View Full Version : Bowl Game Results

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Tonight is the first bowl game of any particular interest to me. Baylor is pounding UCLA at halftime 35 - 10 and has the Big 12 off to a great start. I expected Baylor to win but not like this. Art Briles has done an amazing job there.

ljbab728
12-29-2012, 12:38 AM
The Big 12 is now 2 - 0 with Tech's not so impressive win over Minnesota 34 - 31. Given the turmoil their program is in I'm sure they're happy though.

ljbab728
12-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Two more Big 12 games so far today. West Virginia stunk it up while losing to Syracuse. Maybe we should ship them back to the Big East. LOL.
Texas played from behind most of the game and came back to beat a decent Oregon State team. Not a bad win overall for a Texas team that has underachieved all year.
We still have TCU playing a late game tonight.

venture
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I am stinking it up on the Pick'em competition. I'm never picking ranked teams against unranked again. LOL

I did pick TCU against MSU, so hopefully they hold on.

venture
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Well there goes TCU. Pfft.

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
TCU was only a shadow of what they have been for the last few years. Even at that, they should have won their bowl game against a mediocre MSU team after dominating on defense for much of the game.

ljbab728
12-31-2012, 09:18 PM
The Chick-Fil-A Bowl was one of the most entertaining so far this year with Clemson kicking a field goal as time expires to beat LSU 25-24.

MonkeesFan
12-31-2012, 10:08 PM
The Chick-Fil-A Bowl was one of the most entertaining so far this year with Clemson kicking a field goal as time expires to beat LSU 25-24.

I am glad Lousiana State lost, I hate them

ljbab728
12-31-2012, 11:17 PM
I am glad Lousiana State lost, I hate them

I don't hate them. I just dislike them and Les a lot. LOL. The last second loss couldn't happen to a better coach. I'm sure that Bama agrees.

ljbab728
01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
OSU's game was very predictable. The Cowboys were much better than the bowl they ended up in and Purdue had no business being in any bowl.

Spartan
01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
And I was hoping OSU would actually run up the score to make a statement against stupid bowl match ups. The announcers and officials were shockingly inept for that game..clearly the night shift.

Hawk405359
01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Ok, can't say I expected Florida laying an egg against Louisville like they did. If Louisville had been able to capitalize more, the game would have been a total blowout.

ljbab728
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I also expected Florida to win but I thought they were vastly overrated at number 3 in the country. That makes two SEC top 10 teams to lay an egg in a bowl. If Bama wins they will still claim vast superiorty over everone else though. LOL

venture
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Louisville just embarrassed Florida. Except for the late game garbage time touchdowns, this game wasn't even close for Florida.

SoonerDave
01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Louisville just embarrassed Florida. Except for the late game garbage time touchdowns, this game wasn't even close for Florida.

And let's not forget that Louisville has the spot OU would have taken without the NIU nonsense....think OU matched up infinitely better w/Florida than A&M...

venture
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
And let's not forget that Louisville has the spot OU would have taken without the NIU nonsense....think OU matched up infinitely better w/Florida than A&M...

Yeah. Though I feel really bad for NIU. I'm glad they got the chance, but the system just set them up for failure too.

Jersey Boss
01-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah. Though I feel really bad for NIU. I'm glad they got the chance, but the system just set them up for failure too.

Excluding this year, the Big 12 is 9-10 in BCS games. The non AQ conferences are 5-2. Going by those numbers, looks like the non AQ conferences schools have a better chance than Big 12 teams do in these contests.

venture
01-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Excluding this year, the Big 12 is 9-10 in BCS games. The non AQ conferences are 5-2. Going by those numbers, looks like the non AQ conferences schools have a better chance than Big 12 teams do in these contests.

Perhaps. I don't think it'll be the last time we see a MAC team break into the big bowls. Which makes me happy because they play a lot of fun to watch football. I do miss the years when they were just QB production machines. BGSU would be putting up ridiculous QB performers year after year.

Anyway. KSU falls tonight, which I expected. Still warms my heart to see Bill Snyder out there.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 05:06 AM
I am glad Kansas State lost, I hate them

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Sooners better win tonight!

Dustin
01-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I am glad Kansas State lost, I hate them

I can understand hating the shorthorns, but KState?

