work to bring Will Rogers to the size and standard of other cities our size, if not larger. And to work openly to obtain non stop service to every major city in the country, plus innerstate service, which I feel is badly needed. Oklahoma City has no routes to any cities in Oklahoma. We need those routes to cities such as Ponca City, Enid, Ardmore, Lawton, and others.

If we work to bring an airport director to Oklahoma City with experience with major airport management (cities such as Orlando, Atlanta, Denver, etc), I feel we can not only greatly improve our service, but bring many high quality companies with true living wages to our city.

Again. Thank you not only for your time and attention in this matter, but also with OKC Talk.

HOT ROD
06-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Ooooo! Ooooo! Pick me! Pick me!:congrats: :bow:

On a serious note. We should all write the council and Mayor Cornett urging them to hire a forward thinker. One who has vision.

ditto. and Hooray.

I am sooo glad luther is moving out. Thanks but no thanks.

I too hope they select someone from an established major airport with a mind for progress and a drive for success; someone who will act like a CEO, responsible for growing our airport and its business and being held accountable to US, the citizens of OKC (well, and a few outsiders like me).

What a Renaissance!!! Great News!!!

okcpulse
06-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Ciao, Luther Trent.

K, now, let's get back to work building a real airport.

OUman
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, let's hope for a bigger terminal, w/ the east concourse being built soon and better choice of airlines and n/s's.

But, I'm going to say this again, OKC does not need a second terminal. The existing terminal is made to be expanded. Airports don't build new terminals unless they're an absolute necessity.

OUman

mranderson
06-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Yes, let's hope for a bigger terminal, w/ the east concourse being built soon and better choice of airlines and n/s's.

But, I'm going to say this again, OKC does not need a second terminal. The existing terminal is made to be expanded. Airports don't build new terminals unless they're an absolute necessity.

OUman

OUman. We have discussed the need for a second terminal to death. I will say this one more time, then I request we get back on topic. This is about Luther Trent.

One last time. In the future, Oklahoma City WILL need a second terminal. You can only expand so far.

Now...

:backtotop

Patrick
06-23-2005, 02:42 PM
In recent discussions about the need for a 2nd terminal, it was pointed out that a 2nd terminal would only be needed for a hub operation. If we can't get an airline to sign on here and establish a hub, discussing a 2nd terminal is moot point.

OUman, you are right...in our current state, OKC does not need a 2nd terminal. But, I think we're hoping that could change.

metro
06-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Thats funny, in the news they are commending Luther Trent etc saying all this wonderful stuff, true although he has done good things, much greater things should of been accomplished and it takes an internet forum like this for our citizens to realize that. Indeed, will someone post Mayor Cornett's physical office address so we can all write letters as we all know he is sketchy about answering emails

Patrick
06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Thats funny, in the news they are commending Luther Trent etc saying all this wonderful stuff, true although he has done good things, much greater things should of been accomplished and it takes an internet forum like this for our citizens to realize that. Indeed, will someone post Mayor Cornett's physical office address so we can all write letters as we all know he is sketchy about answering emails

You should've seen the response mranderson got back from Jim Couch....mranderson gave his two cents to Jim about the job Trent did.
Jim obviously likes the job Luther Trent has done, and he didn't appreciate mranderson for stating anything to the contrary.

Mick's office address:
Mick Cornett
Office of the Mayor
200 N. Walker, 3rd Floor
OKc, OK 73102

405-297-2424

Or simply post here, as Mick reads this site on a regular basis.

mranderson
06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes. And my rebuttal to his reply was quite extensive, and made it clear I was an informed citizen. I added evidence that we need help... I have recieved no additional replies from any city official, including Mick Cornett.

Intrepid
06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Yes. And my rebuttal to his reply was quite extensive, and made it clear I was an informed citizen. I added evidence that we need help... I have recieved no additional replies from any city official, including Mick Cornett.

What was his reply? I didn't see it posted. Please share if you don't mind.

Thanks!

