View Full Version : Devon buys parking garage on Dean A McGee

BBatesokc
12-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Heard (unconfirmed) from a property owner friend that Devon recently purchased (or is in the process of purchasing) a property downtown that has a 2-story parking garage (in desperate need of repair) on it on Dean A McGee, between Walker and Hudson (on the north side of Dean A McGee). That garage is currently utilized by Oklahoma County for county prosecutors and support staff to park in.

Anyone have confirmation and/or know what Devon plans to do with it and if they have plans to buy additional properties on that block?

Assessor doesn't show a change in ownership yet. But it can take awhile for their site to be updated.

Location: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.471248,-97.520182&num=1&t=h&gl=us&z=19&iwloc=A

Pete
12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I haven't heard anything about this and it would be a strange move for Devon, as it's mid-block and surrounded primarily by properties owned by Rick Dowell.

kevinpate
12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
would that make such a purchase a warning shot over the dowell?

BBatesokc
12-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Should know pretty quick if the rumor is legit. Was told people who park there have through next week to find a new parking place. If the lot goes empty then that should confirm it.

kevinpate
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Should know pretty quick if the rumor is legit. Was told people who park there have through next week to find a new parking place. If the lot goes empty then that should confirm it.

All those ADAs and no place to park. Not a pretty sight. Kind of glad I don't have any biz going on with their office. Grumpy workers aren't a lot of fun.

HangryHippo
01-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Any updates on this?

Just the facts
01-02-2013, 10:32 AM
would that make such a purchase a warning shot over the dowell?

OKC must be one of the few places in America where local developers are treated like Rock Stars. That would make OKCTalk the TMZ equivalent.

Pete
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
OKC must be one of the few places in America where local developers are treated like Rock Stars. That would make OKCTalk the TMZ equivalent.

And me the OKC-equivalent of Harvey Levin.

Does that mean Skip Kelly is our Lindsay Lohan?

BBatesokc
01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Can't confirm a buyer - but something is definitely going on. They have sealed the garage up and the doors have remained down and locked for a week. So the rumor that the DA's office employees had to find somewhere else to park is true. Looks like the garage isnt going to be demolished any time soon as crews did a few improvements to the structure last week too.

Pete
01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Very interesting.

Maybe Devon and Rick Dowell are getting in bed together?

Pete
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Coming across this thread again and wanted to confirm this property has definitely not sold recently.

Been held by the Cheek family for decades.

Has there been any more activity?

BBatesokc
07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Coming across this thread again and wanted to confirm this property has definitely not sold recently.

Been held by the Cheek family for decades.

Has there been any more activity?

They shut it down for awhile and kicked everyone out. Even an ADA I asked said it had been sold and he had to move his parking spot. However, a couple of weeks later (and minor improvements), and it was opened back up - but far less people parking there now.

Very odd. Wonder if a sale fell through?

bombermwc
07-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Well surely the folks that had leased spaces would have been told something if it had sold. Their lease would have either been broken or it would have transferred to a new owner of the garage, right? Perhaps they just had to close it for whatever improvements they were making? Just throwing out guesses here......

BBatesokc
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Well surely the folks that had leased spaces would have been told something if it had sold. Their lease would have either been broken or it would have transferred to a new owner of the garage, right? Perhaps they just had to close it for whatever improvements they were making? Just throwing out guesses here......

The couple of people I talked to simply said they were told they could no longer park in the garage and needed to make other arrangements. Don't know if they were given a "for the next few weeks" or "forever" but I do know not nearly as many people park inside the garage as used to. But, I do now see some ADA's walking over there around 5pm yo get their cars.

I never got enough concrete information to be certain what was really happening and was rumor.