View Full Version : Anybody move here from a larger or similar-sized city?

bchris02
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
If so, how did you adjust? What do you like about OKC compared to where you lived before and what do you dislike about it?

I've been here for six months now after moving from a larger city and am still adjusting.

Things I like:
-Bricktown/Canal
-Downtown revitalization
-Low cost of living: groceries are quite a bit cheaper
-Civic pride
-The Warren Theater
-Lake Hefner
-Low humidity compared to where I lived before
-Quite a few decent restaurants here. There are a few things I would like to see in OKC that aren't but most cuisines you would expect are covered.

Things I dislike:

-The biggest: I've found it pretty difficult to make friends being single in my 20s. Most people here seem to get married and settle down very young.
-Things are very spread out
-Very little aesthetic beautification outside the downtown area
-Relatively few nice parks compared to other cities
-Too few grocery stores, especially quality ones

catch22
01-09-2013, 09:56 PM
I agree with all of your points listed, both the positives and negatives.

I was born and raised here however, but I also do quite a bit of traveling so I see a good amount of outside perspectives as well.

The unique opportunity which is vastly understated and under-emphasized is that as a younger generation we have the direct opportunity to build our dream city. We are in the middle of rebuilding everything that was destroyed, and we actually have a relatively blank canvas to color on. The older generation that has run this city for so many years is starting to phase out through attrition. The major roadblock to progress seems to be from the horseshoe on city council. Hopefully as the city matures and becomes more progressive and forward thinking, the evil ideas of walkability and transit will become better represented from council.

Glad to have you in OKC.

Questor
01-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Good:

- Short lines at stores, little traffic.
- Can get most places in 15 minutes, all places in about 45.
- Surprisingly diverse ethnic food options.
- Decent retail.
- Downtown. Western Ave.
- Warren Theater.
- Occasional cool festivals.

Bad:

- Drivers! OMG!
- Concert scene is terrible compared to other cities this size.
- Limited choices for high quality dining.
- Few high quality grocers.
- Third world liquor laws.
- Landscape isn't pretty here, and the building codes don't make up for it.
- Need more recreational activities in the metro.
- Cheap real estate, but just as expensive as elsewhere "good" real estate.

bchris02
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Questor,

The site won't let me quote you but I agree with you on most of your points. Not sure why, but Tulsa gets better concerts than OKC does it seems.

I also saw you mentioned something about the early marriages and people sitting at home watching TV which you have since removed from your post. Thus far, that is my biggest gripe by far. The other negatives about OKC I can adjust to (nowhere is perfect right?) but even though I've made plenty of friends since moving here, they are all married so I usually end up spending most of my free-time alone. In most cities, its pretty common to meet single people in their late 20s or even early 30s but here its almost like something is wrong if you aren't married by your 21st birthday. Personally, I don't plan on being married for another few years at least. Any advice on how to meet other active single young professionals?

I hate to admit, that factor has me sometimes contemplating moving to DFW within the next year or two unless my circumstances change.

As for the liquor laws, the worst part about it is not being able to get cold beer from a liquor store. I don't really mind that is not available in grocery stores, I just wish I could get it cold. It's not like requiring it sold warm does anything to prevent drunk driving.

catch22
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
I'll add a negative that I hope we can improve on:

Lack of daytime things to do. Our nightlife is actually pretty good all nights of the week. But there's no real daytime things to do.

bchris02
01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
catch22, what daytime activities do you propose that you can't currently do in OKC?

More, nicer parks would be a great start in my opinion. This is something OKC is sorely lacking on. I am excited to see what happens with the new Central Park.

From my experience, most people spend their days at work and there is many times stuff going on during the weekends when the weather is nice out at Hefner or downtown. A real amusement park would be nice.

catch22
01-10-2013, 12:17 AM
It'd not that we don't HAVE the daytime activities, they are just all really spread out. When I travel to other cities, it seems I always have something to do. Walking, biking, shopping, parks, museums, all within close proximity...I had a friend fly down to OKC the other day. We kind of ran out of things to do in the 6 hours he was here during the day time. If he was staying the night we could have gone to some clubs and bars and nice restaurants. But he was here mid-day and we literally ran out of things to do.

catch22
01-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Also, I completely understand your frustration with the "quick to marriage" issue. I almost feel as if I have missed (or about to miss) the boat on finding someone worthwhile here. I, too, have considered moving to a different city just because of that issue.

blangtang
01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Hey now, your "quick to marriage" issue has a flipside-

You gotta be wise in these parts to sift through the "early divorcees" to find some gold.

But it is mainly true that if you aint fix'd up by 30 you're gonna end up hanging around with foreigners, lesbians, too old punk rockers, exchange students and other fringe elements.

rlewis
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I moved here from Dallas (I've also lived in Cincinnati, Nashville, Little Rock, and Atlanta) 6 years ago and I can relate to just about everything you said. I honestly was not real happy here for the first year, but I've grown to like it here and now I have no desire to move back to Big D. I lived in OKC in the beginning, but I moved to Edmond and that made all the difference for me. Edmond is not the cool urban environment like Deep Deuce (which I could not afford to live in when I moved here); but it's more walkable, safer, and easier to meet people than where I lived in OKC. Edmond also has nice parks and the city is more aesthetically pleasing than any of the areas that I've seen around here. I have friends that say many of the same things about Norman. I would suggest a move to the burbs.

I think one of things that I like about this area is that I feel like I'm watching a city transform into the big leagues right before my eyes. There are a lot of things that are maddening about this place: the lack of sidewalks, ugly neighborhoods, the wind, etc., but I see things constantly getting better. People around here are really trying to clean up the mistakes of the past and they are planning smartly for the future. When you live in a big place like Dallas, you take growth for granted and civic pride is almost non-existent there.

