View Full Version : Cox Email still down

stick47
12-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Went off around dinner time last night. Still no email. No notice posted on their webpage. Webmail is also down.

Filifan
12-15-2012, 06:15 AM
[Residential Support Alert serving Oklahoma City | Cox Communications (http://ww2.cox.com/residential/oklahomacity/support/alert.cox?alertId=bc49bbd0-466b-11e2-fcc8-000000000000)

kevinpate
12-15-2012, 06:31 AM
The more I hear about inadequate service from Cox, the more I appreciate having booted them from the haus back in '09.

Jon27
12-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I switched to iCloud mail a few months back because I was tired of the crappy webmail application. I would get errors all the time trying to check my Cox account from my computer or phone. It's very unreliable.

BBatesokc
12-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Cox Internet is all we have (got rid of our landline and cable all-together). Their Internet has been reliable enough - though they tend to have to make a service call once/twice a year to figure out why my Internet speed slows down.

I'm always leery to use provider email services from companies like Cox. They know good and well if you start using it, that will be one reason you'll never give up their service - because of the hassle of getting everyone to stop emailing that address you no longer have. IMO either get a proprietary email address or go with Gmail. I personally like gmail and have never had an issue. However, I also have proprietary email that is necessary for correspondence with certain trade organizations.

Lauri101
12-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Here's latest from Cox, as of 1:00 AM Sunday morning:
Restoration continues and we are actively exploring multiple approaches to restore email services. All available resources are engaged across multiple teams.These teams will continue working around the clock until your email is restored. Based on our investigation, event logs, and other data available to us, we have no indication that this incident is the result of a security breach that would put customer
information at risk. We will provide additional updates by 9 am ET. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you

We've had Cox (and predecessor Roadrunner) since they started and this is first time email hasn't been restored in 24 hours or less. Brian is right - once you're hooked into an email address, it's a PITA to change it. The people who I care about hearing from know if I don't respond to their email within 12 hours, they need to email me on my alternate yahoo address or text me. If the Air Force taught me nothing more, I did learn the value of redundant systems!

Easy180
12-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Most of what we get is junk anyway so this extended outage doesn't really effect us especially since we also use gmail

Mark Horn
12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
48 hours!! Was Cox not perpared for this? No backup system!!!! Wow

OKCTalker
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Update Sunday at noon:
Our teams are making progress in our email service restoration efforts. Through our investigation, we have isolated the cause of the failure to the email system platform which ultimately affected both the primary and secondary failover (back-up) systems. Currently, all incoming messages are queued in our system and we expect to deliver messages to customers on a rolling basis as we bring the systems back online. Teams across all levels of our organization remain intensely focused on the restoration efforts. Unfortunately, we do not expect services to be restored today. We do understand the impact this is having on our customers, which is why we have deployed every resource possible to working this issue. While we are focused on restoring email access as quickly as possible, the multiple components and processes that make up our email system require care, and some time, to bring them back online. Our next scheduled update is 3:00 pm, however we will update this alert with new information as we have it.

bluedogok
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Cox Internet is all we have (got rid of our landline and cable all-together). Their Internet has been reliable enough - though they tend to have to make a service call once/twice a year to figure out why my Internet speed slows down.

I'm always leery to use provider email services from companies like Cox. They know good and well if you start using it, that will be one reason you'll never give up their service - because of the hassle of getting everyone to stop emailing that address you no longer have. IMO either get a proprietary email address or go with Gmail. I personally like gmail and have never had an issue. However, I also have proprietary email that is necessary for correspondence with certain trade organizations.
I had the same Earthlink email for 14 years, first as dial-up, then with Sprint Broadband Direct. When I moved to Austin they offered Earthlink High-Speed on either cable or DSL, we had the cable option on Time Warner there. When I moved to Denver they no longer had those options, we went with Comcast (have had Directv for 14 years) and the only thing that I use the Comcast email for is messages from them. I got my own domain many years ago and use that for all most email, one address for personal correspondence and one for newsletters and such which is what the Earthlink email became after so many years of use. It was more of an issue for my wife because she only used the Earthlink email so we switched her to a Gmail account, I also have a Gmail account, got it when I got an Android phone and I use it for more generic stuff where it might show up on professional name lists (AIA, LinkedIn, etc.) and I only use it for things like that.

Jim Kyle
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
See this: http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/32859-cox-email-still-down.html

They say that the problem affected their backups also, which is why it's taking so long.

zookeeper
12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
We had Cox and left for AT&T Uverse. They offered to let us keep the email addresses for a few dollars a month. However, we ended up back with Cox anyway as the speeds for Uverse weren't consistently anywhere close to the package we had for a similar price with Cox. Internet outages with Cox are very rare, however I would understand being upset with this email thing, we don't use Cox email anymore, moved to Gmail.

windowphobe
12-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Longest email outage I've ever had on my own domain was about 8 hours.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Cox Communications residential customers in Oklahoma are without email service | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/cox-communications-residential-customers-in-oklahoma-are-without-email-service/article/3738178)

OKCTalker
12-16-2012, 08:46 PM
The Cox emails are working again for me and Mrs. Talker.

SoonerDave
12-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Concur with this completely. Cox Internet service has been remarkably consistent for our purposes, so I really can't gripe about it at all. Few times I have had issues, they've been adequately responsive.

While I do have several Cox accounts, they were largely orphaned when I started using GMail. As far as the hassle of changing email addresses, I think there's a service out there that will give you a "public" email address, but then allow you to configure it to go to whichever "real" service/account you want. Blast if the name doesn't escape me at the moment, tho...

windowphobe
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Oddly, the first thing I got when Cox email was flowing again was a fake letter from Cox, a phishing expedition.

bombermwc
12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
I got a whopping $5 from them to compensate for the down time.

Way to make it up to your customers. I'd get slapped with a fee if i stopped paying for almost a week.