Big XII > Pac XII

SoonerDave
01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
BCS has really destroyed the bowls for me. The forced matchups are just awful, primarily because the motivations going in are so screwed up, eg bring in the non-AQ underdog, or the one-off just-missed-the-title-game entry against some other conference with nothing of substance at stake.

FSU-NIU? FSU was asleep most of the first half and darned near got themselves into a ballgame, then woke up and dispatched the Huskies. EJ Manuel still has one of the most awkward throwing motions I've seen this side of Vince Young, but he got the W, which I guess is all that matters. FSU in a can't-win situation, very much like OU was against Boise.

Louisville-Florida? This is the game OU should have been in, and Florida's creaky and rather pedestrian offense would have been a great matchup against OU's defense - much better than the matchup against A&M. And I think the OU offense, once settled in, would have had a great chance to light up the Fla defense. Louisville showed up. Not sure UF did.

Oregon-KSU? Decent game, but the botched KSU FG following the false start (and why on earth the LT jumped escapes me, as everyone had to know the ball wasn't about to be snapped) that turned into a quick UO touchdown pretty much put a lid on that ballgame. UO just had too much speed, and disrupted the KSU offense. Getting Klein into a mode where he threw three straight passes is doom for that offense, and watching UO run tempo against the KSU defense made me want to pull my hair out after remembering how OU played them, but that's water under the bridge. UO's freshman QB is going to be someone to watch the next few years, dangit. Has tremendous field presence for a freshman.

The Rose Bowl was a pretty decent game...will grant that one. Looked like a blowout early on, and I can't help thinking Stanford lost some of that initial intensity once they went up 14-0, and that turned it into a ballgame.

As for the Sooners tonight, who knows? Will Manziel suffer from Heismanitis after a month of press adulation and publicity tours? Or will he go in 100% focused and ready? Its a given that a dual-threat QB gives OU fits, and this A&M defense is good, but not great, so all the ingredients are present for a shootout. If Manziel goes in at least a little starry-eyed, maybe OU can bait him into some bad throws, get some turnovers. I like OU against the Aggie defense - will be the best overall corps of receivers A&M has seen all year. Should be an interesting game, but I fear another 42-35 kind of score, which I'm hating more and more each week.

Jersey Boss
01-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Big XII > Pac XII

Not really. As of now the PAC 12 is 13-7 in BCS games for a % of .650, the Big 12 is 9-11 for a % of .450 .

SoonerDave
01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Not really. As of now the PAC 12 is 13-7 in BCS games for a % of .650, the Big 12 is 9-11 for a % of .450 .

A tortured stat going back how many years to give the Pac-12 that edge? Before the Pac-12 was even the Pac-12? Back when USC was issuing free housing like FSU shoe vouchers? Not even remotely a meaningful statistic. I'll grant that saying Big XII>Pac XII is debatable, but that's a ridiculously poor stat to use as proof.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Big XII > Pac XII

It is like hating Kansas Jayhawks in basketball

Jersey Boss
01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
A tortured stat going back how many years to give the Pac-12 that edge? Before the Pac-12 was even the Pac-12? Back when USC was issuing free housing like FSU shoe vouchers? Not even remotely a meaningful statistic. I'll grant that saying Big XII>Pac XII is debatable, but that's a ridiculously poor stat to use as proof.

C'mon now, what would be a more relevant stat? Last nights game? What is so tortured about that %? While it does go back to the start of the BCS, 1998, are not all things equal? What is tortured is the FSU shoe comment. That sort of thing never happens in the Big 12, right? Riiiiight. Bottom line in sports is scoreboard. What would be your measuring stick?

onthestrip
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
It is like hating Kansas Jayhawks in basketball

If there has ever been a dominate force in a sport that actually didnt irk me itd have to be KU basketball. Theyve pretty much owned the league yet I never seem to dislike them. Not sure why. Maybe Ive like the coaches and they have respectable players.

venture
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Eh, during bowl season i'm 100% conference supporter. It helps the conference as a whole when the teams win, especially come recruiting time (for teams and players).

As far as tonight's game I'm on the fence. I want OU to win, but I can just see Manziel tear up the OU D.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Sooners choke once again in a bowl game, oh well, still a good season!

venture
01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Looks like I was right on. OU D has shown to be very lax all year. Here is to next year with hopefully some good recruits.

ljbab728
01-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Looks like I was right on. OU D has shown to be very lax all year. Here is to next year with hopefully some good recruits.

