View Full Version : Lots of talk about Gundy leaving OSU

Pages : [1] 2 3

ou48A
12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Since this topic is now being reported on by several source I thought it needs its own thread

https://twitter.com/DaveSittler

Gundy got some bad advice if he's playing a game of chicken with Pickens and Holder.

ou48A
12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Not too many coaches have ever won a game of chicken with a billionaire.

adaniel
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I think Gundy stays and this turns out to be little more than a passive aggressive mind game played between Gundy, Holder and Boone.

He would be an idiot to leave to go to a program in disarray like Tennessee and Arkie.

MonkeesFan
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Gundy stays and this turns out to be little more than a passive aggressive mind game played between Gundy, Holder and Boone.

He would be an idiot to leave to go to a program in disarray like Tennessee and Arkie.

But Les was smart to leave Oklahoma State and won a championship at Louisana State....

Spartan
12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Sounds like the annual turmoil up in Stillwater..it's just Gundy and Holder fighting again :rolleyes:

Bostonfan
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
You don't interview for high profile jobs if you aren't ready to take them. I could be wrong, but I think he's gone.

zookeeper
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I know that T. Boone Pickens has donated a lot of money. Does that buy him a position of authority at a state institution? It would be a travesty if Pickens had a single word to say about anything regarding who's coaching at Oklahoma State. I'm not being naive, I'm looking past the nonsense that has become college football. If he's bought and paid for the OSU athletic department, then give him some title and hold him accountable to the state regents and the people of the state.

ou48A
12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
The exact details, we don’t know, but whenever you’re dealing with huge ego’s such as Pickens who acts like an franchise owner and who is a very old man, who must feel that his time is running out and has a known history of not caring very much about how his actions seriously impact tens of thousands, you can bet that Gundy has had his fill of T. Boone.

Going back many years many others have hated the man.
All this is bound to impact OSU recruiting to some extent?

ou48A
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Tennessee Volunteers Football, Basketball, and Recruiting Front Page (http://tennessee.scout.com)

Former National Coach of the Year in the running

Meet a candidate: Mike Gundy (http://tennessee.scout.com/2/1246072.html)

ou48A
12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Traber puts the odds of Gundy leaving at 60 /40

Spartan
12-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Traber puts the odds of Gundy leaving at 60 /40

Now you're really just salivating at the prospect of Gundy leaving Stillwater. I think you're a little obsessed ;)

ou48A
12-03-2012, 04:23 PM
It’s the biggest sports story of the day in Oklahoma!

kevinpate
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
If he wants to stay, get out of his way a bit. He seems to have an interesting program. If he wants to go, wish him well, throw him a fare thee well event and announce a replacement.

Either way, get it done and go forward. After all, he's well past 40 now. No need for any childish silliness in the process, no need at all.

Spartan
12-03-2012, 07:39 PM
It’s the biggest sports story of the day in Oklahoma!

You're not even hiding your glee ;)

Just the facts
12-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I like Gundy, but he isn't exactly building a power house. Don't let a few wins over OU cloud your judgement.

2005– 4–7 (1–7)
2006– 7–6 (3–5) — Independence Bowl vs. Alabama 34–31 (W)
2007– 7–6 (4–4) — Insight Bowl vs. Indiana 49–33 (W)
2008– 9–4 (5–3) — Holiday Bowl vs. Oregon 31–42 (L)
2009– 9–4 (6–2) — Cotton Bowl Classic vs. Ole Miss 21–7 (L)
2010– 11–2 (6–2) — Alamo Bowl vs. Arizona 36–10 (W)
2011– 12–1 (8–1)- Fiesta Bowl vs. Stanford 41-38 (W)
2012- 7-5 (5-4) - Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Purdue

ou48A
12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I don’t know how reliable this source is …… but

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Vols&src=hash

Jayson Swain‏@JaysonSwain
If Mike Gundy wants the job, I hear it's his. #Vols

catcherinthewry
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
don't let one win over ou cloud your judgement.

fify

OKCisOK4me
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
If he takes the job and he says "this is my New York Yankees job", he needs to be blackballed from oSu forever. Hell, I'll take Todd Monken as our new head coach. I think that guy could handle the job and do things about living in the Sooner State!