=)

okcpulse
06-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I do not agree that Luther Trent has done a great service for Oklahoma City. According to The Oklahoman, the next person to take Luther Trent's position has big shoes to fill- for the citizens of Oklahoma City? Yes. The next person will, as we have great expectations for the new director of the Airport Trust. But does the next director have big shoes to fill as far as Trent is concerned? No.

I do give Trent credit for getting major terminal renovations off ground. Things could have been worse, as WRWA would still be a dark low-ceiling cave, according to Neptune74137 of TulsaNow. But his mistake to scale back the expansion and renovation has cost him a great deal of respect among Oklahoma City's most informed residents.

A director with vision should understand that Oklahoma City must work harder than most cities to sell itself to visitors and newcoming residents. That means rolling out a sweetheart of a welcome mat for travelers who get to Oklahoma City the most common way Americans get from city to city- by flying. Such a vision requires big plans that creates an impressive airport terminal with an impressive expressway from the terminal to the city itself. Remember, first impressions are lasting impressions. Which is what I got will stopping in Memphis, which was a dark, ugly airport. Bad first impression, and I just can't shake it off.

mranderson
06-28-2005, 05:51 PM
What was his reply? I didn't see it posted. Please share if you don't mind.

Thanks!

=)

Here it is. Any comments?

Mr. Anderson:

I appreciate your e-mail, but do not share your opinion regarding Mr. Trent. In the fiercely competitive world of airports, there is a significant difference between what we might like and what is realistically achievable. We would like to be a "hub" city, but our proximity to Dallas/Ft. Worth does not make this a realistic expectation. What is achievable, and what we have accomplished, is adding service from more airlines and securing more direct flights to major cities across the nation. During the last five years, Frontier, America West and Allegiant Air have begun service at Will Rogers World Airport. We have added non-stop service to Newark/New York, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Detroit, and are in conversation with others.

As to the size of our airport, we are in the final stages of a $100 million project that has expanded the terminal from approximately 350,000 square feet to 490,000 square feet and increased the number of gates from 16 to 17. This gives all the gates we require at this time and will meet our needs until approximately 2010. We have the capability of adding an additional concourse and more gates when they are warranted. Mr. Trent has done an excellent job of keeping the terminal operational during the long and difficult construction process.

I will conduct a nation-wide search for a new director and, as I do in every hiring process, I will look for someone who has a vision for the future and will work to achieve new goals. The search process will follow the mandates of the City Charter, which places the responsibility on me. I am confident the process will result in my selection of a new director who will provide vision and leadership and will gain the trust and respect of the Mayor and City Council.

Jim Couch

Patrick
06-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Whoppie! We gained 1 whole gate! That means current passenger counts could've been served with 16 gates. So my question is...what was the whole purpose in this so-called airport expansion, which IMO is a huge misnomer? And who cares that Mr. Trent kept the airport functional during all of the so-called expansion. Is that really something to boast about?

Instead of boasting about keeping an airport pen during meaningless construction, we could be boasting about our new 25 gate airport, which we were promised.

I personally feel like the airport trust lied to us, promising a 25 gate airport, when all we're getting is a lopsided, half-finished 17 gate airport.

Why can't we ever finish what we start in OKC?

Pete
06-28-2005, 09:12 PM
I would also like to point out to Mr. Couch that a good chunk of visitors now arrive on American turbo-prop planes from Dallas, which more than counteracts any new direct flights.

From the perspective of someone that flies in and out of OKC 2 to 3 times a year, the air service seems far worse due to this fact.

okcpulse
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I would also like to point out to Mr. Couch that a good chunk of visitors now arrive on
American turbo-prop planes from Dallas, which more than counteracts any new direct flights.

From the perspective of someone that flies in and out of OKC 2 to 3 times a year, the air service seems far worse due to this fact.

It is for that reason why I do not fly American, and won't ever fly American again. As far as Luther Trent's job goes, he may have helped secure more direct flights, but he still failed to deliver what was promised to us in 2000. Thus, IMO, he worked just hard enough not to get fired.

Pete
06-29-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't blame you for not flying AA but to not use them severly limits your flight options and often results in significantly higher fares.