Cities like Dallas and Atlanta have a lot more amenities to offer 20-somethings (I was one of them in DFW), but it is just as hard to meet young single people in those places as well. Also both of those places have some really nice neighborhoods but they also have some of the ugliest neighborhoods you will ever see. Traffic in the big cities stink: my commute in DFW was a constant headache. I always felt stressed out when I lived there. You can't go to a store without long lines, concerts sell out in 5 minutes, people won't let you merge onto the interstate--these are the types of things I don't miss about DFW.

As humans we tend to always be looking for greener grass, but sometimes we fail to appreciate the grass in our own backyards.

OKCisOK4me
01-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Wow...go to Baker Street or somewhere else on Memorial. There are plenty of single 20-30 something smoking hot ladies there.

adaniel
01-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Six months is still a bit short to adjust anywhere. Bchris02 if I'm not mistaken you are from Charlotte? Its been my experience people from out east take a little time to warm up to this area.

As for me, I am from the North Dallas suburbs and came to this area to attend OU in 2004. I loved my time there but in 2009 I planned to move back. This area in general just lacked a lot of even simple things that I had grown accustomed to living in a larger city. To my surprise my only job offer was here. I moved to a suburban apartment complex off Council Road and quickly realized I made a big mistake. Young singles can probably get away with living in suburbs in other cities. Not here. Suburbs here are for popping out babies and driving around in your minivan. And your observation about marriage in this area is sadly spot on. I managed to make friends with other single livin rebels, but even they are starting to get hitched. It is really ridiculous in this part of the country and one of the several rather conservative aspects of the local mindset here that can be a bit of a turn off.

So why am I still here? For starters I got the hell out of the burbs and moved to midtown. Almost immediately my opinion of this area changed now that I had the best of the city in my backyard. Yes there are cheaper places to live but it was not worth it to me to live in an area where I was very unhappy. I was fortunate and started advancing in my job. One thing I noticed is that if you are fortunate to start making some decent income (and since you're single you don't have to worry about a greedy wife or hungry kids!) you can really live like a king here. This area has a very low cost of living that allows me to enjoy the best the city offers and live a lot better than other 26 year olds slumming it up in some other "cooler" city. If you get too bored, you can always take some of that extra money and jet off on Southwest Airlines for a quick trip.

The best thing about living in OKC is the immense amount of civic and community pride here. It sounds corny but I really do feel like I am in a big family here. This is a rare quality in cities today. Better yet, as a young professional, I am "growing up with city". I am always really impressed how many people my age are already high up in their careers and are both involved and committed to the community. I mean, this message board alone is something special and unique that allows people to be connected. OKC is such a blank slate you can really do anything within the realm of reason.

Mind you I do get a little homesick and consider moving back to DFW. No doubt it has way more to do than OKC. That should be expected in an area with 6.5 million people, along with the traffic and crowds as well. Still, DFW is a place that people move to for 5 years, advance their careers, then promptly leave. It has given the area a generic, transient feel. No pride, no sense of community, just miles and miles of generica sprawl filled with robots grinding out the rat race. The past few visits I made, I was glad to come back here. I frankly would not move there if you seek out a more active single lifestyle; culturally it is very similar to OKC with lots of young marriages. You're left with a singles scene consisting of credit card millionaires (Keep Dallas Pretentious!). Maybe Denver?

kelroy55
01-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Good:

- Decent retail.
- Downtown. Western Ave.
- Warren Theater.

Bad:

- Drivers! OMG!

+1

onthestrip
01-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Wow...go to Baker Street or somewhere else on Memorial. There are plenty of single 20-30 something smoking hot ladies there.

Uh, this isnt 2007. Not many smoking hot ladies there these days. Seems like its more old ladies smoking.

OKCisOK4me
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh...I didn't know that they don't recycle. So when I was younger and used to go out in Bricktown cause it was cool and 54 was the place to go...you're basically saying that there are a bunch of old people there? Young people don't find going out anywhere exciting anymore?

bchris02
01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Six months is still a bit short to adjust anywhere. Bchris02 if I'm not mistaken you are from Charlotte? Its been my experience people from out east take a little time to warm up to this area.

As for me, I am from the North Dallas suburbs and came to this area to attend OU in 2004. I loved my time there but in 2009 I planned to move back. This area in general just lacked a lot of even simple things that I had grown accustomed to living in a larger city. To my surprise my only job offer was here. I moved to a suburban apartment complex off Council Road and quickly realized I made a big mistake. Young singles can probably get away with living in suburbs in other cities. Not here. Suburbs here are for popping out babies and driving around in your minivan. And your observation about marriage in this area is sadly spot on. I managed to make friends with other single livin rebels, but even they are starting to get hitched. It is really ridiculous in this part of the country and one of the several rather conservative aspects of the local mindset here that can be a bit of a turn off.

So why am I still here? For starters I got the hell out of the burbs and moved to midtown. Almost immediately my opinion of this area changed now that I had the best of the city in my backyard. Yes there are cheaper places to live but it was not worth it to me to live in an area where I was very unhappy. I was fortunate and started advancing in my job. One thing I noticed is that if you are fortunate to start making some decent income (and since you're single you don't have to worry about a greedy wife or hungry kids!) you can really live like a king here. This area has a very low cost of living that allows me to enjoy the best the city offers and live a lot better than other 26 year olds slumming it up in some other "cooler" city. If you get too bored, you can always take some of that extra money and jet off on Southwest Airlines for a quick trip.

The best thing about living in OKC is the immense amount of civic and community pride here. It sounds corny but I really do feel like I am in a big family here. This is a rare quality in cities today. Better yet, as a young professional, I am "growing up with city". I am always really impressed how many people my age are already high up in their careers and are both involved and committed to the community. I mean, this message board alone is something special and unique that allows people to be connected. OKC is such a blank slate you can really do anything within the realm of reason.