Spartan
12-04-2012, 07:54 AM
I don’t know how reliable this source is …… but

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Vols&src=hash

Jayson Swain‏@JaysonSwain
If Mike Gundy wants the job, I hear it's his. #Vols

Duh. That's how it was with Florida and TAMU last year.

SoonerDave
12-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I like Gundy, but he isn't exactly building a power house. Don't let a few wins over OU cloud your judgement.

2005– 4–7 (1–7)

It isn't about building a "powerhouse," though. Its about doing what he's done with the available resources and the location in which he's done it.

There are very few states the size of Oklahoma that have two successful collegiate programs. For decades, OSU has played second fiddle to OU in recruits, wins, titles, the works. Gundy, with the help of some great new facilities from T. Boone, has turned that around. OU now has to fight for some of those high-profile recruits. OSU is no longer seen as a conference also-ran. To suggest Gundy has little to no part in that just doesn't make sense.

I have absolutely no insight at all into whether he leaves or goes. But it makes perfect sense to me that any other athletic director in need of a coach would look at what he's done, where he's done it, and think "Geez, if that guy can do that there...wonder if he can do that here...." Tennessee is in a peculiarly ideal position for precisely that kind of gamble. Not saying by any means its a done deal, no secret headlines or sources here, but anyone thinking its purely posturing I think is fooling himself.

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I'll admit, Gundy is not the problem at OSU. They need to be playing a weaker non-conference schudule and their tough conference games need to come sooner in the season. If OSU/OU played the first game of the season OSU would have won all of them over the last 5 years. OU doesn't even start playing football until the 3rd or 4th game of the season and OSU seems to fold down the stretch.

Spartan
12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I think Gundy has a reputation in college football of using other jobs as leverage with T. Boone whenever they are having a fight, so I am surprised SEC schools take him very seriously as a candidate. That's not to say he's not an A-list coach, I just don't think it translates in marketable ways for other programs.

Supposedly he and Boone/Holder are just fighting over scheduling, which Gundy currently has no say in. Gundy is upset about all of these marquee games with Miss State, FSU, and I guess OSU-Arizona was starting to feel like a conference game. OSU has just one out of conference game in Stillwater next year, with the rest in Texas (one in Alamodome, other at Relient Stadium).

ddavidson8
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
What's the Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Gundy is upset about all of these marquee games with Miss State, FSU, and I guess OSU-Arizona was starting to feel like a conference game. OSU has just one out of conference game in Stillwater next year, with the rest in Texas (one in Alamodome, other at Relient Stadium).

Compare that to Tennessee's 2013 OOC schedule.

Home games against Austin Peay, Western Kentucky, and South Alabama with a single road game against Oregon (3rd game of season - so plenty of time to recover in the polls from that loss).

Or Arkansas

Home games against Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns and Southern Miss Golden Eagles a game in Little Rock vs Samford Bulldogs and a road game against Rutgers.

Conclusion: The BIG XII needs to wake up with their scheduling.

SoonerDave
12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I think Gundy has a reputation in college football of using other jobs as leverage with T. Boone whenever they are having a fight, so I am surprised SEC schools take him very seriously as a candidate. That's not to say he's not an A-list coach, I just don't think it translates in marketable ways for other programs.

Supposedly he and Boone/Holder are just fighting over scheduling, which Gundy currently has no say in. Gundy is upset about all of these marquee games with Miss State, FSU, and I guess OSU-Arizona was starting to feel like a conference game. OSU has just one out of conference game in Stillwater next year, with the rest in Texas (one in Alamodome, other at Relient Stadium).

