View Full Version : What was your first job?

Keith
06-21-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought it would be very interesting to find out from everyone, what their first job was.

When I turned 16 years old, and was able to get a job, I went to work for Griders Discount Foods, at SW.29 & May. I started out working in the summer, and worked as many hours as they would allow me to work. When school started back, I continued working at Griders.

I started out as a car loader, then a sacker, and worked my way up to a cashier. After being a cashier for several months, I was assigned to work in the frozen food section as a part time stocker. After I graduated from high school, I started working full time as a ff stocker.

After about 6 months of being a stocker, I was chosen to work in the front office, cashing checks, counting money, answering phones, making bank deposits, etc... I was really honored to be in that position, because Maxine Grider was real picky as to who handled her money. At age 19, I was promoted to assistant manager over the front end. I was in charge of all of the cashiers, sackers, car loaders, etc......I was able to get some excellent experience in mgmt, as well as in handling money.

To this day, I have great memories of working at Griders. Some of my best memories were all of the girls I dated that worked at the store:irule: .

Curt
06-21-2005, 08:27 PM
My first job was working for a shop that built racing engines, I was just a general laborer but liked it. If there are any old time drag racing fans on the board the shop was owned by Wayne Gapp, of the once famous Gapp and Roush team from the mid '70's, Gapp had a falling out with Roush and they split, ironically now 20 years later I work for Roush as an automotive prototype tech.

mranderson
06-21-2005, 09:03 PM
As a kid, I hung out at the TG&Y at 240 and Pennsylvania. Even being there as their first customer and watching a fledgeling named Buck Owens perform the grand opening.

About ten years later, the father of one of my best friends got me a job as a stockman there. It lasted about four months. I was fired because I wasn't right for the job.

A side note. Mr. Johnson (the friends dad) died six years later, and to this day, has a provision in his will that TG&Y is to hire me any time I need a job. (of course, they are no longer around).

My first job will always be quite special to me.

Faith
06-21-2005, 09:21 PM
My first job was when I was 15 at a pharmacy in Midwest City. I worked there for almost three years as a pharmacy tech. It was a fun job and a good way to pay for my first car.

Karried
06-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I started working at age 12 in a Dog Grooming Facility - yuk - scared dogs, wet dripping biting animals - the worst, clipping toenails and trying not to get too close to the quick and ( close your eyes) squeezing the glands by their butts - eeewwwww - thank God for gloves and antiseptic.

My next job was at Dairy Delight making hamburgers and shakes day and night... yes, I washed my hands :-)

Then at 16 I started as a Courtesy Clerk ( bagger ) at a grocery store which was Union and paid extremely well - I stayed 13 years and moved up the retail ladder... I left 12 years ago and was a stay at home mom forever and a mortgage broker admin assistant and then when I grew up I became a Realtor - not a huge stretch from my earlier customer service experiences ( canine or not).

My oldest is 12 - I can't even imagine him attempting employment - neccessity makes for a great resume.

Jay
06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
My very first job was working for a friend of one of my Stepdad's friends. I was a helper on carpet cleaning crew. I worked for about two weeks and quit when the guy stiffed me on a paycheck. I finally got paid a week later after my parents threatened legal action against him.

A few months later I got a job washing dishes at Crocketts's on 89th and Western. I hated it but, it paid decent money for being in school. I worked there for about eight months and quit. I applied for a job at Wal-Mart in Moore that was supposed to be part of a DECA class. As soon as my boss at Crockett's found out he turned on me and treated my like garbage (for lack of a better term)

I didn't get the job with Wal-Mart however, the teacher of the DECA class new the manager at Pratts on 240 and Walker. She set me up with an interview and I got the job. I worked there for 2 years as a checker and meat and seafood clerk.

Pratts was my favorite job of all my teenage jobs. The people that worked there at the time were like a big family. When it came to the work we worked hard. When we played we had a blast. We had water fights, food fights, and even screwed with the vendors stock(you can only block our freezer so many times). You name it we did it.

I also made some memorable moments with the girls I dated that worked there.

I miss the old place, I felt a little bit of a loss when they closed the store and then recently tore it down.

I still see some the old Pratts Alums around the city from time to time. Most have went to work in other jobs. Some are still working in different grocery stores.

I guess Pratts finely bit the dust. Almost all of the stores, the main office and the warehouse have been sold or closed. The only one I know of that is still in business is the original Pratts on Main Street in Shawnee.

okcpulse
06-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I share your memories, OklaCity_75. I worked at Price Mart as a deli clerk back in 1997. Got the job after I wrecked my 1994 Ford Probe. I started in February that year and quickly made friends. I remember on Thanksgiving that year the manager at my deli left us a Thanksgiving dinner since we had to work, and it was so dead we played cards for 6 1/2 hours. We partied together, worked hard together, and some were roommates since some of us were in college.

Our Price Mart store was bought by Price Chopper in 1999, and then Homeland bought us in 2000. That is when things went to hell. The store, on 33rd and Broadway in Edmond, fell into shambles. Many great people left. I met my wife there in 2000 (she didn't work there, just came with a friend to visit a co-worker of mine).

Yes, that place was the time of my life. I miss it. But I am more than happy to possess those memories.

My first job was in 1995 at McDonalds. I'll never forget that place. I made $4.25 and hour, and it was messy. I quit in June of 1995, worked at Braum's in 1996 until the summer, worked at Sonic in fall of 1996 and then Price Mart in 1997.

windowphobe
06-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Like a lot of folks, I started out in fast food. (And back then, a Big Mac had just gone up to a whopping - oh, wait, we weren't allowed to say "whopping," that was the competition's word - 49 cents.)

fromdust
07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
when i turned 16 i got my first job at whataburger. i got that job becuase my parents wouldnt by me a nintendo. thats the only reason i started working.

pdjr
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Besides the obligatory summers of mowing lawns (during the oil boom at $100/week per yard -- I loved the 80's!), I took a job at Jones Theatres in Shawnee as a doorman, eventually rising the ladder to assistant manager before leaving for college.