Mind you I do get a little homesick and consider moving back to DFW. No doubt it has way more to do than OKC. That should be expected in an area with 6.5 million people, along with the traffic and crowds as well. Still, DFW is a place that people move to for 5 years, advance their careers, then promptly leave. It has given the area a generic, transient feel. No pride, no sense of community, just miles and miles of generica sprawl filled with robots grinding out the rat race. The past few visits I made, I was glad to come back here. I frankly would not move there if you seek out a more active single lifestyle; culturally it is very similar to OKC with lots of young marriages. You're left with a singles scene consisting of credit card millionaires (Keep Dallas Pretentious!). Maybe Denver?

Dallas sounds like a larger version of Charlotte from your description. Very transient, but not a lot of pride. People who move to Charlotte do so as a stepping stone to get somewhere else, or are families. Most people in Charlotte who go to their pro-sports games, especially the Bobcats, actually root for the opposing team and simply go to see whatever team they are playing. I do think its easier to meet people and establish a social life in a transient city though. I've found that some natives tend to be cliquish and unfriendly to new people. OKC isn't as bad about that as some smaller towns but I've experienced it at numerous churches I've tried.

I've also lived in Little Rock, which concerning civic pride is the opposite of OKC, more like civic-inferiority. Most people in Little Rock, especially young people, hate it and constantly talk about moving elsewhere. They are still destroying historic structures in their downtown for surface parking and fast food restaurants. Most people there have an attitude about their downtown as a dangerous, scary place. From what I've heard, that is how OKC was back in the 80s. The civic pride here is great because things are more likely to change for the better when that's what the city wants.

As far as the suburbs, another poster said they liked Edmond alright as a single. Edmond seems to have more of that transient feel that I liked about Charlotte. Personally I am debating moving to Edmond or closer to downtown when my lease runs out in June. Not sure I can afford Midtown though. Everyone seems to agree that where I currently live, far NW OKC, is one of the worst places in the metro to be single. Is it possible to do Midtown in a safe area for under $700/month?

I am going to be in OKC for at least another year or two. After that, I'll decide if I want to put down roots here or get a job transfer. I am hoping for the best because I really don't want to have to move anywhere else.

bluedogok
01-12-2013, 12:07 PM
I lived in Dallas for two years (91-93) and moved back to OKC for ten years and I didn't get married until I was 39. I had zero desire to move back to Dallas when the opportunity presented itself in 2004 after the two years that I lived there. What I found out is for all DFW offers for everyday living it just wasn't much better that OKC, even back then. Sure it had more clubs but the same issues existed there and I just grew to dislike the place, If I had to move to one of the two big cities in Texas it would be Houston over Dallas now but I have absolutely no desire to live there anymore. I have been away from OKC for ten years now and am in my late 40's so I have no idea what the scene in OKC is for your age group now but it would have to be better than what it was in my day there was and we still managed to have a bunch of fun there. What you have to there or anywhere is get involved with groups that share a common interest, which is probably easier now in the internet/social networking age than it was 20-30 years ago, it may just require a bit more work than people in other markets are used to now but those people are out there looking as well. I didn't even start going to church until my mid-30's and that was at Life Church when it was still the one location and much smaller, the merger with Metrochurch happened while I was going there. I did have many friends who went there so it was maybe a bit easier for me to get involved but I purposefully became involved in a Life Group that had none of my friends so it would open me up to new people. I was playing softball with a team from work (large A/E firm) and started playing with a co-ed team from Life Church just to expand my circle.

One thing about OKC that is different about many places is the fact that it is spread out, I guess I was just used to that and people in Austin and here in Denver find it shocking that my wife and I are willing to go the distances we do to seek out good and interesting places to eat. Having grown up in OKC (and she in West Texas) the distance thing just isn't an issue for us, maybe a combination of that upbringing and the seeking out of new and interesting roads/food on the motorcycle skewed our perception on distance.

If you are in your late 20's to early 30's and looking for hipster central, Austin is the place to be, at least based off my ex co-workers and friends there (mostly interior designers/architectural/engineer types). That place is just loaded with people in that age group of both genders and most that I knew moved from elsewhere after college, a bunch of females from Georgia are there in the interiors biz. I ended up marrying someone who lived in Austin but found plenty of "fun people" in OKC before I met her, just none that I "clicked with" like her.

Celebrator
01-12-2013, 11:03 PM
I have been following this board since about 2008 a year before I even moved here. And as was mentioned before, this board alone is a unique feature of living here and a great place for sharing ideas and news.

I have been here for about 3 1/2 years now and just love it. We moved here from Orlando and don't miss it at all. I have to echo most everyone's mention of loving the civic pride and unity here. I, too, think that is unique this day and age and is something special that people might overlook unless they experience living somewhere else.

We are so transient as a nation, so it is hard to live someplace and feel like everyone is rowing in the same direction. The Thunder has really helped with that, I am sure, and I really feel like everyone just wants to be better. We want to make the quality of life better and are proud of the fact that we are headed in the right direction. I love that. A lot. There is just such a dynamism and positivity that is so refreshing and exciting. I have never lived somewhere like this. I grew up in Los Angeles (so huge...so you get all that comes with that), lived in St. Louis for 10 years (loved it compared to L.A., but I think it would frustrate me if I lived there now because they just cannot get their act together to develop their urban core...they have been talking about it for about 20 years!), and most recently Orlando.

Orlando is a unique city. Everything revolves around tourists (obviously) and so all development is with an eye for their needs, not really the locals. There is so little city pride, it's just sad. That is one of the things I missed most after living in St. Louis, which was such a great change after L.A. (although I would argue that L.A. has more unity and civic pride than Orlando even though it is much bigger). Orlando is full of people from other places (I find lots of people I meet here are from here...although with a good economy I do meet a fair number of transplants more and more) and folks from Orlando are generally there for selfish reasons.