Very valid point. However, I that's why I think the (alleged) extended meeting between Gundy and the Hart (Tenn. AD) is significant. I think the latter is seeing if Gundy's serious, and the longer that meeting went, the more persuaded he became that there was legitimate interest. It's one thing for an AD to make the trip, but its another entirely to stay at a guys house purportedly for several hours and have nothing to discuss other than the weather.

See, there's another risk here on the Gundy side, which does fall into your point - if you play games with other schools, eventually they stop listening. If this is just a power play by Gundy, and he really doesn't intend to leave, he will have done precisely as you've said; the other schools will simply stop taking him seriously, and he won't have an out. He'll be stuck at the wrong end of Pickens' and Holder's phone for his entire tenure at OSU, without options. If he really senses that he wants out, chances are high he'll never have a better opportunity.

onthestrip
12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
OU fans certainly have taken an interest with this story..

He hasnt toyed with other schools every year, it really started last year when contract negotiations were going on. Holder foolishly had give Travis Ford a big extension and Gundy wanted something similar. Hardly unreasonable on Gundy's part. Now this year it looks like this it is more serious and for more say in who they play, I guess?

And no matter how many years he does this with other schools, they will always still come calling. Every school thinks they can get almost any coach. Gundy still puts out wins, schools will still come calling. Hell, Stoops doesnt even give schools the time of day but it doesnt stop them from calling every year.

Basically Holder is liked by very few, but one of them is Boone so there isnt much you can do besides wait til something happens to Boone (peacefully passing away, perhaps) and then we can fire Holder and get a real AD.

Lastly, Just the Facts, some of your resonses leave me to believe you dont know much about football or OSU. You put up Gundys record as a coach and say that he hasnt done much? You serious. Hes only coached the greatest 4 year stretch in OSU's history (08-11).

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Ummm...

1983– 8–4 (3–4) — Bluebonnet Bowl vs. Baylor 24–14 (W)
1984– 10–2 (5–2) — Gator Bowl vs. South Carolina 21–14 (W)
1985– 8–4 (4–3) — Gator Bowl vs. Florida State 23–34 (L)
1986– 6–5 (4–3)
1987– 10–2 (5–2) — Sun Bowl vs. West Virginia 35–33 (W)
1988– 10–2 (5–2) — Holiday Bowl vs. Wyoming 62–14 (W)

The last 4 years have been pretty good (by OSU standards according to you). However, I am not blamming Gundy. Like I said, I like the guy. They just need to fix their scheduling (the whole Big XII does).

onthestrip
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Not sure what 83-88 records show other than I'm right, that Gundy was head coach during best 4 year stretch. I believe it is the most wins in 4 years (along with outright big12 title, fiesta bowl win) so I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a better 4 year stretch.

And should big12 just have OSU OU Texas and Kstate all play in late August? That'd be a little absurd and would definitely make the rest of the season pretty boring.

Spartan
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Very valid point. However, I that's why I think the (alleged) extended meeting between Gundy and the Hart (Tenn. AD) is significant. I think the latter is seeing if Gundy's serious, and the longer that meeting went, the more persuaded he became that there was legitimate interest. It's one thing for an AD to make the trip, but its another entirely to stay at a guys house purportedly for several hours and have nothing to discuss other than the weather.

See, there's another risk here on the Gundy side, which does fall into your point - if you play games with other schools, eventually they stop listening. If this is just a power play by Gundy, and he really doesn't intend to leave, he will have done precisely as you've said; the other schools will simply stop taking him seriously, and he won't have an out. He'll be stuck at the wrong end of Pickens' and Holder's phone for his entire tenure at OSU, without options. If he really senses that he wants out, chances are high he'll never have a better opportunity.

I disagree, although we agree that Gundy likes to play games - the reason he does that is because Pickens/Holder absolutely take advantage of his loyalty. I think it's completely accurate that the UT job is his if he wants it (supposedly Arky is going to get Petersen?? announcing soon??) and I don't even think Hart takes Gundy's interest very seriously.