I end up taking them more often than not and when I do, I curse the OKC airport for having such bush-league air service. I'm sure the thousands that arrive WRWA on those planes do the same, which is really bad for the city's image.

mranderson
06-29-2005, 08:06 AM
I received a very thoughtful and complimentry reply from Mick Cornett. I want to thank him for the kind words.

OUman
07-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Couple of points. An expansion does not mean just more gates. It also means actually adding a significant area to the terminal building. Whether you like it or not (sorry for the bluntness), this is a legitimate expansion. Just because you're getting only one more gate, it doesn't mean its not an expansion all of a sudden.

I would also like to point out to Mr. Couch that a good chunk of visitors now arrive on

American turbo-prop planes from Dallas, which more than counteracts any new direct flights.

It is for that reason why I do not fly American, and won't ever fly American again. As far as Luther Trent's job goes, he may have helped secure more direct flights, but he still failed to deliver what was promised to us in 2000. Thus, IMO, he worked just hard enough not to get fired.

Umm, I don't know if you're aware, but 5 out of the nine roundtrips (yes, only nine-at one point AA and Eagle had 16) between DFW and OKC are flown by American using mainline MD 80's. The other four are flown by Eagle w/ a combination of CRJ 700's and ERJ 140's/145's.

The turboprops were taken out a long time back between OKC and DFW.

So, we have considerbaly less flights to DFW.

And more people are now flying via IAH. DFW is no longer the only connecting airport for us. DTW, MSP, EWR etc are all airports where OKC pax can take connecting flights.

Yes, I'm not happy about the delayed east concourse either, but all the same, let's be a little appreciative of the changed terminal.

OUman

mranderson
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Granted. Square footage was added, however, that is not the point. The point is the fact Will Rogers is the smallest commerical airport of any city our size. One gate is far from acceptable as to the number of gates added. We need the 25 promised now, and a plan in place and ready to start bidding to acomodate a hub. That means a inimum of 30 additional gates, which can only be achieved by a south terminal.

You also forgot some cities. Nashville, Denver, St. Louis, Salt Lake, Atlanta, Kansas City, Memphis, and Chicago. (Nashville flights may have been discontinued) ALL except Newark and possibly Kansas City are hubs. That is nearly ALL we have to fly into... Hubs.

I also know of some cities that may be added in the near future, however, those are confidential.

We could have had some really nice air service if we had a director who put the cleshea "110%" into the job.

OUman
07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Granted. Square footage was added, however, that is not the point. The point is the fact Will Rogers is the smallest commerical airport of any city our size. One gate is far from acceptable as to the number of gates added. We need the 25 promised now, and a plan in place and ready to start bidding to acomodate a hub. That means a inimum of 30 additional gates, which can only be achieved by a south terminal.

You also forgot some cities. Nashville, Denver, St. Louis, Salt Lake, Atlanta, Kansas City, Memphis, and Chicago. (Nashville flights may have been discontinued) ALL except Newark and possibly Kansas City are hubs. That is nearly ALL we have to fly into... Hubs.

I also know of some cities that may be added in the near future, however, those are confidential.

We could have had some really nice air service if we had a director who put the cleshea "110%" into the job.

Nashville and Kansas City don't have a hubs. EWR is the Continental/Express hub.

In the future, if another terminal is required, a midfield terminal would be a logical choice. A south terminal would require lengthy taxi times times for aircraft using RWYs 17L and R.
Keep in mind we have south winds for many days of the year.

One that's in between the runways would be nice. That's the same problem that the current IND terminal has-it's north of the parallel runways, and planes taking off to the north have to taxi all the way to the south end and then takeoff. The new terminal's midfield, and between the runways for that reason.

Just a couple cents... :)

OUman

mranderson
07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Nashville may still be a hub. If you will read my entire post I said Kansas City may NOT be a hub.

In addition, a "midfield" terminal would not affect taxi times as often planes have to taxi to or from the south as the traffic often departs toward the north, and arrives from the north. That would actually SHORTEN the taxi time from a south terminal. The problem with a "midfield" terminal would be parking. The idea of the terminal being fed from SW 104 is to allow for parking exclusively to that terminal as it would actually be the busiest. Access to a "midfield" terminal would not be logical. It would take too long, plus, it would be difficult for arrival dropoffs and passenger pickup.

