View Full Version : Best Places to Buy Steak for Home Cookin

SSEiYah
12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
If I could, I'd be eating at Red Prime, Mahogany, etc on a regular basis. Unfortunately, my paycheck does not allow that, so I have to look at other more affordable options. Either way, I have no problem firing up the grill and serving some T-Bones or NY Strips at the dinner table at home. I'm a big steak fan and I'd thought I list my recommendations, I'd love to hear others as well.

Best cheap steak that tastes good: Wheeler's, near I35 and SE 44th. Very good prices, at times some of the cheapest I have seen in the metro as they have weekly sales. The steaks are decently cut, but not real thick. Still a great "bang for the buck". I like buying their steaks here when I have guests over. (Mon-Sat, 9-6)

Best medium priced choice steak: Cossey's, Mustang Rd and SW 74th. A bit of a drive from OKC, but these folks have some really good steak for the price, with both prime and choice grades. I've had both, but it seems their Choice steak is nearly up to par with prime grade as far as marbling is concerned. Prices are very good, however you need to factor in the gas/driving time if you are not near Mustang. (Mon-Sat, 10-7)

Best higher grade/prime steak: Rhett's, near May and Britton Rd, Rhetts is usually our place of choice when we want a good prime grade steak. They are a bit pricey, however it is worth it in my opinion. They will preseason the steaks for you (which is actually a pretty good combination of seasoning) and also include free mashed potatoes with any purchase. Just put the steaks on the grill and the potatoes in the oven and you are good to go. (Tues-Sat, 10-6)

As far as other options, I've felt Kamps on Western was a bit overpriced for the quality of steak you get. Whole Foods has pretty good steaks if you are needing something on a Sunday.

soonerguru
12-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Whole Foods.

BBatesokc
12-11-2012, 04:18 AM
People are going to scoff, and I have no issue with the recommendations above, but I've gotta say, the best value for the money that i get is the bacon wrapped filets from Braums.

I know, who the heck buys steak from Braums, but I was pleasantly surprised and have been buying them for years.

We've had fun with some of our snootier guests and served them without telling them. They always loved the flavor and appropriate size.

Prices have gone up over the last year or so, but I think they run about $6 for 2.

I like steak, but I severely limit how much red meat that I eat and the size of these steaks is perfect.

onthestrip
12-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Best value IMO is from Sams.

Buffalo Bill
12-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Best value IMO is from Sams.

I would totally agree with this. As unabashedly horrible as any of the beef products are from Wal-Mart, the beef from Sam's is across the spectrum from it. All USDA Choice. Get a whole tenderloin, rib eye, or strip and cut to thickness.

That being said, the recommendations from the OP are spot on.

As for the Braum's products, most include the dreaded, "may be injected with up to xx% of a patented solution to preserve flavor". Yikes.

Mr. Cotter
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
If I'm making a nice steak dinner at home, I'm buying from The Meat House.

Edmond Oklahoma Butcher - The Meat House (http://www.themeathouse.com/store-location/Oklahoma/Edmond.aspx)

MonkeesFan
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
If I'm making a nice steak dinner at home, I'm buying from The Meat House.

Edmond Oklahoma Butcher - The Meat House (http://www.themeathouse.com/store-location/Oklahoma/Edmond.aspx)

Looks very good but pricy and far from me but I will have to make the trip sometime!

Mr. Cotter
12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
It's not cheap, but the quality is unmatched.

MonkeesFan
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
It's not cheap, but the quality is unmatched.

I can see why, I will make a trip next weekend :D

soonerguru
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
When I buy from Whole Foods, I get the Prime ribeyes, but I have them cut them in half so they're easier to grill and it makes the portions more human scaled.

Mr. Cotter
12-12-2012, 07:35 AM
I have them cut them in half so they're easier to grill and it makes the portions more human scaled.

So that makes these Jeff Speck approved steaks?:wink:

CuatrodeMayo
12-12-2012, 07:56 AM
The last time I grilled steak for guests, I bought them at Sprouts on May. They happend to have sirloin on sale that day crazy cheap. They turned out to be the best steaks to grace my table.

Debzkidz
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I completely agree with the Meat House. Amazing steaks.

Also, if I'm not wanting to take out a second mortgage for a couple of steaks, I've had some really good ones from the butcher counter at Crest.

bhawes
12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Try wheelers Meat Market. Im upset with braums and will never eat there after a braums truck reck my car and braums low ball me and my lawyer.

CuatrodeMayo
12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/memes-dating-site-murderer-hobbies-and-interests.jpg

MonkeesFan
12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Try wheelers Meat Market. Im upset with braums and will never eat there after a braums truck reck my car and braums low ball me and my lawyer.

Umm, what?

RadicalModerate
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm glad that someone decided to start another thread on obtaining building materials for a DIY Kitchen Project. I'm also glad to read so many good suggestions. I've never had a bad steak from the meat counter at the Homeland on N. May and a couple of the best steaks I've ever had were their Angus Prime. Pricey? A little. But worth it. BTW: Braums has two different types of steaks: The little bacon wrapped filets and THE OTHER ONES. The Other Ones are far more expensive, yet you really do get what you pay for. Since Rhett's is so close to the house, I think the next time I'm thinking about steak I'll "bite the bullet" and buy one there.

ctchandler
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
You can get excellent steaks at Holder Brothers Beef at The Shoppes at Veranda 15220 N. Western Ave., Suite E1 Edmond, OK 73013. It's really hard to beat Rhett's though.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm all over dat, amigo.
(Translation: Thank you for the suggestion. I am confident, based upon previous investments related to harmoniously intersecting paradigms on this level of the ramp to self-actualization vis-a-vis the cultural meme suggested/demanded by Bro. Masow/etc and so forth =) that The location referred to is the place to buy a good steak. Especially because it's nearly as close to the house as Rhett's.

Yet . . . Somehow . . . Cusak's seems to be missing here.....

The best part of all this is that at least someone started thinking about cooking at home rather than selfishly depriving restaurant/hospitality workers of a job involving prep/cleanup and all the rest.
Oh . . . Wait. I think I misplaced a decimal point or a transitive verb or sumpin' . . . Home Cooking Bad. Bad Steak Restaurant Good. NOT =)

ctchandler
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
RadicalModerate,
Most people aren't aware that they can drive to 301 S. W. 12th and buy anything from Cusack's. Just bring cash or check because I don't think they take credit cards. Somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong. I have bought from them since the 80's. Great suggestion. Rhett buys his meat from Cusack's.
C. T.

Yet . . . Somehow . . . Cusak's seems to be missing here.....

okieinindy
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
They do accept credit cards as well.