What I mean is that they have moved there from northern climes mostly to escape cold weather. If this is reason these people are moving there, to have perpetual vacations, you can just imagine that their thought is mostly self-centered and not community centered. Home is wherever they have moved from...it will NEVER be Orlando, and so they neither want to financially nor emotionally embrace Orlando as home. So you lose out on any sense of civic pride. "I just am here for fun in the sun, don't bother me about civic improvements and all that...".

I have never been a basketball fan, and, just like OKC, Orlando is a one sport town...the Magic. But in the last spring that I lived there ('09) in their run to the Finals, the city wasn't buzzing like OKC did last year. Mostly because most people bring their loyalties with them, they don't root for the hometown team. I never picked up on the Magic. And I am a huge sports fan. But there just was not the unity behind the team...even when they are good. People went to the Magic game to watch the Celts, or the Knicks, or the Bulls...even the Heat (lots of Miami transplants, too.) This lack of unity is so annoying. In STL, if the Rams or especially the Cardinals were in the playoffs, everyone wore their colors to work/school, etc. Just like we do here. And here, well I don't think I have more closely followed any team in my life more closely than I have the Thunder for the last three seasons. The team, the passion, (the winning, no doubt) is just fantastic to be a part of. I am a huge NBA fan now. Never saw that one coming.

Bottom line, Orlando (and FL in general) is like a shiny, sporty convertible rental car. It is fun. Everyone has a good time in it. But no one really cares about what happens to it. As they say, no one ever washes a rental car. OKC is a real place. It is genuine in all ways and for me, that has been really great to experience.

There is really a lot to love about OKC. As I tell people around the country who are dubious of my love and pride for OKC, I tell them that it has most of the amenities you want from a big city without the headaches (traffic, high cost of living, crowds). And really that is so true. We are pretty lucky here. And the thing is...it's only getting better. If you are willing to be patient as the city transforms, you are going to be a part of something special and interesting. And that is something that not all people can say no matter where they live and how "cool" that place may be.

MikeLucky
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I have been following this board since about 2008 a year before I even moved here. And as was mentioned before, this board alone is a unique feature of living here and a great place for sharing ideas and news.

I have been here for about 3 1/2 years now and just love it. We moved here from Orlando and don't miss it at all. I have to echo most everyone's mention of loving the civic pride and unity here. I, too, think that is unique this day and age and is something special that people might overlook unless they experience living somewhere else.

We are so transient as a nation, so it is hard to live someplace and feel like everyone is rowing in the same direction. The Thunder has really helped with that, I am sure, and I really feel like everyone just wants to be better. We want to make the quality of life better and are proud of the fact that we are headed in the right direction. I love that. A lot. There is just such a dynamism and positivity that is so refreshing and exciting. I have never lived somewhere like this. I grew up in Los Angeles (so huge...so you get all that comes with that), lived in St. Louis for 10 years (loved it compared to L.A., but I think it would frustrate me if I lived there now because they just cannot get their act together to develop their urban core...they have been talking about it for about 20 years!), and most recently Orlando.

Orlando is a unique city. Everything revolves around tourists (obviously) and so all development is with an eye for their needs, not really the locals. There is so little city pride, it's just sad. That is one of the things I missed most after living in St. Louis, which was such a great change after L.A. (although I would argue that L.A. has more unity and civic pride than Orlando even though it is much bigger). Orlando is full of people from other places (I find lots of people I meet here are from here...although with a good economy I do meet a fair number of transplants more and more) and folks from Orlando are generally there for selfish reasons.

What I mean is that they have moved there from northern climes mostly to escape cold weather. If this is reason these people are moving there, to have perpetual vacations, you can just imagine that their thought is mostly self-centered and not community centered. Home is wherever they have moved from...it will NEVER be Orlando, and so they neither want to financially nor emotionally embrace Orlando as home. So you lose out on any sense of civic pride. "I just am here for fun in the sun, don't bother me about civic improvements and all that...".

I have never been a basketball fan, and, just like OKC, Orlando is a one sport town...the Magic. But in the last spring that I lived there ('09) in their run to the Finals, the city wasn't buzzing like OKC did last year. Mostly because most people bring their loyalties with them, they don't root for the hometown team. I never picked up on the Magic. And I am a huge sports fan. But there just was not the unity behind the team...even when they are good. People went to the Magic game to watch the Celts, or the Knicks, or the Bulls...even the Heat (lots of Miami transplants, too.) This lack of unity is so annoying. In STL, if the Rams or especially the Cardinals were in the playoffs, everyone wore their colors to work/school, etc. Just like we do here. And here, well I don't think I have more closely followed any team in my life more closely than I have the Thunder for the last three seasons. The team, the passion, (the winning, no doubt) is just fantastic to be a part of. I am a huge NBA fan now. Never saw that one coming.

Bottom line, Orlando (and FL in general) is like a shiny, sporty convertible rental car. It is fun. Everyone has a good time in it. But no one really cares about what happens to it. As they say, no one ever washes a rental car. OKC is a real place. It is genuine in all ways and for me, that has been really great to experience.

There is really a lot to love about OKC. As I tell people around the country who are dubious of my love and pride for OKC, I tell them that it has most of the amenities you want from a big city without the headaches (traffic, high cost of living, crowds). And really that is so true. We are pretty lucky here. And the thing is...it's only getting better. If you are willing to be patient as the city transforms, you are going to be a part of something special and interesting. And that is something that not all people can say no matter where they live and how "cool" that place may be.

I agree 100% with everything you say about OKC, and it's why I plan to live here the rest of my life. But, it doesn't change the fact that it is a really tough place to be a single man in your 30's. I wish it were different, but...

adaniel
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
As far as the suburbs, another poster said they liked Edmond alright as a single. Edmond seems to have more of that transient feel that I liked about Charlotte. Personally I am debating moving to Edmond or closer to downtown when my lease runs out in June. Not sure I can afford Midtown though. Everyone seems to agree that where I currently live, far NW OKC, is one of the worst places in the metro to be single. Is it possible to do Midtown in a safe area for under $700/month?