The bottom line is if a Gundy or a Stoops or a Les calls and says their interested, you have to put them to the top of your list, no matter if they don't seemingly have much to gain from a new job. Nothing they do in prior job searches can change that.

Spartan
12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Compare that to Tennessee's 2013 OOC schedule.

Home games against Austin Peay, Western Kentucky, and South Alabama with a single road game against Oregon (3rd game of season - so plenty of time to recover in the polls from that loss).

Or Arkansas

Home games against Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns and Southern Miss Golden Eagles a game in Little Rock vs Samford Bulldogs and a road game against Rutgers.

Conclusion: The BIG XII needs to wake up with their scheduling.

Yeah we have got to stop playing this round robin schedule where we all eat each other up. I know that we don't want new schools in the league to have to split up the TV revenue more ways, but maybe we could not play 2 of these games on a rotating basis or something? That would free up room/energy/leverage for a serious OOC schedule.

One or the other. Can't do both because when your scheduling only gives yourself a 50/50 shot EVERY weekend there's not a single A-list coach (in our league it's Stoops, Gundy, Patterson, Snyder) that would do very well with those odds.

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
OSU (all Big XII teams) should play 7 conference games every year. This gives 2 teams the opportunity to go 12-0, and 4 teams a chance to go 11-1. They should play those 7 conference games in the first 9 games of the season and end with 2 or 3 easy OOC games. If they play a marque game it should occur in the first 3 games of the season and be a home and home series with no netural sites in pace of a home game. If the other team wants to give up their home game for a neutral site then great.

Is that boring? Ask the SEC if that type of schedule is boring.

SoonerDave
12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
OSU (all Big XII teams) should play 7 conference games every year. This gives 2 teams the opportunity to go 12-0, and 4 teams a chance to go 11-1. They should play those 7 conference games in the first 9 games of the season and end with 2 or 3 easy OOC games. If they play a marque game it should occur in the first 3 games of the season and be a home and home series with no netural sites in pace of a home game. If the other team wants to give up their home game for a neutral site then great.

Is that boring? Ask the SEC if that type of schedule is boring.

Don't think you'll get the athletic departments to go along with that on an ongoing basis. Bad games in the cold(er)-weather part of the season, plus playing the "easy OOC games" late invites the risk of injury against a nobody prior to a presumed CCG. The SEC did something like this during the season, but I think it was more of a scheduling quirk than an intentional effort...not sure.

I'm old-guard; like round robin specifically BECAUSE it pits everyone against everyone. You don't have one of these situations where a one division winner gets there only because they didn't play the strong team from the other division, but the guy who finishes next did.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Gundy may be Hogs (http://m.harrisondaily.com/gundy-may-be-hogs-new-football-coach/article_46216ab6-3e37-11e2-912c-001a4bcf887a.html)

FAYETTEVILLE — According to sources, though not officially confirmed, Oklahoma State University Coach Mike Gundy is expected to be named Arkansas’ new head football coach, possibly as soon as Wednesday.

Arkansas and Tennessee both have been inquiring for Gundy’s services for their coaching vacancies

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
How is playing Orange County Community College any more risky for late season injuries than playing OU in late November? The Big XII needs to wise up or the SEC is going to be putting 3 ot 4 teams in the BCS playoffs.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Rumor is that Robert Allen said Gundy has an (HOG) offer and has until tomorrow to decide.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Nathan Thompson‏@NathanDThompson

Word out of Arkansas seems to be Mike Gundy took the Razorback job. Something should be official soon

betts
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
If it were me, the biggest advantage of Tennessee is that you're the big dog in the state, with no one to compete with, you've got a massive stadium filled with pretty rabid fans. And you get to be in the SEC. You may have to compete more, but if you compete well, you're respected. It's hard to get respect in the Big Whatever (my name for the big 12.....er 10).

