View Full Version : Fogon De Edgar

IBLEEDRIMSON
12-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I had an appointment with a very small restaurant that I'd like to share with the board. I'm not aware of any other totally Colombian cuisine focused restaurant in OKC metro. This place is so underground that their sign still says Mi Casita ;)

No really, the place is a family owned restaurant and to be blunt, they've had to spend all of their resources on the interior and the sign is going to be addressed. The owner/chef has been a chef for many years in OKC restaurants that have some Colombian dishes and he specialized on those dishes at those restaurants. The family runs it from front to back and most of them have other jobs so they've recently started being open Tuesday-Sunday as they pick up more and more customers. Edgar is a super nice man and likes to interact with his customers and really wants feedback. He takes pride in making everything fresh and you can tell. I personally think that they need to raise their prices because I almost feel guilty getting fresh high quality food for less than what I'd spend at McDonald's or Subway.

They have some really great reviews on Urban spoon.com that are written far better than I can. Give this little place a try and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the food quality, value and service. It's very clean but don't expect amazing ambiance. It's all about the food, value and service.

Fogon de Edgar - Uptown - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1706831/restaurant/Uptown/Fogon-de-Edgar-Oklahoma-City)

labrat3
01-04-2013, 04:18 AM
I concur with the above writer. My wife and I have been there twice and have had some very nice delicious meals there. The staff is super friendly and the chef is wonderful and wants to know if he can do anything else to please us. Really pulling for the the success of this restaurant.

SSEiYah
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
It would be helpful if there was a picture of the menu somewhere. I'm not at all familiar with Columbian food, so I'd like to research the dishes prior to going there.

SSEiYah
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I went there today for lunch. As mentioned, there is NO signage whatsoever.

I had the Carne Asada. It came with Beans (good and flavorful), steamed white rice and lettuce. The Carne Asada had a "different" taste to it, not very seasoned, seemed bland to me, but I'm used to the mexican version. I really have nothing to compare the "flavors" too, other than I will say I'm already planning on a return trip this weekend to try something else after I research what these dishes are.

They let me try a "Empandadas de carne y papa con aji", which is a "fried beef and potato corn purse".

http://imgur.com/Mk2Ig.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GlIhJ.jpg

Mel
01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
That looks yummy. I bet the place smells wonderful.

Easy180
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm intrigued by the "Agua de queso" drink...Cheese water??

soonerguru
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
What is a "corn patty?"

IBLEEDRIMSON
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
What is a "corn patty?"

I'd kind of compare it to a very thick/fluffy corn tortilla that isn't quite as big around.

CCOKC
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
My husband and I went yesterday for lunch on the recommendation of the previous posters. I have driven by this place so many times and have never been in the building. It was a good thing that I had the address because we drove by it twice before we found it. The sign still says Mi Casita. I asked the waitress about that and she told me they are planning on replacing the sign. I am sure that means as soon as they can afford it. They also served us a complimentary empanada. Mine was potato and my husband's was chorizo. They were corn empanadas and not flour like I have have had in the past. Mine was very tasty. I didn't taste my husband's since I do not eat meat but he said it was good. The waitress was very helpful because we were having a little trouble figuring out what to eat. Everything was made fresh for us and was quite good. The chef came out and talked to us to make sure we were pleased with our meals. I hope this place succeeds. Since it is across the street from Shepherd Mall there should be enough customers.

TheTravellers
05-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Went to the new location on SW 74th/Western yesterday before seeing Yerma at OCCC and had a really good meal.

I had the picada (sampler plate), and pretty much everything on there was good, except the arepa (almost everybody on Yelp says they're dry, doughy, old, etc., and they are, but I've never had an arepa before, so I don't know what a "good" one should be). The yucca was better than I've had anywhere else, well-fried and tasty instead of just a plank of something with no taste. Both sausages were good, but funky-tasting (as the wife said), and the rest was just as good. Wife had grilled chicken breast, rice, beans (the sauce was wonderful, she said), and sweet plantains (both plantains we had were good). Split a beef and a chicken empanada, nicely large, tastily-spiced, and had a great sauce (chimichurri?) that went with them (and the rest of the meal). I had the tree tomato drink, which was interesting - tomato taste, but sweetened a bit, quite nice made with water, but might be really good made with milk.

We plan on hitting at least 2 performances during OCCC's next arts season, and will most likely go there beforehand both times, lots of other stuff to try. And we ate around 4 PM and had no need to eat anything else the rest of the night (and I only ate half of the picada).