I am going to be in OKC for at least another year or two. After that, I'll decide if I want to put down roots here or get a job transfer. I am hoping for the best because I really don't want to have to move anywhere else.

Yeah, if I were you I would not be living out in the NW side of town, and I definitely would not move to Edmond. It is a fine town, but not a good place for anyone single and in their 20's unless they are somehow affiliated with UCO. Getting something in Midtown for under $700 month is not unheard of, but pretty tough. I would say the average rent is probably about 1K/month, probably 900/month for Deep Deuce. There is this place around the corner from me that seems pretty nice and they have units open from time to time:

Studio apartment in Midtown OKC (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/3485158383.html)

If you are willing to expand your target area just a little north, you can probably find something in your price range. Lots of little 4 and 6-plexes in Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, even Jefferson Park and the Paseo if you are willing to live on other side of 23rd. These areas still have the general feel of Midtown, although maybe not as gentrified. It really just depends on your comfort level with urban living. These areas are walkable to places along 23rd and the Paseo district. Something like this:

Heritage Hills/Midtown Apartment (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/3504153756.html)

Trendy Studio Apartment-Jefferson Park (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/3516531113.html)

Best way to find something is search the specific neighborhoods on craigslist (Midtown, Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Jefferson Park, Paseo, etc.) or even search the streets (Walker, Hudson, Harvey, Robinson). That's how I found my place. Even though these areas may not be as polished as something in Edmond, I think you will find it refreshing to be around more like-minded people.

For the same reason I wouldn't live in that area, I would skip out on going to church out in that area as well. Most are pretty family oriented. Churches in places like Edmond and North OKC are simply going to reflect the area they serve. I don't know your religious views and its frankly none of my business, but there are churches in the city that cater to young people, like Frontline Church or my church, PeoplesChurch.

Lastly I would recommend looking into getting involved and "plugged in" the community. After a certain age it starts becoming difficult to mingle and meet people no matter where you live, and a certain amount of effort has to be made. What are your interests? Is their some sort of club you can join? Does your career have a professional organization here in town? You are already in church so that works out well in this area. See if you can join a small group once you find a church you like.

As a single 26 year old, I can definitely attest to the heavy family-oriented vibe here; but even still there are lots of young singles here. You may just have to be a bit creative in seeking them out. Even in my office, of the 11 people under the age of 35, only 2 are married, with 1 engaged. I have never really been given problems by others for not being married, outside of a few busybodies. I just tell those folks to buzz off and mind their own business.

I hope OKC starts working out for you better. This thread has given a quick look on why so many people enjoy it here, and with some time I think you can too. I would recommend moving to a more urban neighborhood, start getting more plugged in and see if that works out for you better. If not, no harm no foul. This place isn't for everyone but at least you will know you made an effort to make it work. Good luck!

Stone
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm in my late 20s and have the 3 strikes of dating in OK working against me: past my prime OK marriage age, don't go to church and don't want kids.

I moved here from Dallas 3 years ago and I knew it would be tough, but I had no clue it would be this rough for me. First Oklahoma girl I dated seemed fine with my lack of religion, but her father was not and wanted to have a "conversation" with me before the 2nd date. Needless to say, that went no further, and that really set the tone for my social life in OKC. I've met plenty of people through work and I play co-ed rec sports, but the women are usually taken. Living here has given me the fear of being single my entire life. I've made plenty of friends, but none of the kind that I can call and spontaneously say lets go to a bar or to a game. I usually have to give my friends a week's notice to find a babysitter or clear it with their spouses. I left behind all my single friends in Dallas.

Being here has been really good for my career, otherwise I probably would have been back in Dallas or somewhere else by now. To me, I can't really think of anything that makes OKC better compared to Dallas. Sure, the cost of living is lower and the traffic is much better, but the trade off is the lack of dining, shopping and entertainment options here. I understand the civic pride and progress being made here, but I'm admittedly impatient and there is still a lot of growing to do here and I'll be 40 before I know it.

If I can get my social life on track here, I wouldn't mind settling down in OKC, but the odds seem slim for me. This is a nice place to be for a lot of people, but it definitely isn't for everybody.

NoOkie
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Good:

- Decent retail.
- Downtown. Western Ave.
- Warren Theater.

Bad:

- Drivers! OMG!

This is pretty much my opinion. Just add horrible walkability and bad public transit.

I moved here from Kansas City for work(Also not a great walkable/transit city) and I genuinely miss it. OKC is alright, and the growth and civic pride is fantastic. I really like the changes that are happening, the low cost of living, and people are overall nice. That being said, we'll probably move away eventually due a combination of landscape(I'm from the south, the flat and lack of trees still bugs me and a lot of the city is just ugly), lack of higher end amenities and a general disagreement with the politics of the area. The ****ty weather we've been having the last few years has been a factor, as well.

We really liked Portland and I liked Seattle, but I suspect we may find ourselves back in Kansas City in a few more years. It's not necessarily "better" than OKC, but we liked it more.

venture
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
This is pretty much my opinion. Just add horrible walkability and bad public transit.

I moved here from Kansas City for work(Also not a great walkable/transit city) and I genuinely miss it. OKC is alright, and the growth and civic pride is fantastic. I really like the changes that are happening, the low cost of living, and people are overall nice. That being said, we'll probably move away eventually due a combination of landscape(I'm from the south, the flat and lack of trees still bugs me and a lot of the city is just ugly), lack of higher end amenities and a general disagreement with the politics of the area. The ****ty weather we've been having the last few years has been a factor, as well.

