View Full Version : Cuernos (formerly Cimarron Steak House)

MonkeesFan
12-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Has anybody tried their steaks? Just wondering if I should try it or not, my friend did tell me it was great so I might go on Sunday but I want to hear from you all here too....

kevinpate
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
It's been a while and I dinna gamble on the low dollar loss leader they offered at the time. I had an acceptable ribeye steak. Nothing that made me wanna rave about it, but nothing to grouse about either. They were somewhat crowded, and we were in the upper level, which was quieter than I imagined it would be given the noise at ground level.

Staff was friendly and attentive, a nice plus.

MadMonk
12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
It's been a while since I was there. It's not the greatest steak, but it's not inedible. They season it pretty heavily though. I remember my steak being a little too salty for me (and I like salt).

boscorama
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Went once, had a ribeye which was decent. "Baked" potato was a joke, as expected.

The atmosphere wasn't particularly to my liking. I'd go back if the occasion arises but it will never be my suggestion.

Mel
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Too salty and loud.

MonkeesFan
12-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Thank you all, it would not hurt to try though so if I do not like it, I will not go back

BBatesokc
12-08-2012, 06:15 AM
I used to eat there for lunch when I worked nearby. It was never anything special, but it was a cheap steak lunch. I'd go there for a cheaper steak lunch before I'd go to Cattleman's.

Fine enough for a group of co-workers to go for lunch or some friends. Definitely not a date place or a place to treat yourself or a lunch to look forward to IMO.

The quality of steak however is better and half the price of the steak served on the Vast buffet.

bluedogok
12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I ate there once.....

bhawes
12-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I ate there once.....

In Oklahoma City IF you are looking for steaks Salt Grass and Long Horn are the best place to buy a steak lunch dinner.

OSUMom
12-08-2012, 06:24 PM
For a lower priced steak it isn't half bad. Decent. But DO NOT order the chicken fried steak. My husband tried that last time we went (once in a while we want steak but don't want to drop a lot of money). I was in the mood for steak and he wasn't so we went there and he figured a steak place would have a decent chicken fried steak. More like cafeteria type, processed frozen patty. I never did ask how the gravy was. The fact that he never commented on it (and to him the way the gravy tastes is very important) tells me how bad the chicken fried steak was.

ljbab728
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't been there since it's been called Cimarron Steak House. I used to go there occasionally when they had some really good touring country entertaiment on their stage. I remember seeing Tanya Tucker and Lacy J Dalton perform there along with a few others. The food was fine but it wasn't the reason for going.

bluedogok
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
In Oklahoma City IF you are looking for steaks Salt Grass and Long Horn are the best place to buy a steak lunch dinner.
Salt Grass is part of the Landry's chain, it is pretty good, we ate at one in Austin occasionally and one here in Parker. We went to Texas Land & Cattle more often in Austin, it was closer to our house.

I ate at Cimarron with a group in the late 90's (moved to Austin from OKC in 2003), just wasn't good to me, there are many better places in OKC to get a steak, even a less expensive steak.

I haven't been there since it's been called Cimarron Steak House. I used to go there occasionally when they had some really good touring country entertaiment on their stage. I remember seeing Tanya Tucker and Lacy J Dalton perform there along with a few others. The food was fine but it wasn't the reason for going.
Was that when it was Doc's? That was a part of the Old San Francisco steak house group, the OSF in Austin closed in the mid-2000's and I think the one in Dallas closed awhile back as well.

MonkeesFan
12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
For a lower priced steak it isn't half bad. Decent. But DO NOT order the chicken fried steak. My husband tried that last time we went (once in a while we want steak but don't want to drop a lot of money). I was in the mood for steak and he wasn't so we went there and he figured a steak place would have a decent chicken fried steak. More like cafeteria type, processed frozen patty. I never did ask how the gravy was. The fact that he never commented on it (and to him the way the gravy tastes is very important) tells me how bad the chicken fried steak was.