A south terminal is the most obvious plan.

OUman
07-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Nashville may still be a hub. If you will read my entire post I said Kansas City may NOT be a hub.

In addition, a "midfield" terminal would not affect taxi times as often planes have to taxi to or from the south as the traffic often departs toward the north, and arrives from the north. That would actually SHORTEN the taxi time from a south terminal. The problem with a "midfield" terminal would be parking. The idea of the terminal being fed from SW 104 is to allow for parking exclusively to that terminal as it would actually be the busiest. Access to a "midfield" terminal would not be logical. It would take too long, plus, it would be difficult for arrival dropoffs and passenger pickup.

A south terminal is the most obvious plan.

If you look at a map of OKC, you will notice there is ample space in between the runways, virtually nothing in between. They're building or have built midfield terminals in between runways everywhere around the country-Southwest Florida Int'l, Detroit Metro, Indianapolis Int'l, and I think even Wichita Mid-Continent's getting one as well (I could be wrong on that one, but that's what I heard). Parking will not be a problem, you could have parking on one side (or the landside), and keep the other as the airside. The terminal could be a two concourse structure, w/ a main terminal and two wings stretching out, north and south. And it still could be 30 gates and easily expandable.

And you missed the part about the winds. Yes, most of the time, traffic lands toward the south, but what about departing aircraft? They'll have to taxi almost more than the full length of either parallel runway before they can takeoff. Oklahoma City has more than 100 days a year of southerly winds. The only period of continuous northerly winds is during the winter months, but then, planes landing toward the north will have to taxi a good distance back toward the terminal.

On the other hand, if the terminal's midfield, then taxi time is greatly minimized for any wind direction, and it also places the crosswind runway (which is extensively used for takeoffs when winds are straight out of the west or east) near the new terminal as well. It is all possible.

OUman

mranderson
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
You are missing MY point. Please think about my posts before you reply.

OUman
07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I did, and only then did I reply. I also looked at an aerodrome chart of WRA before I posted my reply.

OUman

mranderson
07-01-2005, 02:30 PM
If you claim to have read my post carefully and then thought about it, then answer the following.

How long does it take an aircraft to taxi from the current terminal to the south end of both main runways? How would YOU design the arrival and departure ramps for terminal two and the parking structure to logically feed a "midfield" terminal with the exception of a VERY long roadway, keeping in mind the current terminal is nearly in the mid point between each end of the runways?

Logistics do not support your plan. They do mine.

OUman
07-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Right now, taxi times to the south ends of the current terminal aren't any more than 7 min at most, once planes actually start taxiing. The terminal's almost midway betwen both ends of both main runways.

Now the midfield terminal. It could be a two-concourse structure, w/ parking in the middle, and the two concourses on the west and east sides (which go north-south along the main runways). So the landside's in the middle, and the concourses would be east and west of the parking lots and garages, basically, they would be seperated, but connected to eachother by skywalks. The access road would still be from SW 104, but in the future, you could also dig under the east runway for a connection to I-35 (nothing wrong in doing that, it's common everywhere in the world). The north and south areas of the complex would be kept open. Each concourse would accomodate 20 gates, so a total of 40 gates would be available by the time both are built. There would be plenty of space in the middle left for ample parking and garages. So both, road traffic and air traffic's needs would be satisfied.

And if you can minimize a hub airline's taxi times, it's to your and the airline's advantage, which is a win-win situation. In this case, you can. Long roadway, sure, but you can't please everyone to a 100%.

Ok, I'm done, I'll give you the last word. :)

OUman

mranderson
07-02-2005, 08:02 PM
"Ok, I'm done, I'll give you the last word"

And I will have the last word. Your plan will not work. The current terminal address is 7100 Terminal Drive. That is exactly half way between SW 54 (the northern edge of the runways) and SW 104 (the southern edge), therefore it IS NOW half way, thus making it midifield. The current terminal would have to be demolished thus costing at least 250,000,000 more than is neccessary. The parking in the middle is not practical as it will disrupt the current flow of taxing aircraft. The only plan is a duplicate terminal. A hub can not operate with 20 gates. It requires a minimum of 30.