We really liked Portland and I liked Seattle, but I suspect we may find ourselves back in Kansas City in a few more years. It's not necessarily "better" than OKC, but we liked it more.

I'm pretty much exactly like you. Love the low cost of living and mostly nice people. However, can't stand the lack of water, trees, and real grass. The weather has been so boring and dry it doesn't help. The politics of the area sucks, but its no different than places like Michigan that can be just as one sided on the other end of the spectrum.

JayhawkTransplant
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
I agree with everything said so far. I moved here as a single girl in my mid-20s, and found it very difficult to meet people, whether for dating or friendship purposes. My advice: get involved. The best thing about OKC, for me, is all the redevelopment initiatives happening right now. If you find a way to work yourself onto a committee or attend some public involvement meetings, you'll find yourself amongst a wide array of eager, optimistic, proactive people. OR, get a dog and spend some time at the dog park. Or join a gym and attend classes.

I dislike the crime in OKC. I live in what I consider a nice neighborhood in NW OKC, and I am woken up at least a few times a month by the police helicopter hovering over my block, have beggars routinely knocking on my door for money, and have had 4 break-in attempts at my house in the 2 years that I've lived here. I have always wondered if there are proportionately more drug addicts in OKC than other major cities--it seems that drugs are quite an issue here.

venture
01-14-2013, 09:34 PM
I dislike the crime in OKC. I live in what I consider a nice neighborhood in NW OKC, and I am woken up at least a few times a month by the police helicopter hovering over my block, have beggars routinely knocking on my door for money, and have had 4 break-in attempts at my house in the 2 years that I've lived here. I have always wondered if there are proportionately more drug addicts in OKC than other major cities--it seems that drugs are quite an issue here.

The rise in crime here is something I've noticed as well. I guess it comes with a growing community but it seems with all this money for redevelopment, maybe crime prevention is getting the shaft. It says something when OKC has more murders in a year than Washington and Vegas. It also is interesting to note that over 25% of the city's murders last year was gang related. This city has a gang problem that hasn't gotten any serious attention.

I use to love being in downtown OKC at night. Walking around Bricktown and also downtown. Now? I won't be caught down there after dark. After being caught in the crossfire of the shootings after the festival down there a few years ago...that was enough. Since that day, OKC proper hasn't received a dime of my money (from sales tax) outside of getting something to eat at the airport. With crime increasing it is just another factor in finding some place new to live.

bchris02
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
The rise in crime here is something I've noticed as well. I guess it comes with a growing community but it seems with all this money for redevelopment, maybe crime prevention is getting the shaft. It says something when OKC has more murders in a year than Washington and Vegas. It also is interesting to note that over 25% of the city's murders last year was gang related. This city has a gang problem that hasn't gotten any serious attention.

I use to love being in downtown OKC at night. Walking around Bricktown and also downtown. Now? I won't be caught down there after dark. After being caught in the crossfire of the shootings after the festival down there a few years ago...that was enough. Since that day, OKC proper hasn't received a dime of my money (from sales tax) outside of getting something to eat at the airport. With crime increasing it is just another factor in finding some place new to live.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Oklahoma City is still 50th on the "Most dangerous cities" list so crime is still lower than many other major cities, but the rising crime is not good at all, and if anything (besides the collapse of a major company like Chesapeake) ends the OKC renaissance, it will be that. High-crime cities are never boomtowns. Most of the time they are stagnant and suffer from severe white-flight to their suburbs i.e. Memphis. Other, much larger cities are much lower on the list. It will be very beneficial to OKC short term and long term to beef up its police force.

CaptDave
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
I think we should seriously consider deannexation of some of the rural areas of OKC. That could the the quickest, most cost effective way to provide out police and fire departments some relief. Reduce the area they are required to service and increase the size of the force wen prudent and possible. Of course the deannexation would have to take into account reduced property tax revenue but I think it could be done by some careful analysis. Then return rural law enforcement to the OK Sheriffs Department. Reestablish volunteer fire departments and/or enter into agreements with the nearest municipal fire department for service in the rural areas.

ljbab728
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I think we should seriously consider deannexation of some of the rural areas of OKC. That could the the quickest, most cost effective way to provide out police and fire departments some relief. Reduce the area they are required to service and increase the size of the force wen prudent and possible. Of course the deannexation would have to take into account reduced property tax revenue but I think it could be done by some careful analysis. Then return rural law enforcement to the OK Sheriffs Department. Reestablish volunteer fire departments and/or enter into agreements with the nearest municipal fire department for service in the rural areas.

I totally disagree. I see no evidence that the police force spends much time patrolling the outlying areas which you think might need to be deannexed. I agree with beefing them up but think that's an ineffective way to do it. They aren't hanging out around 119th and Council while neglecting 10th and Western.

In my opinion, that would basically have zero effect on the overall crime rate in OKC.

bchris02
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
I totally disagree. I see no evidence that the police force spends much time patrolling the outlying areas which you think might need to be deannexed. I agree with beefing them up but think that's an ineffective way to do it. They aren't hanging out around 119th and Council while neglecting 10th and Western.

In my opinion, that would basically have zero effect on the overall crime rate in OKC.

The areas that should be de-annexed are areas like SW 59th and Cimarron or Hefner Rd and Frisco. Rural West OKC is vast and very sparsely populated. Or maybe the area around NE 150th and Indian Meridian could go as well. I can't see how it benefits the city to keep all of that within its city limits.

ljbab728
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
The areas that should be de-annexed are areas like SW 59th and Cimarron or Hefner Rd and Frisco. Rural West OKC is vast and very sparsely populated. Or maybe the area around NE 150th and Indian Meridian could go as well. I can't see how it benefits the city to keep all of that within its city limits.

It keeps OKC from being totally landlocked like Dallas or Tulsa. I have had numerous discussions with others here over the subject of deannexation. I can't see how it benefits the city to abandon all of that area to the suburban cities who would quickly gobble it up for future economic benefits.