Don't worry, I hate chicken fried steak

MonkeesFan
12-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I tried it today, it was decent.....

ljbab728
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Was that when it was Doc's? That was a part of the Old San Francisco steak house group, the OSF in Austin closed in the mid-2000's and I think the one in Dallas closed awhile back as well.

I have been drawing a blank for some reason as to the name it had when it first opened. Doc's doesn't sound right though.

After a little research in the Oklahoman's archives I came up with it. It was named Henson's in connection with Henson Cargill.

Sooner_Fan
12-10-2012, 08:57 AM
If you want a decent cheap steak it is good. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I eat there probably once a month or two for lunch.

I think there steaks are cooked over real wood as they have a decent wood flavor to them.

Larry OKC
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
It was called "Doc" Severinsen's at one point (real name, Carl Hilding Severinsen) He was best known for leading the NBC Orchestra on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

ljbab728
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
It was called "Doc" Severinsen's at one point (real name, Carl Hilding Severinsen) He was best known for leading the NBC Orchestra on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

You're correct. I remember that now. We went much more often when it was Henson's.

mikeareese
12-12-2012, 02:14 AM
For the price, its not bad. I like the Fries.

ABryant
12-12-2012, 05:36 AM
This place is a gamblers meal. 30% chance of an awesome steak, 20% chance of a burnt piece of fat, and 50% chance of an average steak. I have a good friend who always wants to go there, and is probably the only place I have requested a new steak 1/4 of the times I have been there.

SSEiYah
01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Was Henson's a dance club or something? I've heard some stories from folks this was an old dance club / music venue. I've always wondered what it was like before it was Cimarron.

As far as the current steakhouse, well if you want a cheap steak, Cimarron is number one on my list. The 12oz sirloin is still $9.99 and comes with a side and salad, hard to beat that. I go here for lunch from time to time. I'd suggest telling the waitress "light seasoning" as some previous posters mentioned they have a very salty seasoning they use. Either way most cuts are still high in fat, and not the good kind. I'm assuming they use "select grade" which is the lowest quality, however again you are paying $9.99 for a 12oz steak meal so what do you expect?

Mel
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
I always thought is was "Okey Dokey" grade like the meat I use to get at "Griders".

ljbab728
01-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Was Henson's a dance club or something? I've heard some stories from folks this was an old dance club / music venue. I've always wondered what it was like before it was Cimarron.

I went there a number of times when it was Henson's. Dancing was available but I normally went for the shows. They had some very good country entertainers who appeared in concert there.

billokc
12-16-2020, 04:42 PM
I read on another site the the property is up for sale. Lots of mixed comments regarding food quality, and cleanliness of the place. I never ate there, so I wouldn't know. Apparently another casualty of the covid shut down.

Dob Hooligan
12-16-2020, 05:39 PM
I read on another site the the property is up for sale. Lots of mixed comments regarding food quality, and cleanliness of the place. I never ate there, so I wouldn't know. Apparently another casualty of the covid shut down.

"Those most at risk of death from Covid-19 are the elderly with underlying health conditions" applies to business and humans alike, IMO.

HangryHippo
12-16-2020, 06:12 PM
"Those most at risk of death from Covid-19 are the elderly with underlying health conditions" applies to business and humans alike, IMO.
This.

Ward
12-16-2020, 06:25 PM
There was discussion about the Cimarron Steakhouse here on OKCTalk this summer, late July.

It was stated there that the owners had it for many many years and wanted to retire, so they did. Closed it down and went home.

I used to eat there a lot when I worked down the street starting in 1997. They had a $2.99 steak special (which went up every year in price). We would go there for the lunch specials.

Had a company Christmas party there in 2003-ish, food was still pretty good there.

Over the years the price went up and the quality and taste of the Steak Special sank, it got to where the steak was just gristle and junk.

Actually it was a decent enough meal. The steak was reasonably decent, not bad at all, and it came with salad and baked potato. This was back when I started eating there in 1997.