The tunnel although workable, is not the answer. the third main runway would have to run east of Portland, and would have bridges connecting it to the main taxiway.

The taxi time is usually five minutes. I have timed it many times.

Now for that last word... Finis.

Hammond
07-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I have to wonder. How many of you have ever even met Luther Trent, much less had an in depth conversation about our City and air transit with him? From the posts I've read, so far I would have to conclude the majority are armchair experts.

Am I saying that we cannot be better that we are? Of course not. Collectively, we are capable of great accomplishments.

If any of you think you can do a better job than Mr. Trent, I'm sure the City will be pleased to accept your distinguished application. I, as many others, will look forward to your efforts to surpass those that have come before you.

Hammond

Keith
07-03-2005, 08:26 PM
I have to wonder. How many of you have ever even met Luther Trent, much less had an in depth conversation about our City and air transit with him? From the posts I've read, so far I would have to conclude the majority are armchair experts.

Am I saying that we cannot be better that we are? Of course not. Collectively, we are capable of great accomplishments.

If any of you think you can do a better job than Mr. Trent, I'm sure the City will be pleased to accept your distinguished application. I, as many others, will look forward to your efforts to surpass those that have come before you.

Hammond
That's one reason why I haven't made a post on this thread. I know what Mr. Trent's position is/was, however, I have no idea what has happened under his supervision. Because of that I can't make a judgement on what he has or hasn't done.

HOT ROD
07-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Keith, Im sorry

You do have the right to judge Luther Trent.

He is/was a municiple official and they all should be held accountable. Any mention of the ORIGINAL airport plan and Luther's response is usually to blow you off about the pax counts. Were are the facts? Where is the citizen insight/oversight committee (like the one for Bricktown).

Im not saying that all is bad. Surely, the new terminal looks much much better and is larger than the original - but we were promised a two phase terminal expansion; consisting of expanded terminal and two relocated concourses. That was the original plan, costing $110 million and giving us 25 gates. Phase 3 was supposed to be a "future" central concourse, bringing the number of gates to 35.

Look at the current web site, and it shows that Phase 3 is the completion of the East Concourse only - not a mention of the central!!!

So, this is why I question his "leadership." I dont care what Cornett says, Luther failed miserably and should be held accountable. If Cornett wont do it, then perhaps it is time for him to go as well.

You all should not step back and let city leaders get rich off of your tax dollars. You were promised a fully functioning 25 gate, twin concourse facility of 580,000 sq feet - to be completed by end 2005; through two phases [phase I, demolition Concourse C and new Concourse West with new roadways., phase II, demolition Concourse B and new Concourse East with Main Terminal Expansion]. Phase III was supposed to be a New Central Concourse, bringing the total to three concourses and 35 gates - and was to be shelled in above the original cost of $110 mil.

Why were we shorted with a 420,000 sq ft facility and one concourse, with East now designated as the "expansion" and not the Central? Where is the money? What are they waiting on? Who changed the plans? Why did they try to "sneak" these changes in on you?

These should be questions every citizen of OKC should have for Luther Trent and the Mike. The should be held accountable and Keith, you SHOULD question them!!!

Patrick
07-26-2005, 01:29 PM
This just shows you how behindour airport is. We're celebrating the addition of a few new shuttle busses, while DFW is celebrating the addition of a new monorail system.

Geesh!

------------
"Will Rogers Airport deploys new Shuttle Fleet

Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Will Rogers Airport officials announced this morning that the airport has has replaced its on-airport shuttle buses with a modern fleet of six new vehicles, two of them designed for people with physical disabilities.

The shuttle buses will roll into service at 10 a.m. this morning, Tuesday, July 26. They are expected to depart from the airport's Snow Barn, located at 5920 S. Air Cargo Road, and will proceed to the long-term shuttle lot and begin operations.

According to officials, to symbolize the speedy service available to travelers who use one of the two shuttle parking lots at Will Rogers, the buses have been branded with a Disney-like caricature of a spirited steed and the hip new name, "Giddy Up."

