View Full Version : OKC Mayor Wins Urban Design Award

Just the facts
12-13-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm speechless - almost. Did he show them his idea for the Oklahoma City Boulevard?

Oklahoma City mayor will be honored for urban design leadership | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-mayor-will-be-honored-for-urban-design-leadership/article/3737000?custom_click=pod_lead_news)

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett is set to receive a national architecture award next year in recognition of his role in advancing MAPS 3.

The American Architectural Foundation and U.S. Conference of Mayors announced Wednesday at a news conference outside Chesapeake Energy Arena that Cornett will receive the Joseph P. Riley Jr. Award for Leadership in Urban Design. Cornett will be presented the award in Washington, D.C., this spring.

LakeEffect
12-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Speechless is a good word.

CaptDave
12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I think Mayor Cornett has been a very good mayor overall, but his lack of leadership on the boulevard design is disappointing. It may be a matter of picking his battles, but that one is too big to remain on the sidelines and watch ODOT and PW build a poorly conceived NW Expressway clone through the area of OKC with the greatest development potential.

Of Sound Mind
12-13-2012, 08:48 AM
I think Mayor Cornett has been a very good mayor overall, but his lack of leadership on the boulevard design is disappointing. It may be a matter of picking his battles, but that one is too big to remain on the sidelines and watch ODOT and PW build a poorly conceived NW Expressway clone through the area of OKC with the greatest development potential.
Up until the last couple years, I would have agreed with you. But, IMHO, he has shown significant poor judgment and/or leadership in the whole MAPS 3 initiative, not just regarding The Boulevard... the convention center fiasco is a pretty big blemish on his record from my viewpoint and he lost a lot of credibility and respect when the substation battle was going on and really hasn't regained it since — at least not for me and many who I know.

Spartan
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm speechless - almost. Did he show them his idea for the Oklahoma City Boulevard?

Oklahoma City mayor will be honored for urban design leadership | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-mayor-will-be-honored-for-urban-design-leadership/article/3737000?custom_click=pod_lead_news)

Do I get to claim my award for forum diplomacy afterward?

CaptDave
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Up until the last couple years, I would have agreed with you. But, IMHO, he has shown significant poor judgment and/or leadership in the whole MAPS 3 initiative, not just regarding The Boulevard... the convention center fiasco is a pretty big blemish on his record from my viewpoint and he lost a lot of credibility and respect when the substation battle was going on and really hasn't regained it since — at least not for me and many who I know.

I would have to agree with you - he did seem to get very quiet after that time. It is unfortunate since I think the vast majority of people who have been paying attention to the MAPS CC discussion agree with Mayor Cornett on the best location. It really is too bad.

Spartan
12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
He took his ball and went home when the Council shut him down on the Grand Prix, which is a shame, because you are all right that his judgment is far better than the Council's.