View Full Version : Several live IED’s found in Edmond OK apartment

ou48A
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Edmond Bomb Squad Called To Investigate Suspicious Device - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20397365/edmond-bomb-squad-called-to-investigate-suspicious-device-at-apartment)

EDMOND, Oklahoma -
Emergency personnel responded to reports of an explosive device found near the scene of an apartment fire in Edmond, Thursday evening.

Edmond Police confirmed that the bomb squad was called to the Christopher Place apartment complex, located at 101 N. Boulevard after reports of a small explosion.

Police say fire crews responded to a call about a fire at the complex. When they arrived they extinguished a small blaze and noticed what they thought were improvised explosive devices. Fire crews backed away from the scene and called the Edmond Bomb Squad in to investigate.

Members of the Edmond Bomb squad found several IEDs and they say several of them were live. They believe the occupant was working on a device when it accidentally went off. One suspect is being questioned by police.

Investigators say there were some explosive bomb-making materials inside the apartment. Witnesses near the scene say the explosion sounded like a firework going off.

Edmond Police say the area is secure. Surrounding apartments were evacuated because of the threat.

No other information is available at this time.

Bullets & Beans
12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
How can this possibly be happening, aren't pipe bombs illegal?...haven't they been BANNED!!! We must act now, this is long overdue....sound familiar!

MadMonk
12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
The answer is obvious - instigate a 7 day waiting period for any purchase involving pipe.

Achilleslastand
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
How can this possibly be happening, aren't pipe bombs illegal?...haven't they been BANNED!!! We must act now, this is long overdue....sound familiar!

There was also a drowning.....
Guess that means we need to drain all the lakes,rivers etc......opps forgot about the drought. Guess that only leaves the "showpiece" of our big league city ,lake hefner err i mean the bricktown canal.

Bill Robertson
12-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Exactly! Because clearly tens of thousands of people are dying from pipe bombs every year in America!

How many other childish examples do you have?B&Bs point is pretty much valid. Banning guns will not keep criminals and mentally ill people form using them to kill people. Also, hundreds of thousands die from lung cancer each year. Thousands die from distracted driving each year. The world could easily do without cigarettes and talking/texting while driving. Guns seem to be the only cause of death that the media and government want to seriously go after.

kelroy55
12-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Exactly! Because clearly tens of thousands of people are dying from pipe bombs every year in America!

How many other childish examples do you have?

I'm sure they have several more.

kelroy55
12-21-2012, 07:38 AM
B&Bs point is pretty much valid. Hundreds of thousands die from lung cancer each year. Thousands die from distracted driving each year. The world could easily do without cigarettes and talking/texting while driving. Guns seem to be the only cause of death that the media and government want to seriously go after.

Do those that die from lung cancer set off to kill many others? Texting while driving is dangerous, that's why they have laws against it.

kevinpate
12-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Norman had a pipe bomber living in a campus apartment several years back (I think it was the now demolished Parkview Apts.)
If memory serves, he self detonated his one successful creation near the stadium, and even nearer to him.

MadMonk
12-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Do those that die from lung cancer set off to kill many others? Texting while driving is dangerous, that's why they have laws against it.
So, should we take away cellphones from those who don't text and drive?

venture
12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Wish we could take away computers to cut down on the moronic posts on the interwebs. :doh:

kelroy55
12-21-2012, 09:41 AM
So, should we take away cellphones from those who don't text and drive?

Not at all but maybe we should for those who do, besides cellphones aren't made to kill something. Do you think those kids have the right to make pipe bombs?

Of Sound Mind
12-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Wish we could take away computers to cut down on the moronic posts on the interwebs. :doh:
Or you could just stop posting... :irule: (j/k)

venture
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Or you could just stop posting... :irule: (j/k)

They still let you out of the loony bin? :)

kelroy55
12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
They still let you out of the loony bin? :)

I'm betting he has lots of company in there lol

Stew
12-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I really don't know the answer to this. Is it illegal to make explosive devices?

kevinpate
12-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I really don't know the answer to this. Is it illegal to make explosive devices?

Yes, take a look at OSCN Found Document:Bombs and Explosives - Foul, Poisonous, Offensive or Injurious Substances - Threats (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=439089) (21 OS 1767.1)

kelroy55
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
But aren't pipe bombs just part of the Right to Bear Arms?

ou48A
12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Norman had a pipe bomber living in a campus apartment several years back (I think it was the now demolished Parkview Apts.)
If memory serves, he self detonated his one successful creation near the stadium, and even nearer to him.

That wasn’t a pipe bomb.

It was a bomb in a back pack. Many claim he tried to take it into the stadium during the 2005 OU –KSU game. OU security doesn’t allow back packs in the stadium. As normal, I was at this game.

The bomb was built from unstable materials. He blew himself up while trying to reconfigure the bomb under his coat. Many feel that he was going to make another attempt to gain entry into the stadium.