Actually I think the OU offense has to take equal blame for this loss. If they hadn't had to settle for the field goals in the first half and been basically inept in the second half OU could have still won the game.

Just the facts
01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Go Thunder.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Does anybody think the Sooners need to clean house? Losing bowl games is starting to get very old

ljbab728
01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Does anybody think the Sooners need to clean house? Losing bowl games is starting to get very old

It's certainly not fun but OU had won the last three bowl games they played so your point doesn't quite get there. Alabama has won their last three since losing to Utah in the Sugar Bowl. If they lose to ND should they clean house? I'm certainly not defending the performance tonight but be careful what you wish for.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 10:58 PM
It's certainly not fun but OU had won the last three bowl games they played so your point doesn't quite get there. Alabama has won their last three since losing to Utah in the Sugar Bowl. If they lose to ND should they clean house? I'm certainly not defending the performance tonight but be careful what you wish for.

I dunno but Stoops is 7-7 in bowl games now which is mediocre

ljbab728
01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
I dunno but Stoops is 7-7 in bowl games now which is mediocre

I'm not saying we should compare OU to KState but KState has lost 5 bowl games in a row and 6 out of the last 7. Do you think they should clean house? LSU has lost 3 of their last 4. Should they clean house? Obviously changes are necessary to get back to the level that OU fans expect but cleaning house is not the answer.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm not saying we should compare OU to KState but KState has lost 5 bowl games in a row and 6 out of the last 7. Do you think they should clean house? LSU has lost 3 of their last 4. Should they clean house?

Yeah, isn't it the goal to win bowl games and championships?

ljbab728
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM

LOL, so every year we don't win a championship or a bowl game we clean house. That will really work well, I'm sure.

MonkeesFan
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
LOL, so every year we don't win a championship or a bowl game we clean house. That will really work well, I'm sure.

Yeah it would work well, clean house=Possible better offense and defense and better head coach that can win championships and bowl games

ljbab728
01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Dream on. No school would be able to attract top coaches knowing that as soon as they didn't when a championship or bowl game they would be gone. You're just not really thinking your argument through. No school works that way even if they try.

Bud Wilkinson lost the 1951 Sugar Bowl game to Kentucky. Should OU have cleaned house then before he went on to when 47 games in a row and two more national championships?

MonkeesFan
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Dream on. No school would be able to attract top coaches knowing that as soon as they didn't when a championship or bowl game they would be gone. You're just not really thinking your argument through. No school works that way even if they try.

Bud Wilkinson lost the 1951 Sugar Bowl game to Kentucky. Should OU have cleaned house then before he went on to when 47 games in a row and two more national championships?

No since Bud is a great coach

ljbab728
01-05-2013, 12:18 AM

LOL. A great coach can't lose a bowl game or not win a championship according to your previous posts. They must be swept away as soon as they lose because a great coach should find a way to win no matter what. There are no excuses and the house must be cleaned.

venture
01-05-2013, 12:25 AM

You are contradicting yourself completely. You want OU cleaned out for losing a bowl game, yet you would have kept Bud Wilkinson because he was a great coach? You are going back over his entire coaching career. I can understand being upset over this loss, but I'm with LJ. The coaching staff isn't really that bad. The biggest issue this year is just a lack of optimal personnel on the field. Better O Line and D Line with better line backers would have made a tremendous difference.

Hopefully at this point we'll be able to see Mike Stoops get defensive players he really wants. Heupel seems to be improving in play calling a bit as the season went along. I'm excited about having dual threat QBs in the pipeline. Landry had an arm, but that was about it.

The year is over. Time to build for the future. If recent history is any guide, we have a Heisman quality QB on campus already. Hopefully we are back in the title game again here in a year or two.

Calling for the heads of the entire coaching staff right now though is just stupid and immature. Thankfully we are have smarter people in charge at OU to keep such rash, uneducated decisions from taking hold.

MonkeesFan
01-05-2013, 02:32 AM
You are contradicting yourself completely. You want OU cleaned out for losing a bowl game, yet you would have kept Bud Wilkinson because he was a great coach? You are going back over his entire coaching career. I can understand being upset over this loss, but I'm with LJ. The coaching staff isn't really that bad. The biggest issue this year is just a lack of optimal personnel on the field. Better O Line and D Line with better line backers would have made a tremendous difference.

Hopefully at this point we'll be able to see Mike Stoops get defensive players he really wants. Heupel seems to be improving in play calling a bit as the season went along. I'm excited about having dual threat QBs in the pipeline. Landry had an arm, but that was about it.