SoonerDave
12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
How is playing Orange County Community College any more risky for late season injuries than playing OU in late November? The Big XII needs to wise up or the SEC is going to be putting 3 ot 4 teams in the BCS playoffs.

The point is the risk is taken against a game that means something, rather than OCCC...

That is, you blow through your early conference schedule, you win your division, you're primed for a conference title game, maybe even national title, and your starting QB tears his ACL against Popcorn State? Yeah, it sucks if it happens against a conference opponent, but if you do it late season with the big prize all-but staring you in the face, lots of people start asking "why are we playing nobody in November, anyway?"

Just my $0.02.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
John Helsley‏@jjhelsley

Just got it from another strong source that Gundy has NOT been hired at Ark. And from another that Tenn not appealing... #okstate

Retweeted by Nathan Thompson

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
David Morrison‏@DavidCMorrison

So let me get this straight: The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is reporting that Mike Gundy both is and is not Arkansas' next coach

SoonerDave
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Rumor is that Robert Allen said Gundy has an (HOG) offer and has until tomorrow to decide.

Twitterverse is replete with conflicting stories about Gundy to Arkansas...one says its happening, one says it isn't.

One report for Arkansas Democrat Gazette writer sez its not Gundy. Another says it is.

Gotta love this time of year in college ball. LOL.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
George Schroeder‏@GeorgeSchroeder

Arkansas is nearing its next coach - but it is not Mike Gundy, a person familiar with the search tells @USATODAYSports Arkansas not hiring Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/04/college-football-arkansas-coach-mike-gundy/1745733/) …

dankrutka
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM

2005– 4–7 (1–7)

This is easily the greatest run in Oklahoma State football history. If Gundy leaves then that program will fall off just like K-State did after Snyder left. He built a consistent winner like no one else has been able to do (Pat Jones had a five good years, but then the program fell off). The hubris of Holder and Pickens will lead OSU back to where they were... irrelevant.

Bellaboo
12-04-2012, 12:25 PM

So let me get this straight: The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is reporting that Mike Gundy both is and is not Arkansas' next coach

Hey, that way they got it right no matter who's selected.

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
This is easily the greatest run in Oklahoma State football history. If Gundy leaves then that program will fall off just like K-State did after Snyder left. He built a consistent winner like no one else has been able to do (Pat Jones had a five good years, but then the program fell off). The hubris of Holder and Pickens will lead OSU back to where they were... irrelevant.

Yup and Oklahoma State winning their first Big 12 title last year is impressive, I hope Gundy leaves though ;)

Just the facts
12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Not sure why this gets confusing. Gundy has done wonders for OSU but OSU is not a national powerhouse. Are OSU fans happy just being the best OSU team or are they interested in being the best team in college football? Gundy isn't what is holding them back. I agree with Gundy, the main problem resides elseware.

OKCDrummer77
12-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Schroedinger's Coach?

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema took the Arkansas job and from what I have been reading on Wisconsin message boards, the fans are pissed, shocked, and saddened and I can not say I blame them, they lost a very good coach...

Spartan
12-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Nathan Thompson‏@NathanDThompson

Word out of Arkansas seems to be Mike Gundy took the Razorback job. Something should be official soon

Sorry to ruin your day but Gundy will still be in Stillwater. Bielema just accepted the Arkansas job, it's all over the ESPN front page right now.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry to ruin your day but Gundy will still be in Stillwater. Bielema just accepted the Arkansas job, it's all over the ESPN front page right now.As often as you have been wrong, you’re incapable of ruining my day LOL

ou48A
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
“If Gundy is just playing this in a power move, its like suicide.
You don't pull this kind of stuff on Pickens and live happily ever after.”

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
So now there is Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Auburn looking for head coaches, will Gundy go for any of those 3 teams?

