View Full Version : New Orleans Hornets will be changing their name

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
to the Pelicans next year, that is horrible, here is the link

Report: Hornets to change name to New Orleans Pelicans in 2013-2014 - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21264614/report-hornets-to-change-name-to-new-orleans-pelicans-in-2013-2014)

Hawk405359
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
On the plus side, it's expected that Charlotte will go back to being the Hornets.

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I saw the design of the Pelicans logo, it is not official or anything but I have to say it looks sharp

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I am all for changing the name, but Pelicans? ROFLMAO. That sounds like the name of a minor league ice hockey team in Florida.

dankrutka
12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Most NBAnames sound dumb initially. You get used to them, and this name is relevant to NOLA. How dumb is it to name a team "Magic?" But we're used to it.

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Most NBAnames sound dumb initially. You get used to them, and this name is relevant to NOLA. How dumb is it to name a team "Magic?" But we're used to it.

Magic may be dumb but it is very fitting like Disney is like Magic and Disney is in Orlando so it is the perfect name for Orlando

kevinpate
12-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Maybe it was down to Pelicans, Oil Spills, and Graft. If so, Pelicans ain't a bad call at all. But, do they wear Pelican briefs or pelican boxers under their uniforms? Julia might be curious.

Just the facts
12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Maybe it was down to Pelicans, Oil Spills, and Graft. If so, Pelicans ain't a bad call at all.

Do you ever watch Demetri Martin?

v1WyFdM0DGg

dankrutka
12-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Magic may be dumb but it is very fitting like Disney is like Magic and Disney is in Orlando so it is the perfect name for Orlando

And this is exactly the same reasoning why Pelicans works.

Just the facts
12-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, there are pelicans in New Orleans, no one is denying that. We are questioning the choice of naming the team after them.

Dubya61
12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I was chuckling just last week about the Utah Jazz, NO Hornets and Charlotte Bobcats. Thank god we didn't get saddled with the (not-so-Super) Sonics.
I think the Magic moniker is cool, but then I think that any team name that doesn't end in an "s" is cool.

ddavidson8
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I love the name but wish the logo was more cartoonish.

Jim Kyle
12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, there are pelicans in New Orleans, no one is denying that. We are questioning the choice of naming the team after them.Perhaps the fact that the pelican is Louisiana's state bird, and is an icon for the entire state, has something to do with it...

HangryHippo
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Just doesn't work at all for me. But based on the other two choices, Pelicans probably was the best. But really, they should've talked about switching with the Utah Jazz to have that name and then Salt Lake could have come up with something better.

MonkeesFan
12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I love the name but wish the logo was more cartoonish.

It is just a fan design, you want cartoonish, here you go

betts
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Just doesn't work at all for me. But based on the other two choices, Pelicans probably was the best. But really, they should've talked about switching with the Utah Jazz to have that name and then Salt Lake could have come up with something better.

Agree about the name not working for you and the name exchange. If we're going to do a round robin with names anyway, NO should get the Jazz name from Utah. Then Utah could be the Angels (an alternate name I heard for the Pelicans). Personally, I liked the Krewe. Pelicans sounds like a name my girls might have picked for their T-ball team. But whatever, it's their choice and maybe it will bring in a new fan or two. If Charlotte can take back the Hornets name, that will make up a wee bit for the biggest mistake David Stern made in his career, IMO.....moving the Hornets from Charlotte in response to nagging from George Shinn. It ended up working out really well for us, but it was still originally an error, I think.

MonkeesFan
12-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Agree about the name not working for you and the name exchange. If we're going to do a round robin with names anyway, NO should get the Jazz name from Utah. Then Utah could be the Angels (an alternate name I heard for the Pelicans). Personally, I liked the Krewe. Pelicans sounds like a name my girls might have picked for their T-ball team. But whatever, it's their choice and maybe it will bring in a new fan or two. If Charlotte can take back the Hornets name, that will make up a wee bit for the biggest mistake David Stern made in his career, IMO.....moving the Hornets from Charlotte in response to nagging from George Shinn. It ended up working out really well for us, but it was still originally an error, I think.

Problem is that the Jazz will not give it up since they have good history during the Malone/Stockton era

ddavidson8
12-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Love it.

It is just a fan design, you want cartoonish, here you go

Hawk405359
12-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Krewe would be a great name for a semi-official group of fans, but as a team name? It sounds more like something I'd expect to see from the XFL. Brass would have been a great name, but the owner already owned the name Pelicans.

I'd be against them getting the Jazz back from Utah, although a lot of that is admittedly nostalgia because the Jazz were my favorite team growing up, and John Stockton is still my favorite all time player. The Jazz have such a built in history that that franchise has more claim than New Orleans to me. The Hornets, meanwhile, just never felt like they were building anything.

Just the facts
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
LOL - from the comments section on the ESPN story.

At halftime fans will try to shoot a 3-pointer into the mascots mouth...

MonkeesFan
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
LOL - from the comments section on the ESPC story.

Haha, funny!

OKCisOK4me
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I saw the design of the Pelicans logo, it is not official or anything but I have to say it looks sharp

This is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Thank god they didn't make us the Flycatchers based on the direction New Orleans is going with...