CaptDave
01-14-2013, 10:54 PM
It keeps OKC from being totally landlocked like Dallas or Tulsa. I have had numerous discussions with others here over the subject of deannexation. I can't see how it benefits the city to abandon all of that area to the suburban cities who would quickly gobble it up for future economic benefits.

That is a legitimate concern without a doubt. I was looking at it mainly from the standpoint of concentrating the efforts of our present police force in a smaller area. There are other reasons I think it should be seriously studied and considered, but this is one of the primary ones.

DeluxeOK
01-14-2013, 11:04 PM
To the people who are looking for ways to make friends and meet new people, volunteering is a great way to find others with common interests. Give a few hours of your time to Momentum (http://www.ovac-ok.org/events/events_momentum.cfm), the Humane Society, Children's Hospital - it might be worth a try.

ljbab728
01-14-2013, 11:07 PM
That is a legitimate concern without a doubt. I was looking at it mainly from the standpoint of concentrating the efforts of our present police force in a smaller area. There are other reasons I think it should be seriously studied and considered, but this is one of the primary ones.

I understand you point, CD. I have just never seen any convincing evidence that it is a legitimate answer to anything. Besides that, it will never happen anyway. LOL
It's better to look for other solutions.

Dubya61
01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Can you point me to the thread where deannexing / land-locked OKC was discussed? I've missed it and, personally don't see the problem with being land-locked.

OKCisOK4me
01-15-2013, 12:57 PM
How about the next MAPS be called MAPS4OKCPD?? Lol, seriously...that's the only way the city can really afford to hire the amount of new police officers it needs.

ljbab728
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Can you point me to the thread where deannexing / land-locked OKC was discussed? I've missed it and, personally don't see the problem with being land-locked.

I think was the most recent. There were some prior to this.

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/25660-city-limits.html

Snowman
01-15-2013, 10:20 PM
How about the next MAPS be called MAPS4OKCPD?? Lol, seriously...that's the only way the city can really afford to hire the amount of new police officers it needs.

While you can call it what you want, the MAPS style taxes pay for capital improvements not payroll. Plus much of interest from all the MAPS taxes have gone to buying police and fire vehicles.

ljbab728
01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
While you can call it what you want, the MAPS style taxes pay for capital improvements not payroll. Plus much of interest from all the MAPS taxes have gone to buying police and fire vehicles.

You're exactly correct. The MAPS style of taxes are designed to make improvements to the city which will at some point improve our basic tax situation to pay for salaries and other needs.

soonerguru
01-15-2013, 11:16 PM
This is a fascinating thread. Thank you to all for your contributions. I'm a native, but I've lived and traveled elsewhere, so I've always noticed these deficits in OKC's quality of life. Thank you for summing it up better than I could / have.

Clearly OKC is making great strides, and I honestly believe we have a mayor (and, for the most part, a chamber) who understand these concerns and are trying to improve things.

I'm very optimistic about OKC's future; I just hope I'll have enough "youth" left in me to enjoy it when it really becomes more like the city we all want it to be. It's approaching big-league status, but there are still a lot of small-time thinkers here who have no idea what a great city even looks like. I'll join you all to keep fighting the good fight.

Let us not forget that our city made a series of disastrous decisions going back 50 years, so we have a lot of mistakes to overcome, and our track record over the past 15 years is pretty darn good. Over the last five it's even more impressive.

This message forum is one thing that has dramatically opened the dialogue to discuss where we need to go as a city. In the past, a handful of rich white guys just did what they thought best for everyone with zero input from the public. OKCTalk and social media are changing this dynamic.

Teo9969
01-15-2013, 11:33 PM
If you're single under 30, I'd guess that living in the Urban Core is your best bet to distance yourself from the family-oriented suburban lifestyle. The Urban Core is really starting to be a city, whereas most of OKC is just a big giant suburb of itself.

I live on 46th and Classen and don't really get the family vibe around here at all. Classen Curve, Penn Square, Western Avenue are all at the doorstep. 23rd, Paseo, and Plaza are 5 minutes away and downtown is maybe 10 minutes away, but the drive is significantly more interesting than driving from Edmond or NW 122nd/Council.

It's not Midtown, but it's a lot cheaper (honestly, it could be a fantastic investment if you buy here. If you decide to leave, just rent it out), not that far away, and one of the most diverse areas in the entire city.

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2013, 12:31 AM

OK, then how bout they just put a penny cent tax on a roll of toilet paper. Lemme guess, you'd be shaking with your right hand, lol.

betts
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm very optimistic about OKC's future; I just hope I'll have enough "youth" left in me to enjoy it when it really becomes more like the city we all want it to be. It's approaching big-league status, but there are still a lot of small-time thinkers here who have no idea what a great city even looks like. I'll join you all to keep fighting the good fight.

Soonerguru, I can reassure you that it doesn't require youth to enjoy improvments in a city. When I moved here, downtown OKC was a wasteland. Actually, the process of watching it change has been as enjoyable as appreciating the changes. It's never going to be Chicago, but it's light years better than when I moved here. I suspect (and hope you've got enough years in your to see as dramatic a change as I have.

bchris02
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
If you're single under 30, I'd guess that living in the Urban Core is your best bet to distance yourself from the family-oriented suburban lifestyle. The Urban Core is really starting to be a city, whereas most of OKC is just a big giant suburb of itself.

I live on 46th and Classen and don't really get the family vibe around here at all. Classen Curve, Penn Square, Western Avenue are all at the doorstep. 23rd, Paseo, and Plaza are 5 minutes away and downtown is maybe 10 minutes away, but the drive is significantly more interesting than driving from Edmond or NW 122nd/Council.

It's not Midtown, but it's a lot cheaper (honestly, it could be a fantastic investment if you buy here. If you decide to leave, just rent it out), not that far away, and one of the most diverse areas in the entire city.