It was originally opened as Henson's (Carlton Henson, a OKC guy, had a one hit wonder "Skip A Rope, back in 1968) then Doc Severinsen bought it.

Here's a link that will hopefully take you to where you can read about it, and Doc's involvement. https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44586&page=18 Go to page 18, -starting date 7-20-20
-

Laramie
12-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Went there several times on the invite of a friend. They offered free all-you-can-eat bowls of pinto beans; the steaks IMO were average--nothing to brag or boast about.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another restaurant take over that location--give it two years.

Bill Robertson
12-17-2020, 08:03 AM
I'm curious about what will become of that building. It's a really big building for a restaurant.

zefferoni
12-18-2020, 07:01 AM
I'm curious about what will become of that building. It's a really big building for a restaurant.
There was another thread about it somewhere where someone said it was originally set up for concerts (which explains the balcony seating), so maybe it could be a concert hall or something.

Pete
12-18-2020, 07:29 AM
^

Yes, it was originally Doc Severson's and they had a lot of live music.

Bill Robertson
12-18-2020, 07:36 AM
It would make a good bar/grill/concert venue. With good food, service and good acts I think it could work. It would REALLY take the right ownership/management.

mkjeeves
12-18-2020, 08:30 AM
It would make a good bar/grill/concert venue. With good food, service and good acts I think it could work. It would REALLY take the right ownership/management.

I don't know. Location is a challenge. The city has moved on from Meridian as a destination.

Did Doc actually own any significant interest in the place or was it mostly a name licensing deal? I know he owned some horse facilities near Pauls Valley or Purcell in those years. I am surprised to learn this morning he is in his 90's and still alive.

mkjeeves
12-18-2020, 11:49 AM
Story from 1983

https://oklahoman.com/article/2031586/doc-severinsen-takes-interest-in-okc-club

rizzo
12-20-2020, 02:04 PM
There was another thread about it somewhere where someone said it was originally set up for concerts (which explains the balcony seating), so maybe it could be a concert hall or something.

I saw Ray Stevens there a long time ago when it was still Doc's.

unfundedrick
12-22-2020, 02:28 PM
^

Yes, it was originally Doc Severson's and they had a lot of live music.

Actually it was originally Henson's (Henson Cargill). I went there quite a few times for both concerts and to eat and dance. They had a nice size dance floor with a DJ playing mostly Country Western music. They covered the dance floor with tables for the concerts. One memorable concert I saw there was Lacy J Dalton.

Urbanized
12-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Actually it was originally Henson's (Henson Cargill). I went there quite a few times for both concerts and to eat and dance. They had a nice size dance floor with a DJ playing mostly Country Western music. They covered the dance floor with tables for the concerts. One memorable concert I saw there was Lacy J Dalton.
https://obits.oklahoman.com/obituaries/oklahoman/obituary.aspx?n=henson-cargill&pid=86971250&fhid=6294

...In 1981, Henson told his family he was coming off the road and going to build a county music showplace in Oklahoma City. The night club called HENSONS was a fabulous first class show place. He would be proud to ask top entertainers to perform in. Fans could see him as well as all the major country acts of the day. Some of the artists that performed there included Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison, Glenn Campbell, Waylon Jennings, and many more...

Pete
12-24-2020, 07:47 AM
It became Doc Severisen's in 1983.

Bellaboo
12-24-2020, 01:03 PM
I remember seeing Henson Cargill and the Hatt Band there many years ago.... 80's

Bowser214
12-14-2022, 05:23 AM
Just saw this post on Neighborhood App

Pete
12-14-2022, 06:03 AM
It will be a Latino nightclub and restaurant:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086569555968

Ward
12-14-2022, 07:56 AM
What a memory. I used to work down the street and we'd have lunch there every week, sometimes twice a week.

At the time it was $2.99 and was actually pretty darn decent. IIRC when I first started going there it was $1.99 and good.

It wasn't gourmet good, but it was pretty darn decent enough that you'd go back.