View Full Version : Airsoft Rifles and knives found in moore public school

Jesseda
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Student arrested after air soft rifles and large knives found | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2012/12/18/student-arrested-after-air-soft-rifles-and-large-knives-found/)

Jesseda
12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Its getting crazy, I am glad that this stuff was found before it could be used

kevinpate
12-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Knives worry me more than the plastic bb guns, assuming this is what they mean by an air soft rifle
Amazon.com: U.S. Marine Corps Airsoft Spring Rifle: Sports & Outdoors (http://tinyurl.com/airsofttoy)

Jesseda
12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I didnt even know what air rifle was until I just looked it up
(why didnt the news just say BB gun that I would have known ) I assumed the worse but the knive thing scares me. I think All schools need to have metal detectors period.

Jesseda
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Can someone change my title post to Plastic Air rifle instead of just rifle my bad I didnt know the difference (call me stupid but I wish they could have said BB Gun)

Martin
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
title changed... and i'll concur that an airsoft rifle is not exactly the same thing as a bb gun... but the two bear more similarity to each other than they do to an actual rifle. -M

Jesseda
12-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Because they are not the same thing.

again Im stupid when it comes to any type of guns so sorry for the not knowing whats what, never owned any of them, well I take that back I had a super soaker gun when I was 8 years old :)

MadMonk
12-18-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd like to hear more of the story on this. If it was simple stupidity (wanting to show off his Airsoft gun to friends), or for a prank, or more nefarious reasons like intimidation, etc. As for the knife, I don't know what kind it was (pocket knife or something like a KA-BAR?), and I know that they are not allowed in schools any more, but I always had my pocket knife with me when I was in school. It just wasn't considered a big deal. "Several large knives" doesn't sound good though.

Either way, the timing couldn't be worse for this kid.

Achilleslastand
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
"Airsoft guns are replica firearms used in Airsoft that fire plastic pellets by way of compressed gas or electric and/or spring-driven pistons. These guns are designed to be non-lethal and to provide realistic replicas.
Depending on the mechanism driving the pellet, an airsoft gun can be operated manually or cycled by either compressed gas such as Green Gas (propane and silicone mix) or CO2, or by compressed air via a spring or an electric motor pulling a piston."

Im suprised the local media hasnt deemed these "airsoft assault rifles" yet. Also would like to know the length of the "large knifes".

MadMonk
12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Just heard a report on the radio that there were four knives and they were long enough to be considered illegal. I think that means longer than 4", but I'm not an expert. I'm sure school rules prohibit it in any case.

Snowman
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Knives worry me more than the plastic bb guns, assuming this is what they mean by an air soft rifle
Amazon.com: U.S. Marine Corps Airsoft Spring Rifle: Sports & Outdoors (http://tinyurl.com/airsofttoy)

Airsoft guns are used for games where players shoot at each other, like paintball guns, but they look more real and do not leave paint when they hit a player.

boscorama
12-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I didnt even know what air rifle was until I just looked it up
(why didnt the news just say BB gun that I would have known ) I assumed the worse but the knive thing scares me. I think All schools need to have metal detectors period.

Well, crap, I'm thinking air rifle would be akin to air guitar.

Bullets & Beans
12-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Jesseda, They, the media thrive on sensationalism, and operate from a position of ignorance where firearms, or things appearing as firearms are concerned. Sometime earlier this year Channel 4 ran a story on an individual arrested by sheriffs deputies, don't remember the county or even the offense, but the reporter Linda Cavanaugh made a big deal about the "arsenal" he possessed. When they showed images of the "arsenal" it consisted of a mix of antique and common hunting arms. No "assault" rifles, no 10,000 rounds of ammunition etc. I believe the total numbers amounted to maybe 12-13. It was laughable.The point is ANYTHING the media, local or national says about guns MUST be screened for accuracy and the presence of an agenda. This is what is so frustrating to those of us "gun guys" when media reporting on guns is considered.

kelroy55
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Jesseda, They, the media thrive on sensationalism, and operate from a position of ignorance where firearms, or things appearing as firearms are concerned. Sometime earlier this year Channel 4 ran a story on an individual arrested by sheriffs deputies, don't remember the county or even the offense, but the reporter Linda Cavanaugh made a big deal about the "arsenal" he possessed. When they showed images of the "arsenal" it consisted of a mix of antique and common hunting arms. No "assault" rifles, no 10,000 rounds of ammunition etc. I believe the total numbers amounted to maybe 12-13. It was laughable.The point is ANYTHING the media, local or national says about guns MUST be screened for accuracy and the presence of an agenda. This is what is so frustrating to those of us "gun guys" when media reporting on guns is considered.

Good thing you gun guys don't have an agenda.

mkjeeves
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
My neighbor's kids shot a hole in a large fixed double pane window on the back of my house from at least 150' away with an airsoft. I'm on a corner lot on an acre. They were in the back yard with a full backyard of another house on a large lot between us. It might actually be more like 200'. They claimed, and I believe them, they were shooting at targets attached the fence in their backyard. Based on that experience, I'd say an airsoft rifle is not close to a supersoaker or any other toy.

MadMonk
12-19-2012, 06:39 PM
You sure it wasn't a BB or pellet that did it? My son has two airsoft guns and I can't imagine it ever doing that unless its been modified. Those plastic BBs are so light, they should bounce off of glass, even a closer ranges than you stated.

Hawk405359
12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
You sure it wasn't a BB or pellet that did it? My son has two airsoft guns and I can't imagine it ever doing that unless its been modified. Those plastic BBs are so light, they should bounce off of glass, even a closer ranges than you stated.

