View Full Version : Frequent OKCTalk poster shot to death

Pete
12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
William Schnittman who posted here under the user name wschnitt was the man killed Friday by the lunatic who lead police on a chase before killing himself.

I never met William in person, although several people on the site knew him because he was active in the community. I had, however, traded a bunch of emails with him because he was looking for ways to get involved in urban renovation projects. He volunteered his time with a local developer just to learn.

William lived in Midtown and rode his bike everywhere. He often posted photos of various projects in the central core as he was riding around.

He was also a rower who trained at the Oklahoma City Training Center; he had formerly starred at the U. of Michigan.

Hopefully others can confirm but I believe William moved here from Michigan specifically to train on the OK River and only then became infatuated with OKC and very involved in the community.

And now in the city he grew to love, he was shot to death. William was 25.

Oklahoma City police chase ends in man's suicide after earlier shooting | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-police-chase-ends-in-mans-suicide-after-earlier-shooting/article/3739510)

venture
12-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Terrible news. Best with his family.

BBatesokc
12-23-2012, 09:02 AM
That's awful. Just another sad reminder you should never take a day for granted.

Stew
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Here's something bizarre about the case. William was denied a protective order against the murderer on 4-dec-2012.

OCIS Case Summary for PO-2012-2749- William Arthur Schnittman v. Darrell Kurt Wilson (Oklahoma County District Courts) (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2939096&db=Oklahoma)

I know the murderer. He had been spiraling out of control for the past two weeks. The authorities knew as much and IMHO this murder should not have happened. There's a story here that needs to be told. I hope it is.

So very sad and so very avoidable.

kevinpate
12-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Best to all, especially to the woman's children, taken into protective custody away from their mother due to the circumstances of that night.

Achilleslastand
12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers to all the family ,friends and loved ones.....

Bunty
12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry to learn of the fatal trouble. Pick your girlfriends and boyfriends carefully.

kelroy55
12-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I hate to hear that.... My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

catch22
12-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I regret hearing that. Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends. Good reminder that we never really know what's around the corner. Stay safe.

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
That is such a shock to this OKCtalk community as the 98th homicide of 2012 was one of our own. A great loss for our city's present and future.
R.I.P.

Urban Pioneer
12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I can't believe it!!! I knew Bill personally. We had lunch many times and hung out. If anyone knows funeral details, please let me know.

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Is there a way to sticky this thread until after the funeral?

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Former U-M rowing team standout Bill Schnittman killed in murder-suicide in Oklahoma (http://www.annarbor.com/news/former-u-m-rowing-team-standout-bill-schnittman-killed-in-murder-suicide-in-oklahoma/)

From Ann Arbor, MI newspaper.

Pete
12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
In addition to this being a tragedy on many levels, it's also a horrible black eye for OKC.

We set up this national training center, recruit the best rowers from all over the country, and then this poor guy gets murdered.

I know this wasn't just random violence but we also have record homicide numbers this year... All this is beyond troubling.

bucktalk
12-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Incredibly sad!! Makes you wonder how many emotionally unstable people we might run across on a daily basis and not know it.

adaniel
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Here's something bizarre about the case. William was denied a protective order against the murderer on 4-dec-2012.

OCIS Case Summary for PO-2012-2749- William Arthur Schnittman v. Darrell Kurt Wilson (Oklahoma County District Courts) (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2939096&db=Oklahoma)

I know the murderer. He was an unstable whacko to begin with that had been spiraling out of control for the past two weeks. The authorities knew as much and IMHO this murder should not have happened. There's a story here that needs to be told. I hope it is.

So very sad and so very avoidable.

After reading this and the article posted above, the judge in this case has a lot of explaining to do. Does multiple death threats not constitute a protective order? Avoidable indeed.

Just very sad. To lose a poster here, especially someone who's about my age and so close to the holidays hits very close. I will pray for his family.

These types of things are happening way too much in this city as of late.

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
In addition to this being a tragedy on many levels, it's also a horrible black eye for OKC.

We set up this national training center, recruit the best rowers from all over the country, and then this poor guy gets murdered.

I know this wasn't just random violence but we also have record homicide numbers this year... All this is beyond troubling.
Is it really a record this year? Most homicides ever for a year? That's sad.

OKCisOK4me
12-23-2012, 02:04 PM
My thoughts are with Williams family. That is totally tragic,whether he was a member of our community or not. RIP William.

BBatesokc
12-23-2012, 02:10 PM
After reading this and the article posted above, the judge in this case has a lot of explaining to do. Does multiple death threats not constitute a protective order? Avoidable indeed.

Just very sad. To lose a poster here, especially someone who's about my age and so close to the holidays hits very close. I will pray for his family.