I might consider that area. I have until summer when my lease runs out to decide. How is the safety in that area?

One thing I've noticed about OKC as opposed to other cities is most of the trendy neighborhoods are still somewhat emerging, meaning you still have some blight mixed in with the gentrification rather than a completely gentrified historic neighborhood like Dilworth in Charlotte.

I really wish Google would update the streetview imagery. I have a feeling a lot has changed in the inner city since 2007 and its hard to fully take in surroundings when driving and watching traffic.

Teo9969
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
I might consider that area. I have until summer when my lease runs out to decide. How is the safety in that area?

One thing I've noticed about OKC as opposed to other cities is most of the trendy neighborhoods are still somewhat emerging, meaning you still have some blight mixed in with the gentrification rather than a completely gentrified historic neighborhood like Dilworth in Charlotte.

I really wish Google would update the streetview imagery. I have a feeling a lot has changed in the inner city since 2007 and its hard to fully take in surroundings when driving and watching traffic.

It depends street to street. Some Streets have terrible lighting and some have okay lighting. I've had a couple thefts but a lot of that has been my inattention to security: for example, the first time, I was living alone in the house and had a room that had no curtains or blinds up that looked vacant...so I assume a kid just thought it would be an easy target...that was also the only time that I was literally broken-into.

If you make sure that the exterior of your house is well-lit and that your access points are well secured, I doubt as though you will have problems...It's kind of hit and miss street by street down in this neck of the woods.

PennyQuilts
01-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Soonerguru, I can reassure you that it doesn't require youth to enjoy improvments in a city. When I moved here, downtown OKC was a wasteland. Actually, the process of watching it change has been as enjoyable as appreciating the changes. It's never going to be Chicago, but it's light years better than when I moved here. I suspect (and hope you've got enough years in your to see as dramatic a change as I have.

When I was a young woman, a friend of mine was a transplanted Rochester native and she just couldn't adapt to OKC. She was used to an established city with plenty to do all the time. At the time, she was 29 or 30. I was about ten years younger. I recall telling her that she had a great opportunity to dive in and be part of building a city. At the time, OKC wasn't even a hundred years old and Rochester was had been around for nearly 300 years. Eventually, she moved back home.

But my point is that when I said that to her, I was thinking more in terms of civic, cultural, artistic development - I had no real vision of how it would explode, physically, into such a beautiful, vibrant city. I am just so proud of OKC and the way it has worked to develop its downtown and surrounding areas is just absolutely thrilling, to me. I personally don't have any desire to live closer in but wish OKC had been a little further along when my kids left the nest. There is so much more to offer young professionals, now, than there once were. I am very happy for the ones who feel like they don't have to leave the way people once did.

betts
01-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Actually, I think most of the cities we would all like to emulate have blight mixed in with their trendier areas. That's what makes them trendy - they've only recently become "worthy" of being considered trendy. I have to laugh because my daughter turns her nose up at Lincoln Park in Chicago as "too preppy". She considers emerging areas as far cooler, but they're definitely grittier.

Urbanized
01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Wow, Rochester? I think she was just homesick. Or, it sounds like you're writing about a time when OKC was in its depths of despair. But I've been to Rochester, and while the setting is pretty, it is certainly no more cosmopolitan than OKC or cities around us. The incorporated city limits boasts HALF the population of OKC's. felt pretty comparable to Wichita, Kansas to me.

PennyQuilts
01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Wow, Rochester? I think she was just homesick. Or, it sounds like you're writing about a time when OKC was in its depths of despair. But I've been to Rochester, and while the setting is pretty, it is certainly no more cosmopolitan than OKC or cities around us. The incorporated city limits boasts HALF the population of OKC's. felt pretty comparable to Wichita, Kansas to me.
She was homesick but much of the problem was it was about 1980. In comparison, OKC was a cowtown or dead.

bchris02
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
She was homesick but much of the problem was it was about 1980. In comparison, OKC was a cowtown or dead.

Pre-MAPS, most other cities, even some half the size of OKC, offered far more. That was when this city was feeling the full wrath of the Pei Plan from the studying I've done on its history.

Personally, I wouldn't have willingly moved to OKC even ten years ago. It's made a ton of strides just in the last decade.

Bunty
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM

But I thought Oklahoma City was quite a booming oil town in 1980 with plans for huge skyscrapers to soon go up. Oil had no where to go but soon to $100 a barrel.

Spartan
01-20-2013, 01:55 AM

Never been to Rochester but heard good things from friends who went to school there. I don't think there are any Wichita's in this part of the country.

PennyQuilts
01-21-2013, 08:41 AM

Agreed. I honestly can't recall ever seeing an Oklahoma City police car near 89th and Council. There was some sort of ruckus at our neighbor's house two nights ago. Two firetrucks, several (as my husband calls them) meat wagons. No police. They stayed there for hours after dark with their flashing lights on. For some reason, they were wandering around in the creek/ditch beyond the house with flashlights. No smell of smoke. Odd. We drove by twice, running errands and were surprised at no police cars. A firetruck was on the street (Council) with lights one, slowing down traffic.

We have an ailing neighbor (different one) who periodically has the EM's show up with firetrucks - never any police officers that I've seen.

I am sure they must wander around here, sometimes, but no one in our neighborhood would think they'd make it here on a call for awhile. We don't count on them, frankly. Fortunately, it is a very low crime area. When I see the high crime rates, it seems like most of it is south side (more south central and south east), north central and north east. Is there much crime in the areas where OKC has been concentrating on development? The crimes that make it to the news are usually violent ones so that is all I see.

As for the firetrucks, we see them all the time. I honestly don't know if they are Mustang or OKC but they're out and about. I'd hate to see them go because they always seem to be going somewhere in a hurry so, presumably, there are fires going on in the area.