View Full Version : Let's be real. Who has the best macaroni and cheese in OKC?

bucktalk
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Republic?

Martin
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
i didn't much care for republic's mac & cheese. i like the version served at iron star. -M

boscorama
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Louie's, of all places!

Roger S
12-04-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm kind of partial to the mac & cheese at A Family Affair. Much like all the other foods they serve. It doesn't try to be fancy or pretentious.... just tasty.

My two favorite mac & cheeses in Q-raunts are Smokey's BBQ & Diner at 39th & Portland and Ray's Smokehouse in Norman.

Debzkidz
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I love the lobster mac & cheese at Cheevers.

jedicurt
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Louie's, of all places!

i really miss the Chicken Mac And Cheese Bake they used to have... i didn't like it when they took it off the menu

RadicalModerate
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
i do.

(the trick is being willing to make it from scratch. not chicken scratch but the scratch involving cleanup and so forth. it takes a long time because growing and grinding the Durham wheat for the pasta develops patience . . . which i think i heard was a virtue? =)

anything else is Hamburglar Helper.

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Good question, I have no idea since I rarely eat macaroini and cheese

BoulderSooner
12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
the ranch .. .lobster jalapeno bacon mac and cheese .. it really is not close

SSEiYah
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I love the lobster mac & cheese at Cheevers.
As of last week, it was no longer on the menu.

RadicalModerate
12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I would make some "Scallop" mac n cheeze but "scallops" are up to $28 a pound. Since I would be cutting them up anyways, I settled for some of those "bay scallops" in a bag ($8) marinated in a little balamic with some grated ginger and garlic. I could toss them into some elbow macaroni with a can of cream of mushroom soups to make a "cutting edge" faux-Minnesotan hotdish, but I have opted for cous-cous on a broiled Portobello platform. Maybe next time.

Tip for Mac N Cheese Lovers: Steer clear of any Cheese with a Z in the spelling.
(they could contain unacceptable amounts of free-range zombie)

ctchandler
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
RadicalModerate,
Today I saw U/10 scallops at Whole Foods for $21 per pound. A lot better than the $27 scallops I bought a month ago.
C. T.
I would make some "Scallop" mac n cheeze but "scallops" are up to $28 a pound.

Pete
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM

That sure does sound good!

Steve
12-04-2012, 05:27 PM
My mom.

G.Walker
12-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm kind of partial to the mac & cheese at A Family Affair. Much like all the other foods they serve. It doesn't try to be fancy or pretentious.... just tasty.

My two favorite mac & cheeses in Q-raunts are Smokey's BBQ & Diner at 39th & Portland and Ray's Smokehouse in Norman.

I agree, Ray's Smokeouse in Norman was the best mac and cheese I have tasted.

boscorama
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
i really miss the Chicken Mac And Cheese Bake they used to have... i didn't like it when they took it off the menu

Uh-oh, that's what I was talking about. Only had it once and was amazed. I rarely order mac&cheese because it's usually served after sitting out too long, sticking together and whatnot. Sorry it's gone. Man, I hate it when things I like are discontinued.

Larry OKC
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I would ask about it if you dont see it on the menu anymore. Not uncommon really for places to still have an item even if not on the menu. Taco Bell had the Frito burrito for at least a couple of years after it left the menu.

The mac & cheese at Dales BBQ on Western & sw 119th is excellent (so is their deep fried corn on the cob). Surprisingly, Braums has an excellent frozen version in the Fresh Markets (but I have been unable to locate it recently). Most of the stores still have a place on the shelf for it, but are mysteriously out.

Debzkidz
12-05-2012, 07:02 AM
As of last week, it was no longer on the menu.

I think I'm gonna cry.

Roger S
12-05-2012, 07:15 AM
The mac & cheese at Dales BBQ on Western & sw 119th is excellent .

How did I forget about Dale's (http://okbbqea.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-feel-at-home-in-dales-bbq-house.html)? I don't think it is as good as the other two Q-raunts I mentioned above but only for one reason. The pasta is over cooked. Even so I never pass it up as a side when I eat at Dale's

Sooner_Fan
12-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Some of the best I have had recently was at the Bayou Grill & Bakery in Edmond. It was homemade and is listed on the menu as a 5 cheese mac n cheese.

I am not a desert person preffering another portion of meat or sides instead of sweets. However, this place is the exception save room for the deserts!

MikeLucky
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Man, it's hard to beat the green chile mac and cheese at Hollie's.

Dubya61
12-05-2012, 09:41 AM
RadMod, if you care to, would you post your Scallop Mac and Cheese recipe on the home-cooking thread?
Could you (would you deign to) substitue any lobster, crab or (gasp) faux crab in the recipe?
Right now my favorite Mac and Cheese is Alton Brown's (Good Eat's) Mac and Cheese.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

Richard at Remax
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Iron Starr

metro
12-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Green chile Mac and cheese at Red Prime.

Soonerus
12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Try Rays and Blu in Norman, both excellent...

SoonerQueen
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Try Rays and Blu in Norman, both excellent...

Zio's has some dynamite mac and cheese. They mostly sell it on the kid's menu, but it is really good.

RickOKC
12-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Metro, I agree on the green chile macaroni and cheese from Red Prime. Cooked individually in small "crocks." It's one of the best side dishes I've ever eaten.

Teo9969
12-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Good combo, but it would be even better in Mahogany's Mac.

RadicalModerate
12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
RadMod, if you care to, would you post your Scallop Mac and Cheese recipe on the home-cooking thread?
Could you (would you deign to) substitue any lobster, crab or (gasp) faux crab in the recipe?
Right now my favorite Mac and Cheese is Alton Brown's (Good Eat's) Mac and Cheese.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html)

Funny that you mentioned liking the Alton Brown version of this classic "hotdish" because it is pretty much the outline of my version. I add a wider variety of cheeses. I should note here that I've never actually made a "Scallop" version, but I have most of a bag of those tiny "bay scallops" and I need to figure out a way to use them up. Since they are so small and take almost no time to cook, I think that I'll just stir them into the mix--and maybe add some Chef Paul Seafood Magic--then let them cook during the 30 min. baking time. Obviously, I see no problem with lobster, crab, or even faux crab. I would have to draw the line at Tofulob or Tocrabfu. When I actually get around to making this, I will post an easy to follow blueprint of the dish . . . if, of course, it is fit to eat. =)

BTW: Tyler Florence has a dish involving pasta and cheese and bacon and cipollini onions and butter and herbs that he noted was one of the best recipes in one of his Tyler's Ultimate cookbooks. I've made it a few times because it it SO GOOD and maybe the first time I thought: THIS is "Macaroni and Cheese Deluxo!" (although it called for tagliatelli which is impossible to find so I always substitute fettucini).