These types of things are happening way too much in this city as of late.

Not to get the thread off topic - but VPO's rarely come down to a judge deciding one way or the other - if the facts meet the statutory requirements then a VPO is granted. Its been awhile since I sat in on VPO hearings, but if I recall the statutory requirements are that the victim be the subject of domestic violence (married to or living with the offender), stalking or harassment that needs to be repetitive and supported with a police report. I'm sure I didn't get that exactly right, but its pretty close.

I actually find VPO's are given out too freely in most cases with the judge giving little or no regard to the impact it has on the person whom the VPO is assigned against. Many jobs will not hire people with a history of VPO's granted against them and it also means they must give up their legal weapons.

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Brian is right and I don't think a piece of paper would have kept this unbalanced individual from showing up and carrying out his plans. From all the reports I read, the killer was jealous and fixated on the girl and showed up to kill William. Such a sad thing anytime, but right before Christmas. Peace be with the Schnittman family and friends, and to the Wilson family as well, apparently he had battled mental illness and they are hurting as well.

Steve
12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Bill was a great guy, also involved in Retro Metro OKC. Saw him last Monday night.

ou48A
12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Rip

BBatesokc
12-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I think Brian is right and I don't think a piece of paper would have kept this unbalanced individual from showing up and carrying out his plans. From all the reports I read, the killer was jealous and fixated on the girl and showed up to kill William. Such a sad thing anytime, but right before Christmas. Peace be with the Schnittman family and friends, and to the Wilson family as well, apparently he had battled mental illness and they are hurting as well.

Glad you mentioned that - as that is the important part about VPO's - in the end its just a piece of paper and anyone hellbent on violence is going to commit violence.

Midtowner
12-23-2012, 04:29 PM

The way VPOs work, maybe the Judge isn't at fault. Most of 'em are handled pro se. To qualify, you first have to fall within the categories the statute is supposed to protect.

4. "Family or household members" means:

a. spouses,

b. ex-spouses,

c. present spouses of ex-spouses,

d. parents, including grandparents, stepparents, adoptive parents and foster parents,

e. children, including grandchildren, stepchildren, adopted children and foster children,

f. persons otherwise related by blood or marriage,

g. persons living in the same household or who formerly lived in the same household, and

h. persons who are the biological parents of the same child, regardless of their marital status, or whether they have lived together at any time. This shall include the elderly and handicapped;

5. "Dating relationship" means a courtship or engagement relationship. For purposes of this act, a casual acquaintance or ordinary fraternization between persons in a business or social context shall not constitute a dating relationship; 22 O.S. 60.1

If you fall outside of those categories, you have to file a complaint of stalking with the relevant police authority and supply a copy of the report to the court contemporaneously with the filing of the Petition.

My guess is that this was bounced procedurally for the same reason a lot of these are bounced--he didn't fall within one of the protected categories and didn't file a copy of a police report. If that was the case, don't blame the judge, blame the legislature for limiting the types of persons who can obtain VPOs.

zookeeper
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
The woman was the murderer's wife. They had three children together. A divorce was filed on 17th December 2012.

Mental illness, Divorce, Children, Christmas, Guns. A combustible combination.

jn1780
12-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow, not many 25 years old's are willing to date an older woman with three kids.

Stew
12-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow, not many 25 years old's are willing to date an older woman with three kids.

Actually she has four kids, one is from a previous marriage.

Urban Pioneer
12-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Bill was intensely interested in urban development issues. He wanted a apprenticeship of sorts with a bona fide developer. So he tagged along with me to meetings with different developers downtown learning the ropes. He even helped me with some physical labor when I was in a bind on the Dewey project.

He rode his bicycle everywhere, lived in Jefferson Park by Paseo, refurbished Apple products for resale to squeak by a decent living.

Total urban renaissance man. The kind we need more of. He will be missed.

RadicalModerate
12-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Condolences To All Involved.
(especially in regard to those innocent children)

Back around '87 (in the wake of the failure of many aspects of the local economy) the local newspapers and TV news accounts of current events seemed to be filled with similar examples of this type of impulse-control deficit directly related to "messin' around" with another man's wife.

Hopefully, others can learn from the example.

Larry OKC
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Is it really a record this year? Most homicides ever for a year? That's sad.

This was from a month ago, so prob out of date...
Oklahoma City's 2012 homicide rate on track to be one of the highest in 20 years | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/article/3731927)

PennyQuilts
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Oh, just saw this - I am so very sorry for his loved ones. RIP

Spartan
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I had a feeling I recalled him on here. Now I realize this happened to one of the most rational guys on here.

Murder isn't just a low class phenomenon. It happens to great, respectable people with their lives ahead of them. We have a problem in OKC and this has hit very close to home.