As well, all six buses are fully air-conditioned and equipped with comfortable seats and ample room for baggage. The buses will operate on a six- to eight-minute schedule as each circles a route from the lower level of the terminal (just outside the baggage claim area) to a parking lot, then back to the terminal’s second level for direct entry to ticketing counters and gates. Shuttle drivers also will load and unload baggage for passengers.

According to Luther Trent, the airport's outgoing director, said "New shuttle buses are a key part of our plan to make Will Rogers a world-class airport that delivers a safe, secure and convenient experience for all our air travelers."

He added the new shuttle fleet is being added to complement the $110 million expansion and re-construction of the terminal building at Will Rogers World Airport, which is ongoing and is funded by the Oklahoma City Airport Trust. All of the work is scheduled for completion by early next year."

mranderson
07-26-2005, 01:51 PM
It is really a sad day when a major city of nearly 1.5 million people brag about new shuttles instead of the shiney, new 40 gate terminal that blows away the competition.:fighting2

brianinok
07-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Has anybody heard how the search is going for his replacement? I sure hope they are looking to make a dynamic hire.

Pete
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
the buses have been branded with a Disney-like caricature of a spirited steed and the hip new name, "Giddy Up."

New shuttle buses are a key part of our plan to make Will Rogers a world-class airport

Yes, nothing says 'hip' and 'world-class' like buses named Giddy Up!

HOT ROD
07-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, nothing says 'hip' and 'world-class' like buses named Giddy Up!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I can't stop laughing at that one!!!!

Pete
07-27-2005, 08:50 AM

Mr. Trent is a public official that is accountable to the citizens of OKC.

At the very least, he, the airport trust and their marketing director have not been very helpful in sharing information. People from this forum have sent many letters and emails to the various people involved and they only grudgingly replied, if at all.

A person in leadership should be judged by accomplishments or lack thereof, and Mr. Trent is no different. And while others may be of the opinion he did a fine job like Mr. Couch, his viewpoint was shared here as well.

It's obvious several posters here really know their stuff when it comes to airports and commerical aviation and OKC is better served by them speaking out. The criticism here has been specific and constructive and driven by the desire for Oklahoma City to have the best possible facilities and air service.

You might disagree with some of the points made, but it's silly to argue against their expression.

mranderson
07-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Malibu Sooner. I agree totally with you. A tip of the hat to you, sir.:tiphat:

There are people who will say just because they know someone, they are great at their job. And others who will say they are great at their jobs, but have not experienced a great deal of that professsion (in this case traveling). Therefore, they close their minds due to lack of research and true knowlege.

As one person who travels as much as he can, and most of that is by air, I have been in nearly every major city in this country, and have seen first hand the airports in these cities. Even if I do not fly into a city, I will drive around their commercial airport and look around. I have yet to see one that is smaller than Will Rogers in a city our size or larger.

Luther Trent is in charge of the facility. He and the airport trust have control over what expansion is done, and the airline service we have to offer. We are WAY UNDER SERVED.

This man has NOT done his job to the level we should expect. In fact, if he was an employee of mine, he would have been fired for lack of performance.

Will Rogers, although a very attractive facelift, is still an embarrasment. A caring person who is aggressive at his or her job is what we need. Not some guy sitting at his desk waiting to retire.

Karried
07-27-2005, 05:03 PM
The shuttles Giddy Up should have a direct route to the nearest Piggly Wiggly ....

hip new name? Giddy Up?

What the ????

brianinok
09-16-2005, 11:03 AM
According to the Oklahoman today, a new director should be named in the next couple of weeks. They said it will be someone that is currently #2 at a big airport or #1 from a smaller airport. I hope it is the #2 at a big airport. There are very few smaller airports I would want to get their director.

mranderson
09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
According to the Oklahoman today, a new director should be named in the next couple of weeks. They said it will be someone that is currently #2 at a big airport or #1 from a smaller airport. I hope it is the #2 at a big airport. There are very few smaller airports I would want to get their director.

You are correct. We need the heavy hitter. Maybe our words and my emails paid off afterall.