Radical Jihad information and other bomb making material were later found in this guy’s apartment. When the city of Norman blew it up the next afternoon, it scared a lot of people.

He did live in the now demolished Apts… just south of the Duck pond

silvergrove
12-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Boomer Sooner?

ou48A
12-21-2012, 01:02 PM
It will be interesting to learn more about the potential targets of these bombs and what their motivation might have been?

kevinpate
12-21-2012, 01:12 PM
It will be interesting to learn more about the potential targets of these bombs and what their motivation might have been?

Sometimes it's just the love of a fugly fella
Oklahoma Pipe Bombs Blamed On Love Triangle | CDL Life (http://cdllife.com/2012/top-trucking-news/oklahoma-pipe-bombs-blamed-on-love-triangle/)

venture
12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Silly rednecks.

Probably not the most legal way to start cleaning up the gene pool.

positano
12-21-2012, 02:29 PM
What is the basis of your statement that he was trying to reconfigure the bomb under his coat, or that there was radical jihad information in his apartment?

blangtang
12-21-2012, 02:43 PM
What is the basis of your statement that he was trying to reconfigure the bomb under his coat, or that there was radical jihad information in his apartment?

I was at the game and remember thinking it sounded like a car backfired in the parking garage.

Here's a couple loony articles about it:

BELLACIAO - NY Daily News Describes University of Oklahoma Bomber Joel Hinrichs as "Infamous Terrorist" - Michael P. Wright (http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?article11881)

BELLACIAO - Bio-Terror at University of Oklahoma ? - Michael P. Wright (http://bellaciao.org/en/spip.php?article9049)

ou48A
12-21-2012, 04:35 PM

The radical jihad information in his apartment reported by the media. The reconfiguration attempt was believed to the most likely thing that set the bomb off. There were a lot of things that have been said about this incident around Norman by normally well informed people that was different from the official company line.

Bullets & Beans
12-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Who is advocating the ability of ANYONE to make bombs!..it's pretty much the last thing on my list of stupid things to do. I guess using sarcasm to illustrate a point is not obvious enough for some.
The point is, people are going to do stupid and illegal things whether there's a law against it or not. There are those in society naive or stupid enough to believe that passing a law against certain acts will make those acts go away...they wont...never have, never will.

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Who is advocating the ability of ANYONE to make bombs!..it's pretty much the last thing on my list of stupid things to do. I guess using sarcasm to illustrate a point is not obvious enough for some.wont...never have, never will.

I guess you have't followed the nonsensical posts of prunepicker in some of the gun control threads. He advocates allowing anyone to possess any kind of weapon with no exceptions, including bombs.

boscorama
12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Horrors!

CuatrodeMayo
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, take a look at OSCN Found Document:Bombs and Explosives - Foul, Poisonous, Offensive or Injurious Substances - Threats (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=439089) (21 OS 1767.1)

What differentiates a large firecracker from a bomb?

At what point is a device considered a bomb? In times past I've made several homemade firecrackers, including devices utilizing toilet bowl cleaner, aluminum foil, and a plastic bottle...did I make an IED?

ShiroiHikari
12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm having a George Carlin moment here. Why call it an "improvised explosive device"? Call it like it is-- a bomb!

kevinpate
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
What differentiates a large firecracker from a bomb?

At what point is a device considered a bomb? In times past I've made several homemade firecrackers, including devices utilizing toilet bowl cleaner, aluminum foil, and a plastic bottle...did I make an IED?

Like much in life, one's intent is a key factor in distinguishing lawful and unlawful conduct.

Bullets & Beans
12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't give the idiots (lawmakers) any ideas!

Bullets & Beans
12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
You mean laws against illegal drugs?...yeah those work well. Laws only work for the LAW ABIDING. By definition criminals are not LAW ABIDING! Institute a stupid, emotion based law intended to ban a certain class of firearms and guess what? they go to the black market. Still available, just not in the usual places. Unless you are in favor of the police kicking down everyone's door (confiscation), how do you eliminate the supply? The country comparison is apples and oranges, different cultures, different histories etc. So do we need laws against illegal explosives (there does exist legal explosives by the way) yes, certainly, just don't expect the lunatics or idiots to obey them. They are about as effective as a VPO in stopping a bullet.

Jim Kyle
12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I believe the topic of this thread is explosives, not firearms. And explosives are even easier to make at home than are drugs like meth. Just ask Terry Nichols about it.

The formula for black powder used to be found in any encyclopedia. It wasn't all that easy to follow, as I discovered while still in high school, but all three ingredients could be purchased at any drugstore. Fortunately I never mastered the secret, but then I was trying to make firecrackers, not bombs, so I gave up after a few fizzles...

Bullets & Beans
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Given the instance that the "facts" cited are an opinion of an opinion piece, I'll abstain from further comment...what's the point?

Plutonic Panda
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Two Men Charged For Allegedly Making Explosive Device In Edmond - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20498041/two-men-charged-for-allegedly-making-explosive-device-in-edmond)