Hawk405359
12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
OSU hasn't built up the name that other schools have, and they won't if they only play cupcakes in out of conference games. They need at least one good matchup there. Third week of the season to work out the kinks and give you time to recover if you lose. SEC teams can get by playing garbage because they've won all the national titles as of late, Ok. State has to at least put something of note on their schedule if they want to have a chance of reaching that status

MonkeesFan
12-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Cross Auburn off the list, Auburn hired Gus Malzahn from Arkansas State

So now, there is Arkansas State, Winscosin and Tennessee, will Gundy go for those 3?

onthestrip
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
“If Gundy is just playing this in a power move, its like suicide.
You don't pull this kind of stuff on Pickens and live happily ever after.”

While its probably safe to say that Boone usually gets his way, however he would be stupid to let Gundy go to another school. If that were to happen what does Boone/Holder do? Go hire the best coach they can find, most likely have a couple rebuilding years, hope he wins and then lose him to another school in 5 years if he does and then start all over? Pretty foolish strategy by Boone. Surely he realizes that Gundy provides the best oppurtunity for fielding a consistent winner and providing program stability.

OSU hasn't built up the name that other schools have, and they won't if they only play cupcakes in out of conference games. They need at least one good matchup there. Third week of the season to work out the kinks and give you time to recover if you lose. SEC teams can get by playing garbage because they've won all the national titles as of late, Ok. State has to at least put something of note on their schedule if they want to have a chance of reaching that status

No one cares come November who you played back in August. All that matters is wins and losses. OSU isnt going to "build up their name" by playing an Oregon, Florida, Ohio State type every year, especially when they lose. They will build up their name just like they did in 2011. By winning 11 games and getting to the Fiesta Bowl. As a fan would I like to see a big time non-conf matchup? Sure, but wins are more important.

Hawk405359
12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
No one cares come November who you played back in August. All that matters is wins and losses. OSU isnt going to "build up their name" by playing an Oregon, Florida, Ohio State type every year, especially when they lose. They will build up their name just like they did in 2011. By winning 11 games and getting to the Fiesta Bowl. As a fan would I like to see a big time non-conf matchup? Sure, but wins are more important.

Yeah, they sort of do. That's how you have a hope of getting in if you do stumble along the way. And if you beat no one getting there, you may not get in even if you do have the wins for it. OSU doesn't have the luxury of coasting off a name.

Spartan
12-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, OSU had a much stronger schedule than Alabama last year. I wonder how much that ended up being worth...

It can't really be all that surprising that Gundy is over playing tough OOC schedules. They've been damned if they do, damned if they don't, and at the end of the day it makes no difference with pollsters. Alabama gets in one way or another.

Hawk405359
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, OSU had a much stronger schedule than Alabama last year. I wonder how much that ended up being worth...

It can't really be all that surprising that Gundy is over playing tough OOC schedules. They've been damned if they do, damned if they don't, and at the end of the day it makes no difference with pollsters. Alabama gets in one way or another.

They got in because the SEC has had such incredible success outside of conference for the last several years by beating just about every team they faced in a big game. The SEC can coast off their name now because of it, even against deserving teams. The Big 12 has no such luxury, they still have to beat people outside of their conference in big games. Sucks, but it's the way the sport is right now. Not that long ago the Big 12 could have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

ou48A
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Tennessee is still rumored to be in play with the possibility of Cale going too.

onthestrip
12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, they sort of do. That's how you have a hope of getting in if you do stumble along the way. And if you beat no one getting there, you may not get in even if you do have the wins for it. OSU doesn't have the luxury of coasting off a name.

Building up their name and impressing pollsters are two different things. Most teams should try their best to go undefeated if they want to get to championship game. They shouldnt even be making contingency if they lose. Are they supposed to look 5 years down the road and think, "well we play at OU that year so we might lose, lets schedule Michigan that year so we might have an extra good win...assuming we win."

I think OSU scheduling a Miss St, Zona or other mid pack teams in BCS conferences is a good enough strategy. Every 5 years or so if they want to do a FSU game (whats been mentioned, at Jerry World) then fine. But OSU doesnt need that every year to "build up a name"