The year is over. Time to build for the future. If recent history is any guide, we have a Heisman quality QB on campus already. Hopefully we are back in the title game again here in a year or two.

Calling for the heads of the entire coaching staff right now though is just stupid and immature. Thankfully we are have smarter people in charge at OU to keep such rash, uneducated decisions from taking hold.

It is not stupid and immature, if the Sooners get blown out in every bowl game, you would have been calling for their heads

venture
01-05-2013, 03:28 AM
It is not stupid and immature, if the Sooners get blown out in every bowl game, you would have been calling for their heads

Which they haven't been. So why are you now? There is no rational thought in your posts.

Uncle Slayton
01-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Which they haven't been. So why are you now? There is no rational thought in your posts.

You should take a stroll thru the comments section at NewsOtherSite.com. They want everyone from Berry Tramel to the Stoops brothers gardeners fired. I turned the game off with six minutes in the half. Didn't need a weatherman to tell me which way OU was blowing, and they blew even worse in the second half.

I'm not calling for heads, but c'mon. Bob makes about $240K per month, and that's just his base salary. They've laid a couple of mighty big eggs this year and the old "we were outcoached and outplayed" statement is getting a bit worn.

kevinpate
01-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I don't know that a house cleaning is needed, but yeah, I gotta admit it's more fun to enjoy a bowl game than it was to suffer through that bawl game last night.

Uncle Slayton
01-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't know that a house cleaning is needed, but yeah, I gotta admit it's more fun to enjoy a bowl game than it was to suffer through that bawl game last night.

The only thing that was missing was for Jones to have run into a teammate's backside a la Mark Sanchez. What a game to go out on for LJ.

SoonerBoy18
01-06-2013, 01:38 AM
I still love my Sooners, unlike some of the idiots out there, people need to understand, just about every team envy the Sooner football history, every team wants to beat us, I am so sick and tired of hearing how we "Choke in bowl games" Cowboy fans have no room to be talking!

Easy180
01-06-2013, 06:59 AM
The Sooners beat the Horns, Cowboys and lost a meaningless bowl game...This dude is fine with that

Spartan
01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
I still love my Sooners, unlike some of the idiots out there, people need to understand, just about every team envy the Sooner football history, every team wants to beat us, I am so sick and tired of hearing how we "Choke in bowl games" Cowboy fans have no room to be talking!

You're 18. Right.

Maybe the Swooners aren't quite as good as they were in your ole granddad's stories. Most 18 year olds, I.e., recruits...don't give a flip about "tradition" unless that's all a fan base hangs its hat on anymore. What have you done lately?

SoonerBoy18
01-06-2013, 12:16 PM
You're 18. Right.

Maybe the Swooners aren't quite as good as they were in your ole granddad's stories. Most 18 year olds, I.e., recruits...don't give a flip about "tradition" unless that's all a fan base hangs its hat on anymore. What have you done lately?

I am 19 now.

Uncle Slayton
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
... I am so sick and tired of hearing how we "Choke in bowl games"

I'm curious as to what your objective assessment of Friday's performance would be if it wasn't a choke. " Wholesale pants-crapping on a national stage?" "An unfortunate, unforeseen arithmetic deficit as regulation time expired?"

venture
01-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Its coming down to where the players being recruited don't perform to their potential and coaches are getting out played.

The Transcript today had good opinions in it, and it sounds like the coaches are getting it. There aren't any "star" players out there that you can rely on.

kelroy55
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM

I thought the goal was to build young men into good adults by teaching sportsmanship, hard work and working as a team.

Just the facts
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I thought the goal was to build young men into good adults by teaching sportsmanship, hard work and working as a team.

So why does the university put conference and national championship years on the stadium? Let's not fool ourselves. If all that stuff you said was true we wouldn't even keep score.

Where are the "sportmanship" and "Working as a team" stats?

http://o.aolcdn.com/os/autos/photos/miscellaneous/20110726_ou-stadium_612mz.jpg

venture
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Refs 2 - ND 0

Geez. LOL

venture
01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Notre Dame looks like they are ready to join the Big 12 with the way they are playing D tonight. ;)

Dustin
01-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Notre Dame is getting embarrassed..

Let the SEC circlejerk continue.

kelroy55
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Don't know if Bama is that good or if ND was that bad.