Yeah, those numbers just sound off too me. I can't imagine an airsoft gun having that much power after a hundred feet, much less 150 or 200.

mkjeeves
12-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I heard it, (and a couple that hit the house before one hit the glass), went to the back door and saw the kids with the guns over the distance poking over the top of the wood fence, so I walked down the street to talk to dad at his front door. I never saw the guns up close but dad said they were air soft rifles. Dad also hasn't made good on replacing the glass yet like he promised either. He did bring a glass guy over to get a price and probably pooped in his pants when he found out the expense. It's a large piece of glass.

I do not know if air soft or BB guns are illegal to shoot in OKC but I read on the net both are illegal to shoot in Edmond. (It was suggested by several people I report the incident to the cops, which I haven't.) And more on topic, I read it's a crime in edmond to represent a toy gun as a real gun, brandishing if nothing else. I would have thought that would be a state law of some sort that would cover Moore too where this event occured, like robbing a store with a toy gun is armed robbery, but I never researched it. Of course we don't know if these air softs in the story in Moore were represented to anyone as anything, or even shown to anyone before discovery.

mkjeeves
12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Cone shaped BB type hole in my glass at the arrow.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/38/windowa.jpg

ljbab728
12-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Which certainly shows how you think. I would absolutely call 12-13 an arsenal so I agree with them.

MadMonk
12-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Which certainly shows how you think. I would absolutely call 12-13 an arsenal so I agree with them.
Technically, anything more than one gun is an arsenal, but you must agree that they chose that word because of its shock value. A "gun collection" is the same as an arsenal, but arsenal sounds more sensational for a story when you are trying to instill fear.

Bill Robertson
12-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Technically, anything more than one gun is an arsenal, but you must agree that they chose that word because of its shock value. A "gun collection" is the same as arsenal, but arsenal sounds more sensational for a story when you are trying to instill fear.True. I have 14 myself. It's a collection. All but 2 are around for sentimental reasons. Great-grandfathers shotgun and rifle, a couple of my grandfathers shotguns, a beautifully engraved shotgun from my wifes family, my first 22 rifle from when I was a kid, etc. I've never shot most of them an I'm sure I never will. If the media came into my house to show my "arsenal" it would be purely for hype. BTW, for the 2 guns I do shoot I stock up on ammo when I find deals on the internet. Just after stocking I might have 2 to 3 thousand rounds. They get shot at paper targets. Anyone that simply connects a number of guns or amount of ammo owned without considering the type of guns, use of such and reasons for owning doesn't have a clue.

kelroy55
12-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah, those numbers just sound off too me. I can't imagine an airsoft gun having that much power after a hundred feet, much less 150 or 200.

From Wiki:

The maximum effective range of field-legal airsoft weapons is around 100 yd (91 m) with a highly upgraded sniper. Most airsoft guns used for field play will have an effective range of around 140–220 feet, depending on the intended role of the weapon.

MadMonk
12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
From Wiki:

The maximum effective range of field-legal airsoft weapons is around 100 yd (91 m) with a highly upgraded sniper. Most airsoft guns used for field play will have an effective range of around 140–220 feet, depending on the intended role of the weapon.
Yeah, but what's the definition of "effective" in this case? You feel it hit you? Have you ever shot one of these? Their biggest danger is to the eyes, which is why eye protection is s must, but I've been hit in the face at 50ft and it stung a bit, but didn't break the skin.

mkjeeves
12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
effective enough to break glass at 150'

And I found the answer to one of my questions. Yes, it is illegal to shoot them in OKC outside of an approved range.

§ 30-308. - Discharging firearms; exceptions, shooting galleries

No person shall discharge any species of firearms, air guns, stun guns, or weapons, except as provided hereinafter:

(1)

Shotguns. The discharging of shotguns, if done from a point of at least 600 feet, from any residence or place of business in which persons reside, or engage in business or congregate, provided no shells containing projectiles larger than No. 2 shots may be used.

(2)

Police Officers. Police Officers, or those impressed into peace officers' duties by the Police Department, who, in the performance of their duties, discharge firearms, stun guns or other authorized weapons as the occasion warrants.

(3)

Shooting gallery. Any type of firearm discharged in an approved shooting gallery or on an approved shooting range.

MadMonk
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Did you find the airsoft round nearby or in your house? Many times the bbs are brightly colored and pretty easy to see.

I guess I'll have to inform my OKC police officer neighbor that his kid and mine can no longer have airsoft wars in our yards.

kelroy55
12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but what's the definition of "effective" in this case? You feel it hit you? Have you ever shot one of these? Their biggest danger is to the eyes, which is why eye protection is s must, but I've been hit in the face at 50ft and it stung a bit, but didn't break the skin.

I know there are different kinds and some can be modified to be more powerful, not saying that was the case with the window.

Bullets & Beans
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
My agenda is the truth, seldom heard in the media concerning guns.

mkjeeves
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
An Oklahoma state law:

§21-1364.

DISCHARGING FIREARM

Every person who willfully discharges any pistol, rifle, shotgun,
airgun or other weapon, or throws any other missile in any public
place, or in any place where there is any person to be endangered
thereby, although no injury to any person shall ensue, is guilty of a
misdemeanor. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of
this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license
pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections
1 through 25 of this act, shall have the license suspended for a
period of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative
fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by
the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in
violation of the provisions of this section.

MadMonk
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
It seems I'm a scofflaw even with my nerf guns with that wording.

Bill Robertson
12-21-2012, 07:44 AM
I guess I'm going to be more observant when they do training using airsoft guns at work. I sometimes watch. I'll stay a bit farther away now.

Bullets & Beans
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM
So I guess if my intent is sinister, then it's an arsenal. If not, it's a collection?...either way I only have two arms and two hands and have yet to determine how to shoot with my feet, so this is a problem in what way?